• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Totobeni said:
Batman Begins PS2 = shitty game based on shitty overhyped movie

The third act of Batman Begins does weaken the film a touch, particularly with the whole "Narrows" bit and the Gothic almost Burton-esque shift in the film. But calling it over-hyped shit is absolutely ridiculous and makes it impossible for me to respect any other opinion offered in your post. It's an outrageous statement that reeks of outrage for the sake of outrage. Perhaps you would be better served sharing your views at a local town hall?

The Dark Knight did something in surpassing it's predecessor that we really haven't seen since The Empire Strikes Back or Godfather Part II, but Begins is still a shining example of doing it right in the comic film genre.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
pixel monkey said:
The third act of Batman Begins does weaken the film a touch, particularly with the whole "Narrows" bit and the Gothic almost Burton-esque shift in the film. But calling it over-hyped shit is absolutely ridiculous and makes it impossible for me to respect any other opinion offered in your post. It's an outrageous statement that reeks of outrage for the sake of outrage. Perhaps you would be better served sharing your views at a local town hall?

The Dark Knight did something in surpassing it's predecessor that we really haven't seen since The Empire Strikes Back or Godfather Part II, but Begins is still a shining example of doing it right in the comic film genre.

;_ ; you broke my heart .

uh , I can't force you or anyone to agree with my opinion , because people opinions are different ya know , and you are in a forum there are thousands of different , just deal with it .

anyway , The Dark Knight is the best Batman movie , the greatest superhero movie of all time imo , even when I still love the comic feel of Burton Batman 1989 , but Batman Begins , oh holy unholy , not for "sake of outrage " I like Batman movie and I loved The Dark Knight , but that pieces of shit was boring , slow , pointless , uninspired and anything but a batman movie the whole time .

Totobeni said:
;_ ; I like Batman movie and I loved The Dark Knight , but that pieces of shit was boring , slow , pointless , uninspired and anything but a batman movie the whole time .

pointless? POINTLESS? Gahasgsjanaskjdnmfds

bill0527

Alright goddamnit, I pre-ordered the PS3 version of this bitch. Played the demo twice and I love it.

I'm going to be very pissed off though if I just paid $64 and change for a 6-hour game. I don't buy too many new games anymore. In fact, I think this is the very first new game that I've purchased this year.

Great Batman films: The Dark Knight.
Good Batman films: Batman Begins.
Okay Batman films: Batman (1989); Batman Returns; Batman (1943 serial).
Bad Batman films: Batman Forever; Batman & Robin; Batman (1966).

bill0527 said:
I'm going to be very pissed off though if I just paid $64 and change for a 6-hour game.
Several reviews have commented on the game's above-average length (relative to modern standards, at least) of ~12 hours. You can also free-roam Arkham after the game's conclusion to find any secrets you missed (I think there are 200+ Riddler clues/trophies), and it has 16 challenge rooms (8 brawling, 8 stealth) you can play over and over again, with leaderboards. The PS3 will also have an additional 8 challenge rooms to download, in which you play as the Joker.

It's got plenty of content, certainly more than most games of its ilk.

GQman2121

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Several reviews have commented on the game's above-average length (relative to modern standards, at least) of ~12 hours. You can also free-roam Arkham after the game's conclusion to find any secrets you missed (I think there are 200+ Riddler clues/trophies), and it has 16 challenge rooms (8 brawling, 8 stealth) you can play over and over again, with leaderboards. The PS3 will also have an additional 8 challenge rooms to download, in which you play as the Joker.

I believe the Joker stuff is already on the disc. It's not DLC at all.

bill0527

Shake Appeal said:

Good to hear.

GQman2121 said:
I believe the Joker stuff is already on the disc. It's not DLC at all.
I thought I read somewhere that you would have to connect to PSN and download it (for free, obviously), but I could easily be wrong.

bill0527 said:
Alright goddamnit, I pre-ordered the PS3 version of this bitch. Played the demo twice and I love it.

I'm going to be very pissed off though if I just paid $64 and change for a 6-hour game. I don't buy too many new games anymore. In fact, I think this is the very first new game that I've purchased this year.

Why would you pay $64? It's on amazon for $48.

Totobeni said:
I like Batman movie and I loved The Dark Knight , but that pieces of shit was boring , slow , pointless , uninspired and anything but a batman movie the whole time .

Can you please explain this statement? How was this perfectly cast (with the exception of Katie Holmes) origin story (with roots in Batman: Year One) in any way shape or form pointless?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Never used the Ignore Button before, but now I know where to find it, if I ever need to use it again!

Maybe the Joker content is DLC, so they don't have to change alot in the manufactoring process?? Which probably doesn't make sense, if it's DVD vs. Bluray.

bill0527

Gully State said:
Why would you pay $64? It's on amazon for $48.

Its showing $54 for me on Amazon and by the time I pay tax and shipping, I'm not saving anything. I could always get free super saver shipping, but wouldn't get the game until the next week.

Plus you get the pre-order bonus if you get it at Gamestop, which is a bonus Scarecrow challenge map.

Tedesco!

pixel monkey said:

You forgot Aliens.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I might buy this game, it's kinda depending on the length of the game. Does anybody know how long it takes to complete the game?

Tedesco! said:
You forgot Aliens.

I adore Cameron's Aliens, but it is an entirely different type of film than Scott's Alien. While Aliens is (IMHO) the perfect example of action sci-fi, and it is a nearly flawless film, Alien is sci-fi horror done better than anyone had done it before or, I believe, since.

They're both amazing movies, but they are entirely different genres within the greater realm of science fiction.

Gamereactor (the Swedish/Scandinavian magazine -- does anyone know if they have different scores in the different countries?) have given this 9/10 too.

how exclusive is this content really for the ps3 version?

also, why is there a 1.2g install for the ps3? I doubt there will much of a graphical difference

Solo

pixel monkey said:

Most days I still prefer BB to TDK.

rataplein

I'm a little worried about the game lenght.

But i think that 24 challenge maps are going to extend the life of the game. Trying to get the best combo, o the fastest time it's going to be a blast.

Somebody knows if there going to be boards?, with best combo points, and stuff?

Edit: When i say 24 i was referring to the ps3 version. But i'm sure that there is going to be DLC, with more maps =)

Reviews update:

[English]
GamesMaster: 96%
Game Informer: 9.5 (Second Opinion: 9.5)
Xbox World 360: 95%
PlayStation Beyond: 9.0
The Official Playstation Magazine (UK): 9/10
Playstation: The Official Magazine (US): 9/10
Official Xbox Magazine (Australia): 9/10
Total Film: 5/5
Focus: 5/5

[German]
ConsolPLUS/Consol.AT: 91%
M! Games: 90%
360 Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)
Play³: 90%
GamesTM: 9/10
PS3M: 9/10

[French]
Jeux Vidéo Magazine: 19/20
PSM3: 19/20

[Scandinavian]
Pelaaja: 10/10
Gamereactor: 9/10

Solo said:
Most days I still prefer BB to TDK.

Interesting. I do love the beginning of Begins, with the back story presented in a way we haven't really seen before, the training, the development of Batman's moral code, that he will not take a life and his initial foray into crime fighting. And despite my misgivings about the more Burton-esque Gotham, Rhas
(and the slight of hand involving his character)
is a highlight and
the Joker's calling card at the end of the film is a wonderful tease.

What is it about the first film that you found superior to the second?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
probably late but i'll take my chances:

20090814.jpg

:lol

http://www.penny-arcade.com

-COOLIO- said:
Here's what Tycho had to say about the demo a few days back:

We were pleasantly surprised by the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo! I have helpfully included an exclamation point there to emphasize the full extent of our surprise. I've absorbed the marketing salvo for this title in its entirety, but extrapolating from such materials is a dubious affair, augury at best.

Demo length is something that is starting to get a little out of control, or perhaps I should say that it is controlled too much, in that there's almost no demo present these days. When I download a gigabyte of data, I'm looking for something more than what they've offered here. They introduce two strong concepts in the demo: smooth combat versus multiple opponents, and a kind of stealth game where you "hunt" a room from the shadows. At the end of the demo, they imply combat against a single opponent, but having experience with the other systems, I'm having a hard time imagining one-on-one combat as being a position of strength for them, and the demo ends at the very moment you could find out.

Optimally, a demo shows me how they are able to synthesize the concepts they present. The PC demo for Arkham Asylum is two Goddamned gigs, and I assume it delivers the same meager scraps. For someone as ravenous as I was, devouring every piece of existing content, maybe this fro-yo sample spoon is sufficient to inspire a purchase. For anyone else, I might wonder what they were afraid to show.

Shake Appeal said:
Here's what Tycho had to say about the demo a few days back:

I just went to my local ebgames store, where I pre-purchased the game. The Clerk told me that Pre-purchases increased tenfolds when the demo hit. So I guess the demo was successful.

The Bookerman said:
I just went to my local ebgames store, where I pre-purchased the game.

Did you pre-order it, or pre-purchase it? Because the whole pre-purchasing thing really makes no sense to me.

Why would anyone want to give Game Giant Employee Hating Customer Fuckover on Used Games Stop (Trademark Pending) an interest free loan?

Volcynika

pixel monkey said:
Did you pre-order it, or pre-purchase it? Because the whole pre-purchasing thing really makes no sense to me.

Why would anyone want to give Game Giant Employee Hating Customer Fuckover on Used Games Stop (Trademark Pending) an interest free loan?

Because some people aren't so bent out of shape about some companies and really don't care.

Volcynika said:
Because some people aren't so bent out of shape about some companies and really don't care.

There's "bent out of shape" and there's educating yourself as a consumer. World of difference, mate.

Or, we could all just buy more and more knick-knacks at Wal-Mart, rent our videos at Blockbuster, and pre-purchase our games at GameStop. If that's the road you choose, more power to you.

Ephemeris

darkjedi187 said:
That is really tempting

It sure is.

Pros- Tax free! Great price.

Cons - I'm pretty sure I'd be getting it 3 days later. Though newegg has been good to me in the past. And, I guess you don't get the comic? :lol It's a preorder bonus I forgot existed.

Solo

pixel monkey said:
What is it about the first film that you found superior to the second?

Character development. Sure, the movie falls apart a bit and becomes a generic actioner once he dons the Batman suit, but the first hour of the movie, from opening up until the Batman introduction, is brilliantly crafted. By comparison, TDK felt light in this area, and was more concerned with the overarching themes. I enjoy both lots though, but I like the smaller scope and more intimate flair of BB.

Volcynika

pixel monkey said:
There's "bent out of shape" and there's educating yourself as a consumer. World of difference, mate.

Or, we could all just buy more and more knick-knacks at Wal-Mart, rent our videos at Blockbuster, and pre-purchase our games at GameStop. If that's the road you choose, more power to you.

I'm educated, but I don't feel any reason to go "NO I WONT PRE-PURCHASE THIS BECAUSE YOU DONT DESERVE THE INTEREST."

Yeesh. I preordered from Amazon myself, but pre-purchasing is fine, some people like to just go ahead and get it all out of the way. I pre-order (pre-purchase if I have the money) from places that treat me well and don't give me any hassles. I enjoy just being able to walk in, say who I am, and walk out with the title I preordered. But good on you for "fighting for the consumers" or whatever you want to call it.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I absolutely agree with Tycho. Brutal Legend, Uncharted 2, Batman - so many super long videos of stuff I'd rather wait to enjoy myself.

Solo said:
Character development. Sure, the movie falls apart a bit and becomes a generic actioner once he dons the Batman suit, but the first hour of the movie, from opening up until the Batman introduction, is brilliantly crafted. By comparison, TDK felt light in this area, and was more concerned with the overarching themes. I enjoy both lots though, but I like the smaller scope and more intimate flair of BB.

There certainly is more character development, particularly with the brilliant re-telling of the origin.

And while there is not so much development and back story, what with Batman's already covered, and particularly with the Joker in Knight, that character is so explosive (sometimes literally), so much sheer unchained rage, that when he is onscreen...it's impossible (for me anyway) to even look away for a moment.

Dent certainly received a bit more screen development than we've ever seen, and Rachel is actually watchable this time around, but it really is the Joker's film.

I appreciate what you're saying about Begins, and I do love that film as well. With my comparisons to Empire and Godfather Part II, it should also be noted that Star Wars (I refuse to call it Episode IV or A New Hope or whatever Lucas wants to call it now) and The Godfather were exceptional films as well.

It's interesting that the power and resonance of Nolan's Gotham can clearly be seen in Arkham Asylum as well, in Batman's more realistic, re-designed body armor-like suit and the Joker's make-up.

It looks to be an incredible mish-mash of Dini's animated world with Conroy and Hammil, and the hardness and reality of Rocksteady's take on Nolan's visual style.

RavenFox

Banned
bill0527 said:

Uhmm you can get this game for $47 on Amazon. Look back in the thread. Discount codes abound.

Shake Appeal said:
Amen.

GQman2121 said:
That's an odd choice--I mean they're throwing some heavy marketing behind the fact that the Joker stuff is exclusive, but if you're not connected online you luck out? That's fucked up.
Before you spit foul why don't you find out why hmm? You have to play through certain parts of the game to unlock some things.

Ken Masters said:
how exclusive is this content really for the ps3 version?

also, why is there a 1.2g install for the ps3? I doubt there will much of a graphical difference
Probably faster loading in certain areas.

Shake Appeal said:

Don't forget about Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and the unedited version of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. I'd place those at least in the Good category.

CiSTM

Banned
Has anyone managed to get copy of it ? My friend is playing the review copy and just called me that the game is actually really great. My friend does usually have good taste when it comes to games but I would like to hear other opinions.

Top Bottom