• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Minamu

I thought the
batcave was a second cave, since it's located underneath Arkham, just in case this shit happened. Which it did :)

I loved the demo, I loved every minute of it, I played it like 5 times and I found 2 hidden trophies(which sadly don't show up), I love being able to tackle on different situations with a diversity of possibilities and gadgets, I love having to be stealthy and careful about it, I love the free-flow combat, how easy and cool it looks yet, how fun it can be if you get good at it. I love the story, the setting, the presentation, the villains and the main character. And I bet we all love feeling like batman and seeing all the cool things we can do.

However, I could see this game failing by being too repetitive, you always see batman fighting the same kind of enemies in this trailers(the normal thugs, the normal thugs with weapons and the mutant thugs), the game needs variety, good level design, puzzles, exploration, etc.

I read in a preview they were aiming for Metroid Prime - like design, like getting weapons, going back, exploring, etc. I hope that's true, but the trailers don't point out to much variety, that's what Im saying.

Btw, that was an unfair ban, and you can't say he was attempting to be inflammation, people had already started(subtlety and then increasing in tone) and he was just mocking their lame attempts to be undetected

Varth

Shake Appeal said:
They confirmed Robin won't appear, as B:AA apparently pre-dates Robin in the timeline

He doesn't appear, but the game doesn't pre-date him, since a particularly creepy dialogue (an optional one) makes a reference to him.

On a side note: close to platinum, whoo-hoo! Last two freeflow challenge stars are a bitch, but I trust I'll crack them before returning to the office.

GCQuinton

Shake Appeal said:
They confirmed Robin won't appear, as B:AA apparently pre-dates Robin in the timeline (which doesn't really make sense, but whatever, retconretconretcon). Latest trailer shows
the Batcave, so maybe Alfred will make an appearance.

This may or may not spoil something for people who don't follow the comics,
Batman has a backup (one of many) Batcave in Arkham Asylum so that would neccessarily help the chances of someone else showing up

GCQuinton said:
Batman has a backup (one of many) Batcave in Arkham Asylum so that would neccessarily help the chances of someone else showing up
True, and that makes a lot more sense, since the whole game is meant to be set on the "island"/penninsula of Arkham.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
TitaniumGroceries said:
Xbox 360 is the worst console ever and not as good as the PS3!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you wasn't banned. Didn't realise your were being sarcastic.

bill0527

Is the Batcave for Playstation Home going to be free?

I just started messing around with home the last couple of days and none of the other living spaces are free. There's a nice Ghostbusters one and a couple of others, but they all want 5 bucks.

For that matter, is anything at all on Playstation Home free other than the mini games. Do people actually pay real money for new furniture and clothes?

chris0701

Batman:AA could be the best Batman videogame this decade.

The production value is amazingly high for we would expect.Kudos to Eidos/Rocksteady studio.

mileS

Really enjoyed the demo minus the camera. Maybe its my fault because the last couple of games i've played had inverted camera controls. Anyone else had problems with it?

DeepFriedMuppet

Neo Member
mileS said:
Really enjoyed the demo minus the camera. Maybe its my fault because the last couple of games i've played had inverted camera controls. Anyone else had problems with it?

You can invert both camera axes in the options menu.

You can also turn off 'camera assist' which I found made the camera feel much better. I think it's intended to help more casual people that don't constantly adjust the camera on the right stick like most of us probably do.

Ephemeris

morningbus said:
It finally clicked with me: the voice that comes over the Arkham PA system reminding Prisoners to take their medication is the voice of the Rabbit from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends..
Oh snap. Never caught that.

brendanrfoley said:
That was all kinds of awesome.

chris0701 said:
Batman:AA could be the best Batman videogame this decade..

That's not hard to do.:lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
chris0701 said:
Batman:AA could be the best Batman videogame this decade.

could be ? ...

are there any average or decent Batman games in the last 10 years ? they all below Mediocre ( yeah even the shitty Lego shovelware ) and pure licensed crap .

Batman & Robin on PSone = shit
Batman Beyond on PSone = pure shit
Batman: Gotham City Racer Psone = lol
Batman Vengeance PS2 = meh
Batman: Dark Tomorrow Xbox = WTF is this shit
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu PS2 = meh
Batman Begins PS2 = shitty game based on shitty overhyped movie
Lego Batman Xbox 360 = Shovelware for kids ( sorry Lego fans )

this game WILL end this misery

Dunlop

Totobeni said:
Batman Begins PS2 = shitty game based on shitty overhyped movie

You had me until this one statement that proves you are batshit insane

Batman Begins ranks up there with the top superhero movies of all time.

:D

edit with the exception of the Dawson Creek chick. I don't know what blackmain was used to put her in that otherwise stellar cast

Just got a new score in the demo, 2420. Can anyone beat that? I think it's possible to get 2500+ in the demo if you perfect it, but don't really know where I can pick up additional points.

Nizz

Played the demo and it was fun. One of the best uses of UE3 on PS3 yet. I think the game looks great. I wonder how the detective parts will play out...

Smokey

Just got my September issue of Game Informer.

Batman : AA received GOTM (9.5,9.5)

Here are some tidbits from the review:

Batman: Arkham Asylum tidbits from review

"THE BEST BATMAN GAME EVER MADE"

"Batman: AA is not only the best Batman game to come out on consoles, it's a contender for Game of The Year"

+inhabitants of Arkham Asylum feel like living, breathing characters. Converse w/ one another, interact with Arkham's geometry, and create their own self-contained stories

+Melee system highlights brutal efficiency. Even when odds are stacked against you, you feel as if you can take everybody out.

+Areas of the Asylum are blocked off until new gadgets are obtained (zelda/metroid style)

- The final confrontation is a MAJOR letdown. A good idea gone to waste. In this scene an outrageous concept is squashed by Batman's mortality. The fight that follows is easily the game's worst.

Goes on to say: "Regardless, Batman: AA is this year's Bioshock...delivers an adventure unlike any other"

Sucks about the final encounter.

:(

Oh Well.

EzLink

Banned
Ugh I'm sick of lackluster final bosses in games, its a total killjoy :/
boulder punch
It just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make an awesome final boss scenario, especially if you already have well designed bosses in the game (which it seems like AA does)

Good to read the positive aspects though. Still of course my most hyped game of the year

critch

Banned
GCQuinton said:

But Oracle is in the game. Robin predates Batgirl.

I'll just pretend Robin is off doing stuff in his own comic.

Smokey

Gully State said:
How is that a positive?

I was expecting high 8's for this game so it does come to a surprise that it's getting 9.5 .

They say it gives "great depth to the navigation of Arkham"

lostxii

The final confrontation is a MAJOR letdown. A good idea gone to waste. In this scene an outrageous concept is squashed by Batman's mortality. The fight that follows is easily the game's worst.

This sounds like it could have been interesting. Too bad it seems like they may have coped out, but it's not the worst negative to have.

Parham

Banned
Dunlop said:
concerning this, I went to pick up a wired 360 controller or the wireless thingamabob to make the controller work on a PC...They do not seem to exist at the stores I went to.

Are they both discontinued? I already have like 4 wireless controllers (with a plug and charge kit). Is there a trick to make one work on the PC?

From the looks of it, Microsoft no longer sells X360 USB adapters. So you're best bet would be to buy it from any of these retailers or just buy a wired controller for six dollars more.

Spy

Just preordered the CE on the Gamestop website for in store pickup. The Game Informer review pushed me over the edge.

Reviews update:

[English]
Games Master UK: 96%
Playstation Official Magazine UK: 9/10
PlayStation Beyond: 90%
OXM Australia: 9/10
Total Film: 5/5
Game Informer: 9.5 (Second Opinion: 9.5)

[German]
Consol Plus: 91%
Maniac: 90%
360-Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)
Play³: 90%

[French]
Jeux Vidéo: 19/20

[Finnish]
Pelaaja: 10/10

EzLink

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Reviews update:

[English]
Games Master UK: 96%
Playstation Official Magazine UK: 9/10
PlayStation Beyond: 90%
OXM Australia: 9/10
Total Film: 5/5
Game Informer: 9.5, 9.5

[German]
Consol Plus: 91%
Maniac: 90%
360-Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)
Play³: 90%

[French]
Jeux Vidéo: 19/20

[Finnish]
Pelaaja: 10/10

The conspiracy hasn't been debunked yet!

Minamu

Totobeni said:
Lego Batman Xbox 360 = Shovelware for kids ( sorry Lego fans )
Hey! Lego Batman had a surprisingly thick atmosphere imo. Quite easily one of the better Lego games by Traveller's Tales even if LSW:TCS had a more complete package. Easy 1000 points too.

I've played this game's demo about 4 times a day since it was uploaded. It never ceases being fun. Only 12ish days to go. Once, after dispatching four of the five goons in the final area in the demo, the last guy standing was terrified and when I dropped behind him, he turned and freaked out and began cowering. It was hilarious.

Top Bottom