• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Totobeni said:
could be ? ...

are there any average or decent Batman games in the last 10 years ? they all below Mediocre ( yeah even the shitty Lego shovelware ) and pure licensed crap .

Batman & Robin on PSone = shit
Batman Beyond on PSone = pure shit
Batman: Gotham City Racer Psone = lol
Batman Vengeance PS2 = meh
Batman: Dark Tomorrow Xbox = WTF is this shit
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu PS2 = meh
Batman Begins PS2 = shitty game based on shitty overhyped movie
Lego Batman Xbox 360 = Shovelware for kids ( sorry Lego fans )

this game WILL end this misery

Your post reminded me of this review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULgJA3oMr4

JRW

Random question about this forum, how does one change the "Member" status under your username, I cant find any such option in the User CP.

JRW said:
Random question about this forum, how does one change the "Member" status under your username, I cant find any such option in the User CP.
Mods change it. Usually because you did something funny, memorable, or in most cases stupid. :D

Parham

Banned
JRW said:

Only mods and admins can change your tag.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Anyone want to take a guess on the order of the boss battles? We can assume The Joker is last and Mr. Zsasz is most likely the first villain.

Sidzed2

lostxii said:
This sounds like it could have been interesting. Too bad it seems like they may have coped out, but it's not the worst negative to have.

Where the review says:

"The final confrontation is a MAJOR letdown. A good idea gone to waste. In this scene an outrageous concept is squashed by Batman's mortality. The fight that follows is easily the game's worst."

The word 'mortality' sholud actually be 'morality'. It is Batman's morality which is said to quash the scene's potential.

EzLink

Banned
So anyone know what time this demo will go live for XBL silver members? Do they allow access to everyone exactly one week later or could it be at any random point tomorrow? If it's gonna be within the next few hours I'll just stay up

Parham

Banned
EzLink said:
So anyone know what time this demo will go live for XBL silver members? Do they allow access to everyone exactly one week later or could it be at any random point tomorrow? If it's gonna be within the next few hours I'll just stay up

Silver members usually get a demo around the same time as Gold members did a week ago.

Ephemeris

Sidzed2 said:
Where the review says:

The word 'mortality' sholud actually be 'morality'. It is Batman's morality which is said to quash the scene's potential.

I was wondering about that actually.:lol

EzLink

Banned
Ephemeris said:
Maybe it'll go up at midnight pacific time? aka 3am Eastern?

I hope so. That's about as late as I'm willing to stay up. It'd be nice to get the dl going before bed so I can wake up to some Batman goodness in the morning

Sidzed2

FateBreaker said:
Did someone say Batman Begins was a shitty movie? Jesus Fuck.

Yeah, it's a damned good film, albeit flawed and a touch awkward in places, especially with respect to its dramatic tonal shift 2/3 of the way through.

In hindsight, it's a lesser film only because of the confidence and consistency of The Dark Knight.

I AM JONESING FOR SOME BATMAN.

EzLink

Banned
It's still unconfirmed weather or not the Dem Bones and Crime Alley challenge maps will be available as DLC right? I know it was mentioned earlier that it could happen 30 days after the release, and I really hope that's the case. I fucking hate gamestop with a passion (plus my walmart usually gets in games on the shipping date meaning I have to wait an extra day at GS), but going bat
man
shit insane on skeletons looks pretty awesome. Hopefully it will be confirmed one way or another before release so I'll have time to preorder if I must :/

EzLink

Banned
- The final confrontation is a MAJOR letdown. A good idea gone to waste. In this scene an outrageous concept is squashed by Batman's morality. The fight that follows is easily the game's worst.

Y'know, after thinking about this some more I'm thinking the final encounter could be something like this (spoiler tagged even though it's pure speculation)
Batman encounters the Joker and has a perfect opportunity to kill him yet doesn't and hands him back over to the authorities. It would make sense since the bullet point mentions his morality and essentially the only moral code Batman has is his no killing rule. Maybe the battle also plays out as an interactive cut scene or whatever, which would be why the reviewer might not have liked it
. If that IS the case, I'm perfectly happy with it. They have to abide by Batman's rules when crafting the story, it would be ridiculous to throw something as paramount to the character as that rule he has out the window. It might not be an epicly fun battle gameplay wise, but so long as it fits in with the story in a cohesive way I'm sure I won't have a problem with it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
EzLink said:
Y'know, after thinking about this some more I'm thinking the final encounter could be something like this (spoiler tagged even though it's pure speculation)
Batman encounters the Joker and has a perfect opportunity to kill him yet doesn't and hands him back over to the authorities. It would make sense since the bullet point mentions his morality and essentially the only moral code Batman has is his no killing rule. Maybe the battle also plays out as an interactive cut scene or whatever, which would be why the reviewer might not have liked it
. If that IS the case, I'm perfectly happy with it. They have to abide by Batman's rules when crafting the story, it would be ridiculous to throw something as paramount to the character as that rule he has out the window. It might not be an epicly fun battle gameplay wise, but so long as it fits in with the story in a cohesive way I'm sure I won't have a problem with it.
Not
spoiler
tagged correctly.
And yeah, I'm going to assume thats how it ends.

EzLink

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Not
spoiler
tagged correctly.
And yeah, I'm going to assume thats how it ends.

Whoops, thanks for pointing that out to me

Yeah, pretty predictable ending if that is what happens, yet one that I'm 100% happy with

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
EzLink said:

if i had to guess, batman's morality might mean that the last boss fight consists of somehow not killing the final boss in a way that is annoying, whereas being able to kill the boss might of lead to a more interesting fight. maybe. or maybe hostages, everyone hates hostages.

EzLink

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
if i had to guess, batman's morality might mean that the last boss fight consists of somehow not killing the final boss in a way that is annoying, whereas being able to kill the boss might of lead to a more interesting fight. maybe. or maybe hostages, everyone hates hostages.

Batman doesn't hate hostages!

But yeah, I'm interested to see if it's really as bad as GI made it seem. I have a feeling I won't mind it at all

TeardropConnors

Neo Member
Played through the demo tonight and I really enjoyed it. I like that, because it is in the batman universe, it doesn't have to be as realistic as other stealth action games. Swinging from thing to thing and hanging down and grabbing goons really made me feel bad ass.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
played the demo,
and this is how the unreal engine should have ran and looked like from the start on the ps3...

demo was to easy, and the detective mode is to powerful, i hope its not there or timed in normal difficulty
(if its there ill use it, now dont tell me to just dont use it ;) )

game was way greater than i would have thought!

Yagharek

So people are modifying the PC files to include classic Batman costumes of years gone past ...

Anyone tried editing the music for fight scenes to include the old-school "nanananananna nananananana nananananaa BATMAN nanananna nananana BATMAN, BATMAN, BATMAN!" tune with the trumpets and shit blowing? That would be cool.

DXPetti

Banned
RandomVince said:
Anyone tried editing the music for fight scenes to include the old-school "nanananananna nananananana nananananaa BATMAN nanananna nananana BATMAN, BATMAN, BATMAN!" tune with the trumpets and shit blowing? That would be cool.

:lol

Needs more POW & SHAZAM

Yagharek

DXPetti said:
:lol

Needs more POW & SHAZAM

:lol yes. You could overlay them on the hitboxes upon contact or something. If there is blood or sweat that gets knocked out when you hit someone, then the POW! CRASH! etc could be edited in for that.

Ephemeris

Man. Can't get past 12x combo at all. Only way for me to hit that 40x is if I'm fighting like 10+ people at once or something.

EzLink said:
Batman doesn't hate hostages!

But yeah, I'm interested to see if it's really as bad as GI made it seem. I have a feeling I won't mind it at all

Eh, hopefully it isn't too bad. Besides, not like it's a deal-breaker where the game is concerned. :lol

Edit:

azentium said:

Not sure how I overlooked that. >_>

And did you grab the demo EzLink ?

Ephemeris said:
Seems like it. Considering the walmart one is already in the game.

So torn, I've preordered at both Gamestop and Amazon for the LE, and not sure if I should stick with Gamestop cuz of that bonus. How has Gamestop exclusives worked in the past for DLC? Have they eventually made their way online and was just a time exclusive? It's a $20 difference between Amazon and Gamestop and I'm willing to wait on DLC if it means I can save $20 now.

I played the demo twice, was very surprised by it, in a good way that is; Now I have a couple of questions, How long will this game be? and Will there be other playable characters besides Bats?

TheKingOfSheep said:
I played the demo twice, was very surprised by it, in a good way that is; Now I have a couple of questions, How long will this game be? and Will there be other playable characters besides Bats?
-12 hours.
-most likely no.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheKingOfSheep said:

The PS3 version has a playable Joker but not in the main game.

EzLink

Banned
I stayed up till 3 am (central time) to no avail. Woke up at 9 and checked first thing, and thankfully it was up. Downloading right now, but it will probably take a couple hours.

Damn though, this week-long wait of reading all the impressions from how much people loved the demo and knowing I couldn't play it yet was awful :p

Also I believe this is the 3100th post in this thread. Good to see the hype train in full force

Top Bottom