• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New features for Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis re-releases

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hmmmm, Pikmin 1 doesn't appeal to me as a rerelease, but Mario Tennis and the Prime series will probably be lots more fun with the new controls. I never owned Mario Power Tennis on the Cube and it's also cool that they offer Nunchuk-controlled movement or just play with Wiimote a la Wii Tennis.

Prime 1 and 2 might be harder sells since I finished both, but some added content and/or reduced emphasis on backtracking would make them very delicious offers. If Kraid is re-added to Prime 1 I'm fucking SOLD.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Retro have been secretly working on all this time - surely adding JUST Wiimote controls wouldn't take this long...

Guys, please don't support these lazy "wiimakes." You're only paying Nintendo for being lazy, and for not releasing any NEW titles worth even renting.

y2dvd

These Wiimakes should seriously cost $20. How much more can it cost Nintendo to simply add wii functionality to these games? $30 I might bite. $40 and I'll wait on a BxG1 sale.

jts

...hate me...
KeeSomething said:
Guys, please don't support these lazy "wiimakes." You're only paying Nintendo for being lazy, and for not releasing any NEW titles worth even renting.
What about the VC? Now THAT'S lazy amirite?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know what’s going to happen.

I’ll bitch and moan about Nintendo being lazy, how they didn’t enhance Prime 1 + 2 enough, how they are overpriced, how late they are to arrive in Australia, etc.

Yet the day they come out I’ll go and buy them because I’m too much of a sucker for Samus.

Fuck you Nintendo.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
do we have any dates on these for US? I am really only interested in Pikmin, Metroid. Wind Waker too, but I don't think they have mentioned that as a possibility have they?

MoogPaul

KeeSomething said:

uh, no. I've never played Pikmin, so I will be supporting these.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
KeeSomething said:

to be fair they have like a dozen original wii-specific titles announced for next year

TJ Spyke

scola said:
do we have any dates on these for US? I am really only interested in Pikmin, Metroid. Wind Waker too, but I don't think they have mentioned that as a possibility have they?

Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis are the only ones currently confirmed for the US, and they only have vague "2009" release dates. These are all of the confirmed releases:

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Mario Power Tennis
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Bigfoot

These should cost $20, and should be compilations (Pikmin 1 + 2 together, same with the Metriod Prime games, include Mario Tennis with another Mario sports game, etc...). Why do game companies insist on charging too much?... haven't they ever heard of the "impulse buy"?

DarkWish

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm amused that people think the Wiimakes are preventing sequels from being developed.
This.

I'm definitely buying the Pikmin "wiimakes" simply because I was stupid and never bought them back on the GCN even though I clearly enjoyed them when I rented them. I guess waiting paid off in the end.

RpgN

TJ Spyke said:
Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis are the only ones currently confirmed for the US, and they only have vague "2009" release dates. These are all of the confirmed releases:

Pikmin 2
Mario Power Tennis

I'm definitely getting those games since I didn't own them on my cube. I'm not sure about Chibi-robo but I do own all the others. If there is some huge extras with them, I might reconsider it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
to be fair they have like a dozen original wii-specific titles announced for next year

Of course who knows how many of them will actually come to the U.S anytime soon..

batbeg

KeeSomething said:

Well, I'd prefer to buy a new, enhanced copy of Pikmin 2 for something like £20 instead of the old, used copy for £40 which means I have to use my GCN accessories, but seeing as how you told me not to....
God your post was stupid.

KeeSomething said:
You have got to be kidding?

These Wii re-releases are like a God send, I didn't have a GameCube.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Pikmin 1 and 2 bundled together with new controllers and more Co-Op elements (possibly online play) would be worth $40 bucks to me.

Oh, and 4 player battle mode. Sweet.

Shiggy

3135629981_ef5bc2a668.jpg

Larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/3135629981_d83f376b2c_o.jpg

AppleBlade

For Wii owners like me that were not GameCube owners last gen, these re-releases are awesome. I hope Nintendo does this for all of the big Gamecube games (i.e. Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunhine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Paper-Mario: Thousand Year Door, F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Fire Emblem, Chibi-robo, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, etc.)

Xav

MrVargas said:
For Wii owners like me that were not GameCube owners last gen, these re-releases are awesome. I hope Nintendo does this for all of the big Gamecube games (i.e. Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunhine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Paper-Mario: Thousand Year Door, F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Fire Emblem, Chibi-robo, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, etc.)
Or you could buy the GameCube originals and play them on your Nintendo Wii.

Right now, I'll probably bite on DK, Metroid, and Pikmin (the first ones).

Wouldn't mind seeing some third party games. Like, a non-glitchy version of Sonic Adventure.

Shiggy

Aaron Strife said:
Right now, I'll probably bite on DK, Metroid, and Pikmin (the first ones).

Wouldn't mind seeing some third party games. Like, a fun version of Sonic Adventure.

Fixed.

TJ Spyke

Xav said:
Or you could buy the GameCube originals and play them on your Nintendo Wii.

Then you have to have a GameCube controller, GameCube memory card, you miss out on improvements (like being able to go back to any day you want in Pikmin, and some games are more expensive than these re-makes will be.

What's with the hate on Sonic Adventure? It was a fun game, I think people started hating on it after the later crappy 3D Sonic's. The 2 Sonic Adventure games were pretty good (except for the crappy camera).

[Nintex]

TJ Spyke said:
Then you have to have a GameCube controller, GameCube memory card, you miss out on improvements (like being able to go back to any day you want in Pikmin, and some games are more expensive than these re-makes will be.

What's with the hate on Sonic Adventure? It was a fun game, I think people started hating on it after the later crappy 3D Sonic's. The 2 Sonic Adventure games were pretty good (except for the crappy camera).
I can understand people hating on SA2, but Sonic Adventure is solid gold. There's actually a nice balance between running fast through stages and platforming, there's even a subtle change from night time to day time in the city level which was all kinds of awesome. The only thing SEGA had to do was iron out the flaws in Sonic Adventure. Even the flying stages rocked in that game!

Naka however, thought we liked it better if he changed everything that made SA a good game. I like Sonic Adventure 2, but the shooting mechanics, horrible emerald searches(better in SA!) and shitty friends where all introduced in SA2. They really jumped the shark with Sonic Heroes though and Sonic hasn't been seen outrunning sea animals and kicking ass ever since. I must say that Sonic Unleashed is also good, just like the Rush series. But Sonic Adventure is a true 3D adventure game and some elements didn't age well but it's still an awesome game in my book.

TJ Spyke

The only 2 new characters in Sonic Adventure 2 were Shadow (who pretty cool in that game, they screwed him up in later games) and Rouge (who isn't that bad). The first SA had the character that almost every Sega fan I have seen hates: Big the Cat.

TJ Spyke said:
The only 2 new characters in Sonic Adventure 2 were Shadow (who pretty cool in that game, they screwed him up in later games) and Rouge (who isn't that bad). The first SA had the character that almost every Sega fan I have seen hates: Big the Cat.

Big's usage in Sonic Adventure 2 was great, it blew my mind that they took out 95% of the cameos in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (probably because Big's creator bitched, or they wanted to bury the character entirely), and yanked him out of multiplayer in favor of the Dark Chao. I really liked the idea that, barring all logic, he just "showed up" somewhere.

wut...they are re-releasing Metroid Prime 1n2 for the Wii?! How did I not know that....? I knew about the others but not Metroid.

Is it wrong that those 2 games just got me excited to play the Wii again?

bridegur

I would buy a Wii re-release of Wind Waker if it had widescreen support and some way to speed up the travel time between islands.

TJ Spyke

HallucinatingElvis said:
wut...they are re-releasing Metroid Prime 1n2 for the Wii?! How did I not know that....? I knew about the others but not Metroid.

Considering Metroid Prime was one of the best games last gen (and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is also pretty good), it's perfectly OK.

AppleBlade

HallucinatingElvis said:

It's not surprising. Announcements for the Wii are easy to overlook because many gaming sites and podcast seem to ignore the Wii. It gets me alittle pissed off because many of those sites or podcast advertise themselves as a place to get the latest news on all videogames including Nintendo but it's a mis-representation because while every little newsworthy Xbox 360 item gets discussed, most of the PS3 gets discussed (but not as much as the 360), only really big news on the Wii side ever gets mentioned. Things like the recent announcements of Klonoa and Broken Sword going to the Wii never even get a 5 second blurb. I had to resort to listening to a Nintendo specific podcast just so I can keep up to date with news for the Wii.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
To anyone suggesting to just pick up the original Gc releases, have you seen the price on some if those titles? While I am selling Pikmin 2 for $40 in the b/s/t thread, a similar complete copy can fetch over $60 elsewhere. And while Chibi-Robo doesn't sell for much, good luck finding a decent copy.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Damn, I just bought a used copy of Mario Power Tennis a short while ago for quite a high price! Oh well, I was gonna buy pikmin too, but I'll just wait for this.

Alcibiades

olubode said:
To anyone suggesting to just pick up the original Gc releases, have you seen the price on some if those titles? While I am selling Pikmin 2 for $40 in the b/s/t thread, a similar complete copy can fetch over $60 elsewhere. And while Chibi-Robo doesn't sell for much, good luck finding a decent copy.
yeah I expect the re-releases to go for much cheaper than new copies of the GCN versions will... that's another reason it's so important they include GCN and classic controller functionality... make these the definitive superior versions rather than adding stuff but removing stuff as well...

Is it confirmed that these games will run in 480p? Unlike the USA, in Europe we were pretty fucked up with 480p support on GC games.

As for Mario Tennis, it would be nice if they actually removed the special move :lol

Yes Boss!

TJ Spyke said:

Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Mario Power Tennis
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

I'm buying every single one of these. I've owned them all on Gamecube and to have new controls is a nice new wrinkle. With the exception of (perhaps) Mario Tennis these are all titles that deserve to stay in print for new folks to try out.

ilikeme

Oh heck if Pikmin 2 comes to Europe I'll eat my socks, happily. Damn I miss that game. Fuck me for selling it off. How dumb can I get. Not much dumber that's how dumb.Fuck me for selling it off. How dumb can I get. Not much dumber that's how dumb.

Top Bottom