• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
MomoPufflet said:
Can someone check if Ace Combat 5's install size has changed? I have a shitty old HDD with a max install space of 5.9GB-- want to see if I can play it :lol
AC6 is 5.1GB, it was 6.4GB before.

Magik said:
Basically, if a game is installed on Console A but you try to play it on Console B, by moving the HD, Console B won't be able to play game from HD.

This has been since the launch of the NXE and i thought everybody already knew it.

Voltron64

AnEternalEnigma said:
If you install a game on your hard drive, you cannot play the game off the hard drive when you attach it to another console. An error will pop up, informing you that you can only play the game on the console it was installed on.

It's an incredibly stupid restriction considering you still need the goddamn disc to play the game.
I really hate this. What's the point? You have to use the disc anyway. My spare 360's dvd drive is going bad and I want to use it with my 120 GB drive with the games pre-installed.

My installed games...

Call of Duty 4 6.5 GB before 6.7 GB

Call of Duty WAW 6.4 GB before 6.5 GB

Gears of War 2 6.3 GB before 6.7 GB

Halo 3 5.7 GB before 6.3 GB

Battlefield: Bad Company 4.9 GB before 6.5 GB

Street Fighter IV 4.6 GB before 5.0GB

Left 4 Dead 3.7 GB before 5.0 GB

Based on my games:

I started at 18.4 out of 120 available.

50 Cent BOTS - 6.4 to 6.4
Sega Superstars Tennis - 3.4 to 3.3
Burnout Paradise - 3.4 to 2.8
Sacred 2 - 6.5 to 6.3
L4D 5.0 to 3.7
SFIV 5.0 to 4.6

Gained 2.6 GB - Currently 21 out of 120 with the following to go:

Mass Effect
MK vs DC
NCAA 10
SFIV
KOF XII
BlazBlue
Halo Wars
Saints Row 2

The reinstalling to save space really doesn't matter to me much. I still have 50 gigs free after installing every single game I play at a decent rate.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
omgawd whats going on in here!??!? I gotta reinstall my games when this patch hits live! I can't wait now...

Giev nao!

Just got my 120GB so I'm stoked to fill it up with all my old xbla games I've had to delete for room and my two xbox originals. Also gonna try out installing maybe GTAIV and Fallout 3

Slayer-33 said:
omgawd whats going on in here!??!? I gotta reinstall my games when this patch hits live! I can't wait now...

Giev nao!

You don't have to do anything. It mostly helps those with 20 gig drive so even then you can only one 1... maybe 2 games on there. I will be up to you if you want the space back and most titles don't make a difference.

I'm going to re-install some games now, I need more space :lol

Any one else notice that you can do the clear cached by pressing Y on the drive instead of the old code we had to do, nice little addition to the update :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Could someone, pretty please, test installing PGR4 and see if the sound glitches that happen when you install to the HDD are fixed?

Nearly impossible, I know, but hope springs eternal.

Based on my games:

I started at 18.4 out of 120 available.

50 Cent BOTS 6.4 to 6.4
BlazBlue 4.3 to 3.0
Burnout Paradise 3.4 to 2.8
Chronicles of Riddick 6.7 to 6.7
Halo Wars 6.2 to 5.7
KOF XII 3.4 to 703MB (LOL WTF)
L4D 5.0 to 3.7
Mass Effect 6.8 to 6.8
MK vs DC 6.4 to 6.0
NCAA 10 6.2 to 5.5
Soul Calibur IV 5.9 to 4.3
SFIV 5.0 to 4.6
Sacred 2 6.5 to 6.3
Sega Superstars Tennis 3.4 to 3.3

Now 29 out of 120. Gained 10.6GB.

Saints Row 2 was never installed before but it is 6.8 to 6.8

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I have never suffered from the PGR 4 install audio prob

:D

OldJadedGamer said:
You don't have to do anything. It mostly helps those with 20 gig drive so even then you can only one 1... maybe 2 games on there. I will be up to you if you want the space back and most titles don't make a difference.

Oh I know that I don't have to, but being the optimizing whore that I am I will most definitely be reinstalling my games so that I have much more space on my 60GB HD :lol

vg260

Kai Ozu said:
KOFXII went from 3.4GB (I think) to 703MB. o_O

SNK puts a lot of dummy files on their (PS2) discs to help loading. Probably the same case here. Looks like this update keeps those off the HD. nice.

Asmodai

Banned
I'm in this preview thing, and the faster general speed is very nice.

That said, I had a Xbox 360 for roughly two years before it had RROD and was replaced with some random refurbished one of around the same age.

Thing is, the refurbished one takes a lot longer to bring up the guide when I hit the big X button than the old one did. Anyone else notice a difference like this?

Smokey

ExtraKr1spy said:
K, Im about to pull the trigger on the 120 but damn its expensive. Went to 5 different gamestops to see if they have used ones that have the transfer cables but none have them.

I got a 120GB a few days ago from GS. After I used my Edge card it came out to $97 after tax. Somebody on another forum is sending me the transfer cable/disc, but when I called MS they charge you $12 for the kit.

Still a hell of a lot cheaper than $150+ brand new.

Now that I have a 120GB, as soon as the cables get here I can install some games. Which brings me to an interesting question. What is the point? You still have to have the game in the drive to play it, so what is the point of installing it?

Smokey said:
Now that I have a 120GB, as soon as the cables get here I can install some games. Which brings me to an interesting question. What is the point? You still have to have the game in the drive to play it, so what is the point of installing it?

Shorter load times/better performance, longer life for your drive, less noise.

Nos_G

I got into the preview, but I'm in Canada.

I still don't get to play around with Netflix, but smaller install sizes are nice though.

Foxix Von

Oh snap! AND they added smaller HDD installs!? I've gotta reinstall everythin! I'm like at 18~19 gigs left (out of 120)

Also, actually used the netflix party function. Ronin is a fuck awesome movie:lol

VQ

Smokey said:
I got a 120GB a few days ago from GS. After I used my Edge card it came out to $97 after tax. Somebody on another forum is sending me the transfer cable/disc, but when I called MS they charge you $12 for the kit.

Still a hell of a lot cheaper than $150+ brand new.

Got mine off eBay new for 60 bucks. No cable though. Anywhere online where they sell the transfer kit?

Rlan

Only thing I see that doesn't work as it should - things such as "themes" aren't really rated - you rate the game, not the rating. Therefore Top Rated "themes" are just the Top rated games.

Ah well.

borsdy

Banned
I am sorry for asking this question, it is probably common knowledge now and I really should be watching this thread.

Is the mini-dash or whatever when you press Guide on your controller, did they fix the fscking annoying freeze issues? I know I read stuff about it being quicker but the long pauses just piss me off so much.

edit: thank you, ko

Sleeker

iconoclast said:
Just installed Mirror's Edge; new size is 5.5GB. The old one was 5.7GB according to that site posted a couple pages back.

i just got here.

this update decreases the size of installs?

squicken

I literally smacked my forehead when I opened this thread. I installed Far Cry 2 this morning, but didn't have time to play it. I noticed it was only like a 3.6 GB install, and walked out the door thinking it must have messed up, and I'd have to do it again.

When I get back to playing I'll check the memory to double check the size. I hope this optimization carries over to some improved perfromance for this fall's games.

Has anyone else been having issues retaining Netflix activation with the preview update? Every time I boot up my system now, it asks me to enter another activation code when I start Netflix.

Rlan

Rlan said:
Only thing I see that doesn't work as it should - things such as "themes" aren't really rated - you rate the game, not the rating. Therefore Top Rated "themes" are just the Top rated games.

Ah well.

My mistake - you CAN rate things, but going by "all", since it only shows the name of the games the themes are based on, means that you can't see specific themes that way.

Also, the ratings are entirely region based. the US ratings are different to those of the Australian ratings. Kind of lame.

MCD

For quick deleting those installs, go to the HDD section and press X (deletion suggestion), should list bigger files first.

Top Bottom