• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - Starz series produced by Sam Raimi - Jan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
20adqnp.jpg

Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator. The classic tale of the Republic’s most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and visceral new series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More than a gladiator. He must become a legend.

Starring Australian actor, Andy Whitfield (McLeod's Daughters) as Spartacus, Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) as Lucretia, John Hannah (The Mummy, Four Weddings and A Funeral) as Batiatus and Peter Mensah (300, The Incredible Hulk) as Doctore, this unique mix of live action, graphic novel effects and brutal battle sequences is set to make "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" an epic television event.

Trailer (NSFW)

Premieres Jan 22nd on Starz and is also available on Netflix Streaming. You can watch the first episode here.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
:lol

I watched it and that looks like the most pieced together show I've ever seen. Take some Gladiator, Throw in 300 Visuals, and then end it with that common audio scream at the end. :lol

I'm still totally going to watch it:lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Costanza said:
or netflix. all their shows go up on streaming before they even air.
Wait what? Really. I've watched the first seasons of Weeds but haven't seen anything from 3-5

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
shintoki said:

I watched it and that looks like the most pieced together show I've ever seen. Take some Gladiator, Throw in 300 Visuals, and then end it with that common audio scream at the end. :lol

I could say it no better. :lol

Aegus

And here I was just thinking that we need more Swords and Sandals stories. Will watch.

I also need swords and sorcery please.

Aegus

Costanza said:
HBO's Game Of Thrones

I know that's coming, but I want it like Conan. 1 man against an army of monsters, stealing beautiful women from their prisons, drinking alchohol by the cartload and pissing off the Gods while he's at it.

Ashhong

shintoki said:

exactly what i came to say :lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Lucy Lawless. I fucking love that woman. Not even a joke.

Tobor

Costanza said:
Weeds is Showtime.

I wish they would put up some more seasons. They only have season 1 of Californication, Season 1 and 2 of Weeds, and I think Season 1 of Dexter. Where's the rest?

I guess I'll have to wait for the discs. /grumble

Tobor

Yeah, I'm not interested in this show at all. It's fucking shameless and Kirk Douglas is still a bigger badass than this no name guy who looks exactly like everyone else.

Busty

Banned
Finally starz is growing some balls and taking some chances. This is how they make a name for themselves, doing stuff Showtime and HBO wouldn't.

Looks really interesting in a totally gratuitous blood and sex kind of way....

I know when I'm interested in a show like this despite the fact it features the very worst actor to ever grace the face of the planet.

John Hannah.

I'm going to keep an eye on this.

.........fucking John Hannah. Pfft.

Solo

Busty said:
Finally starz is growing some balls and taking some chances. This is how they make a name for themselves, doing stuff Showtime and HBO wouldn't.

Its not as if Showtime and HBO are ultra conservative/unwilling to take chances. Showtime's currently showing Weeds and Dexter, and HBO is championing True Blood.

gdt

Solo said:
Its not as if Showtime and HBO are ultra conservative/unwilling to take chances. Showtime's currently showing Weeds and Dexter, and HBO is championing True Blood.

This (again).

This show is not all that original or risky.

Thats just from the trailer, of course.

Busty

Banned
Solo said:

It's not what I meant. I liked Party Down but apart from a few scenes across it's run nothing was really 'premium cable' in terms of content.

With some skillful editing on some episodes it could have been a show on NBC or something.....

That might be true of some other HBO/Showtime shows but for an early effort from Starz I felt they needed to kick it up a gear.

Solo said:
Looks like Rome meets 300 meets Gladiator. Not sure if want. Will watch the pilot.
Yup, those were my three picks, as well. Can't tell if it's going to be hilariously awesome or hilariously bad. I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom