• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - a prequel to Blood & Sand - Fridays on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed something: Everyone speaks in passive language. I mean, like literally 99 percent of the time. I don't know much about language at that period, but is there a reason why this is? Did Romans speaking Latin speak in such a way naturally as part of their language? Or is it just to make it sound more impressive?

985boi

Rabid Wolverine said:
Awesome Finale to Gods Of The Arena.

Ganacus in Season 2 will be awesome. The ending gave me goodbumps with Andy giving his speech, shame he wont continue.

Yeah pretty much, I was like awwww FUCK when I heard that voice.

Burger

vas_a_morir said:
I noticed something: Everyone speaks in passive language. I mean, like literally 99 percent of the time. I don't know much about language at that period, but is there a reason why this is? Did Romans speaking Latin speak in such a way naturally as part of their language? Or is it just to make it sound more impressive?

Here:

wikipedia said:
It also contains many unusual traits purportedly intended to convey a sense of authenticity. Though in English, the sentence structure seems archaic, and follows something closer to Latin rules, for example the definite and indefinite articles ("the" and "a", in English) are avoided in many situations, the word "yes" (which did not occur in classical Latin) is replaced by an affirming phrase "Would you use of gladius?" "That is my desire", et cetera.

Ashur did well in the final. Crixus really did fuck him over, man. Which, I think is what seems more tragic. Ashur WAS becoming a great gladiator, and his showing in the final proved it. He was likely to have earned the respect he wanted as a part of Brotherhood.

Dude, that final battle was awesome. Gannicus was a true badass. That was an awesome fucking finale.

Here's my question: I don't remember seeing that Retiarius in the first season. He may have been there, but I didn't notice him. I wonder, will he be in the second season? His fighting style was awesome to watch.

Noshino

I just saw it again on Netflix....

...and I came to the conclusion that I can't wait for the freaking soundtrack, the team in charge of the music did an outstanding job, the music on the last episode is outstanding from beginning to end.

I didn't buy the soundtrack for B&S, but I sure as hell will for GotA

vas_a_morir said:
Ashur did well in the final. Crixus really did fuck him over, man. Which, I think is what seems more tragic. Ashur WAS becoming a great gladiator, and his showing in the final proved it. He was likely to have earned the respect he wanted as a part of Brotherhood.

Dude, that final battle was awesome. Gannicus was a true badass. That was an awesome fucking finale.

Here's my question: I don't remember seeing that Retiarius in the first season. He may have been there, but I didn't notice him. I wonder, will he be in the second season? His fighting style was awesome to watch.

His net with fire was freaking badass, I was like "holy shit!"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wouldn't Crixus getting tossed out of the ring of fire classify as a defeat? They always call him the undefeated champion of Capua in S1.

Noshino said:
His net with fire was freaking badass, I was like "holy shit!"

That was awesome.

When Gannicus literally ripped that dude's chip open, did it remind anyone else of something from a Cronenberg film? Like The Fly particularly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
vas_a_morir said:

Yeah, that's why I have so much sympathy for him. At every turn fate screws him over even though most of the time he's doing what he's been told, so when he pulls a Solonius and tries to make things better for himself by screwing anyone else over I still root for him. So glad he's back in S2.

Saige

I must do better.
vas_a_morir said:

If I remember correctly
didn't Spartacus throw him off the cliff for causing Barca's lover to kill himself?

Saige said:
If I remember correctly
didn't Spartacus throw him off the cliff for causing Barca's lover to kill himself?

That's who I thought it may be, but that guy had a different accent, I thought.

vas_a_morir said:
That's who I thought it may be, but that guy had a different accent, I thought.

No it was Gnaeus (net-throwing guy).

Same guy who:
-was told to use net in GotA
-was to face Crixus in the primus but Spartacus baited him and took his place
-thrown off cliff by Spartacus

Grimm Fandango said:
No it was Gnaeus (net-throwing guy).

Same guy who:
-was told to use net in GotA
-was to face Crixus in the primus but Spartacus baited him and took his place
-thrown off cliff by Spartacus

That guy was a jerk, haha.

PSGames

Andrex said:
Yeah, that's why I have so much sympathy for him. At every turn fate screws him over even though most of the time he's doing what he's been told, so when he pulls a Solonius and tries to make things better for himself by screwing anyone else over I still root for him. So glad he's back in S2.

I'm not sure how anyone can root for Ashur. He screws his friend over multiple times. Tries to get him f*cked in the ass and then takes out his eye in the arena. Gets several people killed during Season 1 over jealousy or some other petty reason. Ashur is scum.

Burger

PSGames said:
I'm not sure how anyone can root for Ausher. He screws his friend over multiple times. Tries to get him f*cked in the ass and then takes out his eye in the arena. Gets several people killed during Season 1 over jealousy or some other petty reason. Ausher is scum.

I'm pretty sure all of the characters are flawed in some way.

Except the Medicus. That dude just needs a bath and a haircut. His New Zealand accent was hilarious (to me) when Batiatus' father was ill and he had to get some 'Herb's'.

You could tell he wasn't American because he didn't need to get some 'Urb's'

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Noshino said:
I just saw it again on Netflix....

IS IT UP!!!!????

EDIT: SHIT IT'S UUUUPPPPP!!!!!!!

And thanks for the Spoilers jerks. Wouldn't have been so annoyed if it wasn't for the fact that many of us were in holding pattern for Netflix fix.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PSGames said:
I'm not sure how anyone can root for Ashur. He screws his friend over multiple times. Tries to get him f*cked in the ass and then takes out his eye in the arena. Gets several people killed during Season 1 over jealousy or some other petty reason. Ashur is scum.

Oh he's a jerk, but his pal was a bigger one, and I guess I have sympathy left over from the first season when Crixus shat on him every other episode.

Mrbob

Great ending. Season 2 looks a lot more interesting now that Gannicus should return. I was wondering what they were going to do with his character since in history he has a real life role to play in Spartacus's army.

Sinatar said:
Wouldn't Crixus getting tossed out of the ring of fire classify as a defeat? They always call him the undefeated champion of Capua in S1.

I thought this too, but Batiatus mentioned to Lucretia about forgetting what happened in the past with Gannicus earning his freedom. So I guess he was doing his best to remove thought from memory for the future of the ludus.

X-Frame

Gannicus was a real person as well? Holy damn .. I WANT to brush on the history but I don't want to be spoiled on the show ..

Phloxy

You can brush up on the history if you want, the creators have said multiple times it's not going to follow the war as it happened exactly.

Mrbob

X-Frame said:
Gannicus was a real person as well? Holy damn .. I WANT to brush on the history but I don't want to be spoiled on the show ..

He may not be back right away in season 2 but I think he'll be back sometime during the season. He plays an important role and I'm happy they didn't kill him off in the arena to reinforce Crixus as champion. The ring of fire concept ended up working great. I enjoyed Dustin Clare playing the role of Gannicus. Hopefully Starz doesn't wait too long to involve him back into season 2 so they don't have to recast his character as well!

squicken

I was just a tad disappointed. I had Gannicus' fate spoiled earlier in the thread, which played a part.

I guess it was the inherent nature of the prequel, but the episode lacked any tension. The most poignant scene was poor Diona getting executed :(

Speedymanic said:
Dude, spoilers.

Not everyone has seen it yet.

What is this crap? Why were you in this thread. Once a US show airs on the East Cost, THERE ARE NO SPOILERS

Mrbob

Well remember the creators said the story won't follow history exactly so there will be some different twists and turns.

Noshino

squicken said:
I was just a tad disappointed. I had Gannicus' fate spoiled earlier in the thread, which played a part.

I guess it was the inherent nature of the prequel, but the episode lacked any tension. The most poignant scene was poor Diona getting executed :(

I was also spoiled about Gannicus's fate, but still, the whole ring of fire scene, the music specially....it was just blood pumping.

What is this crap? Why were you in this thread. Once a US show airs on the East Cost, THERE ARE NO SPOILERS

Many of us follow the show through Netflix, unfortunately they had a hiccup and didn't upload it til 7pm EST. Having spoilers til tomorrow I think would be fair game.

Finally Netflix removes cock from ass! Great finale. It certainly had more gravitas than a few of the earlier eps and it came together quite nicely in the end. Nice work by the cast and crew. I'm going to miss Batiatus in S2 of B&S.

Reviews:
- Onion A|V Club
- Maureen Ryan

DennisK4 said:
I don't know if Cornballer wants to make a thread for Camelot.
I'm not sure that I'm going to watch Camelot, so someone else should put a thread together. Plus, I have to work on a few other shows that are premiering in April. Sounds like a lot of you liked the Camelot premiere, so maybe I'll watch a few episodes... I'll have to see how much time I have. But yeah, someone that's excited about the show should put together a proper thread.

squicken said:
Once a US show airs on the East Cost, THERE ARE NO SPOILERS
Yup, that's typically the rule of thumb. People watching live on Starz have been posting spoilers pre-Netflix all season.

Btw, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but it's a little fishy that Starz/Netflix couldn't get their act together for the finale this time around. Part of me wonders if it was intentional to encourage people to grab Starz one of these days. Sooner or later they're going to pull the plug on the Netflix copies or at least delay them significantly. They have to up their subscriber base at some point.

The finale blew me away. This show gets better and better. So many epic moments

damn the wait for S2 will suck, even more so knowing Andy will be gone :(

Noshino

I just loved GotA more than B&S, the only reason I would put B&S's finale over that of GotA would be because of the Spartacus shield jump, aside from it, it was as great as GotA, hell, GotA even made the final scene of B&S better.

Cornballer said:
I'm not sure that I'm going to watch Camelot, so someone else should put a thread together. Plus, I have to work on a few other shows that are premiering in April. Sounds like a lot of you liked the Camelot premiere, so maybe I'll watch a few episodes... I'll have to see how much time I have. But yeah, someone that's excited about the show should put together a proper thread.

I ll probably do it, I want to gather more info though, so probably (hopefully) have it up by the end of the week.

Btw, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but it's a little fishy that Starz/Netflix couldn't get their act together for the finale this time around. Part of me wonders if it was intentional to encourage people to grab Starz one of these days. Sooner or later they're going to pull the plug on the Netflix copies or at least delay them significantly. They have to up their subscriber base at some point.

While I agree with you, I also find it interesting that the Netflix version still had some syncing issues (or I might have been dreaming) that people claimed that other online videos had as well, and that was supposed to be the alleged issue for the delay.

ZephyrFate said:
Guys, guys, this show cannot work without Spartacus what are you doing liking Gods of the Arena?!?!?!

admit it, Amir0x, you were wrong. We won't point and laugh too hard

Gods is better than S1 in many aspects. It's far more refined, the writing is better, and there is no filler; the first season starts out rather shaky before hitting quite an impressive stride.

Back to the finale though: the only thing I didn't like was how Crixus injured Ashur. Seemed kinda tacked on. Crixus could have easily pushed him, or slammed him with his shield, or simply grabbed his spear. Slicing his leg seemed like such an unlikely way to stop someone from throwing something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PhoenixDark said:
Crixus could have easily pushed him, or slammed him with his shield, or simply grabbed his spear. Slicing his leg seemed like such an unlikely way to stop someone from throwing something.

Agreed there. Seems like they were saving it for the finale just to have another "cool" moment in it, when it easily could have happened at any point during GotA.

Andrex said:
Oh he's a jerk, but his pal was a bigger one, and I guess I have sympathy left over from the first season when Crixus shat on him every other episode.
How? He had his pal fucked in the ass because he saved his life in the arena and got more recognition for doing all the work. Not to mention he was allowing him to lose with dignity and subsequently got blinded. Ashur is definitely a villain and not a sympathetic character.

Gnaeus is a boss. I could watch his slow motion guitar riffing net throws ALL DAY.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The thing with Ashur couldn't really happen at any point in GotA because of the scene in B&S when Ashur is listing off all the other gladiators he'd killed, trying to get Batiatus to let him fight again since his leg was healed.

Man, I just love Oenimaeus.

Awesome finale. S2 might convince me to get S1 and S2 on BluRay at some point in the future. I just loved the whole thing so much. Plus watching them bury Tullius in the wall while he was still alive was cold blooded haha.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Funny thing:

While watching the last fight, the big dude just kept yelling, trying to show off, screaming

I was watching with my mom who loves the ever living shit out of this show, I said out loud "stop screaming like a jackass, or your jaw is gonna get fucking broken fool! (the big dude)", my mom was like Gannicus = bye bye :lulz, I'm like "woman don't you dare say anything bad about Ganny", then the Jaw Replacement Surgery happenes, and I did the biggest U MAD!/Troll face ever to my mom, who was pissed (she <3 Crixus/Sparty)

Ran around the house screaming THIS IS SPARTA...CUS! for 5 minutes to annoy her, was fun

Good lord so many good shows lined up for Spring

The Borgias
Camelot
Game of Thrones
(So Excited!)

I urge anyone feeling up to it to rewatch Blood and Sand.

Gods of The Arena has given Season 1 a new life, and watching these characters operate knowing what I know now makes it like watching Spartacus again for the first time. This sense of "coming full circle" will definitely make the wait for Season 2 a little easier.

Burger

Net_Wrecker said:
I urge anyone feeling up to it to rewatch Blood and Sand.

Gods of The Arena has given Season 1 a new life, and watching these characters operate knowing what I know now makes it like watching Spartacus again for the first time. This sense of "coming full circle" will definitely make the wait for Season 2 a little easier.

Yeah I'm definitely re-watching S1.

charsace

PhoenixDark said:
admit it, Amir0x, you were wrong. We won't point and laugh too hard

Gods is better than S1 in many aspects. It's far more refined, the writing is better, and there is no filler; the first season starts out rather shaky before hitting quite an impressive stride.

Back to the finale though: the only thing I didn't like was how Crixus injured Ashur. Seemed kinda tacked on. Crixus could have easily pushed him, or slammed him with his shield, or simply grabbed his spear. Slicing his leg seemed like such an unlikely way to stop someone from throwing something.
The other gladiators really don't like ashur. After what he did to his own friend and then killing him in the ring of fire he's just lucky someone didn't stab him in the back. I like how they build up to ashur becoming twisted completely. So close to what he has been after only to lose it in that way. Loved the look on his face as Gannicus was leaving.

How they did Tulius and the ring of fire was awesome. The fight was insane and the net. Well, films and tv shows need to have a goddamn netfighter.

adelante

Burger said:
Yeah I'm definitely re-watching S1.
Same here. Wow....fucking WOW. What an epic finale, the ring of fire fight was just brilliant in choreography, I was expecting a mini 300-style battle involving more people and they've delivered. They've really gotten better with shot composition for those slo-mo sequences.....love it!!

Struct09

Guess I'm lucky I didn't have to endure the long wait for Netflix to put up the finale, I just so happened to get to the end of GotA right when they put it up :p

Awesome show, can not wait for the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom