• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphone Setups: JVC SU-DH1 or Astro A40 Mixamp?

Akia

I have a Sennheiser HD-555. I read the 5.1 Headphones ok for gaming? thread.

I'm looking for an adapter to enhance my headphones for surround sound for 5.1 gaming. My two choices are:

The Astro A40 Mixamp:
$129.95

The JVC SU-DH1 (GAF Favorite):
$100 - $120 on ebay
JVC_SU-DH1.jpg

I'm wondering if the A40 Mixamp is comparable in Dolby Headphone quality to the SU-DH1. Primary uses of the device would be for PS3/X360 use.

Anyone have any experience with the A40 Mixamp. I read my fair share of impressions of the SU-DH1 in the 5.1 Headphones thread already.

Akia

beermonkey@tehbias said:
So this is for single-player gaming only? The JVC doesn't support headsets, only headphones.

Mostly for single player games. Just because my headphones don't have a mic built in.

Zoc

I know you've already read the other thread, but I have the JVC unit and just wanted to say again how cool it is. I'm sure the other one is fine, but you won't go wrong with the JVC.

JVC (Victor) WITH ADAPTER.

Please make sure it has an adapter and is a japanese version, not American. American version has no adapter and runs on AA battery which will run out in 6 or so hours of constant use.

If Astro supports adapter or power cord, buy that.

Else, buy JVC but from Japan, branded as Victor (you can buy it in stores like Audio Cubes).

Mindlog

I posted in the other thread a lot. I don't have much firsthand experience with the A40. I use a modified JVC amp.

I've heard mostly good things about the A40. If sound quality was equal (and everything I've read says it is) I'd spend the extra money to get the A40. It comes with more inputs and a mini USB cable for power. USB to wall outlet jacks are dirt cheap, I have one in every room in my home. Combined with the included dongles and cabling (don't forget to buy optical from monoprice if you need it) the A40 seems to be a better package. If you do go with the JVC SU DH1 I don't have too much trouble playing with the 360 headset extended over my Senn 580 headphones. Wireless/Bluetooth is much trickier.

imo you're good with either, but if you can afford it the little bit extra the A40 seems worth it

aeolist

Banned
I have the Astro and it's nice. It takes power over USB so it was the obvious choice for me.

Even with non-surround sound audio everything sounds a hell of a lot better.

The A40 has a newer style Dolby Headphone chipset in it, which a bit better in sound quality.

The A40 MixAmp all the way. It comes with most everything you need right out of the box unless you want/need the rechargeable battery it can be ran off any usb port.

Akia

How does the surround sound work with the A40 (I know it uses Dolby Headphone)? Is it always on or is it a setting?

When the surround sound is working, does it work with all 5.1 games or only with certain titles?

Akia said:
How does the surround sound work with the A40 (I know it uses Dolby Headphone)? Is it always on or is it a setting?

When the surround sound is working, does it work with all 5.1 games or only with certain titles?

It can be enabled or disabled. Anything that supports dolby surround will work with it.

Akia said:
Mostly for single player games. Just because my headphones don't have a mic built in.

Some people use a cheap clip-on microphone with any audiophile headphones that they like. This can be done with the A40.

JDeluis

Last year I had to choose between the two because I actually enjoy using headphones more then my surround system setup. (I like listening to voice chat through both ears and hearing small sound details in FPS) I went with the A40 amp and its one of the best things I have purchased for console gaming.

My main reason for purchasing the A40 was that I wanted to control the amount of volume between the game and the voice chat. A lot of games don't let you lower the game volume and it makes it difficult to hear the voice chat and because the dolby headphone helps in multiplayer games like COD to hear your surroundings better.

I know you mentioned only using it for single player games, but if you go for the A40 amp you'll have the benefit of taking advantage of having better control of game and voice chat volume.

I use the A40 amp with Sony MDR-V6 Headphones and a Zalman ZM-Mic1 clip-on microphone.

IMG_6074.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
I'm reading Amazon reviews of it, and it seems that its good for games, but the front and back channels are apparently weak, or at least you can't tell the difference between the two. Apparently this isn't something you should use to watch movies with, either.

:S

Any truth to the 'A40 sucks for movies' accusation?

aeolist

Banned
Darkpen said:
I'm reading Amazon reviews of it, and it seems that its good for games, but the front and back channels are apparently weak, or at least you can't tell the difference between the two. Apparently this isn't something you should use to watch movies with, either.

:S

Any truth to the 'A40 sucks for movies' accusation?
Overall sound is better with the A40 than without, even if it's not surround. I have no problems getting the surround working in movies that support it using VLC.

Also of note is the fact that Dolby Pro Logic II gets decoded by any Dolby Headphone device, so my Wii games sound better too, and I can just run those in through the aux stereo jack.

I've never used the Samsung or any other DH device so I can't compare quality or anything but overall it was well worth the money I spent on it. It makes my HD-555s sound a whole lot nicer.

Akia

I bought the A40 and also benifited from 10% off due to the ECA membership. It came out to $128 still because of Astro's insane shipping prices.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry to hijack, but im moving in with friends at the end of the year and need a really good set of headphones. Im used to living alone and having music on 24/7 and watching movies/playing games til late. So I want a really good set.

Mindlog

Akia said:
I bought the A40 and also benifited from 10% off due to the ECA membership. It came out to $128 still because of Astro's insane shipping prices.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you remember, please post a review or something when you get them =]

pseudocaesar said:
Sorry to hijack, but im moving in with friends at the end of the year and need a really good set of headphones. Im used to living alone and having music on 24/7 and watching movies/playing games til late. So I want a really good set.

There are a few more details that would help people give better advice.

#1 of course, Budget
#2 Open or Closed?
Open = Better sound, but noise leakage
Closed = Isolation, but can get uncomfortable for some people after extended use

http://www.headphone.com/
Check out their buying guide on the top right of the page. There's a lot of good advice there as well.

Akia

Mindlog said:

I bought a toslink optical splitter and 3 toslink optical cables (all monoprice) so I can connect both my systems to the A40 at the same time. I'm probably going to look into clip on mics in the near future to complete the package.

Is there a big difference going from digital to analog audio wise (sans dolby)?

Mindlog said:

There are a few more details that would help people give better advice.

#1 of course, Budget
#2 Open or Closed?
Open = Better sound, but noise leakage
Closed = Isolation, but can get uncomfortable for some people after extended use

http://www.headphone.com/
Check out their buying guide on the top right of the page. There's a lot of good advice there as well.

Yeh I should have mentioned it.. Im thinking around the $100-150 AUD mark. I had a look on ebay and can get a pair of Sony MDR-V6's in that range, what else is equivalent? Thanks for the link I'll have a look. What do you mean open or closed? Open as in regular old small headphones (Like Ipod etc) and closed having the leather cups or? I want the big bulky noise cancelling behemoths.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have a Sennheiser HD-555 and I bought JVC SU-DH1 early this year based on GAF's recommandations. Quick impressions: it really is impressive (though not as much as in the barbershop demo). DTS Movies and PS3 games benefit the most from it, but I'm also pleased with the result in wii games.

One thing it doesn't do well is to reproduce the distance between your head and the front channel. But I couldn't go without it anymore, the surround experience is just too good. Your hear distinct details that used to be merged in an overall sound flow. I love it.

I love my Astra setup for gaming because of the built-in mic. If you run the JVC your audio quality will be better, because you can get better headphones for it, but you won't have the voice chat.

DoomGyver

So I just bought a pair of audio technica ad700's and I'm going to get either the JVC or the astro mixamp.

Here is the deal:
I already have an universal AC adapter for the JVC unit, I have had it a while and it works good. +1 JVC
I will need to buy a toslink->mini toslink cable for the JVC ($3 via monoprice)
I have the ps3 bluetooth mic with dock and I use that for the mic so I have no need for the a40 "mixamp" feature. I suppose it could help me hear a voice a little better but I'm fine without it.

What I need to read are facts via links. I've heard that the a40 mixamp has the new dolby headphone chipset. I can't seem to find any hard facts. And how does a new chipset that does DD 5.1 compare to an old chipset that does DTS 5.1? and why on earth would a 'new' chipset not feature DTS like the 'old' chipset?

I have also heard that the JVC unit has a delay. Is this true?

This will be used mainly for games and movies with DTS audio.

Edit: found this comment from astro gamings forum from "Stormy"

stormy said:
The Dolby Headphone chip that the OP describes is an extremely old version that Freescale (who manufactures the silicon for Dolby's chips) phased out about 3-4 years ago. It's at least two revisions behind the current one. This older chipset had three different surround "Modes" : DH1, DH2, and DH3. Nobody really used any of the modes other than DH2, so Dolby simplified the chip and began shipping a product that approximated DH2 (and just called it 'Dolby Headphone'). DH1 didn't contain noticeably enough surround information (echo and reverb) to matter, and DH3 was just obnoxious. DH2 was what everyone used 99.9% of the time.

The other big benefit of using this new chipset is that the MIPS (instructions per second) are lower, and it uses about 35% less power (if I remember correctly). When you are running on batteries (or on the outer edge of the USB power envelope), this is a huge benefit. (affects the MixAmp in both cases).

The current chipset that we use today (two newer than the old revision that the OP referred to) supports Dolby 7.1 input (matrixed rear side and rear back channels). it's an extremely subtle effect and we don't jump up and down about it here at ASTRO, but the technology is there. It uses even more efficient architecture, so we can give the amp even more juice.

If you are in Japan, you can get a better version of the JVC SU-DH1 -- it had abysmal sales according to Dolby due to it's poor amplifier/power output, no provision for a DC/wall power input, and general lack of quality.

The Japanese version is the Victor SU-DH1 -- which has DC-in (yay!). This product also has DTS decoding, which is a benefit to people that are really in to Home Theater. For gaming though, you are going to love the MixAmp. Gaming is where the ASTRO stuff is really going to shine.

As for the A40 Headset, you've already gotten some really good advice. The only thing that I would add is that in my opinion, two full-sized drivers along with the top-grade Dolby Headphone technology in the MixAmp give you the best of both worlds: 5.1 when you are plugged into a full sized console, and full-range stereo on the go. It's really nice to have a full-range headset when you want to use it for anything other than gaming on your console--say on an iPhone, PSP, or DSi. Music and games through your portable system come to life because of the full-range driver arrangement. You simply can't get the same performance with only 1 out of 3 tiny drivers working in a multidriver headset. Plus: the A40 makes bass that you *hear* -- it doesn't simply vibrate your ear with a transducer. Being able to use a headset with only a single device limits its value to a large degree -- even though it is "cheaper".

BTW, don't forget to plug in the A40's mic when you are using it with your iPhone and PSP (PSP-3000 and newer). These types of devices have 4-pole inputs that are fully compatible with the A40's standard cable!

--Stormy out.

So the A40 chipset is less power hungry (who cares when it's plugged in) and they changed some "MIPS" settings but you lose DH1 and DH3 settings and DTS.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the JVC victor unit.

it's interesting that they say DTS only matters to home theater enthusiasts, i've played several games on PS3 and 360 and the DTS on PS3 sounds much better than DD5.1

DoomGyver

The Faceless Master said:
it's interesting that they say DTS only matters to home theater enthusiasts, i've played several games on PS3 and 360 and the DTS on PS3 sounds much better than DD5.1
Yeah that has been my experience as well. DTS is encoded at a higher bitrate = more defined sound.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I am sorry for bumping this thread, but I got a JUV SU-DH1, so far its awesome using it for my PS3, however I wonder what setting should I use when I play PC games?

Let's say in SC2 or TF2

Should I set my PC games sound output to stereo or 5.1? Both game doesn't support DTS or AAC, should I still use DH1? May be Dolby Digital Pro Logic?

I tried each setting, I couldn't really decide, and my ear isn't that sharp to judge which is the best setting...

Any help will be appreciated.

Oh for earphone I am using Audio-Technica ATH AD700.

coopolon

kiunchbb said:
I am sorry for bumping this thread, but I got a JUV SU-DH1, so far its awesome using it for my PS3, however I wonder what setting should I use when I play PC games?

Let's say in SC2 or TF2

Should I set my PC games sound output to stereo or 5.1? Both game doesn't support DTS or AAC, should I still use DH1? May be Dolby Digital Pro Logic?

I tried each setting, I couldn't really decide, and my ear isn't that sharp to judge which is the best setting...

Any help will be appreciated.

Oh for earphone I am using Audio-Technica ATH AD700.

Are you using on-board audio or do you have a sound card? Because most creative soundcards do the same thing as the SU-DH1 does already.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
coopolon said:
Are you using on-board audio or do you have a sound card? Because most creative soundcards do the same thing as the SU-DH1 does already.

Mine is on-board, it has digital output, that's where I plug my SU-DH1.

Top Bottom