• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Call of Duty 7: Black Ops? Zombies and Dedicated Servers?

Reno7728

According to a report from Tek9 (via MapModNews), an Activision insider has reportedly said that the next Call of Duty title will be called “Call of Duty: Black Ops”.The report states the game, being developed by Treyarch, will take place in various times in history during the Cold War, from World War II to up to present day, with missions in Vietnam, Cuba, South America and even the infamous SAS mission during the Iranian embassy siege in London in April 1980.It was previously suggested the game would only take place during the Vietnam War, with a release in November, which the report also says. It clashes with a date on an internal release list from retailer GAME, saying it’ll be out in OctoberThe report also claims the zombie mode from World at War will be included, as well as dedicated servers for its online on PC. Previous CoD title Modern Warfare 2 didn’t include the feature.Take with the biggest pinch of salt you can find, while we email Activision on this. Don’t go expecting much, mind.

source

Thoughts? Dedicated servers is nice, setting could be interesting if used well.

Obviously the source is probably borked, but even if so, is this what you'd want from a new call of duty?

Of course, mock mercilessly if old

mr_chun

I read something similar to this somewhere else a couple days ago, trying to find it right now. So don't fret, it's not that old. :lol

Regardless, if this is all true, then I'm pretty excited about this installment. I've wanted a Cold War era game since CoD3. And, of course, who's gonna complain about Nazi Zombies (or Guerrilla Zombies?) being included again? Can't wait for it. Or, can't wait for an official press release, rather.

shuri

Banned
FUCK CALL OF DUTY.

WAIT DEDICATED PC SERVERS

WOW CALL OF THE DUTY IS THE BEST GAME EVER JUST CAME BACK FROM A 4 HOURS MARATHON!!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I swear to motherfucking god, if they put the same bullshit they did on Veteran as they did in World at War, I will seriously punch the ever living shit of that game designer who thought that's how you create difficulties

Oh hey let's do infinite spawn of enemies, who have 100% accuracy, are always looking at you and not the other AI, and lets top it off by them grenade spamming 50 grenades at the same spot at the same time

Oh the only way it will stop is if you cross a magical invisible line, or destroy 2 points of a 4 point checkpoint

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk Raaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggeeeee!!!

I have never in my gaming life/career came so close to just breaking a disc in half and burning it down to ashes

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, a Treyarch CoD game is going to be the only reason I play a CoD anymore, hope it's good.

GraveRobberX said:
I swear to motherfucking god, if they put the same bullshit they did on Veteran as they did in World at War, I will seriously punch the ever living shit of that game designer who thought that's how you create difficulties

Oh hey let's do infinite spawn of enemies, who have 100% accuracy, are always looking at you and not the other AI, and lets top it off by them grenade spamming 50 grenades at the same spot at the same time

Oh the only way it will stop is if you cross a magical invisible line, or destroy 2 points of a 4 point checkpoint

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk Raaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggeeeee!!!

I have never in my gaming life/career came so close to just breaking a disc in half and burning it down to ashes

Yeah, Veteran is dogshit in every CoD game. I can't believe I actually went through it on WaW, the next to the last level was nearly impossible. :lol

Mad_Ban

Blu_LED said:
After buying, and playing through MW2 I have come to the decision that I will never buy another Call of Duty game, ever again.
Yep.

I'm never jumping on the "I'll get it because my friends pestered me to" train again. :lol

Rubezh

I've bought a CoD game every Christmas since CoD4 in 2007. I'm going to be giving this one a pass, I don't want another one yet.

Ahh man, they sort of had the same idea that I had(different time periods and conflicts) the only difference was that all of the characters that you controlled in each conflict were of the same family, just descendants. I thought it would be pretty cool. :D

One thing is how is multiplayer going to work if theres many different time periods of weapons?

Dennis

Banned
Sound good to me. After WW2 and very modern times, Cold War scenarios and Vietnam will be a welcome change.

MW2 SP campaign >>>>> MW SP campaign

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Lionheart1827 said:
Ahh man, they sort of had the same idea that I had(different time periods and conflicts) the only difference was that all of the characters that you controlled in each conflict were of the same family, just descendants. I thought it would be pretty cool. :D

I like the idea, but do it like Saving Private Ryan, each brother was in the conflict of the war at different places

Like Vietnam, follows 2 of the "family name" brothers. 1 is a gunner for an Apache heli (do a rail shooter mission), it gets gunned down, brother gets captured, other brother doing a mission in the rice fields learns about brothers demise and joins a special task force to go rescue him

Xater

I no longer really care but jsut for the sake of discussion: I thought it was already semi-confirmed that this COD will be set in Vietnam.

Rubezh

Foliorum Viridum said:
Jumping from 40s to 80s would be quite jarring, I think.

That's one of the main complaints I have against all CoD games, both IW and Treyarch. If this rumor is true, there's going to be a high level of disconnect and less sense of continuity and consistency. In a recent Giant Bombcast, they were talking about how the new MoH is based in one country, in constrast to jumping wildly from location to location. Should be interesting.

I'm never buying an IW COD game again but World at War was awesome and I'll give Treyarch the benefit of the doubt. If this next one sucks then I'll be done with the series, but I have high hopes.

At this point I'm more willing to trust Treyarch to make a decent game than IW. I didn't particularly love WaW's multiplayer but at least I don't hate it like I grew to with MW2.

Colocho

Banned
The Call of Duty games are basically the only FPSs I can enjoy, I don't know if it's the simpleness of it's execution or something like that, but any other FPS seems slow and boring to me.

I'll gladly give this one a shot.

quickwhips

They need to stop this and get them to make a die hard game. Seriously. Give it a rest for a few years and move onto something I would want to play.

I'm just praying they don't follow in IW's footsteps regarding the multiplayer. I didn't mind them doing so for COD4 as a foundation, but now it's time to do their own thing. MW2 was too obnoxious for me.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
If it was all infiltration/stealth missions then it would be day 1 for me. Those were by far the best parts of the other COD games.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I know it's cool to talk smack about CoD right now, but I enjoyed MW2 and I will probably buy this one as well... as much as I hate Activision.

Confidence Man said:

Why? Can you actually explain what you just wrote down?

The only thing Treyarch is good is at copying. They basically made something that looks more like a mod of CoD4 rather than a completely new game.

It was really sad playing a full priced game that was Modern Warfare copy-paste in WW2. :lol

Yeah, I know, originality isn't everything, but Jesus Christ, that was truly pathetic.

Top Bottom