• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Call of Duty 7: Black Ops? Zombies and Dedicated Servers?

Lagspike_exe said:
No IW, no buy.

If someone posted this an year ago, I would be rolling with it.
Now? Fuck No! People (included me) shat on Treyarch but they are doing their best to make COD fun, not serious mumbo jumbo.

Good for Activision, I guess. I ain't buying this shit either way.

So.. to fix your post:

Lagspike_exe said:
Activision, no buy.

shagg_187 said:
If someone posted this an year ago, I would be rolling with it.
Now? Fuck No! People (included me) shat on Treyarch but they are doing their best to make COD fun, not serious mumbo jumbo.

Good for Activision, I guess. I ain't buying this shit either way.

So.. to fix your post:

It's not hard to fix a few balancing issues when you have an additional year of play testing and when the only thing you're doing in between is reskinning the game.

Games that Treyarch developed:

* Die by the Sword (1998)
* Die by the Sword: Limb from Limb (1998) (Expansion Pack)
* Triple Play 2000 (1999)
* Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm (2000)
* Max Steel: Covert Missions (2000)
* Triple Play 2001 (2000)
* NHL 2K2 (2001)
* Triple Play Baseball (2001)
* Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer (2002)
* Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder 2 (Canceled)
* Minority Report: Everybody Runs (2002)
* Spider-Man (2002)
* NHL 2K3 (2002)
* Spider-Man 2 (2004)
* Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (2005)
* Ultimate Spider-Man (2005)
* Call of Duty 3 (2006)
* Spider-Man 3 (2007) (Only developed the Xbox 360, PC & PS3 version of the game)
* Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (2008) Wii, PS3, PS2, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC
* Quantum of Solace (2008) PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PC
* Call of Duty: World at War (2008) PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PC , Nintendo DS

As you can see, most of these games are either awful or mediocre.

Now, let's see Infinity Ward:

Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Basically, games that have earned countless awards and sold dozens of millions of units. Oh, yeah, they also supplied Activision with one of their most lucrative franchises EVER.

Treyarch > IW :lol :lol :lol

WickedLaharl said:
i used to be a "treyarse sucks. infinity ward rules" guy until i played MW2 and realised that W@W is the better game.

better maps, better gameplay balance, local search, zombie mode, ect.

so basically i'm looking forward to treyarch's next CoD because at the very least it can't end up worse than MW2.

You do realize that World at War was, basically, a project that was meant to create a Call of Duty 4 (an IW game) in World War II time frame, so Activision could sell the same game twice, right? It's more like a mod than a true, stand alone game.

i used to be a "treyarse sucks. infinity ward rules" guy until i played MW2 and realised that W@W is the better game.

better maps, better gameplay balance, local search, zombie mode, ect.

so basically i'm looking forward to treyarch's next CoD because at the very least it can't end up worse than MW2.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Lagspike_exe said:

GODDAMN SPIDERMAN 2

As you can see, most of these games are either awful or mediocre. hurpdurp

You better not be talkin mess about Spidey 2, brother.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lagspike_exe said:
It's not hard to fix a few balancing issues when you have an additional year of play testing and when the only thing you're doing in between is reskinning the game.

As you can see, most of these games are either awful or mediocre.

Now, let's see Infinity Ward:

Basically, games that have earned countless awards and sold dozens of millions of units. Oh, yeah, they also supplied Activision with one of their most lucrative franchises EVER.

Die by the Sword was pretty awesome though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lagspike_exe said:

What's the excuse for MW2 then? They had 2 years, used the same engine, and made an incredibly glitchy balance cluster fuck because they're too high and mighty to have a beta.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The game will still sell gangbusters because lots of people will still buy it, but I'm not one of that bunch. Fuck this series. I haven't been burned like I was with MW2 since well, ever. I hate it almost as much as Resistance 2 (for different reasons though).

Papercuts said:
What's the excuse for MW2 then? They had 2 years, used the same engine, and made an incredibly glitchy balance cluster fuck because they're too high and mighty to have a beta.

At least it looks and plays like a new game, unlike Treyarch's Call of Duty wannabe.

Cobra84

Papercuts said:
There is no excuse. They completely fucked up what is basically an expansion pack.

Lagspike_exe said:
At least it looks and plays like a new game, unlike Treyarch's Call of Duty wannabe.
A lot of the "new" guns are reskins of old ones (M14,G3 -FAL, G36-ACR) or are poorly balanced. The new maps, killstreaks, and perks are worse than the old ones.

NameGenerated said:
How is MW2 poorly balanced?
I honestly don't know where to start. It might be easier to list what is balanced.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SapientWolf said:
Die by the Sword was pretty awesome though.

Except it had some of the worst controls I've ever encountered. The premise of the game (hack off limbs and bludgeon enemies to death with their feet or arms) was great, but the clunky controls.. ugh.

Papercuts

Lagspike_exe said:

How, exactly, does it look different? It plays just like CoD, they just added a bunch of killstreaks(which, in turn, fucked the game). I had more fun with WaW over 4 and MW2 anyway, it's not like them using the core of 4 to base their game means the game had no ideas of its own, the engine doesn't just automatically forge a gaming experience.

Yasae

Banned
Rubezh said:
I've bought a CoD game every Christmas since CoD4 in 2007. I'm going to be giving this one a pass, I don't want another one yet.
What's that you say?

Running their franchise into the ground you say?

Well I'll be damned.

Firestorm

According to a report from Tek9 (via MapModNews), an Activision insider has reportedly said that the next Call of Duty title will be called “Call of Duty: Black Ops”.The report states the game, being developed by Treyarch, will take place in various times in history during the Cold War, from World War II to up to present day, with missions in Vietnam, Cuba, South America
That seems to violate the contract Activision signed with West and Zampella, no?

Papercuts

NameGenerated said:
How is MW2 poorly balanced?

It might have changed now, I don't know, but back when I was playing it there was the 1887 shotgun which apparently wasn't playtested at all with the insane range it had, quick reload, and instant kill. It had to be patch nerfed TWICE because the first one was done in such a rush that it was still able to be nullified if you put an attachment on the gun.

On top of this, I like objective games. But in MW2, it because "camp for a nuke" game, because even if you're on the verge of winning against a team that didn't even try, you lost once that hit. The game is loaded with stupid decisions like that, not to mention every week having some new broken glitch(javelin explosion on death, infinite ammo games you got thrown into, etc). There's also the knife-only classes that abuse lag and lunge ridiculous amounts for instant kills, even after you put a couple rounds in their chest.

All of this compounded on top of maps I found to be devoid of anything fun, so I stopped pretty quickly.

COD5&6 both sucked, they were both riding the sucess of COD4, and I strongly believe of you are only as good as your last product, COD6 frustrated people and COD5 wasn't what people expected, COD7 won't sell as much as those two, it's still going to sell a shit ton but not as much, this franchise is going on a decline begining with this. /prediction.

I always laugh when belittle World At War in any way they can saying they basically took COD4 and re-skinned it. Who the fuck cares, if the re-skin is awesome then it's awesome. If they take MW2 and re-skin it and make it better then hells yeah.

World at War was pretty badass I think. The settings sound great and would be varied. Let's hope Treyarch can make another hit. I hope they do their own things if it's going to have perks also. Rather than make similar ones to the last ones it would be cool if they came up with totally new ones (and not cheap shit like Commando!).

Dresden said:
Wow, I'm finally seeing a IW fanboy. I thought they all died off a while ago.

I'm not an IW fanboy, I spent much more time playing other FPS games online this gen than CoD4 and CoD6 combined, but since I've been playing their games since CoD1 it kinda of a irritates me when they're compared to a B-class developer, such as Treyarch.

Unfortunately Treyarch is probably going to have to include all the broken junk MW2 introduced to the series. Hopefully they can balance the ill-conceived killstreaks and perks IW put in their game.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Tokubetsu said:
Tactical knife; commando perk.
Papercuts said:
It might have changed now, I don't know, but back when I was playing it there was the 1887 shotgun which apparently wasn't playtested at all with the insane range it had, quick reload, and instant kill. It had to be patch nerfed TWICE because the first one was done in such a rush that it was still able to be nullified if you put an attachment on the gun.

On top of this, I like objective games. But in MW2, it because "camp for a nuke" game, because even if you're on the verge of winning against a team that didn't even try, you lost once that hit. The game is loaded with stupid decisions like that, not to mention every week having some new broken glitch(javelin explosion on death, infinite ammo games you got thrown into, etc). There's also the knife-only classes that abuse lag and lunge ridiculous amounts for instant kills, even after you put a couple rounds in their chest.

All of this compounded on top of maps I found to be devoid of anything fun, so I stopped pretty quickly.
I'll give you the runner class, but it wasn't that bad. There were less 1887s than runners so they never really bothered me and even after the first patch where they were "fixed" I hardly ever saw them.

I only ever played Deathmatch so I never had objective mode problems but "camp for a nuke"? There's a killcam for a reason, just kill whoever is trying that. Javelin-dom I saw a few times but it was fixed relatively quickly. I played a lot during the height of the public-match glitch and I never saw it. I did get put into one a few times but that was before the game started so I just backed out.

The only maps I don't like are Estate and Derail.

Overall I think MW2 gets a lot of unjust hate. I think it's a great game.

Lunchbox

Banned
:lol @ kids thinking treyarch can make a better game than IW

this games gonna be a reskinned MW2+, just like how waw was a reskinned crappier cod4

Lagspike_exe said:
I'm not an IW fanboy, I spent much more time playing other FPS games online this gen than CoD4 and CoD6 combined, but since I've been playing their games since CoD1 it kinda of a irritates me when they're compared to a B-class developer, such as Treyarch.
After MW2, IW isn't even B-class.

omg rite said:
Why do people like you pretend World at War was a bad game?

It was not a bad game if we pretend that Call of Duty 4 didn't exist, but since it did, it's a very bad game and, even worst, carries a price tag of a full game.

So, yes, it is a bad game. It's bad not only because it's almost the exact same experience like CoD4 WHICH CAME OUT ONE FUCKING YEAR BEFORE IT, but also because it's more like a mod or a reskin project, rather than a new experience.

omg rite said:
Why do people like you pretend World at War was a bad game?

Why do people like you pretend MW2 was a bad game?
Yes, we are all collectively "pretending" that these games are bad. That's got to be it.

Dresden

Lagspike_exe said:
It was not a bad game if we pretend that Call of Duty 4 didn't exist, but since it did, it's a very bad game and, even worst, carries a price tag of a full game.

So, yes, it is a bad game. It's bad not only because it's almost the exact same experience like CoD4 WHICH CAME OUT ONE FUCKING YEAR BEFORE IT, but also because it's more like a mod or a reskin project, rather than a new experience.
You act like MW2 is anything other than MW with reskinned guns, additional killstreaks and a couple new maps. That's exactly what WaW was.

Lagspike_exe said:

Clearly Treyarch's fault that they are given license games and given a very specific deadline and task whereas IW has no limitation on what to do as long as it starts with Call and ends with of Duty.

Again, Not to shit on IW's parade but Treyarch is doing their best to improve on the MW experience and add tons to it.

Dresden said:
You act like MW2 is anything other than MW with reskinned guns, additional killstreaks and a couple new maps. That's exactly what WaW was.

MW1 --> MW2 was HUGELY more noticeable than MW1 --> W@W.

The difference between MW1 and W@W were the textures. Difference from MW1 to MW2? Much bigger. If you still don't understand what I'm talking about, play MW1 for a few hours, then switch to MW2. It's much more than "more guns, new maps".

shagg_187 said:
Clearly Treyarch's fault that they are given license games and given a very specific deadline and task whereas IW has no limitation on what to do as long as it starts with Call and ends with of Duty.

And this has nothing to do with quality of each developer, right? :lol

Dresden

Lagspike_exe said:

The difference between MW1 and W@W were the textures. Difference from MW1 to MW2? Much bigger. If you still don't understand what I'm talking about, play MW1 for a few hours, then switch to MW2. It's much more than "more guns, new maps".
I had about 15 days played on MW1, and I have about ten days played on MW2, and the main difference between the two is that there are far less bullshit deaths in MW1 and it's generally a better game.

Tanks alone made WaW's multiplayer stand out from the two MW games.

MYE

Lagspike_exe said:

MW2 was shit and Treyarch doesnt really have to break a sweat to run circles around that retarded single player campaign and broken online IW farted out in disc form.

Lagspike_exe said:

It might has well technically been a reskin as far as how they made it, but the focus on semi-auto rifles as well bolt action snipers versus the ones found in CoD4 made it play totally different. Especially when the maps were bigger and more open ended.

Lagspike_exe said:

Clearly you are the one in denial.
The only thing "new" introduced in MW2 were the badges/logos that you can unlock and Spec Ops mode.

They shat on splitscreen by forcing each player to have a seperate loadout instead of using the ones you unlock online and giving it to everyone. Also, Spec Ops was creating to capitalize on Nazi Zombie success.

Nazi Zombie > Spec Ops. And I'm done here.

EDIT: On and ask IW to make a game for every console and they'll shit their pants. Treyarch is doing a great job porting a game to every system possible and they don't get enough credit for that. Hell, they ported COD4 for IW and in return, Treyarch's logo was removed from the game... Pretty fucking classy!

Papercuts

Lagspike_exe said:

Going by this logic, how is a mod that is apparently the EXACT SAME 100% PLAGIARISM OMG of CoD4 bad if CoD4 itself isn't? Not liking a game for being extremely similar is one thing, but outright saying it isn't good and not saying any reason aside from it being just like the game it's similar to...is pretty much saying the core it copied from is just as crappy. I really don't know how you think MW2 changed the formula so much, it still plays exactly the same as it did in 4, it just added more fluff.

NameGenerated said:
I'll give you the runner class, but it wasn't that bad. There were less 1887s than runners so they never really bothered me and even after the first patch where they were "fixed" I hardly ever saw them.

I only ever played Deathmatch so I never had objective mode problems but "camp for a nuke"? There's a killcam for a reason, just kill whoever is trying that. Javelin-dom I saw a few times but it was fixed relatively quickly. I played a lot during the height of the public-match glitch and I never saw it. I did get put into one a few times but that was before the game started so I just backed out.

The only maps I don't like are Estate and Derail.

Overall I think MW2 gets a lot of unjust hate. I think it's a great game.

I usually played on hardcore, but either way, the nuke should not determine a winner in an objective gametype. I also frequently got matched up against whole clans that would all just camp nearby and play the rest like a deatmatch, it's hard to go after a specific player when the whole team is acting the same yet secretly defending one member for the win.

I HATED Estate, Wasteland, and Favela, Estate was the map I was put into more than any other. I wasn't very fond of the rest, with Underpass and Terminal being the only two I thought were pretty good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lunchbox said:
because it was

But it wasn't. World At War is a very good game. Does it have flaws? Sure. But it's irritating that people try to make it out to be a flat out bad game.

ZZMitch

omg rite said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure yours is.
I knew his comment was sarcasm, but I treated it like it wasnt.

Because MW2 is an amazing game, and the hate it gets of GAF (mostly by people who have barely played it), is in itselfs... amazing.

Top Bottom