• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Call of Duty 7: Black Ops? Zombies and Dedicated Servers?

dLMN8R

I played Call of Duty 1, 2, 4, and 5 on PC, but got Modern Warfare 2 as a gift for 360. I was about to exchange it for the PC version but figured I'd give a 360 FPS a shot, especially since I have a bunch of friends with it too.

It was my first real experience with an online console FPS, and quite honestly, it works pretty dang well. I'd rather play Bad Company 2 on PC any day, but the matchmaking setup instead of dedicated servers works well for the style of game Modern Warfare 2 is.

Quite honestly, Infinity Ward's and Treyarch's own online systems are such utter shit in Call of Duty 4 and World at War, that I'd take Steamworks + no dedicated servers in CoD7 over the World at War system in CoD 7 any day.

That said, hopefully CoD 7 uses the Steamworks integration of Modern Warfare 2 + dedicated server support like Valve's games.

EYEL1NER

If true, not sure if want.
I was very happy to hear the rumor that Treyarch was going to be doing a game set in 'Nam, but a bunch of missions scattered about? Hmmmm...I'd trust Treyarch to do it well over IW. I'll have to follow this one closely if true.

Najaf

At this stage in development, killstreaks stack and carry over if you die, but do not contribute to further killstreaks (hence eliminating the 'camping for killstreaks' problem of Modern Warfare 2).

That does not make much sense. How is a killstreak carried over if you die? Death, by definition, would make a killstreak over.

I must be misunderstanding this.

EDIT: Well, at least I'm not alone in this.

Najaf said:
That does not make much sense. How is a killstreak carried over if you die? Death, by definition, would make a killstreak over.

I must be misunderstanding this.

EDIT: Well, at least I'm not alone in this.

The kills don't carry over, the already unlocked killstreak rewards do.

Raide

Mikey Jr. said:
"At this stage in development, killstreaks stack and carry over if you die, but do not contribute to further killstreaks (hence eliminating the 'camping for killstreaks' problem of Modern Warfare 2)."

I dont understand this part.

I am guessing it means, even if you die while having a killstreak item, you can re-spawn and still use it but it does not increase the kill streak from your earlier run. Kinda like having the killstreak unlocked at 0 kills to play with.

Jin34

The carry over doesnt make any sense since thats how it works now, but the killstreaks not counting toward other killstreaks is a huge change, once I get a Harrier I just hide, let it hopefully kill 4 people and then use the chopper gunner.

darkressurection said:
Wow, from they sounds of it Treyarch is gonna best IW at their own game.:lol
That list is so bogus. They might as well toss in "Rumor: Treyarch experimented with copying MW2 but found it janky bullshit."

benjipwns said:

They don't though.

In Modern Warfare 1 they did, if you got a helicopter common thing to do was kill yourself and call in the chopper when you respawned and let it get you another chopper.

In Modern Warfare 2 if you get a kill streak and die it doesn't count towards a new kill streak when you respawn. You can't get 11 kills and get an AC130 or Apache, kill yourself then call when you respawn to get yourself another AC/Apache. You get the kills but they count towards your new killstreak.

Why? even start working on the game with the MW2 version? Why not just build it based on World At War, atleast they will have their own game. This feels like they are making changes to the game rather than creating a new Call Of Duty :(

bathala

Banned
well the source got it right, and its no brainer for the zombie mode to be back.
PC elites happy for dedicated server?

Facism

toasty_T said:
No jelly on the screen this time, please.

Thank you.

One of the worst conventions of this generation. Give me a healthbar that regens instead of obstructing my view with jam or fading to black and white

Puck

Banned
bathala said:
Not really, it was a fucking dumb idea to remove them in the first place, and to add the feature back in as if nothing happened is just moronic.

MW2 was crap and this doesn't sound any better.

BFBC2 is where the PC FPSers are.

Salacious Crumb

bathala said:
well the source got it right, and its no brainer for the zombie mode to be back.

Ugh, stop being a dick. There was nothing elite about wanting dedicated servers for a competitive FPS on PC, especially when the last 4 games in the franchise had them.

As for Black Ops.... I guess it will make CoD fans happy, but for me, not so much. There's two many other companies out there making great games that actually appreciate their fans for me to care about it.

Facism

bathala said:

If anything, console gamers should be demanding a necessity like dedicated servers. Bread and butter of online gaming for decades, only to be shat out the window for p2p Live/PSN and the mooks who think dedicated servers are something special and rare.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bathala said:

I'll say one word for you to understand why dedis on PC are absolutely necessary: cheaters. MW2 is a glowing example of why P2P on PC sucks if it's not for coop.

NameGenerated said:
How is MW2 poorly balanced?
Cobra84 said:
I honestly don't know where to start. It might be easier to list what is balanced.
:lol
nskinnear said:
It was this one actually:

screenshot_MW2.jpg

Hah. All that shit happens in every fucking game, too.
hahahaha

Top Bottom