• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Call of Duty 7: Black Ops? Zombies and Dedicated Servers?

Risette

A Good Citizen
nskinnear said:
Where's that MW2 picture that was made in MS Paint with the screen full of killstreaks/perks/death rewards/random messages/etc?

That explains MW2 in one word: Clusterfuck

I loved CoD4, and I enjoyed WaW, but I hated MW2. It was just a mess. Even with two years of development and an endless supply of money, they still produced a glitch-filled mess.
30ib3hs.jpg

This?

Cep

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
COD5&6 both sucked, they were both riding the sucess of COD4, and I strongly believe of you are only as good as your last product, COD6 frustrated people and COD5 wasn't what people expected, COD7 won't sell as much as those two, it's still going to sell a shit ton but not as much, this franchise is going on a decline begining with this. /prediction.

Ehh, you got that mixed up.

COD5 was better than expected and came as a really pleasant surprise.

COD6 was a cluster-fuck in too many ways to count and just about killed a great deal of support from the community.

Dresden

Cep said:
Ehh, you got that mixed up.

COD5 was better than expected and came as a really pleasant surprise.

COD6 was a cluster-fuck in too many ways to count and just about killed a great deal of support from the community.
COD5 wasn't really a pleasant surprise. Me and my buddies would constantly bitch about how terrible it was as we played it online, talking about how IW wouldn't have done this, or that, etc, etc. It had COD4 to live up to and many people found it lacking.

Of course, after MW2, I feel dumb now.

Wthermans

Banned
UO was still the best of the series IMO. I'll buy this one if it has dedicated servers. I just hope there are non-scoped bolt action rifles. The bolt actions and larger maps in W@W were awesome and the best thing the series has seen since COD2.

Mr Sandman said:
It might has well technically been a reskin as far as how they made it, but the focus on semi-auto rifles as well bolt action snipers versus the ones found in CoD4 made it play totally different. Especially when the maps were bigger and more open ended.

Well, it would be kind of a strange if they focused on automatic rifles considering the game took place in World War 2, wouldn't it? :lol

Papercuts said:
Going by this logic, how is a mod that is apparently the EXACT SAME 100% PLAGIARISM OMG of CoD4 bad if CoD4 itself isn't? Not liking a game for being extremely similar is one thing, but outright saying it isn't good and not saying any reason aside from it being just like the game it's similar to...is pretty much saying the core it copied from is just as crappy. I really don't know how you think MW2 changed the formula so much, it still plays exactly the same as it did in 4, it just added more fluff.

Modern Warfare 2 is a evolution of the Modern Warfare concept. Starting from perks, the somewhat changed aiming, the new customization abilities (akimbo?), the added killstreaks/deathstrakes mechanics and the vastly increased arsenal of available weapons it really felt like a new game to me.

W@W? Copy modern/paste old.

shagg_187 said:
Clearly you are the one in denial.
The only thing "new" introduced in MW2 were the badges/logos that you can unlock and Spec Ops mode.

They shat on splitscreen by forcing each player to have a seperate loadout instead of using the ones you unlock online and giving it to everyone. Also, Spec Ops was creating to capitalize on Nazi Zombie success.

Nazi Zombie > Spec Ops. And I'm done here.

EDIT: On and ask IW to make a game for every console and they'll shit their pants. Treyarch is doing a great job porting a game to every system possible and they don't get enough credit for that. Hell, they ported COD4 for IW and in return, Treyarch's logo was removed from the game... Pretty fucking classy!

Are you aware of the fact that IW is a very, very small studio by today's standards and that they've always focused on high-end hardware. Asking them to devote their resources so platforms with very poor performance would be an awful decision considering they already run on very limited man-power resources.

And who the hell cares who ports a game? It's the core idea and execution that matters, porting is completely irrelevant if it either doesn't go beyond what the original game did or makes some kind of a breakthrough on the target platform, or, in the other case, goes completely wrong (see Bayonetta as an example of this).

Cep said:

Uhhh, what? I constantly see 500-600k+ players on PSN.

ZZMitch said:
MW2 >>> W@W>MW1>>>Other CoD games

This is a rather sad thing to read.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ZZMitch said:
I knew his comment was sarcasm, but I treated it like it wasnt.

Because MW2 is an amazing game, and the hate it gets of GAF (mostly by people who have barely played it), is in itselfs... amazing.

Yeah, I knew what you were doing. He didn't. :lol

The MW2 (or is it COD in general?) backlash is laughable. And I only see that amount of hate here. I can't sign onto 360 today without seeing multiple people playing it. In general, people love the game.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Don't get me wrong, I would never argue being disappointed with it or simply not liking it. But to call MW2 "complete shit" is such typical gamer hyperbole. You can not like Mario Galaxy but could you really call it "shit" and not be laughed out of a conversation?

It reminds me of the GTA4 backlash here. It was disappointing, sure, and in general I don't like the series. But I would never call it "shit" because that's just not true.

I look at it this way: Rogue Warrior is complete shit. To act as if MW2 is somehow in the same category as Rogue Warrior is an opinion that makes me embarrassed to be a gamer.

ZZMitch

Rapping Granny said:
GTFO, seriously. MW2 doesn't even touch COD4, COD2 and 1.

MW2 is in the shit pile of COD games with COD3, WAW, Reflex and the PS2 ports.
U mad?

No im not going to leave because I think a different game is better.

Go back play CoD1 today and tell me it is better... please.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lagspike_exe said:
Well, it would be kind of a strange if they focused on automatic rifles considering the game took place in World War 2, wouldn't it? :lol

Modern Warfare 2 is a evolution of the Modern Warfare concept. Starting from perks, the somewhat changed aiming, the new customization abilities (akimbo?), the added killstreaks/deathstrakes mechanics and the vastly increased arsenal of available weapons it really felt like a new game to me.

W@W? Copy modern/paste old.

Why are you being so unfair to WaW? It had a completely different set of weapons from MW...yes, it had to because it was WW2, but it's still a significant difference that had to be completely rebalanced. It added some more perks, changed the 7 kill killstreak, and tried to rebalance some of the old ones from MW that everyone hated(like martydom).

It also added nazi zombies which by itself made a lot of people buy the new map packs even if they never actually played the new maps, they just did it for more nazi zombies. MW2's advancements are not any more significant than these are, deatstreaks and the callsigns are cool ideas but in the end aren't significant to gameplay. Akimbo felt really tacked on along with Tanks in WaW, the next CoD could remove the feature and I wouldn't notice.

Oh, WaW also had campaign co-op which MW2 didn't even have.

vulva

ZZMitch said:
I knew his comment was sarcasm, but I treated it like it wasnt.

Because MW2 is an amazing game, and the hate it gets of GAF (mostly by people who have barely played it), is in itselfs... amazing.
ok dyack

ZZMitch said:
U mad?

Do you think it's normal to compare a game from 2003 made on god knows how much slower hardware to a game from 2009?

If you're comparing games from the same series, you have to use a different kind of criteria.
For example, if we compare how influential each of the IW's games were in their time frames, Call of Duty 4 would probably be #1.

Papercuts said:
Why are you being so unfair to WaW? It had a completely different set of weapons from MW...yes, it had to because it was WW2, but it's still a significant difference that had to be completely rebalanced. It added some more perks, changed the 7 kill killstreak, and tried to rebalance some of the old ones from MW that everyone hated(like martydom).

It also added nazi zombies which by itself made a lot of people buy the new map packs even if they never actually played the new maps, they just did it for more nazi zombies. MW2's advancements are not any more significant than these are, deatstreaks and the callsigns are cool ideas but in the end aren't significant to gameplay. Akimbo felt really tacked on along with Tanks in WaW, the next CoD could remove the feature and I wouldn't notice.

Oh, WaW also had campaign co-op which MW2 didn't even have.

OK, let's just agree that we disagree.

ZZMitch

omg rite said:
Yeah, I knew what you were doing. He didn't. :lol

The MW2 (or is it COD in general?) backlash is laughable. And I only see that amount of hate here. I can't sign onto 360 today without seeing multiple people playing it. In general, people love the game.
Well the funny thing is is that the second MW2 backlash began... W@W and MW suddenly became godly games in the GAF hive-mind.

Lagspike_exe said:
Yeah no shit. But I guess my point flew over your head.

ZZMitch said:
U mad?

Yeah I would, COD1 is a better game than COD6, sure the graphics are different, but the campain was amazing and better structured than that dudebro america fuck yeah piece of crap.

Ten-Song

nskinnear said:
Hah. All that shit happens in every fucking game, too.

Being a sniper is so fucking annoying in MW2 because of that shit. :lol

You kill one guy and the game just can't help but to throw up all that stupid "AVENGER, LONG RANGE, HEAD SHOT, ONE SHOT ONE KILL" on top of all the other crap that's already overloading the screen. The game doesn't worry about being fun or interesting to play anymore, it just wants to completely overload the user at all times.

Lagspike_exe vs GAF, indeed.

You're on a one-sided argument, my friend. Your posts are so hypocritical, it's not even worth arguing with you. Calling W@W copy/paste and calling MW2 evolution is fucking laughable but I ain't going to waste my breath and laugh at this shit...

I said I'm done here but damn... your invalid counterargument keeps on bringing me to this thread!

i was hoping the title was referring to the entire game having zombies and monsters and shit. Like you play as a special super secret govt' unit thats been around for a hundred years quietly defeating zombie, alien and monster uprisings throughout time. That zombie outbreak in Vietnam during the war, for example.

Tokubetsu

ZZMitch said:
MW2 >>> W@W>MW1>>>Other CoD games

:lol

CoD4 > CoD1/UO > WaW > CoD2 > Ever other CoD Game.

I played CoD competitively for over a year back in 10th grade. I've yet to do that with any other game. It was great. CoD2 could be fun but they really messed up the pacing and cheating was a LOT more prevalent so I didn't stick with it for long (also, it was a pretty unoptimized engine). CoD4 addressed all these issues and pretty much perfected the formula they had going. The maps were great and aside from the whole AK and desert eagle thing, the weapons felt pretty balanced. MW2 has TERRIBLE maps, there are only handful of good/great ones (Favela, Sub Base and thats about it). Hardcore mode feels somehow worse than it did in CoD4 where I actually enjoyed it. Killstreaks are ridiculous so every game feels like a race for one instead of a reward for playing well. Map level exploits are rampant and quite a few of the perks reward behavior that shouldn't be catered to in what is primarily a team based shooter (lone wolfing, camping...).

Wthermans

Banned
ZZMitch said:
U mad?

I tried that a few months ago and couldn't find a server with a good enough ping. UO had even worse results. COD2 is still top notch and far better than the redesign of the series that started with MW1. Cover was far more important and added a whole new level of gameplay. Plus COD2 still has tons of mods and custom maps which add a ton of replayability to the MP. UO will always be my favorite though cause it kept the original COD gameplay, but added a ranking system, larger redesigned maps, new weapons and little things like sprint, cookable nades, and satchel charges. It's kinda funny cause a lot of the things people love about MW1 were taken straight from UO (even though IW kept a lot of those features out of COD2). The only downside was that you couldn't throw nades back which is one of my favorite things about the redesign of the franchise.

Furoba

I'd love a FPS featuring the Spanish-American war, Russo-Japanese, Boer war or first World War. Wars need to be epic. :D

shagg_187 said:
Lagspike_exe vs GAF, indeed.

You're on a one-sided argument, my friend. Your posts are so hypocritical, it's not even worth arguing with you. Calling W@W copy/paste and calling MW2 evolution is fucking laughable but I ain't going to waste my breath and laugh at this shit...

I said I'm done here but damn... your invalid counterargument keeps on bringing me to this thread!

Me vs. GAF? All I see are some people bashing MW2 and calling fucking Treyarch better developer than IW.

If I had the time and will, which I don't, I would compile the list of games of each dev and their respective metacritic/gameranking scores. That would be quite amusing stuff to read. :lol

Lagspike_exe said:
Me vs. GAF? All I see are some people bashing MW2 and calling fucking Treyarch better developer than IW.

If I had the time and will, which I don't, I would compile the list of games of each dev and their respective metacritic/gameranking scores. That would be quite amusing stuff to read. :lol

tony hawk 2x >>>> anything IW ever did

treyarch wins :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lunchbox said:
TreyArse lovers playing MW2 -

http://i42.tinypic.com/madseb.gif[IMG]

go back to shooting mp40s you nubs[/QUOTE]

I'd post a gif of anyone playing MW2, but I don't think I'd be able to find a guy getting shot mutliple times in the chest and then knifing someone, because that shit just doesn't happen, even in movies.

I also like how anyone who defends WaW is apparently a treyarch lover. How about I just like and defend good games on their own merits?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'll buy the game if it has dedicated servers.

If not, I won't
buy it at launch, but then I'll wait until CoD 8 hits the shelves November 2011 to buy it used

Mr Sandman said:
You mean BF1942 right? Because if so I can see your point...
But Allied Assaults the best
:D

Yeah I mean 1942 :/

Personally I spend MORE time in AA than 1942. AA was insanely fun and I was part of league tournaments for that shit! MOH:AA all the fucking way, baby!! :D

Lunchbox said:
TreyArse lovers playing MW2 -

go back to shooting mp40s you nubs
Can't be MW2. I see no hallway for that RPDG (Rocket Propelled Door GuarderTM) to be watching. Also there's no heart beat sensor on it!

Pennybags

shagg_187 said:
BF1942 > MOH:AA > COD:UO.

Everyone who argues against this is WRONG!

EDIT: Drats! I meant 1942.

Well, Battlefield 1943 gets points for value/price.

As of this moment, I prefer Treyarch's Call of Duty because they take game forward without turning it into a clusterfuck. I'd like to see what they can do without being chained to the WWII setting.

Blader

I thought WaW was pretty solid, and Black Ops sounds cool, but I'm having a hard time trying to rationalize supporting Activision after the bullshit they've been pulling with the franchise.

Razor210

And so this thread has turned into a debate on whether MW2 is shit or not.

Mind you, I'm not going to buy another COD game again, mostly because of MW2. It's unbalanced as fuck. No need to go over everything (perks, killstreaks, glitching, the fact that killstreaks make people camp in the third bathroom stall in a random corner in order to kill random people who walk by)

Though, it'll be interesting to see what Treyarch does next.

Sanic

I still don't understand the hate with WaW. It wasn't as good as COD4, but it's not some worthless piece of garbage some make it out to be, and Treyarch is just a tad more respectful than IW.

lol hey blunt force and joint ops guyz!

Top Bottom