• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Facebook friends list is complete crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have 591 friends right now. How many of those am I actually good GOOD friends with? Maybe 100. How many of those 100 do I actually care to see status updates from? Maybe 50. How many of those 50 actually care about video games like me? Maybe 5.

You see something wrong with those numbers?

I just posted some youtube links on my wall that are some of my favorite video-game tracks ever, orchestrated. Why? because that was what I was listening to at the time and I like sharing awesome stuff. But, the sad fact is; nobody on my friend's list really gives a shit. And if they do take notice, it's going to be a post saying "wow, dude your such a geek!!" (in fact I just got a txt from a "close" friend basically saying that).

That's why I have shied away from such things in the past. I know the outcome. I can post "I drank coffee this morning and it was good!!" as my status, and I'll have 20 likes before nightfall. I post something I actually care about (video games), everybody acts like I'm a weirdo. If it wasn't for my brothers, sister, and a few close friends... I wouldn't have anyone to talk gaming with.

But I want to change that.

As of now I am opening my Facebook page to all my Neogaf buddies. Why?

1. Neogaf is a huge part of my life.
2. I probably have more in common with most gaffers then I do with most of my real-life friends.
3. A chance to get to know people who love gaming.
4. Feel more free and open to discuss gaming on facebook.
5. To see the actual gaffers behind the mask (avatar).

So if you are having the same feelings and/or want another gaming friend, feel free to add me and/or post your information here.

My Info (feel free to include myspace as well):

Neogaf ID: Skiesofwonder
Name: Colin Grant Thompson
Profile Page:
http://www.facebook.com/colingt

Otherwise, you can discuss how many people on your friends list aren't really your friends. I'll set the bar at: 350 people

jvalioli

Kind of ballsy to post personal information on NeoGAF. Can kinda respect it though since I don't talk videogames with any of my close friends either.

aznpxdd

Skiesofwonder said:
I have 591 friends right now. How many of those am I actually good GOOD friends with? Maybe 100. How many of those 100 do I actually care to see status updates from? Maybe 50. How many of those 50 actually care about video games like me? Maybe 5.

You see something wrong with those numbers?

lol no.

MIMIC

Banned
But seriously: forums are to discuss specific things you care about. Facebook is like a virtual hangout.

Puddles

Banned
I have 649 friends. All-time, I've probably had 700-750, but over the past year or so I've seen some of the real "who the fuck is this guy/girl?" facebook friends drop me, and I've dropped some of them myself.

I'd say that there are maybe 100-150 who I wouldn't feel comfortable messaging out of the blue or commenting on a photo of. I don't drop them because even if we don't talk, they still remind me of the different periods in my life, and sometimes I like to sit back and get nostalgic.

Replicant

Puddles said:
I have 649 friends. All-time, I've probably had 700-750, but over the past year or so I've seen some of the real "who the fuck is this guy/girl?" facebook friends drop me, and I've dropped some of them myself.

Interesting. I always wonder if those with 100+ friends actually know each one of them personally or just friend anyone who sent them friend invites/anyone they meet at random party. I guess it's the later?

Parallax said:
Curious, is there a neoGAF facebook group?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NeoGAF/38802523270?ref=ts

get better friends? I post random shit i find all the time and my friends and I have random conversations on facebook that are hilarious. Now for the chat, I only show I'm online for the people I actually care about.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
"His name is Colin Grant Thompson"

Puddles

Banned
On a side note, I find it weird when I hear people (usually girls) talking about "creepy photo comments from random people."

You should be friends with anyone who you wouldn't want to have commenting on your photos and status updates. Unless the message itself is creepy, the act of commenting on a photo of someone on your friend's list is by definition not-creepy.

Replicant said:
Interesting. I always wonder if those with 100+ friends actually know each one of them personally or just friend anyone who sent them friend invites/anyone they meet at random party. I guess it's the later?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NeoGAF/38802523270?ref=ts

Well in my case I have a fairly large network back home. In college I was in a fraternity, so well over a hundred are the guys who were there with me, some of the alumni I've met, and a lot of the newer guys who joined after I graduated and who I met when I would go visit the house as an alumnus. I also met a bunch of sorority girls who are on my friends list, although some of the random ones I only met once or twice are the people who have been dropping me.

I've taught English abroad twice, and both times I've added a significant number of facebook friends. Facebook is really the default way of communicating with everyone when you're part of a foreigner community overseas. I'd say 200-250 are people I've met overseas.

So all in all I'd say it's:

~100 people I was actually good friends with during my first few years of college.
~100 fraternity related
~50 sorority related
~200 overseas
The rest are friends of friends.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
73h5kw.gif

Skiesofwonder

Seriously guys? I respected a more mature response then this.

I'm sure a lot of you guys choose to hide (or downplay) your gaming-fanatic side on facebook. I'm personally getting tired of that.

Surely you can understand.

Edit: By the way, when I say 350 people I'm not friends with, I mean as in I don't know them THAT well. There are about 200 people on my friends list that if they called, I would consider picking up. The other 350 I don't know well enough or either I just don't particularly like. Then how did those other 300 people get there? People I meet once or twice at a bar, friends of friends, relatives, random adds I've received, football, school, acting, etc

Einbroch

Banned
Play it down? Nope. I link my trophy updates and constantly post links to videogame, chiptune, and orchestrated music all the time. If they think I'm a nerd, who cares? I have a group of close friends that accept me and even those that think I'm a nerd are my friends.

Don't get upset because someone calls you a nerd, it comes with the territory.

wenis said:

"I see, in account-death members of neoGAF have names. His name... was Colin Grant Thompson."

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Skiesofwonder said:

I'm sure a lot of you guys choose to hide (or downplay) your gaming-fanatic side on facebook. I'm personally getting tired of that.

what the hell

Skiesofwonder said:

Dude this is Neogaf, you can't be serious with that :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Despite what my tag may imply, I will be doing no such thing. Good life getting your life back once it's done being raped.

I post when I have tickets available to events and whatnot.

None of my facebook friends ever respond. I'm thinking of deleting my facebook account.

Skiesofwonder

Ninja_Hawk said:
Dude this is Neogaf, you can't be serious with that :lol

Honestly? It could of went either way. Sometimes Neogaf is cool with this stuff, other times they are not.

As for the people mocking me for getting "mad" at my friend for calling me a geek. Uh.... I could care less what he thinks. It just made me realize I don't really have any "gaming" friends.

eggandI

Banned
I'm on GAF and I wouldn't give a fuck about your fav video game music being orchestrated. Sorry bro.

Facebook/Twitter ain't for everyone and even though video gaming is much, much more mainstream these days, it's still not something every other Jane Done is into.

diunxx

I spent the afternoon playing Resident Evil 5 and talking about MvsC3 and other upcoming videogames with 2 of my best friends, feels good man.

Skiesofwonder

Costanza said:
I hate nerds who feel the need to constantly remind people "I'm a gamer!"

Did you even read the thread? I don't give a shit if people know I am a gamer or not. I was just wanting to carry over some of my gaming friends onto my facebook account. Cross the streams if you will.
So when I do have the urge to talk about gaming or read what some gaffers are doing (non-gaming related) I could. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom