• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
i5 2500k at 4.5GHz here. I use build 7714 for Xenoblade, zero slowdown or problems. I tried another build that was supposed to be good for this game, but it actually ran worse (only noticed it while recording, but I've been recording so that made a difference!)

My settings, might also help for other builds:

ixX5agdmmox5K.png

Edit: AA and LLE work fine if you're not recording, but I get some hiccups with FRAPs with those enabled.

I'm getting some odd audio in Project Zero 2. Occasional static or desync. Any ideas?

Using LLE? That's the first thing I'd try, if you can do it without slowdown.

Ledsen

Were you playing with the EU copy? I think that version caps at 25 fps, so you have to patch it up to support 30.

It was patched , the drops were from 30 fps down to almost 20 sometimes. None of the other builds could handle big battles with multiple enemies while using tons of skills at the same time.

i5 2500k at 4.5GHz here. I use build 7714 for Xenoblade, zero slowdown or problems. I tried another build that was supposed to be good for this game, but it actually ran worse (only noticed it while recording, but I've been recording so that made a difference!)

No slowdown at all, even when measuring with FRAPS? Try my test case: Teleport to that huge fortress thingie with Mechons and a lot of walkways that you encounter ~50 hours in, then get in a big battle where you use lots of skills and pan the camera around a bit. I had slowdown using all the recommended Xenoblade builds I tried there, except Filthy's. And that's using HLE on a 4.5 GHz 2500k (never even tried LLE), and no AA.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It was patched , the drops were from 30 fps down to almost 20 sometimes. None of the other builds could handle big battles with multiple enemies while using tons of skills at the same time.

No slowdown at all, even when measuring with FRAPS? Try my test case: Teleport to that huge fortress thingie with Mechons and a lot of walkways that you encounter ~50 hours in, then get in a big battle where you use lots of skills and pan the camera around a bit. I had slowdown using all the recommended Xenoblade builds I tried there, except Filthy's. And that's using HLE on a 4.5 GHz 2500k (never even tried LLE), and no AA.

I don't know if I have a save where I can get to that. Can still access any previous areas (as well as some of the ones after that), are there any others where you notice problems like that?

But I don't recall having any framerate problems in that area, but maybe I wasn't using enough flash arts seeing as I tend to use physical characters.

So I got myself a new high res monitor...

Wind Waker at 2560X1440 with 4X AA is out of this world. You just do not expect an almost 10 year old game to make your jaw drop.

Yeah, I was using my iMac for dolphin until I sold it the other day (so I could build a monster PC) and WW at 2560 x 1440 has to be experienced to be believed, it's gorgeous. I think I might have to grab one of those Korean panels, I don't think I could go back to 1080p. ;)

So has anyone got an Ivy B CPU and run dolphin? What sort of OC would I need to run anything without framedrops, cause my 3.4ghz Sandy B could run most things but SMG2 would struggle.

Utako

Banned
Can't wait to see some HD Mario on Wii U!!
Mario U will probably run at 720p with 2xAA. Mario Galaxy on Dolphin can run at 2560x1440 with 16xAA.

I'm not expecting Dolphin levels of image quality from Wii U. It will have better lighting, textures and polygons, with more grainy and jagged images.

Ghost23

So I'm trying to play wind waker, and it looks fine graphically inside the houses on the first island, but everywhere outside is super blurry. My computer isn't the greatest, but since it runs fine inside the houses I figure it's a fixable issue. Any suggestions?

So in like 2 or 3 years will I be able to run this on a normal none gaming PC (the PCs you buy premade in best buy for like 700-800 bucks)?

Ceebs

Yeah, I was using my iMac for dolphin until I sold it the other day (so I could build a monster PC) and WW at 2560 x 1440 has to be experienced to be believed, it's gorgeous. I think I might have to grab one of those Korean panels, I don't think I could go back to 1080p. ;)

So has anyone got an Ivy B CPU and run dolphin? What sort of OC would I need to run anything without framedrops, cause my 3.4ghz Sandy B could run most things but SMG2 would struggle.

I was playing Wind Waker with a 3570k @ 4.2 GHZ. It's all I have tried on this new rig so far though. I might rip a few games and give them a spin soon.

Wind Waker question:

Can anyone erase images (using the right analog trigger) from the Pictobox using the emulator? If so, could you post the build you are using? Taking the pictures isn't an issue once I set EFB copies to RAM and disabled cache, but I can't delete them and without being able to do so you can't get treasure charts, which means you can't 100% the game (ignoring the Nintendo Gallery, which you can't do because you can't use the tuner).

About to just restart my game on the GC but the visuals are soooo nice on the PC.

catabarez

Wind Waker question:

Can anyone erase images (using the right analog trigger) from the Pictobox using the emulator? If so, could you post the build you are using? Taking the pictures isn't an issue once I set EFB copies to RAM and disabled cache, but I can't delete them and without being able to do so you can't get treasure charts, which means you can't 100% the game (ignoring the Nintendo Gallery, which you can't do because you can't use the tuner).

About to just restart my game on the GC but the visuals are soooo nice on the PC.

I'll test the pictobox thing when I get home. Also I'm pretty sure you can use the tingle tuner with a GBA emulator.

Ledsen

So in like 2 or 3 years will I be able to run this on a normal none gaming PC (the PCs you buy premade in best buy for like 700-800 bucks)?

$7-800 will buy you a pretty beastly rig. If you buy parts for 7-800 and either build it yourself, ask a friend to do it or pay someone to do it you'll be able to run all (well-emulated) games at full speed.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
$7-800 will buy you a pretty beastly rig. If you buy parts for 7-800 and either build it yourself, ask a friend to do it or pay someone to do it you'll be able to run all (well-emulated) games at full speed.
Out of curiosity, what specifically would you be buying for only $7-$800? What processor, graphics card, mobo, etc?

Ceebs

As a followup I ripped Xenoblade and gave it a spin. Runs flawlessly using the build posted on the last page (100ppg).

Playing at 2560X1440 native with 4XAA Using a 3570K @ 4.2ghz and a overclocked GTX 670.

It looks great, but some of the textures and menus look pretty bad blown up this big.

Pat

I try to run Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Dolphin, it loads but get stuck on the "wrist wrap warning" screen... Even if I press A, + or even the Home button, nothing happens.

Anyone knows why? The other topic on DKC makes me want to play this game badly. :(

Dylan

getting slowdowns here... is processor upgrade/oc the only way to get a stable 60fps? I've enabled lock threads, idle skipping etc
My cpu is Core 2 E8400@3ghz (everything stock), 8800gt

Anyway, it's time to dig in my GC library again!:D

I have the same build as you.

jediyoshi

I try to run Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Dolphin, it loads but get stuck on the "wrist wrap warning" screen... Even if I press A, + or even the Home button, nothing happens.

Anyone knows why? The other topic on DKC makes me want to play this game badly. :(

Are you sure your controller is configured correctly? What build of Dolphin are you running?

Lime

Anyone know where I can disable the Wii Speaker function so that Dolphin outputs the intended audio files to the regular speakers rather than to the Wiimote?

Pat

Are you sure your controller is configured correctly? What build of Dolphin are you running?

Dolphin 3.0-701-dirty

And yes, since it recognize when I press a button (controller or keyboard) in the wiimote configuration.

EDIT: Well I tried another build and it works. :D

Utako

Banned
It's the oddest thing. In Wind Waker…

I don't know how to disable DOF normally, but it goes away automatically (and shadows stop being striped) when I open the Graphics settings window while in-game.

It's awesome, but what the hell?

ChuyMasta

This thread has too many pages for me to look up FFCC screenshots.

How well does that game run on Dolphin? It was a looker back in the GC days and I am sure it was one of the few Widescreen games.

Any pictures of it in HD glory?

Dmax3901

As a followup I ripped Xenoblade and gave it a spin. Runs flawlessly using the build posted on the last page (100ppg).

Playing at 2560X1440 native with 4XAA Using a 3570K @ 4.2ghz and a overclocked GTX 670.

It looks great, but some of the textures and menus look pretty bad blown up this big.

You should grab the Xenoblade HUD texture pack, makes the UI look great. Don't have a link, but it was a thread on the Dolphin Wiki Xenoblade Forum.

Ceebs

You should grab the Xenoblade HUD texture pack, makes the UI look great. Don't have a link, but it was a thread on the Dolphin Wiki Xenoblade Forum.

I saw that, but I did not see a version for the US version of the game. Only the PAL.

Sidenote of performance with Xenoblade: tried out some fraps video capture of the game and not a single hiccup in my framerate. I would throw up some video, but 90 seconds of gameplay ended up being 8 gigs. maybe I will try downscaling the video to 1080p sometime.

Ledsen

I saw that, but I did not see a version for the US version of the game. Only the PAL.

Sidenote of performance with Xenoblade: tried out some fraps video capture of the game and not a single hiccup in my framerate. I would throw up some video, but 90 seconds of gameplay ended up being 8 gigs. maybe I will try downscaling the video to 1080p sometime.

They're the same game, no reason it shouldn't work with the US version as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They're the same game, no reason it shouldn't work with the US version as well.

Correct, you just need to rename all the files to match whatever your ISO is (i.e. from SX4P01 to SX4E01) and drop them in the appropriate directory. Should be a snap to do so with a quick rename in the command prompt so you can wildcard it.

Risgroo

So, I just ordered a new laptop, which should be powerful enough to run Dolphin. I've installed the homebrew channel and the usb loader, but I can't find any instructions on how to rip games from my Wii. I checked the link in the OP, didn't see anything about ripping there, could someone give me a link showing how to do it?

Ledsen

So, I just ordered a new laptop, which should be powerful enough to run Dolphin. I've installed the homebrew channel and the usb loader, but I can't find any instructions on how to rip games from my Wii. I checked the link in the OP, didn't see anything about ripping there, could someone give me a link showing how to do it?

Did you click the huge banner in that thread to go to the GAF homebrew tutorial?

edit: I should clarify, in the homebrew tutorial it tells you how to rip games to any HDD. Those games will play both on an actual Wii and in Dolphin.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Are there any good builds to run The Last Story? When the PAL version came out there were numerous problems (low frame rate, texture problems, crashes). Have those issues been sorted out by now?

Risgroo

Did you click the huge banner in that thread to go to the GAF homebrew tutorial?

edit: I should clarify, in the homebrew tutorial it tells you how to rip games to any HDD. Those games will play both on an actual Wii and in Dolphin.

NVM lol, I just had to format my drive, got confused when I got to the loader, should work now :).

masterkajo

I was about to OC my PC to be finally able to run Zelda SS with a solid 30FPS and then I find out that my Motherboard is a H67 instead of a P67... and the H67 does not support OC even though I have a i5-2500k. :(

Ledsen

I was about to OC my PC to be finally able to run Zelda SS with a solid 30FPS and then I find out that my Motherboard is a H67 instead of a P67... and the H67 does not support OC even though I have a i5-2500k. :(

oh man..... any way to return it? That's a good example of why you should research before buying parts. Z68 is a the newest type for SB, but you could also use any IB motherboard.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You can re-encode with Megui or Staxrip and get much smaller files with negligible quality loss. I've been trying out the recording feature in MSI Afterburner (which is free), it gives you a quality slider and even with very high quality videos, they're far smaller than those you get with FRAPs without any extra encoding.

My near-12 minute fight with Xenoblade's superboss was around 4GB at 1080p, versus FRAPs files that were that size or bigger at around 4 minutes and half the frame size. Don't really notice any quality difference.

(I still don't have any way to upload that, with my slowass connection).

masterkajo

oh man..... any way to return it? That's a good example of why you should research before buying parts. Z68 is a the newest type for SB, but you could also use any IB motherboard.

Problem is I bought the Mainboard and processor before I knew about dolphin. It was about a year ago. I had no idea about the difference between a P67 and a H67. Then I was so happy to learn that I got the right CPU to OC :p

Anyway, I found on the Asus website that the newest BIOS update allows for some OC and tuning but very limited. I will try that and see how it works.

I can't return though as it has been over a year and the shop (I contacted them today) said there couldn't take it back. Anyway, if it doesn't work I might try a new Mainboard and consider this a lesson for the future :)

Nothing shall stand in my way and Zelda SS in HD!

Seik

Banned
With the DBZ budokai HD collection announced, I tried my Budokai 1 on GC via Dolphin, looks glorious and runs perfectly. Anybody tried B2? I don't have a copy yet.

EDIT: Its still so damn fun doing the whole story mode again in HD! :D

bulmauijdn.png

ss1nk3d.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
With the DBZ budokai HD collection announced, I tried my Budokai 1 on GC via Dolphin, looks glorious and runs perfectly. Anybody tried B2? I don't have a copy yet.

bulmauijdn.png

ss1nk3d.png
Damn, those screens is nice.

beanman25

I'm looking for a cheap sensor bar and bluetooth adapter so I can play more Wii games then just classic controller ones. Which ones are the best for the cheapest?

Ceebs

Still playing Xenoblade and I just can't imagine playing this game on an actual Wii. Despite the textures being "blagh my eyes" in spots, the game can look quite fantastic cleaned up. The texture pack works great and they were kind enough to give me PS3 button icons as well.

sx4e01-14pqa9x.png

(resized from 2560X1440)

bhlaab

I'm looking for a cheap sensor bar and bluetooth adapter so I can play more Wii games then just classic controller ones. Which ones are the best for the cheapest?

The Nyko bar is probably the best, but it's harder to find. Any one will do, though, since it's just two IR hotspots on a chunk of plastic-- technically two candles on top of your monitor would work. It's more about battery consumption.

Bluetooth adapters, any one will do. You can get them for like $1 off of Amazon.

If you're trying to use one of those new wiimotes with the motion plus built into it, though, you're going to need to install the toshiba bluetooth stack (google it) for it to work. And it can be a pain to get it to work. And the toshiba stack has a 30 day period before it expires.

Right now Mario Galaxy is kind of bumming me out. Either the music cuts off or you get horrible skipping every time the framerate dips down to 59 or below which is impossible to avoid.

Ceebs

Go get yourself a standard Wii sensor bar (one of the recent ones is best as it has less LEDs and saves a step in this process) and a generic USB cable.

Cut the cord on the sensor bar and expose the two wires. Do the same with the end of the USB cable you are not plugging into a computer.

Go get you some of these, I forget the exact size though:

12694d1235502403-comprehensive-guide-splicing-speaker-wire-butt-connectors.jpg

Connect red to red and yellow from the sensor bar and grey from the USB. Crimp the butt connectors together and throw some electrical tape over it to cover it all up. Plug into a USB port and you have a powered sensor bar.

Total cost: maybe 7 bucks total? The bars are on ebay for like 5, plus 2 bucks at Home depot for the connectors, and you probably have 30 USB cables sitting around already.

Plus the satisfaction of knowing you made your own USB Sensor bar.

Top Bottom