• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers who did not finish White Knight Chronicles cannot play the sequel - wut?

duckroll

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/05/white_knight_2_original_clear_file/

Summary: WKC2 includes a complete enhanced "remake" of the original game with new gameplay and engine improvements from the sequel. Only gamers who have a clear save of the original game can actually play the sequel part of the game. Everyone else must suffer play and complete the original game included before moving on to the sequel.

What. The. Fuck.

Maybe someone else can make sense of this for me, but it seems like a really, really terrible decision to make. Obviously some players will want to get through the original before playing the sequel if they did not play it before, for story reasons. But what about players who are interested in playing the sequel but don't want to play the original? Or players who completed the original but cleared out their saves and sold the game? Or players who didn't finish the original, but want to see where the story will go in the sequel? So... so... strange.

MoxManiac

Haha that's pretty fucked up. Although if I ever get WKC2 I'll want to play through the original portion anyways, since i skipped the first.

duckroll

This would be akin to bundling Mass Effect with Mass Effect 2, and requiring a clear save from Mass Effect to play Mass Effect 2 imo. At least, that's what I'm understanding from the article. I really WANT to be wrong, because it sounds REALLY dumb.

garath

I guess they are trying to establish it as "one big game" and not a trilogy of games. The downside is exactly what duckroll said about people who played through it, deleted their saves and have no desire to play through that portion of the game again.

Ugh. Poor choice.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It seems like they really want people to play the original game, even if you've already completed it. Maybe they actually made the game fun this time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
This would be akin to bundling Mass Effect with Mass Effect 2, and requiring a clear save from Mass Effect to play Mass Effect 2 imo. At least, that's what I'm understanding from the article. I really WANT to be wrong, because it sounds REALLY dumb.

yeah except that mass effect is a good (great!) game whereas wkc is not so even then it's not as ridiculous as this

:lol :lol

Wow

God damn the first one was garbage. Interesting environments but the rest of the game was garbage. Now they'll be forced to play through it.

You make a character in WKC who ends up being the most irrelevant character in JRPG history. Gau and Quina would laugh about that shit.

So basically I shouldn't bother buying the first game at all since the sequel will include it anyway?

Not that it matters. I know better than to play Level 5 games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's silly, and basically says 'Oh hey, the game should have all been one whole thing from the start, but we ran out of time."

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
yeah except that mass effect is a good (great!) game whereas wkc is not so even then it's not as ridiculous as this

I'm not factoring quality into that comparison. I'm just pointing out that it is a similar single player only character creation driven RPG with a sequel that imports a clear save and carries over MANY things from the original game. They didn't force anyone to replay the game or require a clear save to play the sequel. Instead they made very attractive incentives to have a clear save over starting a new game.

The lack of a choice for the player is what is most puzzling here. It's a really... awful decision.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rahxephon91 said:
ME2 is a good game. ME1 is pretty terrible.

yeah i agree ff7 sucks!

joecool.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
All this is telling me is to not purchase WKC and wait for the sequel. It's kinda bullshit you can't skip the first game though, I'd imagine a lot of people who have already played through it and don't have their save anymore would be extremely annoyed.

duckroll said:
I'm not factoring quality into that comparison. I'm just pointing out that it is a similar single player only character creation driven RPG with a sequel that imports a clear save and carries over MANY things from the original game. They didn't force anyone to replay the game or require a clear save to play the sequel. Instead they made very attractive incentives to have a clear save over starting a new game.

The lack of a choice for the player is what is most puzzling here. It's a really... awful decision.

Maybe L5 knew WKC1 was just half of the intended WKC game so by forcing people to play through WKC1 before playing 2 they can have people experience the game the way they intended before, allegedly, splitting the game in half.

duckroll said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/05/white_knight_2_original_clear_file/

Summary: WKC2 includes a complete enhanced "remake" of the original game with new gameplay and engine improvements from the sequel. Only gamers who have a clear save of the original game can actually play the sequel part of the game. Everyone else must suffer play and complete the original game included before moving on to the sequel.

What. The. Fuck.

Maybe someone else can make sense of this for me, but it seems like a really, really terrible decision to make. Obviously some players will want to get through the original before playing the sequel if they did not play it before, for story reasons. But what about players who are interested in playing the sequel but don't want to play the original? Or players who completed the original but cleared out their saves and sold the game? Or players who didn't finish the original, but want to see where the story will go in the sequel? So... so... strange.

I just read the article and maybe I'm being dense here... but... aren't they basically giving us "two" games for the price of one and somehow you guys are complaining?

This is the way I see it, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

A1. You've already played and beat the first game.
A2. You start in the "middle" of the new disc (beginning of the second game, halfway through the adventure). Nothing to see here.

B1. You have not completed (or played) the first game.
B2. They're giving you the full first game, enhanced, included with the second game so that you can (ok, ok, WILL HAVE TO) play through it all before you start game two.

I kind of see where the rage is coming from, but if you've completed your playthrough of the first game, I don't really see the issue. Again, it seems to me like they're giving people two games for the price of one.

[edit]On second thought I see how it might bother someone who played through a percentage of the first game and found it tedious enough to not complete it. Maybe they could have done something like what konami/kojipro did for ZOE2 in regards to ZOE1 (including all the cutscenes for the first game in the second game).

Kagari said:
It's silly, and basically says 'Oh hey, the game should have all been one whole thing from the start, but we ran out of time."
Pretty much this, though I'm not sure if this method is preferable to just releasing DLC for what should have been an otherwise complete game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ExtraKr1spy said:
You make a character in WKC who ends up being the most irrelevant character in JRPG history. Gau and Quina would laugh about that shit.

Seriously, who the hell came up with that idea? Or the idea to allow beards on a character that otherwise looked 12 years old?

Carlisle

I never play sequels before finishing the first game (except in non-continual series like FF and DQ, etc...) so this doesn't really bother me. I actually think it's kinda cool, the story picks up where the first one left off in just about every way.

Vinci

Danish
FunkyPajamas said:
I kind of see where the rage is coming from, but if you've completed your playthrough of the first game, I don't really see the issue. Again, it seems to me like they're giving people two games for the price of one.

The part where they're forcing a user to do anything is pretty questionable.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
So not just a re-cap of the story, but the whole game, right? Sound pretty stupid to me. However, since I haven't played the original, this would work out for me personally.

The two versions of the game will not be compatible during online play. Players of different versions will not be able to enter the same lobbies.

Sounds like they want to ditch the original altogether. :lol

JudgeN

This make sense (at least to me). If you never played WKC 1 for whatever reason but bought WKC2 wouldn't want to start from the beginning of the story like a normal RPG. I personally don't know to many people that delete there old saves games after they trade in a game.

I didn't finish the first game, but by the time this comes out I'm going to want to play it from the beginning including anything I've already seen. Especially since they say the original game will be improved visually and with new gameplay.

Stumpokapow said:
yeah i agree ff7 sucks!
It does.

Hopefully a US release doesn't force this. And it sucks even worse now since I don't think you can import PS3 saves from the internet. But who really deletes there PS3 saves? They don't take up any space.
This make sense (at least to me). If you never played WKC 1 for whatever reason but bought WKC2 wouldn't want to start from the beginning of the story like a normal RPG.
Not if one of the reasons you didn't beat WK1 is because the battle system or something else was terrible and you couldn't continue. The sequel comes along and fixes that aspect you disliked and thus you may give the 2nd game a chance. Something like this would only hurt people with that mindset.

I'm sorry I really don't see the problem, you either want to follow the story or not.

Brave move though, good for them.
Not everyone wants to play jrpg for stories and WNK1's story isn't something you have to experience. A simple wiki visit could easily bring you up to speed.

Its not a brave move at all. Its a self indulgent god awful move.

Gravijah

Carlisle said:
I never play sequels before finishing the first game (except in non-continual series like FF and DQ, etc...) so this doesn't really bother me. I actually think it's kinda cool, the story picks up where the first one left off in just about every way.

The thing about sequels in video games is that you should design them so that it's still possible to pick them up and play them without having played the other games in the series.

bon

How long is WKC? If it's a pretty short game then I could sort of kind of see how this might work out (not really).

Forkball

This is great for people who want to play White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 for the price of one game. Too bad it sucks for the other 99% of the population.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
FunkyPajamas said:
I just read the article and maybe I'm being dense here... but... aren't they basically giving us "two" games for the price of one and somehow you guys are complaining?

This is the way I see it, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

A1. You've already played and beat the first game.
A2. You start in the "middle" of the new disc (beginning of the second game, halfway through the adventure). Nothing to see here.

B1. You have not completed (or played) the first game.
B2. They're giving you the full first game, enhanced, included with the second game so that you can (ok, ok, WILL HAVE TO) play through it all before you start game two.

You are no longer allowed to watch the Godfather II without passing a test about the first one. You can't read the Lord of the Rings books until you can sing every song from the Hobbit.

Vinci

Danish
Sword Familiar said:
So not just a re-cap of the story, but the whole game, right? Sound pretty stupid to me. However, since I haven't played the original, this would work out for me personally.

Just make sure you play the entire first game.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
honestly i wish movies could do this. i hate going to the theaters to a sequel with someone who hasnt seen the first/previous one. :lol

onken

I'm sorry I really don't see the problem, you either want to follow the story or not.

Brave move though, good for them.

Top Bottom