• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSP]Valkyria Chronicles 3 - 1/27/2011 (JP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
6279 yen or 5600 yen for the download version.

Similar to the first two games, it will have an original story with a new cast of central characters.
The focus of the story will be on a group called the "Nameless."
The game will take place in the same time period as the original Valkyria, but will have a new story.

NO PORT/PLATFORM BEGGING OR BAN.

Volcynika

How much of a difference in price is that compared to our currency (of retail vs download)? Download versions here still end up being the same as retail :S

(Also really excited about the game, even though very unsure if it'll get the localization treatment next year)

Yay for no academy tween shit.

Quote from Varion in the other thread
- Set in the same period as Valkyria 1.
- Key characters all new.
- Focuses around a group called the Nameless which are... ergh. Closest English word seems to be a penal battalion, the Japanese definition according to Wikipedia is "Special group in the army composed of deserters and other military offenders. In the broader sense it doesn't have to be military offenders, and can be composed of general criminals as well. These units are often given dangerous or unpleasant missions such as the burying of corpses or the removal of land mines."

Number 01 - Imuka. One of the heroines (the one on the right). Darcsen. Something about her village being destroyed by the Valkyria.
VA: Asano Masumi

Number 07 - Kurt Irving. Used to be a genius military officer, but through certain circumstances became part of the Nameless. The guy in the middle.
VA: Nakamura Yuuichi

Numvber 13 - Riera Malseris. Valkyria, but she isn't aware of it, and after being the only survivor (of numerous battles I guess), she became known as a Reaper and ended up in the Nameless. The obvious girl on the left.
VA: Endou Aya

Kagari said:
The game will take place in the same time period as the original Valkyria, but will have a new story.

Just to clarify - By same time period, does that mean this game's events will be happening concurrently with those of VC1? Or just within a few years or so?

duckroll

Please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system.

Volcynika

duckroll said:
Please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system please no credits system.

So you're saying you want a credits system?

Giolon

Let me say something positive about this development: I like the character designs and style better than VC2.

Now, back to the negative: I still miss the style of VC1, and I'd still prefer to enjoy it in surround sound and HD on my couch. (I didn't mention any platform!) I guess sitting on my couch whil wearing headphones and squinting will have to do - assuming I buy it in the first place.

Fool me once, SEGA...

ezekial45

Banned
I can't wait to see more. It seems like it's going to be the anti-VC2 (story, character, settings wise). I like the new art style too. I hate the character designs in the second game (bordering on loli).

I like it already. Also, since it's gonna be during the first game, that means there wont be any V2's! :D

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a credit system, but as long as it's revamped. Maybe make it all pooled to the particular class in general and not character based. Or you can just take out the credits and make it purely based on EXP.

Aeana

Giolon said:
Let me say something positive about this development: I like the character designs and style better than VC2.

Now, back to the negative: I still miss the style of VC1, and I'd still prefer to enjoy it in surround sound and HD on my couch. (I didn't mention any platform!) I guess sitting on my couch whil wearing headphones and squinting will have to do - assuming I buy it in the first place.

Fool me once, SEGA...
You probably won't have to worry about it, anyway, unless you don't mind playing in Japanese.

I just hope this makes it over here.

One thing I didn't like about VC2 was some of the character designs. Judging by the VC3 ad that was posted, the character designs and art looks better and more darker/mature than VC2.

Which is why I want to play it. But there's no point to import since I can't read Japanese! So hope it comes here.

I haven't gotten to play 2 yet but this looks awesome!

I'm kinda lost though, are Valkyria now like a common thing? In the first game it was a super rare coveted thing.

Dang, I wonder if they split the Valkyria Chronicles team and had one work on Valkyria Chronicles II and the other work on this one. Then again, the Yakuza games are on a yearly schedule and are still released on PS3.

Giolon

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I'm kinda lost though, are Valkyria now like a common thing?

Yes :-/ Kinda takes the mystique out of it, doesn't it?

Varion

Okay found the profiles typed up in full so:

Protagonist - Number 07 Kurt Irving (VA: Nakamura Yuuichi)
Held a bright future as a highly skilled commander, but through a certain incident became one of the Nameless. Rational and unpredjudiced so good with others. Hopes to amass enough achievements in battle to return to his former squad.

Heroine #1 - Number 01 Imuka (Asano Masumi)
Squad Ace and number 1. The village in which she used to live was wiped out. Was invited into the Nameless during her wanderings to seek revenge. The giant weapon she uses and created herself lets her survive battles alone and seek revenge. Darcsen.

Heroine #2 - Number 13 Riera Malseris
Has incredible abilities and is a descendent of the Valkyria, but both those around her and she herself don't realise this. Even when the squads she was attached to are wiped out one after another, thanks to her abilities as a Valkyria she alone survives, and as such is hated by those around her as a 'Reaper', and so was sent to join the Nameless.

Main staff:
Producer: Shinji Motoyama
Director: Take Ozawa
Series Producer: Shuntarou Tanaka
Original Character Designs: Raita Honjou
Music: Hitoshi Sakimoto

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
BlazingDarkness said:
- Focuses around a group called the Nameless which are... ergh. Closest English word seems to be a penal battalion, the Japanese definition according to Wikipedia is "Special group in the army composed of deserters and other military offenders. In the broader sense it doesn't have to be military offenders, and can be composed of general criminals as well. These units are often given dangerous or unpleasant missions such as the burying of corpses or the removal of land mines."

Any idea which army? Please don't say this takes place in Gallia AGAIN... x_x

Varion said:
Heroine #2 - Number 13 Riera Malseris
Has incredible abilities and is a descendent of the Valkyria, but both those around her and she herself don't realise this. Even when the squads she was attached to are wiped out one after another, thanks to her abilities as a Valkyria she alone survives, and as such is hated by those around her as a 'Reaper', and so was sent to join the Nameless.

lol wow some of this stuff is giving me a Gundam 08th MS Team vibe.

duckroll

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I'm kinda lost though, are Valkyria now like a common thing? In the first game it was a super rare coveted thing.

They're not common, but why would you have a story in a series called Valkyria and not have a Valkyria character? There's generally one or two in each game, so I don't see how that is "common". VC2 seems to suggest that it is not completely super super rare, just very uncommon.

Omiee

I cant say im disapointed that its on the psp but anyway on the other hand i think im gonna have a lot of fun playing this on the road and stuff.
Still have to pick up 2 though for my psp

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
They're not common, but why would you have a story in a series called Valkyria and not have a Valkyria character? There's generally one or two in each game, so I don't see how that is "common". VC2 seems to suggest that it is not completely super super rare, just very uncommon.

Alicia showing up and turning the tide of the war was shown to be some kind of miracle though.

Okay, good. No military academy setting. Artwork in the images I saw looks better than VC 2. And I know there's no system whining, but guess what? Soon as PS3 Jailbreak is widespread with PSP Emu support, I can play this sucker with a PS3 controller and hopefully with better image quality than what connecting your PSP to your HDTV delivers via the component cable accessory. But the zoned off maps and character caps needs to go, too.

I'm just pleased with a change from the academy nonsense, that shit is so worn out
VC2 has a great gameplay and production values, just questionable everything else

Pureauthor said:
I... don't see why. Both of these are decent additions, in my view.

The caps were only in place due to tech limitations, as were the sectioned off maps. I hated having to waste a turn after capturing a base to ZONE to the next area when my AP meter was near full...cuz then your AP decreases a bit when you move again with that next turn. If you reach a BASE CAMP, let me move IN-TURN to the next area without penalty. I'd settle for that.

Aeana

Giolon said:
You think it's not going to be localized?
The PSP is dead in the west now. By the time 3 is out in Japan, and by the time an English version could be produced, it would be even deader. Even Square Enix is going to have a difficult enough time selling 3rd Birthday and Agito to western gamers at that point.

It could still happen, but I would be very surprised if it did. I would think VC2 would have to surprise everybody sales-wise for that to happen.

ezekial45

Banned
DR2K said:
I really hope they find a way to make battles larger aka VC1.

Oh god yes. I would love to have big battles with massive tanks again.

Also, increase the max units to 8. 6 units is so low and i end up spending to much time figuring out which units to bring in.

Giolon

duckroll said:

Except they were relegated to mythical status by the time of VC1 - and even in VC2 people don't know what really happened with them. So now here we are, and suddenly we're up to a grand total of at least FOUR Valkyria? In a less than 2 year time span?

It also makes
Alicla
and Selvaria less special - it even diminshes the plans of Maximillian and the Rebels in VC2 with
making their own artificial Valkyria
. Why go through the trouble and money when you can just find any random girl down the street and she's probably a Valkyria?

duckroll said:
No no, I would think it should be the standard to have one or two in each entry.

I just got a vibe from that scanned page in the other thread that the Valkyria girl is simply accepted as part of the team, powers and all. The first game almost revolved around the legend, everyone freaked out over Selvaria and when
Alicia awakened
your entire squad was like awestruck.

jump_button said:
what happen to if you want it back on PS3 buy VC2? when they already planing it for psp befor it out the shops? bullshit sega
Ruby, who almost certainly isn't privy to what SEGA of Japan is working on, didn't promise that. He said that the best thing fans of the series could do was to support it and hope for its return to home consoles in the future. He's not wrong. If the series continues to exist, there is hope for a home console installment. If the series ceases to exist, there is no hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom