• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSP]Valkyria Chronicles 3 - 1/27/2011 (JP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I can only pray that Sega won't bail on us for PSP2 Infinity, VC3, etc.
Would be nice to see more gameplay improvements in line with what we got with VC2, married to the more serious tone of VC1.

ezekial45

Banned
Aeana said:
The PSP is dead in the west now. By the time 3 is out in Japan, and by the time an English version could be produced, it would be even deader. Even Square Enix is going to have a difficult enough time selling 3rd Birthday and Agito to western gamers at that point.

It could still happen, but I would be very surprised if it did. I would think VC2 would have to surprise everybody sales-wise for that to happen.

I just assumed that Sega is taking the Atlus approach by shipping smaller copies of the game to minimize losses, and if it does well enough they'll end up shipping more.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
firehawk12 said:
Alicia showing up and turning the tide of the war was shown to be some kind of miracle though.

Valkyria aren't all that uncommon; rather the self-discovery that one is a Valkyria is uncommon, because they have to be near death and possess Valkyur equipment to awaken to their powers.

SlickVic

I don't mind more VC on PSP, I just hope there's one more entry for the PS3. The CANVAS engine on PS3 was too damn gorgeous to not be used for more games. I will keep hoping for another VC on PS3 but in the meantime, I look forward to playing VC2 and 3 on my PSP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RurouniZel said:
Valkyria aren't all that uncommon; rather the self-discovery that one is a Valkyria is uncommon, because they have to be near death and possess Valkyur equipment to awaken to their powers.

That's kind of splitting hairs, because the end result is that armies would go around shooting their own troops just to find the one god unit who can win the war for them.

I dunno, I'm not all that far into VC2 so maybe there's some decent reason why Alicia and Selvaria were the only ones around during the first war. But to have them again during the VC1 timeframe just cheapens an already overwrought anime storyline.

duckroll

Some promising details from the article:

- They will be keeping gameplay systems which worked well in previous games, and ditching those which do not fit the theme of VC3.

- The stage areas will be larger, but they will also be "different" in terms of shape and design in some ways. It will be "interesting" apparently.

- There will be a return to fighting massive machines similar to those in the first game, like the Batomys.

Aeana said:
The PSP is dead in the west now. By the time 3 is out in Japan, and by the time an English version could be produced, it would be even deader. Even Square Enix is going to have a difficult enough time selling 3rd Birthday and Agito to western gamers at that point.

It could still happen, but I would be very surprised if it did. I would think VC2 would have to surprise everybody sales-wise for that to happen.

I have a batshit insane reason this could happen but i highly doubt it :(

duckroll said:

- They will be keeping gameplay systems which worked well in previous games, and ditching those which do not fit the theme of VC3.

- The stage areas will be larger, but they will also be "different" in terms of shape and design in some ways. It will be "interesting" apparently.

- There will be a return to fighting massive machines similar to those in the first game, like the Batomys.

Sounds cool.

randomkid

Hmm, normally I'd agree that localization prospects are kinda slim, but maybe things will end up similar to the Yakuza situation. Everyone expected that Yakuza 3 would tank and that the sequel would have no chance of coming over. But then the game seemingly met Sega's modest expectations and the sequel was announced for America. So who knows, maybe Sega will give Valkyria 3 a chance if Valkyria 2 doesn't tank too badly. Aeana's right that the PSP's situation is not the same as the PS3's, but stranger things have happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:

- More certificate grinding?

ezekial45

Banned
duckroll said:

SWEEEEEEET!:D :D

Promising indeed.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
firehawk12 said:
That's kind of splitting hairs, because the end result is that armies would go around shooting their own troops just to find the one god unit who can win the war for them.

I dunno, I'm not all that far into VC2 so maybe there's some decent reason why Alicia and Selvaria were the only ones around during the first war. But to have them again during the VC1 timeframe just cheapens an already overwrought anime storyline.

Which is why Faldio was reprimanded for doing just that; putting Alicia in a near-death situation just to awaken her powers. And he wouldn't have done that without some damn good circumstantial evidence that she was one beforehand (the interaction at the temple).

ezekial45

Banned
Going with that, it seems like the credit system won't make too much sense with military outcasts. It makes sense for the academy setting, but i don't it for the new game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
firehawk12 said:
- More certificate grinding?

Well, certificates fit the school setting, but no so much whatever VC3 seems to be.

So far, everything about VC3 is sounding promising. Plus giant gunblade thingie in the ad looks cool.

Giolon

randomkid said:
Hmm, normally I'd agree that localization prospects are kinda slim, but maybe things will end up similar to the Yakuza situation. Everyone expected that Yakuza 3 would tank and that the sequel would have no chance of coming over. But then the game seemingly met Sega's modest expectations and the sequel was announced for America. So who knows, maybe Sega will give Valkyria 3 a chance if Valkyria 2 doesn't tank too badly. Aeana's right that the PSP's situation is not the same as the PS3's, but stranger things have happened.

RubyEclipse said in the Community BLiTZ blogs that their first week sales of VC2 were "good".

anddo0

duckroll said:

Dude!:D

I'm dying with anticipation for the gameplay trailer.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
ezekial45 said:
I just assumed that Sega is taking the Atlus approach by shipping smaller copies of the game to minimize losses, and if it does well enough they'll end up shipping more.

If they are going that route they need to start getting on the special/limited edition releases. Would've loved to have the PS:p2 ost and mini-poster or w/e. Would've worked well for VCII to, cloth map + ost = simple yet effective win.

Varion

Just finished reading through the interview:

- The game does not adopt a mission system like the second game - instead as you read through the story battles occur.
- Story will be definitely darker than the second game - but not all darkness and tragedy, they'll be the same sense of comradeship as in other Valkyria games.
- The command and action modes have been renewed, and the number of things you can do has been increased. There'll be a demo at TGS that lets you try out Riera's Valkyria mode and the unleashing of Imuka's weapon abilities - the heroines' 'super modes', but there will be other new elements too.
- The area system from the second game will be kept, but they'll be wider.
- You'll be able to fight giant tanks like the Batomys from the first game on several occasions with different attack strategies. There'll be a number of other unique situations to get you excited too.
- Changing the class system so individual characters are more, er, individual. As far as the classes go, they're aiming for quality not quantity, so some will be unified, and they want to further strengthen the role of each class.
- Because they want to aim for more enjoyment of the story, the 'ingredient collection' elements have been reduced. There is also no multiplayer.

[Edit for clarification on the multiplayer]

Giolon

Varion said:
- Because they want to aim for more enjoyment of the story, the 'ingredient collection' elements have been reduced. There is also no ad-hoc wireless mode.

Well that's a plus I guess.

Varion said:
- Because they want to aim for more enjoyment of the story, the 'ingredient collection' elements have been reduced. There is also no ad-hoc wireless mode.

On one hand, reduction is good. On the other hand, it hasn't been scrapped completely.

Varion

Infinite Justice said:
TGS demo also?

Hope we can get some vids
Yeah it'll be playable at TGS.

There's of course still going to be the presentation of the game on the first day over UStream, so there's bound to be gameplay in that.

duckroll

Okay, from what I'm reading, it does seem pretty... anti-VC2, which is a bit surprising.

- There will only be about 20 characters in the story squad this time, not including guest characters.

- There might be less classes than VC2, they're looking at "quality over quantity" in terms of design, and wanting each class to be more unique and useful.

- There will be a lot less collection and grinding content, and there will be no multiplayer at all (wow!).

- The focus will be on delivering a story experience, and the game won't just be mission based like in VC2. It doesn't seem like they're abandoning the optional mission based selection in VC2, but it sounds like they want it to be more like VC1 where you can follow the storyline and story missions will unfold.

- Another interesting point is that the Command Map will be getting a complete overhaul, while the Action phase will also have much more actions available. Various characters will also have super modes unique to their character, and the Valkyria character can activate her Valkyria powers as an actual attack mode.

- Character growth will be much more individual this time round (this is probably one of the few things they're taking from VC2), because they want the player to be able to bring up more unique properties of characters as they get stronger.

Edit: Shit, beaten. :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
Please be localized please be localized please be localized

Sega is happy with VC2 sales so far.

So hopefully they are happy with overall sales

duckroll said:
Okay, from what I'm reading, it does seem pretty... anti-VC2, which is a bit surprising.
- There will only be about 20 characters in the story squad this time, not including guest characters. -
There might be less classes than VC2, they're looking at "quality over quantity" in terms of design, and wanting each class to be more unique and useful.
- There will be a lot less collection and grinding content, and there will be no multiplayer at all (wow!).
- The focus will be on delivering a story experience, and the game won't just be mission based like in VC2. It doesn't seem like they're abandoning the optional mission based selection in VC2, but it sounds like they want it to be more like VC1 where you can follow the storyline and story missions will unfold.
- Another interesting point is that the Command Map will be getting a complete overhaul, while the Action phase will also have much more actions available. Various characters will also have super modes unique to their character, and the Valkyria character can activate her Valkyria powers as an actual attack mode.
- Character growth will be much more individual this time round (this is probably one of the few things they're taking from VC2), because they want the player to be able to bring up more unique properties of characters as they get stronger. Edit: Shit, beaten. :(

Fuck yeah, they listened to our complaints :D

ezekial45

Banned
I like what i'm hearing. I am a little disappointed that there only 20 or squad characters, but the fact they're gonna have more uniqueness, does sound intriguing.

I really can't wait now. :D

Hcoregamer00

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seems like they're dealing with a lot of the issues people had with VC2.

Yup, sounds excellent.

It really does look like a mix of the best of VC1 with the best of VC2 :D

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah it's definitely good news. Hopefully tomorrow we'll see how some of these stuff is implemented in practice.

Lain

This is sounding promising (although no multiplayer seems weird, not that I care about it, but well...), and I like the art I saw in that ad posted in the other thread.

I already stated before that if the game was good and got localized I'd buy it, so I'll join the group that is praying for this to get localized.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hcoregamer00 said:
They listened to Japanese people complaining... which actually makes me wonder if even Japanese dudes are fucking tired of grinding in their PSP games.

RurouniZel said:
Which is why Faldio was reprimanded for doing just that; putting Alicia in a near-death situation just to awaken her powers. And he wouldn't have done that without some damn good circumstantial evidence that she was one beforehand (the interaction at the temple).

I think those are separate issues though. But oh well, it's not like the mythology of VC was something that great anyway. :lol

anddo0

Segata Sanshiro said:

Indeed.

I'd like more animated cut-scenes and voice overs... Use the entire UMD!

20 characters in the story squad is fine by me. I usually end up rolling with one core group of guys anyway.

DJChuy

outunderthestars said:
I might actually buy a PSP for VC2. Does it look ok on the psp-3000 screen? I know some games really look rathe dreadful on it. :(

Yeah, it looks fine.

I'm loving what I'm hearing about VC3 especially the big battle part and wider areas. Though, it's kind of making me less excited about continuing VC2.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Varion said:
Does that mean they stripped out multi or that they're going for full on infrastructure mode?

NM, looks like Duckroll answered it. : /

Hcoregamer00

DJChuy said:
Yeah, it looks fine.

I'm loving what I'm hearing about VC3 especially the big battle part and wider areas. Though, it's kind of making me less excited about continuing VC2.

It is not like VC2 is a bad game, it is an excellent game with some minor flaws.

All of which seems to be addressed and perfected in VC3 :lol

duckroll

ezekial45 said:
How was the multiplayer anyway? I never tried it.

Co-Op is actually pretty fun. I've played with friends over Adhoc Party, and it's a nice distraction. It's totally unbalanced though, intentionally.

Hcoregamer00

anddo0 said:
Indeed.

I'd like more animated cut-scenes and voice overs... Use the entire UMD!

20 characters in the story squad is fine by me. I usually end up rolling with one core group of guys anyway.

The game uses 1.073 gigs of space, so adding 700 megs worth of stuff really wont be too much of a burden. I rather have full voice acting and keep the number of Anime cutscenes as VC2.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
The game uses 1.073 gigs of space, so adding 700 megs worth of stuff really wont be too much of a burden. I rather have full voice acting and keep the number of Anime cutscenes as VC2.

I don't even think they need to make the game any bigger. Quality game design doesn't take up extra space, just extra effort! :D

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Except for one very specific, very big one.

I am glad they're getting back out of the stupid school setting.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
I don't even think they need to make the game any bigger. Quality game design doesn't take up extra space, just extra effort! :D

Well, this game from your descriptor will have a much higher budget and better production values. So the extra effort will be there :)

Giolon said:
Except for one very specific, very big one.

I am glad they're getting back out of the stupid school setting.

Go any further and you will anger the mods.

Just be happy that VC3 looks like an excellent game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom