• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PSP]Valkyria Chronicles 3 - 1/27/2011 (JP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamblasto

I'm all for fighting stuff like the Batomys again, but can we not have someone like Selvaria walk in and rape my squad with lasers?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hamblasto said:
I'm all for fighting stuff like the Batomys again, but can we not have someone like Selvaria walk in and rape my squad with lasers?

Why, because in VC2 you got raped by
Dirk who uses the same damn lasers

MechaX said:
Jeez... it sounds like what VC2 should have been.

Not that VC2 was a bad game, but it seems to be light years better.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Go any further and you will anger the mods.

Just be happy that VC3 looks like an excellent game.
It's hard to be happy when SEGA is so good at crushing the hopes and dreams of its fans. What I do see is better looking than VC2 though, I will say that.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
It's hard to be happy when SEGA is so good at crushing the hopes and dreams of its fans. What I do see is better looking than VC2 though, I will say that.

Speak for yourself, I am ecstatic about this news.

Hamblasto

Hcoregamer00 said:
Why, because in VC2 you got raped by
Dirk who uses the same damn lasers

Actually,
Dirk
was the easier part of that mission. A Fencer makes short work of him. It was those damn V2s that kept getting to my base that pissed me off.

Hcoregamer00

Varion said:
Main staff:
Producer: Shinji Motoyama
Director: Take Ozawa
Series Producer: Shuntarou Tanaka
Original Character Designs: Raita Honjou
Music: Hitoshi Sakimoto

Oh shit, I didn't notice this.

So much fucking win, I am buying the artbook ASAP.

cosmicblizzard said:
Wow, this sounds awesome. Of course all this doom and gloom talk about the unlikeliness of a localization is making me sad :(

This isn't Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 or 3, those will never get a USA release.

:(

DJChuy

Hcoregamer00 said:
It is not like VC2 is a bad game, it is an excellent game with some minor flaws.

All of which seems to be addressed and perfected in VC3 :lol

Exactly my point! :lol

But yeah, I guess I'll continuing playing. It'll probably make me appreciate VC3 more. I hope Vyse is in there.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Volcynika said:
Here here!
I guess I'm alone in this here.
I fell in love with the specific presentation qualities of VC1. Is it so wrong to want to experience that again? More over none at all isn't always better - see Star Wars, Matrix.

That's the last I'll say on that aspect here, but it's hard for me to be excited about the rest of the good news that I see (Raita's return, fewer ingredients collecting, bigger maps, bigger enemies) due to the other disappointment I feel about this announcement.

*think positive, think positive*

RobertM

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I so wanted an HD Valkyria Chronicles with normal leveling system and conservative looking characters like in the first VC with huge open areas and non of this moving area to area nonsense. I am heart broken ;_;

I don't know if we should be so quick to be down on a localization happening. This is the company that keeps localizing RGG games (which have a lot more text than VC) off lifetime sales under 50k. I think if VC2 can manage even a 20k first month then we don't have to be too worried about VC3's prospects.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
I guess I'm alone in this here.
I fell in love with the specific presentation qualities of VC1. Is it so wrong to want to experience that again? More over none at all isn't always better - see Star Wars, Matrix.

That's the last I'll say on that aspect here, but it's hard for me to be excited about the rest of the good news that I see (Raita's return, fewer ingredients collecting, bigger maps, bigger enemies) due to the other disappointment I feel about this announcement.

*think positive, think positive*

I fell in love more with the character design, music, storytelling, charming cast, and perfect gameplay. VC3 will incorporate all that I loved about VC1 and the stuff I pined for in VC2. From my perspective VC3 is the incorporation of what makes VC1 and VC2 so great.

While it is bad in your perspective, for me it was the best news I could possibly get because the last thing I cared about was the graphics portion.

RobertM said:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I so wanted an HD Valkyria Chronicles with normal leveling system and conservative looking characters like in the first VC with huge open areas and non of this moving area to area nonsense. I am heart broken ;_;

It is the same character designer from VC1.

Phenomic

Hcoregamer00 said:

Can't disagree with this statement after seeing the scans, reading the rough translations. Definitely seems like they are addressing the problems and giving me more of what I wanted in a follow up to the first game.

Guess maybe I should be skeptical perhaps about it getting localized?, have any numbers shown up yet about how two fared state side?

duckroll said:
- Another interesting point is that the Command Map will be getting a complete overhaul, while the Action phase will also have much more actions available. Various characters will also have super modes unique to their character, and the Valkyria character can activate her Valkyria powers as an actual attack mode.
Sweet. :D I found it rather disappointing that you couldn't have
Alicia
go super saiyan in the first game.

The female character with the ultra badass gun looks so awesome. :O
Varion said:
Well at least there was the
Selvaria DLC
to scratch that itch. Had so much fun on that mission.
I haven't purchased the DLC yet.

Varion

ninj4junpei said:
Sweet. :D I found it rather disappointing that you couldn't have
Alicia
go super saiyan in the first game.
Well at least there was the
Selvaria DLC
to scratch that itch. Had so much fun on that mission.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
I fell in love more with the character design, music, storytelling, charming cast, and perfect gameplay. VC3 will incorporate all that I loved about VC1 and the stuff I pined for in VC2. From my perspective VC3 is the incorporation of what makes VC1 and VC2 so great.

While it is bad in your perspective, for me it was the best news I could possibly get because the last thing I cared about was the graphics portion.
Don't get me wrong - I love those things too. But why can't we have it all again? It's not just graphics - it's the surround sound and the comfort of not having to stare at a tiny 4" screen. If the PSP suddenly could support hi-res video output, I'd lose much of my complaints! Hooking up VC2 to a television though is asking for your eyes to bleed (true of any PSP game - I tried MHFU and it was a mistake lol).

1UP updated their article on the announcement with info from Famitsu. A quote from 1UP:

1UP said:
According to Motoyama, [...] there wasn't much reason not to [stay on PSP]. "This is the third game in the series, but only the second one on the PSP," he told Famitsu. "I figured that we should introduce new things to the series and let it mature more [on the PSP]. Of course, I know there are gamers who wanted us to release it on the PS3, but since the first Valkyria came out two years ago, I think we'd need a wholly different idea for the PS3, not something where the gameplay's only been updated a little bit. The problem with that, though, is that I don't think such a game would be Valkyria any longer."

While Motoyama is open to future PS3 developments, it seems that Valkyria is firmly planted on the PSP for now. "I want to make games on the right platform for the ideas I have. However -- for now, at least -- we're making the best Valkyria Chronicles that we can come up with."
So, that's SEGA's public reasoning.

Hcoregamer00

So basically Valkyria Chronicles will remain as a franchise on handheld consoles until they come up with a radically different use of the gameplay.

Like we didn't see this a mile away when VC2 was announced.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
So basically Valkyria Chronicles will remain as a franchise on handheld consoles until they come up with a radically different use of the gameplay.

Like we didn't see this a mile away when VC2 was announced.

Yeah, that was my initial fear...I wanted to believe though, man. I wanted to believe... T.T

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Yeah...I wanted to believe though, man. I wanted to believe... T.T

To put it even simpler, Valkyria Chronicles set such a high bar for innovation that it will be impossible to continue the franchise on consoles because any Valkyria Chronicles game will not live up to the original game's extremely high mark on the genre and the insanely high expectations of the fanatical fanbase.

You can argue that it is gamer's extremely high expectations for a Valkyria Chronicles successor that prevented it from going back to consoles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hcoregamer00 said:
To put it even simpler, Valkyria Chronicles set such a high bar for innovation that it will be impossible to continue the franchise on consoles because any Valkyria Chronicles game will not live up to the original game's extremely high mark on the genre and the insanely high expectations of the fanatical fanbase.

You can argue that it is gamer's extremely high expectations for a Valkyria Chronicles successor that prevented it from going back to consoles.

That's a joke post, right?

Because clearly Halo 4 should be on Zune then.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I'm pretty sure the primary deciding factors have more to do with speed + cost of development than anything involving innovation.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Wow info sounds good. I was worried that it was going re-use the school setting again and be something akin to persona 4. Good to see, that's definitely not the case.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
I'm pretty sure the primary deciding factors have more to do with speed + cost of development than anything involving innovation.

Well, whatever the case is, the game will be on portables, so pining for a console iteration is a lost cause.

Cels

Cool beans...
More VC is good news regardless of platform.
Unlike others in this thread, I remain optimistically hopeful for localization.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, whatever the case is, the game will be on portables, so pining for a console iteration is a lost cause.

It's true. At least there's no room for false hope anymore, particularly with the 1UP quote. It is what it is. I need a stiff drink, :lol

Maybe tomorrow, or next week, my excitement level will increase, but tonight it cannot. Getting over it is the only course of action.

Hcoregamer00

Cels said:
Cool beans...
More VC is good news regardless of platform.
Unlike others in this thread, I remain optimistically hopeful for localization.

I am not worried about Localization, I have faith that this game will be released. Hopefully Sega will be smart and do a simultaneous release in the USA and Japan, but who are we kidding, Valkyria never had a simultaneous release.

With Sega's penchant for shooting itself in the foot, I bet this game will see the light of day the same week Agito comes out in the USA and Japan:lol

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am not worried about Localization, I have faith that this game will be released. Hopefully Sega will be smart and do a simultaneous release in the USA and Japan, but who are we kidding.

With Sega's penchant for shooting itself in the foot, I bet this game will see the light of day the same week Agito comes out :lol

That's so SEGA! I doubt they'd do that though b/c VC2 won't have even have been on the market 6 months in the US yet.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
That's so SEGA! I doubt they'd do that though b/c VC2 won't have even have been on the market 6 months in the US yet.

Yeah, but remember that other companies did just fine flooding the market with a game.

If I remember correctly Ace Attorney 2 and Ace Attorney 3 where released 9 months apart in the USA and they both sold really well.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am not worried about Localization, I have faith that this game will be released. Hopefully Sega will be smart and do a simultaneous release in the USA and Japan, but who are we kidding, Valkyria never had a simultaneous release.

With Sega's penchant for shooting itself in the foot, I bet this game will see the light of day the same week Agito comes out in the USA and Japan:lol
I don't think there's a single company out there that manages simultaneous releases of RPGs with any kind of regularity. That's not just a SEGA issue.

Hcoregamer00

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't think there's a single company out there that manages simultaneous releases of RPGs with any kind of regularity. That's not just a SEGA issue.

Sega did it with Skies of Arcadia ;-;

I know it is not regularly, but that has got to mean something.

Phenomic

Giolon said:

I dunno, regardless if it was a joke I think Hcore is will end up being pretty accurate with that statement. Resonance of Fate came out give or take a week with Final Fantasy 13. We just saw Valkyria 2 battle it out against Birth by Sleep with a week release difference. Not saying a date change is necessary the best route but those titles against those two games is a hard sell. I imagine if localization time is any similar to two was game will be out in Fall 2011 State side. I also imagine Agito hitting around this time frame as well for some reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hcoregamer00 said:
Sega did it with Skies of Arcadia ;-;

I know it is not regularly, but that has got to mean something.

VC2 just came out though... but I figure RubyEclipse's tease when he was pimping VC2 on the blog was an indication that VC3 would likely get a localization (short of VC2 bombing here anyway).

Suzuki Yu

while i am really angry about this announcement , the info of this game is really really good actually!
also i really respect the vision of the team for not starting the next console game until there are great ideas to make it revolutionary enough .
so they are thinking now about new ideas to take advantage of the system that they want to create the game for .
but i am still against the numbering in VC2&3 , or at least they should add "portable" to the title

Snaku

Banned
According to Motoyama, [...] there wasn't much reason not to [stay on PSP]. "This is the third game in the series, but only the second one on the PSP," he told Famitsu. "I figured that we should introduce new things to the series and let it mature more [on the PSP]. Of course, I know there are gamers who wanted us to release it on the PS3, but since the first Valkyria came out two years ago, I think we'd need a wholly different idea for the PS3, not something where the gameplay's only been updated a little bit. The problem with that, though, is that I don't think such a game would be Valkyria any longer."

While Motoyama is open to future PS3 developments, it seems that Valkyria is firmly planted on the PSP for now. "I want to make games on the right platform for the ideas I have. However -- for now, at least -- we're making the best Valkyria Chronicles that we can come up with."

sypnd5.gif

That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Hcoregamer00

Snaku said:

Really, so keeping the franchise relegated to portables for small gameplay improvements until they can come up with something amazing for a console iteration is a bad thing :lol

More game companies should be doing this.

Pureauthor said:
There's no reason to do that from their perspective.

Yup, why call it Valkyria Chronicles 2 portable or Valkyria Chronicles 3 portable if there is no console iteration that it originally came from?

This is not monster hunter.

Suzuki Yu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yup, why call it Valkyria Chronicles 2 portable or Valkyria Chronicles 3 portable if there is no console iteration that it originally came from?

This is not monster hunter.

i mean VC Portable and VC Portable 2 or anything else other than numbering continuation

Suzuki Yu said:
i mean VC Portable and VC Portable 2 or anything else other than numbering continuation

That leads to the implication that the handheld iterations are inherently inferior to the console counterpart, and that's simply not true.

While I think many would agree VC2 suffers in several key areas, none of those areas have any relation to it being on a portable system.

Translation: Sega told us to milk the franchise and keep down costs. I don't buy this we want the next VC console game to be as revolutionary as the original.

Giolon

Pureauthor said:
That leads to the implication that the handheld iterations are inherently inferior to the console counterpart, and that's simply not true.

While I think many would agree VC2 suffers in several key areas, none of those areas have any relation to it being on a portable system.

They both have their plusses and minuses, which are going to be bigger deals for some (me) people than others (Hc00, Volc). We had this exact discussion when VC2 was announced...

Snaku

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Really, so keeping the franchise relegated to portables for small gameplay improvements until they can come up with something amazing for a console iteration is a bad thing :lol

Oh, was that a question? Yes it is dumb, very dumb. It's not what the fans of this niche franchise want. It's not a bright idea keeping it on a platform that is dead in every corner of the planet except for its country of origin, where it is barely hanging on life support. It's not like they're saving a great deal of money by using the PSP engine, when the Canvas engine is already finished and awaiting new art assets. If they really wanted to keep it on portables until they come up with some game changing idea, which Motoyama freely admits would destroy it as a Valkyria game so that whole point is fucking moot, why not choose the obvious platform that would provide it the greatest chance at long term success: the 3DS? The exposure the game would get just by virtue of launching at or around launch would be enough to virtually guarantee a hit, which is obviously the only thing the asshats at Sega care about: $$$.

Honestly, I'll be there day one just like the rest of you sad bastards. But the way this franchise has been handled makes me sick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Snaku said:
sypnd5.gif

marathonfool said:
Translation: Sega told us to milk the franchise and keep down costs. I don't buy this we want the next VC console game to be as revolutionary as the original.
The AndriaSang preview actually included an extra sentence.

AndriaSang said:
Motoyama admits that there are likely many players out there who want a PS3 entry. However, he feels that a new PS3 entry would require new ideas beyond just a few gameplay updates -- so much so that you might not even be able to call it the same series. He and his team are always considering new ideas, but they've yet to come up with the revolutionary idea that they feel would warrant a PS3 sequel.

Motoyama did not rule out a PS3 entry, though, replying in the affirmative when Famitsu asked if the series could come to PS3 if he were to come up with the appropriate idea.

However, Motoyama feels that for the current story-focused series, the ability to play wherever you want is important. "In an era where everyone is busy, we felt PSP was best in order to make Valkyria Chronicles bigger."
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/15/valkyria_3_psp/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, did VC2 sell really well on the PSP to justify 3 being on it as well?

It's still crazy to think that 1 is on PS3 and 2/3 is on the PSP. :/

Not port begging or anything, just saying

Still need to buy 2 off the PSN store, but I'm waiting on a sale for it.

Edit: Oh, they feel the PSP is the best platform for the game. Meh. Well, good for them I guess. :/

Snaku

Banned
"In an era where everyone is busy, we felt PSP was best in order to make Valkyria Chronicles bigger."

And here I've been just sitting around at home with my consoles and portables thinking the world was easy like Sunday morning. When the fuck did people start going out and doing stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom