• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Pooya

headerjamm.jpg

gamedatape4a.png

Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Platinum Games
Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Genre: Third-person shooter
Modes: Single-player
Content Downloads
Leaderboards

Release dates:
  • NA October 19, 2010
  • JP October 21, 2010
  • EU October 22, 2010
Ratings:
  • BBFC: 15
  • CERO: D
  • ESRB: M
  • PEGI: 18

Boxarts:
vanq_ps3_pack_front1_lfz4c.jpg
vanq_360_pack_front1_ltzi6.jpg

Achievements and Trophies
51 Trophies, 2 gold, 5 silver, 42 bronze and 1 secret trophy.
Achievements list

Partial Credits
click on names to see the related blog entry:

Official Sites:
http://www.sega.com/vanquish/
http://vanquish.sega.jp/

Collector's Edtion
Exclusive to UK retailer Zavvi
pack_collector_figurinxlpj.png

K-MART Deal
You get a $20 gaming coupon for another game, and then get $30 off a game on this list.

story8flo.png

In a near-future world where Russia and the United States vie for ownership of the world’s fast-depleting energy resources, the US has constructed a space station in order to harness energy from the sun. Russian forces capture this space station and divert its harvested solar energy into a blast wave that destroys San Francisco, aiming to force the US into a total and unconditional surrender. In response, the US tasks its armed forces with recapturing the space station before the Russians can annihilate their next target – New York...

blog_colony3x8d.jpg

chars0dls.png

samgxsd.png
burnsjyr2.png
elenauxge.png
prestb0b.png
profux1q.png
zitsevkbt1.png

from left to right:
Sam Gideon: [Age: 36] [Affiliation: DARPA]

As a researcher at DARPA, Sam was in charge of designing the Augmented Reaction Suit (ARS) system. Officially, he accompanies the army to test his battle suit design, but secretly he has been drafted to rescue Professor Candide. Consequently, his hidden agenda leads to constant clashes with the mission's commanding officer, Marine Lt. Col. Robert Burns. Sam is voiced by Gideon Emery in English version.

Lt. Col. Robert Burns: [Age: 48] [Affiliation: Marines / Commanding Officer]

Burns, a decorated war hero who received both the Silver Star and Navy Cross in two of his three military engagements, is the task force commanding officer in the effort to reclaim the space colony under occupation by the Order of the Russian Star. Burns is an endlessly driven commander, continuing to fight in hopes of honoring the soldiers he has lost under his stewardship with victory, despite losing his arm and replacing nearly half his body with bionics.. He is voiced by Steve Blum in English version.

Elena Ivanova: [Age: 27] [Affiliation: DARPA / Mission Coordinator]

Lauded as a prodigy, Elena received a special education as part of a Department of Defense project, and was later assigned to DARPA at the request of Dr. Candide. Her role in the current operations is in providing logistical support to Sam. Her superior analytical abilities and hacking techniques could prove a deciding factor in the final outcome

President Elizabeth Winters: [Age: 56] [Affiliation: President of the United States of America]

America's first female president. Already recognized in financial circles for her extraordinary abilities, expectations were high as Winters assumed the presidency in the midst of a severe global recession. In addition to her fierce obsession with authority, reputation and social status, she has proven time again that she is willing to use anyone or anything, stepping on the backs of rivals where need be, to further her political ascent.

Professor Francois Candide: [Age: 49] [Affiliation: DARPA]

As chief researcher at DARPA, Dr. Candide initially proposed the colony station as well as design the energy system that was later weaponized by the Russian Star. Feeling an overwhelming sense of responsibility for the annihilation of San Francisco, he left a video message for Sam warning him about a mole working from inside the government, before taking it upon himself to try to shut down the energy system personally.

Victor Zaitsev: [Affiliation: Order of the Russian Star]

Principal of the Order of the Russian Star, the faction responsible for overthrowing the Russian Federation via coup d'état. He pilots his own battle suit which easily rivals that of the ARS in terms of abilities, and personally directed the assault on the Providence space colony resulting in the attack that devastated San Francisco. He has now demanded America's unconditional surrender, failing which his next target will be New York.

bravomx26.png

Bravo Company

A task force consisting of elements of space-based special operations forces, Marines, and the remnants of the forces that were once stationed upon the colony.

enemy1gwn.png

gorgie19hg.png

You fight various synthetic enemies in this game, the "grunts" of vanquish are called Gorgie (pictured) which are basic enemies, There are several bigger mini bosses, wall bots which turn into a wall for providing cover for others, hovering gun robots, tanks etc. You can find more info on some of these at http://vanquish.sega.jp/, I won't list them here because it can be considered a spoiler to some, well, you probably want to discover them yourself in the game!

gameplayshuk.png

Augmented Reaction System Suit - ARS
The Augmented Reaction Suit, or ARS, is a cutting-edge mechanical. It's equipped with a variety of functions, including jet boosters located on the thighs, a reaction time-enhancing mode dubbed "Augmented Reality Mode" and the ability to simultaneously monitor every aspect of the operator's health to make sure they are working in peak condition. What appears to be the helmet's visor is in fact a breathing filter, and the wearer does not "see" directly, but rather, all the information he or she needs is displayed on the helmet's inside, making it incredibly vulnerable to attacks which target the suit's operating system. The suit's power source is a reactor located on its back, which automatically vents when overheated.
arssuit159v.png

B.L.A.D.E. System
van02ux5c.png

Instead of picking up weapons thanks to BLADE, Sam can just scan any weapon he finds and then BLADE can transform to that weapon. BLADE can only save 3 weapons at a time.
There are too many weapons to list here; from MG, HMG, Shotgun to rocket launchers and laser cannons, you can find the nearly full list on the JP official site.

hudk9s6.jpg

Grenades
There are two type of grenades: Explosive and EMP, you can switch between the two by pressing left on the d-pad.
TIP: You can shoot your grenades in the air while in AR mode.

Controls
Type A
ps3controlsmflj.png
xbox360controlsicmx.png

Type B
functions of triggers and shoulder buttons are swapped.

• Picking same weapon will replenish your ammo
  • Picking up an upgrade item will upgrade the current weapon and increases it's effectiveness in various ways
  • Picking up same weapon when already carrying max ammo will allow you to proceed on the upgrade path for that weapon
  • Melee attack depends on your currently equipped weapon, each has its own merits.
  • Aiming while evading (LS+ X/A) activates AR.
  • Aiming while boosting activates AR.
  • While in cover, you can push LS forward and press Square/X to jump. Aiming while jumping activates AR.
  • Low health automatically activates AR.
  • Melee attacks drain all of your power.

Canceling
Canceling is skipping of certain animations in action games so you can do things much faster!

• Reload Canceling
    Skipping reload animation. As soon as you start reloading you can switch to a different weapon and switch back so you don't have to reload.
  • BLADE Canceling
    Skipping BLADE System's transforming animation by switching to another weapon while firing a weapon.
  • Melee Canceling
    Skipping lengthy melee attack's animation. Just use evade (LS+ X/A).

Scoring
Your performance is evaluated in the end of each level based on your time and other stats:

Mission result

• Total Score
  • Mission Time
  • Cover Usage
  • Distance Traveled
  • Munitions Fired
  • Deaths penalty
  • Confirmed Friendlies KIA
  • Wounded Friendlies Assisted
  • Confirmed Kills
  • Pangloss Statues Destroyed
  • Completed Time Bonus
  • Death Point Reduction

Difficulty Settings
There are four difficulty settings:
  • Casual Auto
  • Casual
  • Normal
  • Hard
  • God Hard

God Hard will be unlocked after beating the game.

Challenge Mode
You have to survive waves of enemies and finish fastest as possible for most points. This mode in intended for 'core' players and is quite difficult. You can download the second demo available on JPSN and JLIVE to try this mode. More details about this mode is not available at the moment. The demo will be released on other marketplaces after the game's release date.

ostj69m.png

10_0116tf.jpg

More info

The Vanquish Original Soundtrack will be released in Japan on October 27, 2010. It’s all the intense music from the game, spread across a wonderful three disc set (63 tracks)

It also features tracks from our awesome collaborators on this project, Masafumi Takada, of The Silver Case, killer7, God Hand, and No More Heroes fame, and Masakazu Sugimori, composer on Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (GBA) and Viewtiful Joe (GC) amongst others. At 3990 yen, it is a bit pricey, but once you get great at the game and then start thinking the music was awesome, the soundtrack is the perfect companion!

dlchav6.png

Pre-odrer DLC:
The Tri-Weapon pack contains a small arsenal of experimental technology, made up of the Boost Machine Gun, Anti-Armor Pistol and Laser Cannon. This triple threat of futuristic weaponry gives players an edge in surviving the frenetic and massive battles onboard the vast space station setting of VANQUISH™. The Boost Machine Gun is an early experimental weapon with impressive overall fire power and the speed to dispense rounds similar to that of a heavy machine gun. The Anti-Armor Pistol fires a special penetrative shell and was manufactured to tackle hostile forces with much stronger armor. Finally, the Laser Cannon is a miniaturized space warship laser and is more powerful than any other weapon available for infantry.

videoszdgh.png

Trailers
Weapons Trailer

Enemies Trailer

Story Trailer

Sam Gideon GC10 Trailer

E310 Gameplay Trailer

ARS Battle Suit Trailer

Game Announcement Trailer

Gameplay

Challenge Mode Demo Part I

Challenge Mode Demo Part 2

E3 2010 Demo
Part I

Part II

Speed Runs/Experts gameplay

Video #1
Video #2

gallery6crc.png

reviews1euc.png

faqodud.png

Q1: Which version to get?
A: Face-off

Q2: 60 fps?
A: Is 30 fps.

Q3: How long is this game?
A: 7-8 hours with very high replay value. think of it as an high scoring arcade game.
Read this article to better understand what this game is about

PG forum QA

What was the inspiration behind the style and setting of VANQUISH?
We based things on the Japanese animated series, Casshern. As far as the game goes, we really put an emphasis on speed during the gameplay.

How Important will the Melee combat be in the game? and how many melee moves are there?
We haven’t made melee the focal point of combat in the game, but it is an effective technique when you close in on an enemy. The focal point of combat in the game is shooting, so the melee attacks are really just to add to the combat repertoire.

Do you think VANQUISH will be able to successfully compete with other shooters on the market without Multiplayer?
Of course, the lack of multiplayer will probably make things difficult on the sales front, but what we have instead is the speedy exhilaration of Vanquish’s gameplay, along with the content you can really sink your teeth into. I think it will provide more than enough enjoyment for those who buy the game.

What was your inspiration to make this into a third person shooter and not first person?
I wanted people to really feel the action going on during the game, which means that we needed to show the player on the screen.

Do you think Vanquish represents a sort of attempt at making a very traditionally “western” genre and infusing it with a style that is centric to Japanese video games?
If that is how people take the game, I am totally fine with that.

-What is your favorite aspect of Vanquish?
I really love the boost system in the game, as well as the English voice for our main character, Sam. It is incredibly cool, and I’m hooked on it.

-Will be bosses be solely “Shoot and Dodge” or will there be pseudo puzzle challenges like environmental hazards?
The bosses are a bit old-school, in that there is a distinct process for defeating them, kind of like exposing their weak points and then firing upon them.

-What was the inspiration for the visual style?
The backgrounds are influenced by a movie called Tristan + Isolde. In the end, the visuals are really the product of the individual tastes of the staff creating them, but I think the graphics in the game are something we can be proud to recommend to people.

Who will be composing the soundtrack for the game?
The soundtrack was mainly composed by our in-house composers; however, ex-Grasshopper Manufacture composer Masafumi Takada was also in on composing some tracks.

SPECIAL THANKS
∀ Narayan

/sets up camp; will finish reading op tomorrow.

Actually amazing work, if not a bit excessive. Still awesome job.

I had a lot of fun with the PS3 demo and it reminded me of many things including hues of a Lost Planet that didn't suck (mainly the shooting enemy red weak spots and fighting against very large things with cool gear). Debating on buy day now or wait.

Phenomic

Very nice OT, Vanquish thread is now my new home for a while since I just beat Lords of Shadow.

Although this kind of makes me sad "Mikami said to expect a play time of around 7 hours". Was hoping it would be at least around 15.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Phenomic said:
Very nice OT, Vanquish thread is now my new home for a while since I just beat Lords of Shadow.

Although this kind of makes me sad "Mikami said to expect a play time of around 7 hours". Was hoping it would be at least around 15.
I think it has more replay value than the average shooter. So you can easily double or triple that number on multiple playthroughs, especially if you time attack levels.

C Jones

Great post. Think I'm gonna use some Amazon credit to pick this up. I also got a "Lost Planet" vibe from it too. I just hope the replay value is high. Hopefully the achievements will keep me busy.

jett

D-Member
Has anyone found a use for the smokes yet? You can only do it a limited number of times...has to have some use.

Calcaneus

I might get this day 1, but it seems I'll have a lot of school work piled up around late Oct/early Nov so I may hold off on it.

C Jones said:
Great post. Think I'm gonna use some Amazon credit to pick this up. I also got a "Lost Planet" vibe from it too. I just hope the replay value is high. Hopefully the achievements will keep me busy.
I think I may follow suit. This game turned out to be one of my most highly anticipated. Fuck this game is SO SO so good.

What's with the MGS-ness? Codec calls, smoker, DARPA, David Hayter sound-a-like. Look, they've even got an Otacon. And that's 60's Ocelot on the right.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot wait for this game. CANNOT WAIT!! I plan on buying it, playing it. And when I done playing it, fucking it. That's right. I'm gonna throw the disk on my bed and fuck it. FUCK IT HARD!!!!!!

I'M SO EXCITED!

but I'm angry for two reasons:

1) This is my most anticipated game by-far. Played the demos many times. But I have FOUR huge projects due the day after. It's like all the professors got together and decided how to piss me off.

2) My second most anticipated game, Fallout New Vegas, is releasing on the same day! (and so is Comic Quest!)

What the fuck is time?

Top Bottom