• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

lbp2_ot_by_jump_button-d36uj61.gif

Basic information
Developer: Media Molecule and you
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Platforms: Playstation 3
Genre: Platform for games
Release Date:
North America - January 18th, 2011
UK and Ireland - January 21st, 2011
Mainland Europe - 19th, 2011
Players: 1 - 4​

what_the_game_about_by_jump_button-d36x7oi.gif

PLAY, CREATE, and SHARE with LittleBigPlanet 2 a platform for games.

Join The Alliance a semi-secret, semi-organised group over 40 new Story mode levels as you battle The Evil Negativitron across a wide range of game genres and themes.

A powerful new set of tools awaits you, tools that vastly widen the scope of possibility, and that hand you the power to create whole games.

Through a familiar but revamped Popit, you can bring your Sackboy to life, compose your own music, direct cinematic masterpieces, wire controllers directly in to your contraptions, connect easy to use switches, microchips and circuit boards to build epic bosses, vehicles, machines, and puzzles or anything that you could dream up.

This is a full sequence with new Mm Story levels and not DLC in a box

Story Summary

Players continue Sackboy's journey after the events of the first game and the portable version are brought to an end. An inter-dimensional vacuum cleaner appears over the skies of LittleBigPlanet and begins to suck up its inhabitants, including Sackboy. Larry Da Vinci, the leader of a semi-secret semi-organised group known as "The Alliance", comes to Sackboy's rescue saving him from what they call "The Negativitron." The organisation is dedicated to battling with "The Negativitron" and defeating it before it destroys Craftworld.

What's New
Well, they is too much to list everything

Interface Updates and General Stuff

Objects can be hidden, to edit things behind them.
Preview option allows all objects that are invisible in play mode to be made invisible in create.
Categories can be collapsed and also skipped for faster searching.
Advanced glue - allows you to select two objects to directly glue, and to unglue a object from any others

Tools and Power Ups

logic_by_jump_button-d36x7r9.gif

In LittleBigPlanet 2 you can compress all your logic down into a Microchips, Logic no longer have too physically be made.

Mover: A simple one way mover, you can set it to move up, down, left, or right, at your desired speed.
Advanced Mover: A mover that can move your object in more than one direction.
Follower: Will make the object follow your sackboy or tags, and have the ability to switch layers with you.
In/Out Mover: This will make the object move forwards or backwards a layer
Gyroscope: This makes an object stay at a fixed angle no matter what, you can set the strength.
Look At Rotator: This makes the object it is placed on rotate towards your sackboy or tags.
Rocket Rotator: This will make an object turn toward the direction it is going.
Rotator: This is a basic rotator that makes an object rotate in a specific direction
Advanced Rotator: This is a rotator that can rotate in more than one direction, rotates to whatever is active.
Joystick Rotator: This rotator is activated by a joystick, it turns with the joystick.

Impact Sensor: Detects whenever the object it is placed on hits, or is hit by something.
Water Sensor: Senses when the connected object is submerged underwater.
Score Sensor: This senses whenever you have a certain score, once you get to the set score.
Projectile Sensor: This is a sensor that when hit by a projectile is activated. There are a few projectiles in the game like fire, water, plasma, and electricity. You can set this to be activated by individual projectiles, or all of them, acts much like the paintinator sensor.

Microchip: A logic container that saves space and avoids clutter with creations
AND Gate: Activated when all of the connected inputs are active.
OR Gate: Activates when any of its inputs are activated, you can have more than 1 input activate it.
XOR Gate: Activates when only one of it's inputs are active, if there are 2 inputs and one is activated, it will work, but if both are activated, it will not work.
NOT Gate: output the Opposite to the Input.
Battery: Emits a constant 'on' signal, a permanent on switch.

Toggle: Each time an input is activated, the switch toggles to either on or off depending on the logic.
Counter: Counts up or down with given events. Each input it receives, the count number goes up or down 1.
Timer: Can be set to different modes, when the set time is up, the switch is activated.
Randomizer: Randomizes different events, for example, if there are 5 inputs, it will go through them unpredictably.
Direction Splitter: Splits a multi-direction input into 2 directions. For instance, if you are using the controlinator, you can split the left analog stick into 2 different direction outputs, rather than one.
Direction Combiner: Combines 2 different direction outputs, lets say after some logic you want to make the 2 split directions back into one direction, use this to achieve that.
Selector: Use this to select different outputs. You can place more than one output and then roll through them when the input is activated.
Sequencer: Plays through a selected sequence of events. Plays them in a determined order

Music Sequencer: Make you own music​
In LBP1 it would take up a full level to make a calculator! But in LBP2 you can make one that will take a little bit of the levels thermometer.

upsilandre’s 8-bit calculator

and the new

emailsfromthemolecule-chris-2b.jpg

LittleBigPlanet 2 Review

Official PlayStation Magazine UK - 10

“Full of simple-to-grasp tools, all with huge potential – and you could easily lose more time to LBP2 than any other game released in 2011.”
“Never going to build anything at all? This is still an indispensible package, rammed with creative potential and imaginative gameplay.”

Edge - 9

“Just like its predecessor, LBP2 leans heavily on its title sequence to make its big statement. But although the original had the weight of enthusing a generation to the idea of material creativity on console, the message this time around is more complex, and perhaps even more urgent. Media Molecule needs to convince players that, despite the familiarity of Sackboy, the return of narrator Stephen Fry and some kooky ’70s tunes, LBP2 is much more than DLC packaged on a Blu-ray disc and sold at full price.”
More……

LBP.me

With over three million creations out there, and millions more to come, it’s important that you’re able to find the experience you’re looking for. LBP.me let you share you levels with the world and discover others, with activity streams so you can follow your friends and hearted creators, queue to add and play later, check photos, comments, all without being on LittleBigPlanet 2.

Box art

North America

5273012400_05da5237eb.jpg

NA Collector’s edition

5269581234_782513f2a0.jpg

5227202966_c69b9f4575.jpg

• A copy of LittleBigPlanet 2 – duh.
  • Your own little “Sackboy” – 7” of plushie-goodness for you to accompany you on your journey thru LBP2.
  • Exclusive LBP2 “game ends” – keep your PS3 games in a tidy, organized and ‘Sack-ured” within these unique bookends
  • One stop shop for exclusive DLC + more – regarding in-game content, the LBP2 Collector’s Edition comes packed with 11 different pre-order costumes, including:
  • Disney / Pixar’s Toy Story 3’s “Aliens” Sackboy Costume
  • Disney’s TRON: Legacy “Clu” Sackboy Costume
  • The Muppets’ “The Great Gonzo” Sackboy Costume
  • PlayStation’s “Ratchet” Sackboy Costume
  • PlayStation’s “Clank” Sackboy Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Crocodile” Sackboy Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Vulture” Sackboy Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Cobra” Sackboy Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Mandrill” Sackboy Costume
  • And exclusive to the LittleBigPlanet 2’s Collectors Edition:
  • PlayStation’s “Jak” Sackboy Costume
  • PlayStation’s “Daxter” Sackboy Costume
  • 5 exclusive LBP2 PSN Avatars – Lastly, complete your PlayStation experience with a new identity on the PlayStation Network with these new avatars.
Europe

5272404161_3000637d14.jpg

EU Collector’s edition

5183765175_fb84812ecd.jpg

• The Core contents of the Pal Collector’s Edition is as follows:
  • 5 PSN Avatars
  • 7 Sackboy Costumes
  • Disney / Pixar’s Toy Story 3’s “Alien” Costume
  • Disney’s TRON: Legacy “Clu” Costume
  • The Muppets’ “The Great Gonzo” Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Crocodile” Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Vulture” Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Cobra” Costume
  • Even More Animals’ “Mandrill” Costume
  • And in some Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank

Links

lbp.me
www.littlebigplanet.com
www.mediamolecule.com

FAQ

Have they change the floaty jump?
The default and story mode jumps are the same as LBP1, or it wouldn’t be LBP. The level creator is free to set what ever jump they want as seen here.

Will my DLC from LBP1 be carry over to LBP2?
Yes all LBP1 and DLC you own will carry over

Is remaking Mario world 1-1 creative of me?
No it not it been done to death we don’t need anymore, but it may get you on Kotaku

Can you Heart me?
If you ask that on LBP2 you will be shoot at

Move levels?
Initially, Move will be supported solely in Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, which is a 10 levels stand alone game you'll find on the disc (to be installed to the HDD from the XMB - Prehistoric Moves icon shows up under the LBP2 disc one)

The DLC will add the tools to actually build Move-compatible levels (more complex than those of Prehistoric Moves). And that will be released around Spring.

So how did i do for my first and i hope Only OT? go easy on me

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| - The Community Levels Thread

LBP.me
lbpme-announce-lrg.jpeg

Well for anyone that never been on LBP or not been on following LBP community here is some you should keep a eye on or go play they LBP1 levels.

neoGAF own

first some of the most famous creators from LBP1

and now them that show some good stuff in the beta

:b that harder to make then it looks XD let me know if you think i miss some one ill add them im sure they will be someone

News/Event's

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...-drivers-seat/

Contest
Use the items you find in the Prius themed level. Create whatever your creative mind wants as long as you use the items provided
Win prizes.

How to Enter
Collect item from LittleBigPrius Level. Use Items and whatever else you want. Label your level "Prius_(Level name here)".

Judging

Quote:
When the contest officially begins, publish your level online so that members of the LBP community will have a chance to play and comment upon it. Most importantly, they’ll be able to “heart” it if they really like it. When the contest ends, the ten highest-ranked levels, as chosen by the community, will be selected as our finalists.

Quote:
From these finalists, SCEA will choose one Grand Prize winner and four First Prize winners on the basis of originality, quality/polish, Toyota Prius brand awareness, and use of the items obtained from our LittleBigPrius level.

1 Grand Prize
46" Sony Bravia 3D HDTV
Playstation Move Hardware Bundle + Ps3 System
Playstation Eye Camera
Playstation Move Controller
Sports Champion Game

4 First Place Prize
Playstation Move Sports Champion Bundle which includes the game, Playstation Eye Camera and Move Controller.

Blog will make an announcement post about contest dates and when the level will go live (Expect early february).

So right now think of ideas and make an original polished game!

In celebration of the January 18th launch of LittleBigPlanet 2, we’ll be partnering with Guinness World Records next week to set five new records over a three-day period. Beginning on January 17th and going through January 19th, a small team of dedicated LBP fans will take over the PlayStation Lounge at the Sony Style store in New York City to set new gaming records and earn their place in history. If you’re in New York and would like to come check it out, feel free to drop by:

PlayStation Lounge at the Sony Style store
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

The Guinness World Records to be set include:

1.Longest marathon playing LittleBigPlanet 2
2.Longest marathon playing a platform video game
3.Most video game genres played in one video game in 24 hours
4.Most user-generated video game levels played in 24 hours
5.Most user-generated video game levels played in a marathon
LittleBigPlanet 2 will also be recognized for the following records:

1.Most gaming genres in one video game
2.Most player-created levels in one video game

If you can’t make it down, no worries, we’ll be LIVE streaming our World Record Event online right here on the PlayStation.Blog. Stay tuned for our unprecedented schedule of LittleBigPlanet 2 goodness hosted by Veronica Belmont from Qore and our own Jeff Rubenstein. Check in and watch the live action, interviews from anyone and everyone who loves Sackboy, and behind-the-scenes access with Media Molecule, plus tons more. You can even help us decide on which games to play next or tweet in your questions to anyone at the event. Whether it’s watching our fans staying up playing LBP2 into the wee hours of the night, checking out the Subway lunch break, or enjoying the back and forth banter of our LIVE event, we promise a good time. Want more details? Click here.

This record setting event also commemorates the release of the Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer’s Edition, the latest chronicle of video gaming history. LittleBigPlanet looms large in this year’s edition of the book with the game’s main character lovable, stitched-together main character, Sackboy, gracing the book’s cover and a bevy of facts and records cited within its pages. Known as the “Video Game Bible,” the fourth and latest edition of the popular series comes packed with 90% new or updated records and 750 never-before-seen amazing images appealing to everyone from hard-core gaming veterans to first time gamers and families. The Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer’s Edition will be available on January 20th for $14.99.

already post but tell you more :) oh and this too

Hi all! You may remember last year when we first introduced the 7-Eleven/God of War III program at 7-Eleven stores around the U.S. We received a great response, and we’re back today with an exciting update for you. As I’m sure some of you may have seen, Slurpee has teamed up once again with PlayStation to give the Slurpee treatment to two of this year’s most anticipated titles: LittleBigPlanet 2 and Killzone 3.

In the coming weeks you’ll be able to find exclusive LittleBigPlanet 2 and Killzone 3 Slurpee cups at 7-Eleven stores around the U.S. These cups have already made their way into many 7-Eleven stores, but for those of you who haven’t had the chance to get your hands on them yet, take a quick look at what you can expect above.

Each week, from now through March 30, you can stop by any participating 7-Eleven store to quench your thirst, collect one of these limited cups and with them, a Slurpee Rewards promotional code that can be redeemed at Slurpee.com. From now through February 15th, we’ll be flooding Slurpee.com with more of what you want – exclusive LittleBigPlanet 2 and Slurpee-themed content, including a behind-the-scenes look at the making of LittleBigPlanet 2, LittleBigPlanet ringtones, wallpaper for your cell and PC, exclusive sticker packs, strategy guides and more!

Here’s a peek at some of the content that’s already available, as well as some that’s still to come:

5347294437_a29202f4f9.jpg

LittleBigPlanet 2 PS3 Dynamic Theme

Killzone 3 PC Wallpaper

LittleBigPlanet 2 Killzone Mini-Pack (same as lbp1 I think tell me if im wrong)

LittleBigPlanet 2 Strategy Guide by BradyGames

Also, be sure to check back in early February as we reveal the lineup of the exclusive Killzone 3 content that will be available beginning in February and maybe even another Slurpee flavor especially created with Killzone fans in mind.

Screenshorts

LittleBigPlanet-2_2011_01-07-11_005.jpg_580.jpg

LittleBigPlanet-2_2011_01-07-11_001.jpg_580.jpg

LittleBigPlanet-2_2011_01-07-11_003.jpg_580.jpg

LittleBigPlanet-2_2011_01-07-11_004.jpg_580.jpg

LittleBigPlanet-2_2011_01-07-11_006.jpg_580.jpg

LittleBigPlanet-2_2011_01-07-11_007.jpg_580.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice.

My title would have been ''The jumping remains the same, but the possibilities are now insane".

I just hope they fix those BROKEN Sackboy controls and take away the weight/momentum so it controls like a completely different game!

yeah i was hoping the thread title would reference the jumping mechanic somehow, either way, day one for me. got it all paid off from amazon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Were the keyboard/mouse controls available in the beta? I never tried, but it sounds like it would make the Create a little more intuitive.

Speaking of Create, that's my no. 1 big plan for LBP2. I wanna bang out some real creations, I had some decent ideas in LBP1 but I could never see any of them through to the end. If I can make at least one great level, I can die a happy man.

Drac

What with this weak ass EU Collector Edition :( I want a real sackboy, we deserve some love too you know !

mclem said:
Is there any word on which retailers offer which preorder bonusses in the UK?

Uk is a bit of a mess Play.com have Jack and dexter but no Collector's Edition the Collector Edition is GAME and Gamestation Exclusive and we dont know if that just the core CE or if will have Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank in like NA CE -_-

its a real mess

level creator sorry every one got mix up last time for that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn, really want that US CE version. although you can buy plushies.

and whats with the move and 3d glasses? What move support does it have

Shearie

Something I've been wondering, can sackbots use powerups? I think I remember reading somewhere that they can't but I'm not sure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Great OP, thanks jump_button :)

mrklaw said:
damn, really want that US CE version. although you can buy plushies.

and whats with the move and 3d glasses? What move support does it have

No 3D support.

Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves is included with 2 - they're a set of local 2-player levels where one person plays with a dualshock and the other with a Move control.

In a couple of months a second upgrade is coming which will give you a 'controllinator' for Move - i.e. let you use Move input in your own levels. They haven't yet detailed how much flexibility and freedom it'll give, but I'm hoping for something very open so that LBP2 can basically be a big open canvas for Move experimentation.

CSSer

One more long week. I wasn't apart of the beta, but how does one make holographic animations? Sort of what like thedonkeyshow does for his awesome top down levels? Plus the character in jump_button's avatar?

plainr_ said:
Question:

Can you import jpg/png in LBP2 or do we still have to use the PSEye camera?

Pretty sure we still have to use the eye D:

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hahahaha, I can't stop smiling reading that whole OP. You did a very nice job. I'm very impressed! It's almost out!

Shearie said:
Something I've been wondering, can sackbots use powerups? I think I remember reading somewhere that they can't but I'm not sure.

yes they can and you can pick if they cant use them or not use them

Question:

Can you import jpg/png in LBP2 or do we still have to use the PSEye camera?

you can stil do everything you could in first so yes you can use the PSEYE but importing pics is still a no

Styles

Looks like us downunders will be getting the best of both worlds. CE includes the steel case, sackboy plushie, 11 dlc costumes and 5 psn avatars. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OP said:
What New
Well they is too much to list everything

What's New
Well, there is too much to list everything

There are a few things to be fixed, but your english was pretty good considering.

iratA

Gonna get this day one but can someone please explain to me how the linking of levels works in this? From what I remember the first game gave you keys, which you could award players to unlock further levels. Seemed kinda silly to me at the time, so I hope there's a smoother method to take players through a multi-level adventure.

Shearie

jump_button said:
yes they can and you can pick if they cant use them or not use them

Awesome! This game seems so goddamn perfect!

Edit: I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say "you can pick if they can use them or not use them"?

Barrett2

Looking forward to this. I'm not someone who makes levels, but VERY interested in checking out the community creations.

Why is a Sackboy wearing 3D glasses on the cover if the game doesn't support 3D?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gofreak said:
Great OP, thanks jump_button :)

No 3D support.

Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves is included with 2 - they're a set of local 2-player levels where one person plays with a dualshock and the other with a Move control.

In a couple of months a second upgrade is coming which will give you a 'controllinator' for Move - i.e. let you use Move input in your own levels. They haven't yet detailed how much flexibility and freedom it'll give, but I'm hoping for something very open so that LBP2 can basically be a big open canvas for Move experimentation.

thanks. Odd that there is no 3D support but those bookends have 3d glasses.

Any idea if move will be supported in level creation?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I was so late into LBP1 that I didn't really have a time to meet up with the community. Hoping that'll change come LBP2. Really looking forward to it. :)

Shearie

Another thing I've been wondering; I know you can now set levels to a versus mode where everybody you're playing with online gets their own camera instead of having to be within the same vicinity all the time (something I always wanted in LBP1) but how does that work when you're playing with multiple people on the same console? I don't remember hearing that this game has any sort of split-screen but I can be mistaken.

Axiom

So looking forward to this.

Also so frustrated, had some money problems so wasn't able to pre-order the CE until today, only to find everywhere (in Australia) is sold out.

I want my Gonzo and Sack plush!

iratA said:
Gonna get this day one but can someone please explain to me how the linking of levels works in this? From what I remember the first game gave you keys, which you could award players to unlock further levels. Seemed kinda silly to me at the time, so I hope there's a smoother method to take players through a multi-level adventure.

the level link will send you to the next level it is link too, it look just like a patch you can make them sub levels so they dont show up on your page you can lock them as well and give keys to unlock next level

Corto

Great OP! Congrats... I'll need to get an US collectors edition sent to Europe. The PAL CE is a joke.

Edit: Welcome back Snuggler! ;)

Still undecided on which version to get in the UK. I hate supporting GAME/Gamestation. :|

I'm also still a bit mad that we didn't get the amazing edition that NA gets too.

Epcott

B1gg_Randall said:
Good job jump_button...Quick question do I need to buy the Pirates of the Caribbean Level Kit to make water levels in LBP 2??

I'd like to know this too... and would you need the MGS pack to have the gun in levels as well (forgot name of gun, sorry)?

Ratrat

I was really hoping for a move bundle. :( I also wanted to sell LBP1 first but they wouldnt take it due to some invisible scratch.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jump_button said:
Move levels?
Move will be added later as DLC they are 10 levels to give you a tease

You can be more precise there.

Initially, Move will be supported solely in Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, which is a 10 levels stand alone game you'll find on the disc (to be installed to the HDD from the XMB - Prehistoric Moves icon shows up under the LBP2 disc one)

The DLC will add the tools to actually build Move-compatible levels (more complex than those of Prehistoric Moves). And that will be released around Spring.

If you want, you can also add my Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves video analysis to the OP
Here is there link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93wrpVxQB6Y

Mush

Maybe I'll finally have the patience to make something awesome.

Nah. :(

Can anyone tell me what the Create mode is like? Is it more simplified than LBP1? I found it really hard to do even the simplest of things, spawning objects, etc. This is the deal breaker for me tbh.

B1gg_Randall said:
Good job jump_button...Quick question do I need to buy the Pirates of the Caribbean Level Kit to make water levels in LBP 2??

as far as i know no if you dont own it for LBP1 but im not sure what will be in or not in from LBP1, you can still play levels with water with out it you just cant use it for you own.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sucks that Europe doesnt get the same Limited Edition as USA gets :( I ordered the standard edition instead, since the european Limited Edition cost nearly twice as much as the standard edition where i live, while the only difference is 7 DLC costumes, 5 PSN avatars and a different box.

iratA

jump_button said:
the level link will send you to the next level it is link too, it look just like a patch you can make them sub levels so they dont show up on your page you can lock them as well and give keys to unlock next level

Oh ok... so its like a portal the sackboy can jump through to go to the next level? If so that sounds awesome.

Man, that collectors edition business is a bit unfair.
Ignoring the box and physical items for a moment, what's with not giving the EU edition all the extra Sackboys like the US one?

Goldrusher

Maybe add a line in bold red explaining this is a proper game, with a long story mode with many, many levels. And not purely a bunch of creator tools. Those are optional.

Because I've read a lot of comments the past few months of people going "i'm not buying a game where I have to create my own levels", thinking that's all LBP is.

And perhaps add the story synopsis:

story said:
Happy that no more demands are being made to him after his successful adventure to return sharing to LittleBigPlanet, it’s all going swimmingly for Sackboy... That is, until a some kind of inter-dimensional, hyper-spatial, 1800 watt Vacuum Cleaner appears in the skies, causing quite the ruckus and sucking Sackboy up into its musty bowels. All jolly sinister and most inconvenient.

Happily, a jolly nice fellow named Larry Da Vinci intervenes and rescues him from what has come to be known as The Sucker. Da Vinci, it turns out, is in charge of “The Alliance”, a semi-secret, semi-organised group devoted to fighting The Sucker before it destroys the whole Cosmos.

Top Bottom