• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Blue Ninja said:
I'm still expecting Todd Howard to pop up during the Microsoft briefing.

I'm hoping that they aren't giving a bunch of timed exclusive crap to the 360 this time around.

MalboroRed said:
Does it? It looks more like LDR + bloom lighting, high dynamic range lighting is pretty easy to spot like in RDR/Uncharted 1+2/Battlefield BC2.

I'm pretty sure it did. Oblivion was a good example of the early overuse of HDR. It was almost blinding to look at something like a sheep at times.

Ploid 3.0

Good thing I'll be having the PC version this time so the 360 snacks wouldn't be able to bother me due to the PC perks (actually the DLC for any of the bethesda games never appealed to me). I really like the hardcore tweaks that mods do.

I can run Oblvion at 1080p 8xAA 60fps on my rig (Intel quad core, 8 GB, GTX 460 1 GB) so even if I have to knock the resolution and AA down on Skyrim, I'm sure it'll still run at 60fps.

Some more minor info, from gaming bolt
http://gamingbolt.com/skyrim-more-details-revealed

Recently some magazine scans surfaced, so we decided to pull out some information for our avid readers. We have got tons of new information, where Bethesda’s Game Director Todd Howard revealed some really exciting new details about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Dragons are going to be a huge part of the game and Todd spills some more details about the same. “The nice thing with Dragons in this is that we can move them around, so we can have the main story hit you wherever you are. And learning the shouts and doing all that really ties in to the main quest. In Oblivion and Fallout there isn’t really a gameplay power reason to do the main quest, but with the shouts you’re like ‘Well those are fun, I’m going to become more of a badass, I’m going to do this quest line”, he said.

The magazine also gives more gameplay details, which are:

* Every NPC would be doing something, instead of just sleeping or chattering
* There will be a cameo from Jonathan Creek
* Throat, one of the places in the game, will require the player to ascend 7,000 steps to reach it’s peak.
* Skyrim’s spells attack will be better than that of Oblivion. They will look immediate and powerful, with the ability to dual wield any combination the player wants.
* Dragonshouts which will slow time will be a new feature in the series. There will be three levels of Dragonshouts. One of them is the Unrelenting Force, which will send people flying.
* The ability to buy houses will return
* Dragons can attack you anywhere.
* Riverwood is the first village you will see
* Wilbur will be your pet that will help you in fights.

CrocMother said:

* Throat, one of the places in the game, will require the player to ascend 7,000 steps to reach it’s peak.
* Skyrim’s spells attack will be better than that of Oblivion. They will look immediate and powerful, with the ability to dual wield any combination the player wants.
* Dragonshouts which will slow time will be a new feature in the series. There will be three levels of Dragonshouts. One of them is the Unrelenting Force, which will send people flying.
EDIT: They based their 'article' on the scans we talked about, but they're just a bit late to the party. They've also got some facts wrong, like the stuff with "Wilbur", which was a joke they literally took from the scanned pages. :lol

The bolded is semi-accurate, the place is actually called "Throat of the World".

CrocMother said:
Some more minor info, from gaming bolt
http://gamingbolt.com/skyrim-more-details-revealed

Recently some magazine scans surfaced, so we decided to pull out some information for our avid readers. We have got tons of new information, where Bethesda’s Game Director Todd Howard revealed some really exciting new details about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Dragons are going to be a huge part of the game and Todd spills some more details about the same. “The nice thing with Dragons in this is that we can move them around, so we can have the main story hit you wherever you are. And learning the shouts and doing all that really ties in to the main quest. In Oblivion and Fallout there isn’t really a gameplay power reason to do the main quest, but with the shouts you’re like ‘Well those are fun, I’m going to become more of a badass, I’m going to do this quest line”, he said.

awesomeness ^__^

momolicious said:
Are they abandoning their PC fans and roots?

Well, Howard recently said that as of late, 90% of their buying audience is on consoles. The statement left some room for interpretation, but it's no surprise that they're making more money on consoles. Everyone is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
VisanidethDM said:
Well, Howard recently said that as of late, 90% of their buying audience is on consoles. The statement left some room for interpretation, but it's no surprise that they're making more money on consoles. Everyone is.
Ugh, that bs comment. Almost makes me want to skip the game.

water_wendi said:

Heck, it could be true. I don't find it very realistical (25% PC 75% Consoles would still raise my eyebrow, but I could buy that, but 1 every 10 seems excessive) but I guess he knows better.

Besides, it's a Bethesda game, and they make the most consistent experiences across platforms. The bugs are ported beautifully :p .

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
VisanidethDM said:
Heck, it could be true. I don't find it very realistical (25% PC 75% Consoles would still raise my eyebrow, but I could buy that, but 1 every 10 seems excessive) but I guess he knows better.
For that number to be true, Oblivion on PC in all of its forms couldnt have sold more than a couple hundred thousand copies. 90% console sales doesnt sound right at all.

Cheech

water_wendi said:

He could also be referring to DLC. I actually find it very easy to believe that Bethesda makes 90% of their gross off consoles.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Now that I've played and finished The Witcher 2, all I need to complete this amazing year is this game. I want some proper footage! E3 needs to come sooner.

Kuran

Banned
Eh... not too sure about the 'Force' Dragon Shout powerups.. :/

And why the hell does an open-ended, free roaming RPG give you only one pet option and already decides the name for it? Wilbur? Wtf.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol @ people complaining about the screenshot with the arm.

That is one of the first screens they released, I'm sure that has been reworked already.

Stahsky

MMaRsu said:
Lol @ people complaining about the screenshot with the arm.

That is one of the first screens they released, I'm sure that has been reworked already.

I'm betting they won't change a thing. And that is a totally acceptable arm for a big game on a console. I just hope they give PC users some proper textures.

Dmax3901

I've also just recently finished The Witcher 2, I have a sudden fear that Skyrim will be underwhelming in comparison, graphically if nothing else.

Ledsen

Stahsky said:
I'm betting they won't change a thing. And that is a totally acceptable arm for a big game on a console. I just hope they give PC users some proper textures.

They've said the PC version will be the same as the console ones.

Durante

Looking at the screenshots in the OP again after playing Witcher 2 significantly reduces their impact. But I guess it's all right for an open world game.

Blue Ninja said:
Another joke. It was referring to a screenshot with a dragon, and the magazine jokingly called him "Wilbur, your pet bat".
Well that's disappointing. I would have actually liked companion pets to help you fight like dogs or hawks or dragons.

JoeBoy101

Ledsen said:
They've said the PC version will be the same as the console ones.

Except for higher resolutions and better textures. Which, for a game like this, I'm cool with if it doesn't have all the DX11 bells and whistles. Shit, I'll force AF and AA through the card if I have to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JoeBoy101 said:
Except for higher resolutions and better textures. Which, for a game like this, I'm cool with if it doesn't have all the DX11 bells and whistles. Shit, I'll force AF and AA through the card if I have to.

He means that the source assets will be identical, and he would be right. On the PC you're not going to see "better textures" per se, just better texture quality.

Give the game a few months in the wild and you'll have a worthwhile texture mod.

Stahsky

JoeBoy101 said:

That is all I ask for. The game looks plenty good, though. Don't forget to take in just how large the game is in comparison to The Witcher 2.

JoeBoy101

JaseC said:
He means that the source assets will be identical, and he would be right. On the PC you're not going to see "better textures" per se, just better texture quality.

Give the game a few months in the wild and you'll have a worthwhile texture mod.

*shrugs* I don't think the arm looks that bad, and I'm cool with it even if its just better texture quality.

Top Bottom