• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire causing older PS3s (fw 3.61), XB360s, to overheat/freeze; patch coming

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
lucius said:
I think LA Noire is the loudest game I have on PS3 maybe Uncharted 2 coming close.

BTW what was the known Heavy Rain problem? I played that a couple days ago and I did get a freeze in it playing it all the way through.

I just started playing God of War 3 today on a 1 month old PS3 slim, and its even worse than Uncharted 2. But other than GoW3 and Uncharted 2, the ps3 runs pretty quiet.

I'm guessing Sony hasn't confirmed this yet right? I've got a 40 gig phat and now I don't know what to do. Thankfully, I've been too lazy to download the new firmware update. I was going to do it this weekend to get the welcome back free games. I'm worried now too because I was deadset on getting LA Noire for PS3. I guess I could get it for 360, but I'm not sure. I'm on my second and for awhile I suspected their was something wrong with the cooling fans. My near entire playthrough of brotherhood it sounded like a jet plane trying to take off. It stopped doing that a month or two ago, but I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. Neither system is under warranty. I was going to pick up The Witcher 2 after LA Noire, but I may buy that first now.

i have a warranty on my 360S so i still wish i had gotten it on that console. my PS3 is a full HW capable console and i'd be super sad if it died.

maybe i'll just hold off on playing. lord knows i've got tons of unfinished games to play lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
GillianSeed79 said:
I'm guessing Sony hasn't confirmed this yet right? I've got a 40 gig phat and now I don't know what to do. Thankfully, I've been too lazy to download the new firmware update. I was going to do it this weekend to get the welcome back free games. I'm worried now too because I was deadset on getting LA Noire for PS3. I guess I could get it for 360, but I'm not sure. I'm on my second and for awhile I suspected their was something wrong with the cooling fans. My near entire playthrough of brotherhood it sounded like a jet plane trying to take off. It stopped doing that a month or two ago, but I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. Neither system is under warranty. I was going to pick up The Witcher 2 after LA Noire, but I may buy that first now.

You haven't bothered to change your password yet?

Zoe

lucius said:
BTW what was the known Heavy Rain problem? I played that a couple days ago and I did get a freeze in it playing it all the way through.

I got a freeze once or twice, but I was able to complete a full playthrough with my 60GB.

Zoe

acidspunk said:
seriously guys who gives a shit about which version has more people complaining. I just wanna know for sure if playing it will harm my 360 or not.

Just like any other game that pushes the systems, if yours is approaching the end of its life, this will probably push it over the edge.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was going to pick this up after lecture tomorrow. I guess I could wait a bit, but it's May Two-Four weekend and my friends say this game is amazing. :(

I have an 80 GB Motorstorm BC PS3 and it goes into overdrive mode for GoW3 and Uncharted 2 (and Hyperdimension Neptunia for some reason). I didn't notice it much during FF13, Vesperia or Graces, though. One of my friends said his PS3 just gets hotter than normal while playing LA Noire, but it hasn't overheated. Perhaps I should be cautious...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
acidspunk said:
seriously guys who gives a shit about which version has more people complaining. I just wanna know for sure if playing it will harm my 360 or not.

Unlike the issues w/ the PS3, where its pretty much been narrowed down to the old phat models (and they supposedly have to have 3.61 firmware installed), on the X360 side, it isn't narrowed down.

All we know right now is the 360 is freezing. No one can confirm if "freezing" means "the code is a piece of crap, so it'll just lock up for no reason", or if "freezing" means "we're making your 360 REAAAAAALLY hot right now, but not enough to shut the sucker down". Obviously, if its the 2nd reason, yeah, it could harm the 360. But like I said, we have no idea.

- J - D -

FUCK this paranoia shit, I'm going to go play L.A. Noire right now. My 60gb has been chugging along with me for 4 years now, through dozens of marathon sessions.

I suppose it shouldn't be too bad if I just play for just 30 minutes...

bumpkin

The commentary in this thread had me pretty sketched out about playing the game on PS3, but I threw caution to the wind and popped it in. I played the game for a little over three hours and didn't have any problems. For reference, I have the 80GB PS3 from the Motorstorm bundle, and I have installed the post-hack firmware (3.61?).

Really the only claim I can substantiate is that the fans were going full-steam, but they did the same thing when I played through GOW3 and Uncharted 2 if memory serves me. My PS3 is warm to the touch, but not "hot".

Used-ID

Dark Schala said:
I was going to pick this up after lecture tomorrow. I guess I could wait a bit, but it's May Two-Four weekend and my friends say this game is amazing. :(

I have an 80 GB Motorstorm BC PS3 and it goes into overdrive mode for GoW3 and Uncharted 2 (and Hyperdimension Neptunia for some reason). I didn't notice it much during FF13, Vesperia or Graces, though. One of my friends said his PS3 just gets hotter than normal while playing LA Noire, but it hasn't overheated. Perhaps I should be cautious...

My launch-day 60GB US model barely uses the fan at all for Hyperdimension Neptunia, so if your PS3 kicks up it's fan.... I'd vacuum the vents on it el-pronto like.

I'm always surprised that every firmware update / big game a story/lie/FUD/issues pop up.
I'm always more surprised that people feed into them.

I'm paranoid to the point that I turned on Remote-Play on my PS3 simply to keep the fan running once I turn the PS3 'off' after I use it. In my mind it helps the board / chipset cool a tad more evenly and quicker than just shutting the PS3 off and letting the remaining heat slowly leak out of the case.

For what it's worth I'm on my PS3 in some form or fashion 3-4 hours straight a day. And really haven't had any issues with it ever. (friend-list me if you want to time it yourself)

Zoe

Used-ID said:
My launch-day 60GB US model barely uses the fan at all for Hyperdimension Neptunia, so if your PS3 kicks up it's fan.... I'd vacuum the vents on it el-pronto like.

Dust isn't the only issue though... when we cracked open mine after it got the YLOD there was hardly any dust. The paste was all dried up though.

(still not sure that's what really did it in cause I didn't see any scorch marks like the tutorial suggests)

rapid32.5

JDSN said:
I might be late on this but man, fuck this gen.
lol. agree, so many F-Ups you can make an episodic series. Glad I'm a bit tight on cash this month, so I avoided buying the game on day one. Looking as things are going, I might skip PS3 version in favor for 360 version to avoid putting extra strain on my PS3 slim lens. All these loud disc spins, level 3 fan stories unsettle me, especially, after my 60gb died recently.

Snipes424

A little bit off topic, but what's the best vacuum to use for getting dust out of the PS3? I mean we are talking a little handhold one right?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Snipes424 said:
A little bit off topic, but what's the best vacuum to use for getting dust out of the PS3? I mean we are talking a little handhold one right?

when i get dust on my shirt i put it in the dryer. it comes off.

i'm not saying you should put your ps3 in the dryer, but i'm not saying you shouldn't either.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Truespeed said:
Okay, I think mine are fine now. I've encased the PS3 slim and 360 S in a snuggie sarcophagus.

You're doing it RITE.jpg

Used-ID said:
I'm always surprised that every firmware update / big game a story/lie/FUD/issues pop up.
I'm always more surprised that people feed into them.

I'm feeding into it because my PS3 was fine for the two weeks of heavy GoWing I did to platinum it while PSN was down. Firmware update to 3.61, 12 hours later, death. Either I have extremely ironic/shitty luck, or the firmware killed my Phat 80gig (which is what was mentioned in Rockstars support article along with 60 gigs). It's too much of a close-timing thing for me not to some-what-credit it.

Also Sony got back to me: Tough titty, pay us $150 to get your Portal 2 disc out and lose your SSF4 save. Fuck that, I sent them a long ass rant and asked if the Firmware update may have caused my PS3's death, if it did I should get a free repair/replacement out of it as it wasn't my fault for their update killing my PS3 when it was needed to play on PSN. >:|

(However, they did let me know they can nuke DRM slots if needed. GEE THAT'S NICE SONY. WHY NOT PUT THAT IN A USER-ABLE AREA FOR ME TO USE MYSELF INSTEAD OF HASSLING SUPPORT!?

Once they get back to me with "haha, no, really, pay us $150 bitch." I'll start into nuking my PSN store DRM slots for the PS3. I ain't having dead systems take up space on it.)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Snipes424 said:

Like a PC, if you're going to use a vac to clean up a PS3, you want to use a non-static vac. Regular vacs can generate static electricity.

Static electricity = Not Good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Used-ID said:
Yep, just did that (and then my mum made me vacuum nearly everywhere in the house ("You're vacuuming? Can you vacuum the living room and stairs?")). I usually vacuumed it every few months, but I guess school made me lose track of time and it hadn't been vacuumed in a while. Edit: Totally worked out! Eff yeah. I thought it was peculiar that the fan didn't kick in a ton during Nier, but it kicked in on Neptunia.

Honestly, I mostly use my PS3 for 3-4 hours at a time on the weekend. It usually gets 'warm', not hot, and it has a *lot* of room to breathe.

But with that said, I'm pretty paranoid about my PS3. I back up my PS3 every month on an external. Back up all the saves on the external; and if I'm currently playing a game, when I finish for the time being, I back up the saves (I keep multiple saves) on a USB stick. Then I eject the disc before turning off the PS3. More work, but like I said, I'm quite paranoid about it.

You don't want to use a huge hulking vacuum like you do with floors, lol! Low powered vacuums and hand vacuums are fine. Non-static, of course, is preferred. I wouldn't vacuum right close up to the vents, either. A little bit away. Make sure the system is turned off and unplugged.

Sony Knowledge Center said:
Exterior & Vents
If the exterior of the system becomes dirty, use a soft, dry cloth. Do not use solvents or other chemicals or a chemically-treated dust cloth to clean the system. When dust accumulates in the system vents, remove the dust with a low-powered vacuum cleaner or a small handheld vacuum.
Source

Pezking

I have a 60GB-PS3 with BC.

I haven't been online since the PSN went back up again.

Should I be save if I don't update the firmware before playing "L.A. Noire"?

Fjordson

saunderez said:
You'll be fine. Issues with the 360 version are nowhere near as common as the PS3 version. If the game hasn't packed it in yet after 12 hours you haven't got anything to worry about.
Hmm. I guess so. Still a bit worried, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pezking said:
Should I be save if I don't update the firmware before playing "L.A. Noire"?

We don't know. Rockstar says it's the firmware update (I'd believe them with my shitty timing, so I'm slightly paranoid because of it). They retract the statement since 360 version of Noire is having issues/overheating(?) as well. But there is still hints that the firmware is the issue.

In any case, if you can play it at 3.60 and your fan doesn't kick on in five minutes of play and your PS3 isn't as hot as an oven to the touch under the grill, you're fine (for now).

I'd say if you have LA Noire and haven't updated, still don't play it if you're on 80/60gig phats. Not until a patch for 3.61 or LA Noire happens and they confirm the issue is no more.

Pezking

TheSeks said:
We don't know. Rockstar says it's the firmware update (I'd believe them with my shitty timing, so I'm slightly paranoid because of it). They retract the statement since 360 version of Noire is having issues/overheating(?) as well. But there is still hints that the firmware is the issue.

In any case, if you can play it at 3.60 and your fan doesn't kick on in five minutes of play and your PS3 isn't as hot as an oven to the touch under the grill, you're fine (for now).

I'd say if you have LA Noire and haven't updated, still don't play it if you're on 80/60gig phats. Not until a patch for 3.61 or LA Noire happens and they confirm the issue is no more.

Thanks. I should get the game today or tomorrow. I won't update my system and will listen carefully how loud the fan gets after a short time of playing.

zlatko

Banned
Fuck me if I'm risking my PS3 to play LA Noire. Not going to chance my 360 over heating either.

I'll just play Witcher 2 until this shit gets solved....

Evlar

Banned
BannedEpisode said:
Glad I upgraded to a slim earlier this year because I have been playing the mess out of Noire for the last two days.

Hopefully the issue is not as wide spread as it seems.
I have been too... on my 60 gig.

rapid32.5 said:
lol. agree, so many F-Ups you can make an episodic series. Glad I'm a bit tight on cash this month, so I avoided buying the game on day one. Looking as things are going, I might skip PS3 version in favor for 360 version to avoid putting extra strain on my PS3 slim lens. All these loud disc spins, level 3 fan stories unsettle me, especially, after my 60gb died recently.

Is there some special reason why the PS3 Slim lens needs extra babying? I thought the 20GB/60GB/some 80GB Phat consoles (the ones that only had one lens instead of two) were the ones at greater risk of failure....

saunderez said:
You'll be fine. Issues with the 360 version are nowhere near as common as the PS3 version.

Anyone has a source/other pages to back this claim?
The support article on rock* seems to have more posts regarding the 360 right now.
Anyone has links to any actual thread/forums with actual PS3 users suffered with the issue?

Insaniac

Can anyone help me distinguish between the options of "Doubt" and "Lie" ???

Besides looking at the facial expressions I try to go by what the person says, and I choose lie If I think its an outright lie, and doubt if they are holding back information, but sometimes its hard to tell.

edit: on second thought, should I only choose lie If i have definitive proof?

legbone

Insaniac said:
Can anyone help me distinguish between the options of "Doubt" and "Lie" ???

Besides looking at the facial expressions I try to go by what the person says, and I choose lie If I think its an outright lie, and doubt if they are holding back information, but sometimes its hard to tell.

edit: on second thought, should I only choose lie If i have definitive proof?

yep. you got it. only choose lie if you have evidence.

kitch9

Banned
I would have thought at some point during the PS3's QA testing, Sony would have had the PS3 in a warm environment with a program running that simultaneously fired every single transistor and moving part up in the thing to maximise its heat output to check it could handle that over long periods.

Are Rockstar trying to imply their program does more than that?

Gomu Gomu

Vamphuntr said:
QA have been disappoiting for many games lately. DA II, Brink and now L.A. Noire. It seems developers and publishers are not scared that releasing something in a poor state will affect their image and brand.
Yeah. QA costs money and, more importantly, time. I think delaying a game to do more robust QA is out of the question. Also, why waste time & money on additional QA testers, when you can make the whole world test your game for you, and actually pay you $60 to do so.
Them with proper feedback, you can fix and update/patch the game easily.

This is the generation of console with the worst hardware in history. I really hope that Sony and MS put a lot more effort into the basics of hardware design next generation, because Jesus Fucking Christ Lightly Roasted On A Kebab, everything is ridiculous this generation when it comes to hardware performance and reliability.

What exactly are certain old models?

I have a CHECHL04 Singstar bundle PS3 - according to Wikipedia those use ~117Watt power. Then there are earlier models using 150/190 Watt where I could imagine that during a lot of playing (new game) and the age (lot of dust probably) the PS3 could overheat. Especially when the airflow is limited eg. encased PS3.

I sure do feel good to see people testing these horrible flaws for me before I buy. :>

But naw, I'm just waiting for the price to drop. It's sad to see how such an annoying bug would be allowed to slip through.

Tr4nce

Oh damnit. I just updated my launch 60 GB PS3 with the latest firmware, then I visit GAF and see this tread. Is there anyone here who can, without bullshitting me please, can tell me if my PS3 will have trouble, if I say that I have never ever had a problem yet? Not with GTAIV, not with Red Dead Redemption, etc. etc.?

It's weird, normally I don't give a rat's ass about these kind of stories, but this time it's different.

Fjordson

Two and a half more hours on L.A. Noire with my 360 and no problems *knock on wood*. I may be tempting fate a bit too much, though.

Jesus fucking christ.

If I went back in time and said 'in the future consoles will need to be babied and not played too hard when new games come out', past me would punch me in the face for being a liar.

Pyccko

Weird, I've played like 13 hours of LA Noire on my 60gig with no problems whatsoever.
Think I'll hold off on anymore until the patch just in case.

Hanmik

Tr4nce said:
Oh damnit. I just updated my launch 60 GB PS3 with the latest firmware, then I visit GAF and see this tread. Is there anyone here who can, without bullshitting me please, can tell me if my PS3 will have trouble, if I say that I have never ever had a problem yet? Not with GTAIV, not with Red Dead Redemption, etc. etc.?

It's weird, normally I don't give a rat's ass about these kind of stories, but this time it's different.

I have finished GTAIV, RDR and tons of other games (and lots and lots of online time in MW1 and MW2).. and my 60Gb survived the onslaught..

It has nothing to do with the games.. I have lost two 60Gb EU BC PS3´s to YLOD. The first one broke down while I was doing nothing. The ps3 was just turned on to download some stuff from the Store and a controller was being charged. When I returned to it 1½ hour later it was dead.. The next died during PSN downtime while I was playing Tomb Raider Legend (the tomb raider trilogy edition). The reason they broke is because of bad paste on some parts of the motherboard. It´s just some bad work on the internal parts of the first batch of PS3´s. But as long as you make sure your PS3´s are dustfree and don´t stand in tight cramped hot places, you should be allright. Both mine where dust free, but they where situated close to a radiator that My dear wife turned on and off all the time..

LA Noir might be causing the Machine to work a little harder (like most games with good graphics and constant streaming).. but when a game like Tomb raider Legend can cause YLOD, then it sounds highly unlikely that it is the games that is causing it..

Unknown Soldier said:
This is the generation of console with the worst hardware in history. I really hope that Sony and MS put a lot more effort into the basics of hardware design next generation, because Jesus Fucking Christ Lightly Roasted On A Kebab, everything is ridiculous this generation when it comes to hardware performance and reliability.

As long as they don't try to go balls-to-the-wall on horsepower, it should be easy for them to keep the box temp under control. It's that desire to be super-cutting-edge that does them in for reliability.

Tr4nce

Hanmik said:
I have finished GTAIV, RDR and tons of other games (and lots and lots of online time in MW1 and MW2).. and my 60Gb survived the onslaught..

It has nothing to do with the games.. I have lost two 60Gb EU BC PS3´s to YLOD. The first one broke down while I was doing nothing. The ps3 was just turned on to download some stuff from the Store and a controller was being charged. When I returned to it 1½ hour later it was dead.. The next died during PSN downtime while I was playing Tomb Raider Legend (the tomb raider trilogy edition). The reason they broke is because of bad paste on some parts of the motherboard. It´s just some bad work on the internal parts of the first batch of PS3´s. But as long as you make sure your PS3´s are dustfree and don´t stand in tight cramped hot places, you should be allright. Both mine where dust free, but they where situated close to a radiator that My dear wife turned on and off all the time..

LA Noir might be causing the Machine to work a little harder (like most games with good graphics and constant streaming).. but when a game like Tomb raider Legend can cause YLOD, then it sounds highly unlikely that it is the games that is causing it..

Yep, I agree. Thanks for your opinion. Guess I'll just have to try and see. I trust my little big friend will be fine. :)

Top Bottom