• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Ships Over 2 Million Copies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is quite impressive.

IndustryGamers said:
Dead Island has seen mixed, but mostly favorable reviews since its release on September 6, and the game is clearly getting noticed as publisher Deep Silver today announced that it's shipped over 1 million units of Techland's zombie invasion title in North America in the first week alone.

Deep Silver also noted that Dead Island "has held the #1 chart position in many global markets including the UK and France as well as on Steam, and will have sold 2 million units globally to retailers by the end of this week."

“We’re thrilled at the retail reception Dead Island has achieved in its first few days,” said Geoff Mulligan, Chief Operating Officer at Deep Silver, “The critical ‘first week’ of game sales has been an enormous sales success for Deep Silver. We’re working quickly with our distribution partner in North America, Square Enix, to restock shelves as quickly as we can.”

"With more than a million copies sold, I feel good knowing that the world is now more prepared than ever for what to do should a real zombie invasion ever threaten humanity." said Mike Fischer, president and CEO of Square Enix, Inc.
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...million-units-in-first-week-in-north-america/

Orayn

Whoa whoa whoa. This is like... Homefront type numbers, but with less of a critical bellyflop. Nice! A friend of mine and chatter on /v/ gave me the impression that the game was a total trainwreck, but I guess it managed to do pretty well.

Momo

Banned
Off topic, but is this safe to buy yet? No game breaking bugs etc? My questions keep getting drowned out in the OT.

Console or PC works for me.

Wow, I didn't think it would even hit 1 million. Well done, Techland...now just patch it, please!

Momo said:
Off topic, but is this safe to buy yet? No game breaking bugs etc? My questions keep getting drowned out in the OT.

Console or PC works for me.

I've been playing on 360, and it's fine. There's just a few annoyances/bugs I want patched.

I like the idea behind Dead Island, I'm glad it did well so they can make a sequel that fixes everything people didn't like i the first game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Anecdotal but I was in two Gamestops the other day (I know, the horror) and both of them were completely sold out of 360 Dead Islands and one was completely sold out of PS3 copies too.

Honestly surprised this game has been a huge hit. Nothing against the quality of the game but I didn't think there was still a big market for this kind of game. I am pleasantly surprised.

Fix a few things... but the only game I am playing as much as I played Deus is this...

I have not played a game this long in a LONG time... probaby since dead rising 2... but I beat that in like 8 hours.......... I put 49 hours into deus and 30 into dead island so far.

I love the game! Fix the issues and make DLC and ill buy.

adelante

lol zombie invasion. love the press statement. Im about 38% into the game's main story wiith three other friends and we've put in bout 15hours so far, maybe more. Best gaming value this year by far (cos of the co-op factor)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
hahahaha

a B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

People's tastes are pathetic. Nobody should whine that we get shitty mass produced games.

I'm not talking about Dead Island, I heard it's good, I'll buy it but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex. I bet people bought it because there are zombies!!!!!

Nelo Ice

Banned
so now that the games doing well, what reward are us pc players getting for them releasing the dev version at launch?

subversus said:
hahahaha

a B-rated zombie game (new IP btw) ships the same quantity as the critically acclaimed, polished and just great sequel to one of the most famous franchises.

People's tastes are pathetic. Nobody should whine that we get shitty mass produced games.

I'm not talking about Dead Island, I heard it's good, I'll buy it but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as Deus Ex. I bet people bought it because there are zombies!!!!!
I just hope it works for Dead State as well!

nomis

subversus said:
hahahaha

Wait, are you trying to tell me that people purchase things based on their theme?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
omnomis said:
Wait, are you trying to tell me that people purchase things based on their theme?

yes, unfortunately. not a rocket science, I know.

Danne-Danger said:
I just hope it works for Dead State as well!

don't think so, it's on PC. Different audiences and mindsets. Even though Dead Island in #1 on Steam currently it peaks at 3 times less number than Deus Ex, this means that Deus Ex sold 3 times better on PC (about 500 000 - 700 000 copies) Only gameplay will save Dead State.

JDSN

Banned
The themes, feeling and mechanics of the game have tons of appeal to me, shame it feels so unfinished ....and that after playing it for 45 minutes it brought back my kinetosis. :(

It is very good that it sold so well, this will ensure some much needed patches and tweaks. It is a great game but rough aroudn the edges. I am happy now that this will be fixed since the game has a host of fans (unlike other "rough" games that have been left to die because of bad sales).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Heart Attack said:
I guess any game with zombies will sell.

Open world cooperative zombie game with loot and RPG mechanics. Yeah, just anyyyy old game with zombies slapped on!

Papercuts said:
Open world cooperative zombie game with loot and RPG mechanics. Yeah, just anyyyy old game with zombies slapped on!
It's basically just Left 4 Dead meets Borderlands meets Dead Rising meets Dark Messiah of Might and Magic meets Diablo meets Just Cause meets...

Phonomezer said:
There aren't many... Dead Rising, Left4Dead... are there more than that?

He's probably not referring to zombie-based games, but rather games with zombies in them.

Black Ops, Red Dead, etc.

daviyoung

Banned
Phonomezer said:
There aren't many... Dead Rising, Left4Dead... are there more than that?

Plants vs Zombies
House of the Dead
Resident Evil
Undead Nightmare
Stubbs The Zombie
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
Burn Zombie Burn
Zombie Driver
Blood Drive
Call of Duty WaW and BLOPS

abracadaver

I hope this means there will be more zombie games in the future

Dead Island is the best zombie game so far. Followed by Dead Rising (1)

legend166

Didn't we hear the same thing about Deus Ex? And it sold 240k in the US.

I really think these launch shipment numbers are based more on how well the publisher can hype up the game to the retailers.

Ledsen

subversus said:
hahahaha

So you're an elitist asshole, now we know. Thanks! And you haven't even played the game.

For the record, I'm having more fun with Dead Island in co-op than Deus Ex.

daviyoung

Banned
Phonomezer said:
Really? Grasping at straws there.

Why? That's a whole lot of zombie games. Most this generation. Then there's every 3rd title released for XBLIG. Maybe you're under-estimating how popular something as throwaway as the CoD zombie mode was.

Ledsen said:
So you're an elitist asshole, now we know. Thanks! And you haven't even played the game.

For the record, I'm having more fun with Dead Island in co-op than Deus Ex.

Oh wow, I didn't even see that.

Acheteedo

As Borderlands proved, people are hungry for online co-op, open world, first person games. It's hardly surprising that borderlands with zombies is a success. Helps that the game is a joy to play.

Card Boy

Banned
subversus said:
hahahaha

Good for you, how about you play the game and then post next time?

SonicBoom

Played over my buddies roomate and I'm so happy this game is getting the hype + sales.... It sure does deserve it. Way to go Techland :D

Got pre-orders on Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

If I find extra cash I'm definitely getting Dead Island & Dark Souls

Top Bottom