• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Breaking Bug in Skyward Sword (spoiler-free version)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is a game breaking bug in Skyward Sword, which if triggered prevents certain events from taking place, making it impossible for you to progress to the end of the game. It is not yet known exactly what causes the bug, but this is what seems to be the safest course of action to avoid it (no spoilers, just vague hints).

At one point late in the game you will be tasked with visiting each of the areas down on the surface to get one part of something from each of them. You are free to do them in any order (unlike earlier in the game, when you are also visiting each of them for something), but if you choose to do certain areas last you might find yourself stuck as crucial events refuse to happen. Many people have done them in the "wrong" order without issue - just the simple act of doing this does not cause the bug - while others (like myself) have found themselves unable to progress through the game. It seems clear that the bug is caused by a combination of doing certain areas last and some other unknown factors. Anyway, thus far nobody has reported the bug happening when doing Lanayru last, so this seems to be the safest way to do it.

That is all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for posting this (ie: the spoiler-free version). I was going to do this part in the order in which you went through the areas in the first part of the game anyway, but it really sucks that something like this got through.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Question: how prevalent is this bug? Does it happen in every game? 10% of games? Half the time?

It seems to be very rare. Just doing the areas in the "wrong" order will not necessarily trigger it; many have done so without any issue. For me, it did trigger the bug, and I am now stuck. So, it seems like the bug is caused by a combination of doing this and some other unknown factors. Anyway, thus far nobody has reported the bug happening if you do Lanayru last, which is why this seems to be the safest way to do it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Question: how prevalent is this bug? Does it happen in every game? 10% of games? Half the time?
It seems to be quite random and it's not clear what exactly is triggering it. I'm quite sure a friend of mine didn't do Lanayru last (I followed the same order you visit them first instead), but didn't have problems anyway.
Still, saving the game after dungeon
, and possibly posting your save (PAL or NTSC) online, might be the sensible thing to do, just to be safe and to help the ones affected by the bug.

Nakasan

Getting this game for xmas. Thank you very much for this spoiler free version. Bookmarked for when the day and need arises.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just to be safe I'm going to copy my file right now, since I'm right before the branch where you pick the
dragons

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hopefully Nintendo will have a patch out soon.

Wii games can't be patched (unless they're explicitly made with that functionality in mind, which no Nintendo game has ever been as far as I know).

Just to be safe I'm going to copy my file right now, since I'm right before the branch where you
pick the dragons...

Come on, spoiler-tag that! I made this thread specifically to be a spoiler-free version of the original one.

heyf00L

Thanks for the spoiler free post, it's clear enough.

You could also edit in a suggestion to back up your save to SD every so often maybe. I'll be doing that for sure.

I hope when Nintendo figure it out (not so much the cause but rather how to cure a save) they have a website where you upload your save and get e-mailed back a working save in a few hours. None of this "send in your SD card and we'll see what we can in 2-4 weeks" that they did for Other M.

Duki

Banned
tell us what order you did them in so that we know not to follow your footsteps

like, without spoiling it lol

if thats even possible

i dont want to have to read the other thread :(

robot

I got hit by a game breaking bug in Metroid Other M, luckily someone uploaded a save on Gamefaqs that was right after the bugged area. Hopefully the same will happen here.

fernoca

tell us what order you did them in so that we know not to follow your footsteps

like, without spoiling it lol

if thats even possible

i dont want to have to read the other thread :(
The easiest/spoiler-free way is...basically, go to Faron first. :p
Or use the same order in which you usually visit them:
Faron, Eldin, Lanayru (hope the names or order are not "spoilers" too :p)

I did:
-Faron
-Lanayru
-Eldin
Without problems.

At the same time, many that have tried to replicate the bug, doing the same order (Lanayru first)..didn't got any problems. So, what's why some say it is unknown what triggers it. For all we know; it could be just a specific line of dialog.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I did:
-Faron
-Lanayru
-Eldin
Without problems.

...and I did it in that exact order and now have a broken game.

Like I said, the order you do them in doesn't trigger the bug. Something else, possibly completely unrelated, does. Or a combination of the order you do them in and something else does. However, once it has been triggered (which you won't know, since there no indication whatsoever that anything is wrong), doing Lanayru last might save you. Why do I think that? Firstly, because nobody has reported the bug happening when doing Lanayru last. Secondly, because the Lanayru part doesn't have the same kind of cutscene/event taking place when you land there that the others do (this is what fails to happen if the bug has been triggered).

Kai

I don't understand how this is possible - let me explain
When I tried to go to the Faron Woods first to get the first song piece - it wouldn't let me warp to any place but the sealed grounds because of what Fi describes as a "phenomenon" - which we know is the flooding.

Then I went to the fire area - and nothing happened or triggered - I looked around for a while - so since nothing happened I went to the Desert and remembered that the Goron in the cave was talking about the 3 dragons - so went there first and then bam - went straight to the gorge area. Then since I needed the seedling - I went back to the sealed grounds - and it triggered the imprisoned fight - so then did that - planted the tree and completed the gorge requirement then went back to Faron woods - which was now open to be explored but flooded. Then the fire area.

I dont understand how else you could do it - it never gave me a choice...

This topic just made me realize the 3 provinces are named after the 3 Zelda gods. How did I not see that before, holy shit!

Anyways, thanks for the info. I think I'm reaching this part of the game, so I'll make a backup save as well

Think they'll do a recall and give people bug-free copies like they did with the EU version of Super Paper Mario and that damned key glitch?

RagnarokX

I don't understand how this is possible - let me explain
When I tried to go to the Faron Woods first to get the first song piece - it wouldn't let me warp to any place but the sealed grounds because of what Fi describes as a "phenomenon" - which we know is the flooding.

Then I went to the fire area - and nothing happened or triggered - I looked around for a while - so since nothing happened I went to the Desert and remembered that the Goron in the cave was talking about the 3 dragons - so went there first and then bam - went straight to the gorge area. Then since I needed the seedling - I went back to the sealed grounds - and it triggered the imprisoned fight - so then did that - planted the tree and completed the gorge requirement then went back to Faron woods - which was now open to be explored but flooded. Then the fire area.

I dont understand how else you could do it - it never gave me a choice...

The Imprisoned fight triggers as soon as you enter the Sealed Grounds crater area and is only necessary for doing Faron. You don't have to go to Lanayru first. You don't even have to fight the Imprisoned to do Lanayru, just land behind the temple.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So basically the thread is to let people know there's a bug in which no one knows how to avoid it......fantastic.

No, it's to let people know that doing Lanayru last doesn't seem to break the game, which doing one of the others last does if the glitch has been triggered. But no, we don't know what actually causes the bug in the first place.

My order was Forest -> Volcano -> Desert. I had no problems.

A buddy of mine though is seriously pissed that this bug happened to him.

Think they'll do a recall and give people bug-free copies like they did with the EU version of Super Paper Mario and that damned key glitch?

Huh? I don't recall any key glitch in SPM and I have a PAL launch copy. Where exactly does this glitch occur?

Hopefully Nintendo will have a patch out soon.
Blackdude1.gif

Wii games can't be patched
Blackdude2.gif

Post of the day, seriously.
Blackdude3.gif

Neki

My order was Forest -> Volcano -> Desert. I had no problems.

A buddy of mine though is seriously pissed that this bug happened to him.

Huh? I don't recall any key glitch in SPM and I have a PAL launch copy. Where exactly does this glitch occur?

I wasn't even aware there was a different order.

Definitely bookmarking this thread for when I start playing. That's really unfortunate, and it only makes me appreciate the ability to send out patches on other platforms even more.

Let's hope there aren't others to follow...

Top Bottom