• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Breaking Bug in Skyward Sword (spoiler-free version)

domlolz

Banned
Blackdude1.gif

Blackdude2.gif

Blackdude3.gif

kewl gifs

I saw the "spoiler thread" title and didn't click cause i jut began the game so thanks so much OP for the spoiler free thread.

guess i'll make two back up files when i get to that point, you can still copy a save to different ones right, i assume yes.

ultron87

So what number dungeon does this occur after? Put it in a spoiler tag please in case people are sensitive about how many there are.

fernoca

guess i'll make two back up files when i get to that point, you can still copy a save to different ones right, i assume yes.
Yeah, you have 3 save slots and can copy between them.

Though as noted, Wii games can be patched...just that this game doesn't have the "hooks" for it. It's a "wonky" patch process since the game needs to be online-enabled; but still...something. :p

Though yeah, was really weird playing a Wii game and get this message:

fQwsR.png

:p

So what number dungeon does this occur after? Put it in a spoiler tag please in case people are sensitive about how many there are.
It's after all dungeons. You'll be asked to look for "a few things". And there's where the problems seems to be "triggered". Since it is not known what triggers it. You can look for those things in any specific order; but seems that some of the orders are more prompt to trigger the bug than others.

Smellycat

Wow, thanks a lot for the warning. I will make sure to visit that area last. It is a good thing anyways, I love visiting Lanayru. Those
timeshift crystals
are simple awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
Thanks for the warning. I only just started having played for 3 hours so far and haven't gotten to the first dungeon yet. (What's up with that trend? Did it always take this long to get to the first dungeon? I know TP did it too. Geeze.)

i did faron, eldin, and then lanaryu. no problems at all. i didnt realize that lanaryu was supposed to be second?

also, faron was by FAR the worst of the three imo. im sure multiple people will agree with me here.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
So i did the Woods then the Volcano. Just came to Lanayru and it didnt stick me to a certain place coming in like the other two. is that normal?

fernoca

So i did the Woods then the Volcano. Just came to Lanayru and it didnt stick me to a certain place coming in like the other two. is that normal?
Yeah. For Lanayru you have to..well, keep in mind what another character said earlier. :p

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Yeah. For Lanayru you have to..well, keep in mind what another character said earlier. :p

ah ok. i read this before i started the Eldin but after i started the Faore so when things didnt go like they did the first two times it had me scared.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yeah, you have 3 save slots and can copy between them.

Though as noted, Wii games can be patched...just that this game doesn't have the "hooks" for it. It's a "wonky" patch process since the game needs to be online-enabled; but still...something. :p

Though yeah, was really weird playing a Wii game and get this message:

http://i.imgur.com/fQwsR.png[/IM G]

:p

It's after all dungeons. You'll be asked to look for "a few things". And there's where the problems seems to be "triggered". Since it is not known what triggers it. You can look for those things in any specific order; but seems that some of the orders are more prompt to trigger the bug than others.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has "patched" games before through firmware updates

masterkajo

When saving in SS (haven't played it yet due to exams coming up) can you choose one of the 3 slots? If so would e.g.: saving on the first then after the bug on the second let me go back to the first save and try a different order so to not trigger the bug? Or would it break the whole save games and I have to back up using a SD card?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Quoting myself from earlier:
It seems to be quite random and it's not clear what exactly is triggering it. I'm quite sure a friend of mine didn't do Lanayru last (I followed the same order you visit them first instead), but didn't have problems anyway.
Still, saving the game after dungeon
, and possibly posting your save (PAL or NTSC) online, might be the sensible thing to do, just to be safe and to help the ones affected by the bug.

EDIT:
When saving in SS (haven't played it yet due to exams coming up) can you choose one of the 3 slots? If so would e.g.: saving on the first then after the bug on the second let me go back to the first save and try a different order so to not trigger the bug? Or would it break the whole save games and I have to back up using a SD card?
You save automatically on the same slot you were using. You can copy your save to a different slot from the main menu, though.

zigg

...doing Lanayru last might save you. Why do I think that? Firstly, because nobody has reported the bug happening when doing Lanayru last. Secondly, because the Lanayru part doesn't have the same kind of cutscene/event taking place when you land there that the others do (this is what fails to happen if the bug has been triggered).
It struck me that it also might simply be that people who do Lanayru last are people who are most comfortable with doing things "in the proper order" and as such there's a much lower incidence of that sort of player running into a bug triggered by some other "improper" way of doing things—in other words, something else entirely.

Sleep tight. ;)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thanks a lot for this! I was planning on doing Lanayru last too -_-. Saved my ass friend.

You should do Lanayru last.

i did faron, eldin, and then lanaryu. no problems at all. i didnt realize that lanaryu was supposed to be second?

What do you mean "supposed to be second"? There is no "supposed" order to do this in at all. Fi will suggest which one to do next if you ask her (and I'm pretty sure she suggests Lanayru as #2 - which led to the last one breaking my game), but if you ask the fortune teller what to do next you're explicitly told that you are free to visit the areas in any order you like.

Yeah, the Lanayru part doesn't have a cutscene/event where stuff happens and you're forced to land in a specific spot. The others do, and it's when one of those events fail to trigger that you can't progress through the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thankfully I did Lanayru, but I just started with Eldin by random chance. After that they mentioned the next area, and then Lanayru after that.

Such a terribly obvious game breaking bug if it's this simple and true.

The Hermit

weird bug, I did Eldin, Lanayru and Faron. I even though that was the true sequence since
you fight against The Imprisoned a last time before doing the final quest

Turrican3

OP, which ZeldaSS version (and language) are you playing?

I believe it is important to understand whether the bug affects players with specific setup or, on the other hand, it's a "global" issue.

creid

Whew. Just got to this part of the game and visited my 2nd location, which will make Lanayru last. Thanks for the warning.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OP, which ZeldaSS version (and language) are you playing?

I believe it is important to understand whether the bug affects players with specific setup or, on the other hand, it's a "global" issue.

I'm playing (well, was playing) the European PAL version, in English.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on playing this over x-mas break, and woulda been pissed if this happened to me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've finally managed to get a save from another person at the exact same point in the story. He had left the same area for last as I had in my save, but while mine wouldn't let the necessary event trigger, his works perfectly. I get the event I'm supposed to get, and can finally progress through the game. So I guess that confirms (if it wasn't already confirmed) that the glitch is caused by something else entirely, and that until someone finds out what that something is you're just gonna have to hope you get lucky (or just do Lanayru last, which doesn't seem to suffer from the issue).

panzone

I've finally managed to get a save from another person at the exact same point in the story. He had left the same area for last as I had in my save, but while mine wouldn't let the necessary event trigger, his works perfectly. I get the event I'm supposed to get, and can finally progress through the game. So I guess that confirms (if it wasn't already confirmed) that the glitch is caused by something else entirely, and that until someone finds out what that something is you're just gonna have to hope you get lucky (or just do Lanayru last, which doesn't seem to suffer from the issue).

Can i have a copy of this save?

The Imprisoned fight triggers as soon as you enter the Sealed Grounds crater area and is only necessary for doing Faron. You don't have to go to Lanayru first. You don't even have to fight the Imprisoned to do Lanayru, just land behind the temple.

Without fighting The Imprisoned you aren't introduced to the Groosinator, which is what you use to get into Faron.

Hell I thought my game was glitched for a while by landing behind the temple and the door being shut, going into the temple and having nothing happen, etc. Finally I stepped out into the Sealed Grounds a bit which triggered what I needed.

EDIT: I misunderstood. Thought you wrote that you don't have to
fight him to get into FARON.
Disregard.

IrishNinja

wait, you can do them out of order? i'm at Lanayru now, i dont think the game would've let me come here if i hadn't done those other 2 areas first.

Guevara

I just saw this thread and I'm halfway through the
pirate ship.
I did Faron woods first, this is my second.

Am I boned?

backlot

wait, you can do them out of order? i'm at Lanayru now, i dont think the game would've let me come here if i hadn't done those other 2 areas first.

Is this your first visit to Lanayru? If so, you aren't at the right point in the game yet.

Edit: Guevara: You're not at the right point yet either. You guys need to play a bit longer still.

Xavien

I just saw this thread and I'm halfway through the
pirate ship.
I did Faron woods first, this is my second.

Am I boned?

Pirate Ship Dungeon
comes before this, so don't worry about it yet, when you have to collect parts of something in all three areas that's when you have to look out.

IrishNinja

okay, so now i'm
collecting flames, and just finished the forest/underwater one, and im being told lanayru desert is next in order
- still not a concern for the bug, right? OP says do that area last, perhaps im still not at the point he's referring to?

Mistle

okay, so now i'm
collecting flames, and just finished the forest/underwater one, and im being told lanayru desert is next in order
- still not a concern for the bug, right? OP says do that area last, perhaps im still not at the point he's referring to?
Not up to it yet. You'll know when- you'll have the choice to go to the areas in any order.

Top Bottom