• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

ElRenoRaven

NO PS3 for the last 3 months and i generally havnt played the demo to comment about it for now, have been following this game for quite a while none the less, i will make an insane ot just like the game if i get it [ have sent a pm square triangle to confirm it] , ;)

Oh. That has to suck not having a PS3. Mine may not get a lot of use other then Blu-Rays but man It would suck not to have it.

gibration

Alternatively: Options> Change Map Size to show all

Look for the blue icons on radar

Best advice when doing challenge mode is definitely to stay away from the A.I for a while.

The blue icons appear on screen too whenever you are near a health pickup. People just have to lookout for them.

Finally played some online today......it's pretty awesome. Much better than the solo challenge mode. Love the way shit gets destroyed in pieces in this one. Played some Nuke and had no idea what I was doing but it was still fun. And Meat Wagon is quickly becoming my favorite.

Pranay

Oh. That has to suck not having a PS3. Mine may not get a lot of use other then Blu-Rays but man It would suck not to have it.

yup it sucks, [my ps3 is at my home but i barely visit twice a month]
none the less will be getting twisted metal day 1 and will play whenever i get time to go home.

The game is definitely overwhelming, especially for new players as I imagine the depth of Nuke, the weapons, the controls etc. are hard to get used to. It's definitely not like a shooter where you go in and know exactly what to do. I appreciate it, but hope people can give it a fair try in this day and age where everything is expected to be built one way

Definitely play the training mode first.

I got the hang of it and remembered much from previous TM games and I'm doing pretty well.

The biggest debate seems to be over health pickups and whether or not they should be there or not, though so far I haven't noticed a big enough impact to judge. Love the return of running over poor fools for a health bonus

General thoughts:

-Great fluidity, responsive controls and vehicles handle so nicely.

-By far my biggest is the lack of characters-- Jaffe says the vehicles are the characters, I disagree. The characters driving are as much a part of the TM universe as the vehicles they drive. It wont feel right to play as Axel without Axel himself and I sorely miss the older Mr. Grimm's. And while I understand this was done for story/MP purposes, I will greatly miss and hope for rightful character DLC and hopefully even just text-based stories for them.

-Lack of vehicles that I am just going to miss. Honestly, Black was such a great game, it's going to be hard to play without vehicles like Crazy 8, but alas, this is a new game

-Love the custom sound support

-Love the soundtrack, it's varied this time around, nothing beats listening to Compton/Rob Zombie one after the other

-I feel like it's the 90s again! How I miss the 90s

-Disappointed in lack of a theater mode, I feel this is so necessary for MP games, and I dont know why more devs don't do it as I'd imagine it to be a great self promoting tool

-Not seeing any statistics page, and hoping it has a great stat tracking system, as well as a proper split screen mode (second sign in support)

-Doesn't seem like there is a server browser/server hosting capability, which would be nice

-The atmosphere is great, the presentation is as slick and twisted as ever, really hope to see a variety of levels, hopeful for some older map DLC. Doesn't feel like Black, but it's so Twisted

-Sometimes hard to lock on to the right enemy when so many are on screen, not sure How I feel about the generous lock on system, as I swear my machine gun was auto locking, though I could be dead wrong. Some weapons like fire missiles also seem to lock on if I recall, which I dont remember was the case in TMB

Anyways, I'm not the biggest TM junkie but my biggest disappointment is lack of characters by far, followed by lack of theater and stat options (seemingly). Honestly, the TM universe is chock full of amazing characters, I just don't agree that trimming them down to 3-4 and seeing them ride a traditional vehicle meant for someone else is right. It just bothers me a lot

Mikey Jr.

How good is it?! :D

Majority of Gaf thinks its great.

I don't know much about Twisted Metal, but so far I am addicted to the SP. (Cant play MP)

Btw, tweet from Jaffe.

Hey! Been in great meetings all day- but could not reach out. We hear u on matchmaking- heading home2get update- will tweet what I find out.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I can see it now: "what the fuck do you mean the fucking matchmaking is broken?! What the fuck! We fucking gotta fucking fix that shit!"

This. 110% motherfucking this. Heart is breaking cause every CAN NOT CONNECT has the very real potential to = a lost fan of the new game.

It's getting fixed as we speak but it's really a crappy feeling. Thank God we didn't charge for the demo and we're solving BEFORE it goes on sale.

Nightz

This. 110% motherfucking this. Heart is breaking cause every CAN NOT CONNECT has the very real potential to = a lost fan of the new game.

It's getting fixed as we speak but it's really a crappy feeling. Thank God we didn't charge for the demo and we're solving BEFORE it goes on sale.

I said this earlier in the thread, but I love you Jaffe. <3

Lots of demos have had broken matchmaking in the first few days, but good word of mouth usually keeps people excited enough to keep trying. Hopefully that's the situation here cause THE GAME FEELS GREAT.

DXPett1

I only have one suggestion for the team... doubletap + hold circle should put you in turbo reverse. It just seems retarded for everything to be centered around the buttons but the only way to do turbo reverse is using the stick.

Apart from that, I <3 this game so

Jtrizzy

Can't seem to get an online game either, but I've seen enough in the tutorial/challenge to buy the game. I pretty much love everything about it. Great graphics, kind of funny that Jaffe was worried about this. The motion blur is really nice when turning. Anyone know what the resolution is?

It stays true to the old games, it is taking me back to the PS1 one days...the original was a big communal game with my friends in high school. Also, the music is great from what I've heard so far too.

Controls well, although takes getting used to for sure.

Mikey Jr.

What is the point of changing characters?

Does it do something?

protip:

Triangle + L1 turns on your headlights.

If people are going to give up on the game because of matchmaking issues, then dont expect them to get past the unusually difficult learning curve that I'm sure many aren't expecting

I can only imagine how a new player will feel when stepping into the game, mercy will not be shown haha. It's a great thing to then see a training mode.

And I wouldn't worry if I were you, I can't remember one beta/demo I played this gen that hasn't been met with launch issues, I'm sure people can weather the storm

Mikey Jr.

I have probably replayed the SP portion a good 25 times already.

Shit, I have a hankering to play it right now, thats how good it is. But yeah, that MM needs to be up TONIGHT! Tomorrow is my last day off work. I need to spend the entire day playing online.

Good work Jaffe.

Himself

Looking at this thread there are plenty of people who are completely won over regardless of the matchmaking problem. I'm one of them.

Word of mouth will resonate way longer than the matchmaking errors from the first day of the demo.

Anyone who says, "But the demo...", their friends will tell them "But nothing; get the f'n game. It's awesome."

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Longtime Twisted Metal fan since the first game in 95. I still hold TM2 as the series pinnacle, TM Black close behind, then TM 1, then 4, then 3. Didn't play Small Brawl and would rank Head-On just above 3.

I love the demo. Its just sooo goddamn rock n roll. Doing a wheelie to get your chainsaw blade hot? Awesome. Having a dude hang out the window to snipe/shotgun? Awesome. Love those touches.

Gotta say, after hearing the Weekend Confirmed show, I was really turned off by Jaffe's statements about how single-player was pretty much an afterthought and not what he wanted to do. I really enjoy the single-player part of the demo though, so I'm back on board again. I really hope the campaign has endings and a coherent storyline though. I can accept that Calypso doesn't grant wishes anymore, but I want it to at least seem like it wasn't entirely shoehorned in at the last second. The short stories and motivations for each character were a big part of the appeal for me in the past.

Jaffe said he'd come on my podcast and talk TM, and I've been trying to hold him to it but so far he "big-timed" us once and we stopped asking. The demo has made me decide to ask him again.

a- Single Player was not an afterthought- as I said on Weekend Confirmed: it's the biggest, most varied one we've ever done. Bosses are amazing, much more variety in the non boss fights (race battles; moving electric cages; semi trucks that poop out enemies) and - I THINK- some of the best stories we've ever had in a TM game.

b- Where are you getting the idea Calypso and his wish granting is not in the game? There's a full of story mode that dives into him and the whole TMU more than any other game we've done.

c- I'm not too big shot, you're simply not persistent enough. We've done all sizes of podcasts and I've tweeted the way get in touch with the person on twitter to set those up many times. I will happily do your podcast but since you so easily trash talk me (slight as it is) and since it's clear you'll make false statements about our single player without having done your research (or listened carefully enough to the Weekend Confirmed podcast), you gotta work for it! :)

a- you gotta figure out the person via twitter to contact to ask for a podcast interview. I've only tweeted the person 50 times so it should not be that hard.

b- when you tweet her, you have to open your tweet 'Why hello Madame! Besides reporting on all the latest ladies fashions that look great on big boned men who have a penchant for crossdressing, my podcast also covers games and we'd LOVE to have David Jaffe on as soon as possible!'

If you do 'a' and 'b' I'd happily come on for an hour and shoot the shit with ya!

Deal?

David

ps. yes I'm giving you a hard time, but I hope you know it's all in good fun. BUT I am serious too :).

Zanosuke

Online seems broken in Sweden too. Have not been able to connect to a single game yet ; /

Offline impressions: I had only played TW 1 before so this was quite the leap for me. Great graphics, solid framerate, awesome music and I am finally starting to understand how to play. Will buy on day 1!

RagnarokX

If people are going to give up on the game because of matchmaking issues, then dont expect them to get past the unusually difficult learning curve that I'm sure many aren't expecting :D

I can only imagine how a new player will feel when stepping into the game, mercy will not be shown haha.

And I wouldn't worry if I were you, I can't remember one beta/demo I played this gen that hasn't been met with launch issues, I'm sure people can weather the storm
They have a lot to lose. TM doesnt have the name recognition it used to and the genre is pretty niche. This demo was a great idea to get new people interested, but these errors have the potential to scare those people away. They need to get off to a good start. First impressions are super important. Most people here probably would have bought the game without a demo.

Donos

Online seems broken in Sweden too. Have not been able to connect to a single game yet ; /

Offline impressions: I had only played TW 1 before so this was quite the leap for me. Great graphics, solid framerate, awesome music and I am starting to understand how to play.

try again, working solid for me now (germany, US demo) had 5 games now.
how can i mute ??????

i couldn't connect to online yesterday but today it went through on the first try and i played for an hour or so. hopefully everyone can connect soon because this game deserves to be played multi-player.

aside from madden (we have a gaf online franchise we play) i honestly haven't played many games in the past few weeks. just was feeling really burnt out with the same ol shit..... FPS or hack n slash lootfest or western RPG etc etc. twisted metal feels like the game i have been waiting for for a couple years or so. feels so fresh to me and this is with a 1 level demo!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
This has got to be the most frustrating demo I have ever played. I can't get in any online matches, so I've been trying the single player mode. Here's how every match has gone so far:

1) Match starts
2) Within 5 seconds people are aggressively trying to murder me
3) I also try to murder someone, but the fucking weird-as-shit controls keep interfering with that objective (square to accelerate, but right analog to go in reverse...wtf?)
4) The announcer tells me that my health is low
5) I spend the remaining 45 seconds of my life desperately searching all over for a health pack
6) Unable to locate a health pack, I explode and die

And since they only give you 1 life in the demo, I have to keep reloading the mission which is annoying.

I don't understand why they would set the difficulty so high for the demo, especially when the game has such a complex control scheme. Are they trying to scare people off?

Despite these frustrations I have felt, I know a good game when I play one. And this game is really good. It's clear to me after hearing Jaffe talk about the game and now getting to play it firsthand, that the team focused on making the game as fun as possible (a quality I always look for in games, but so rarely find). Yes, they had to give up some graphical flourish to pull it off, but they clearly understand that gameplay is more important than graphics.

I hope the online play works sometime soon. I really want to play this more, but the single player is kind of ridiculous. I'll probably get my ass kicked even worse online, but at least I'll be able to respawn (at least, I'm assuming so). I don't mind dying because being alive is so fun, but I just want to be able to come right back so I can practice for more than a minute without a long interruption in between.

switch to racing style controls in the options they are much easier to remember

Trevelyan

Banned
Game is fucking amazing as expected. Good to see too I haven't lost my touch when it comes to MP! Crimson Fury represent! Good to see her back after so many years ;)

Can't wait to win the tourney tomorrow night in SF as well! See you there Jaffe, and excellent work on the game!

Luixfern

I thought single player sucked ass, couldn't connect for shit... then today all of a sudden it worked...

HOLY SHIT! So fun online. The controls still trip me up a bit though.

Tokubetsu

Hey Jaffe, if the game sells well will we see some merch? I need a dollface statue/figure...doll or something. I love that design way too much.

They have a lot to lose. TM doesnt have the name recognition it used to and the genre is pretty niche. This demo was a great idea to get new people interested, but these errors have the potential to scare those people away. They need to get off to a good start. First impressions are super important. Most people here probably would have bought the game without a demo.

Sadly true, but as I understand it, there is a good core fanbase that played the shit out of the MP games.

As for first impressions, my point is that I at least am so used to these sort of errors that I pretty much expect it, and I don't think that many will be so childish to delete the beta after running into a few issues. If they are anything like me they spam the crap out of the join game button until they get in.

At least they have the SP option to keep them tied down, and I agree about word of mouth.

I hope there is a decent advertisement for the game-- not a Kevin Butler ad, but a properly made ad that fits with the Twisted Metal theme. I feel KB ads take that away. More than anything, I am picking this up for split-screen

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Wasn't even on my radar prior to the demo, tbh. I was definitely a 'car combat? no one plays that anymore'

Mikey Jr.

i couldn't connect to online yesterday but today it went through on the first try and i played for an hour or so. hopefully everyone can connect soon because this game deserves to be played multi-player.

aside from madden (we have a gaf online franchise we play) i honestly haven't played many games in the past few weeks. just was feeling really burnt out with the same ol shit..... FPS or hack n slash lootfest or western RPG etc etc. twisted metal feels like the game i have been waiting for for a couple years or so. feels so fresh to me and this is with a 1 level demo!

Still cant connect. Thought it was fixed by your post. Shit.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I only have one suggestion for the team... doubletap + hold circle should put you in turbo reverse. It just seems retarded for everything to be centered around the buttons but the only way to do turbo reverse is using the stick.

Apart from that, I <3 this game so

We could do that but we were worried people would then want a way to NON turbo reverse.

The ONLY time I personally want it is if I am turboing ahead and want to flip a 180 and drive backwards while hitting turbo. BUT the game lets you do this. If you are turboing and hit reverse turbo after doing a tight enough turn within a time window, your double tap reverse WILL give you reverse turbo vs. normal reverse.

Taking all feedback into account and will decide in a few days what we want to try to address for a patch. Right now, all hands on the 'get this fucking matchmaking' fixed! BUT the forums are being scoured and we are making a TOP 'X' LIST of STUFF PEEPS WANT LOOKED AT/ADDRESSED.

David

ps. so glad you are digging it! THANKS FROM ALL OF US! :)

Jb

I wonder why right stick left/right doesn't move the camera. Seems like an obvious thing to have, and right now there completely unused.

I think Jaffe said on weekend confirmed it was because you're constantly doing crazy 180° turns, and the camera needs to always be right behind the vehicle otherwise you'd lose track of what's in front of you.

I thought single player sucked ass, couldn't connect for shit... then today all of a sudden it worked...

HOLY SHIT! So fun online. The controls still trip me up a bit though.

Jaffe is promising a lot of variety, I am very hopeful because he seems to be making it pretty hardcore, I think I remember hearing boss fights last like 20 minutes or something?

DXPett1

We could do that but we were worried people would then want a way to NON turbo reverse.

The ONLY time I personally want it is if I am turboing ahead and want to flip a 180 and drive backwards while hitting turbo. BUT the game lets you do this. If you are turboing and hit reverse turbo after doing a tight enough turn within a time window, your double tap reverse WILL give you reverse turbo vs. normal reverse.

I can appreciate how much of a tight spot you are in with reverse v turbo reverse. Honestly as someone pointed out its much easier to use quick turn anyway.

Re: 180 + reverse, that is awesome little nugget. Shall give it a go tonight!

Hazanko

Banned
Finally did 6-0 in offline challenge. I used the vermin van, seems quite good. I also played a multiplayer match, really fun. The controls are very easy imo, didn't take long to figure out. I'm using dual stick. I do find it weird that up and down is square + cross, if I remember right. I dunno why it just isn't up and down on left stick? Unless that would cause issues?

Violater

Never played this franchise before, my first impression doing the tutorial is that there are a lot of buttons to learn.

Top Bottom