• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

well crap i just tried the demo and this is my FIRST Twisted Metal experience ever and i can safely say i am TOTALLY overwhelmed :(

i love how fluid and crazy it all is but i can't really get a hold on the controls, it all seems super complicated to me and i am having trouble surviving for more than 2 minutes it seems... playing against the AI here and i just KEEP gettin destroyed no matter what i do...

is there a way to regenerate your health besides finding health pickups? (which i never find)

i wanna be part of the fun but i SUCK so bad or i am simply not getting it not sure

prwxv3

well crap i just tried the demo and this is my FIRST Twisted Metal experience ever and i can safely say i am TOTALLY overwhelmed :(

i love how fluid and crazy it all is but i can't really get a hold on the controls, it all seems super complicated to me and i am having trouble surviving for more than 2 minutes it seems... playing against the AI here and i just KEEP gettin destroyed no matter what i do...

is there a way to regenerate your health besides finding health pickups? (which i never find)

i wanna be part of the fun but i SUCK so bad or i am simply not getting it not sure

You can get health from the drivers of the vehicles you destroy. For a newcomer I would pick a vehicles with medium armour and speed. Meat Wagon is a pretty good car for a newcomer. It has medium armour ok speed and a great special.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Mr Jaffe, you said on Weekend Confirmed that you care more about reactions to Twisted Metal on NeoGAF than review scores.

NeoGAF LOVES your game.

This is a weird ass post.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Did you do the training and mess around with control schemes? And the game's kind of like old FPSes where you need to learn where stuff like health pickups are.

Jb

Not sure if the servers are still down but I'd recommend trying to find an online match: the IA in single player is way more aggressive and not being able to respawn makes it difficult to just try to figure out the controls and abilities.

I think you can get some health back by running over a downed driver (once his car blew up). Happened to me once at least.

no i just picked the very first car that you can select, the yellow one i forgot what it's called, oh the death warrant is it?

i tried the tutorial and found it to be EXTREMELY complicated but i guess it might make sense if you get used to it!

doesn't help that in 99% of racing games X is the default for gas and here it's square lol

you need to learn where stuff like health pickups are.

and this is why the single challenge for offline is abit tough, there's no time to really scavenge the map and when you die once it all ends. a more traditional "first to 10 kills" would be more learning-friendly ;D

ElRenoRaven

Read below

You can get health from the drivers of the vehicles you destroy. For a newcomer I would pick a vehicles with medium armour and speed. Meat Wagon is a pretty good car for a newcomer. It has medium armour ok speed and a great special.

Yup I agree that for newer players starting with a medium speed and armored vehicle is probably your best bet.. Also if you're liking it just stick with it. It is a lot for a newcomer to take in but if you stick with it you will get the hang of it. Don't give up.

i am liking it kinda... but the thing is i have no one to play MP with, is the single player worth it? or will it be since it's not out yet, talking more about what you guys know of the older games here really

The first few matches probably felt over whelming for everybody A few beginner tips-

• Play defensively. Use your mini-map to keep track of the AI players and try to only engage in 1v1. When you get stuck in the middle of a pack high tail it out of there and use the shield (d-pad right) to avoid excessive damage
  • Use health pickups. They appear on the mini-map and in the game as little blue icons. After a few games you'll start to remember where they are and it will make things much easier.
  • Pick a middle of the road car. Meat Wagon is a great beginners choice. Good speed, health, and a very good special.

Valnen

Just played it. Couldn't get on the PSN, said it was undergoing maintenance. Played a bit of single player. Kept dying really fast but oh my god, this is definitely a worthy Twisted Metal game. Anyone that does not buy this at some point has no business owning a PS3. It's THAT good.

JBuccCP

I'm having the most luck with meat wagon. His special is easy and does decent damage, he has good health and ok speed. I've won six or seven challenges in a row with him. Game is a blast. I love loading up on as many weapons as possible, then parking on a roof and unloading on the first unlucky bastard who shows up.

Rattles

Just stay away from the ai for the first few minutes. Just run around the map keeping an eye on the rader to find the health packs.

Health packs are in the following.
football stadium
Top of movie thearter
Top of hospital
In the pool behind the mansion
the church
and grocery store.

Mikey Jr.

Keep trying... it took me about 14 tries to get into a game.

What type of game? I was browsing gaf and mashing DM and was constantly getting matchmaking errors.

I have not got into a game since I downloaded the demo.

Come on Jaffe/Sony, its been 24 hours FFS and its still broken.

BurningNad

I haven't been this excited for a game in years... Usually for a game I look forward to I'll play the demo if available, say "this is cool" and delete it.

But with this... All I want to do is play. I don't want to stop. Valentine's day can't come soon enough.

Shadybiz

football stadium
Top of movie thearter
Top of hospital
the church
and grocery store.

Thanks for that, I had only seen the stadium one so far. I guess I've been too focused on not getting shot to pay attention!

botty

Banned
What type of game? I was browsing gaf and mashing DM and was constantly getting matchmaking errors.

I have not got into a game since I downloaded the demo.

Come on Jaffe/Sony, its been 24 hours FFS and its still broken.

I got into a deathmatch game. At least once you're in a game, you're in until you quit.

I just started playing the demo and I wasn't getting a hang of the controls at all until I went with race controls and spent time in the training. Thing do still get hectic in actual combat and there's a lot of controls to remember but I'll get used to it.

I'm having an okay time with the bots but I want to get online but I'm being hit with constant errors.

I'm completely unable to join an online game. I've tried about ten times and it's not happening. Dang. That music that plays during the menu gets annoying very fast.

This has got to be the most frustrating demo I have ever played. I can't get in any online matches, so I've been trying the single player mode. Here's how every match has gone so far:

1) Match starts
2) Within 5 seconds people are aggressively trying to murder me
3) I also try to murder someone, but the fucking weird-as-shit controls keep interfering with that objective (square to accelerate, but right analog to go in reverse...wtf?)
4) The announcer tells me that my health is low
5) I spend the remaining 45 seconds of my life desperately searching all over for a health pack
6) Unable to locate a health pack, I explode and die

And since they only give you 1 life in the demo, I have to keep reloading the mission which is annoying.

I don't understand why they would set the difficulty so high for the demo, especially when the game has such a complex control scheme. Are they trying to scare people off?

Despite these frustrations I have felt, I know a good game when I play one. And this game is really good. It's clear to me after hearing Jaffe talk about the game and now getting to play it firsthand, that the team focused on making the game as fun as possible (a quality I always look for in games, but so rarely find). Yes, they had to give up some graphical flourish to pull it off, but they clearly understand that gameplay is more important than graphics.

I hope the online play works sometime soon. I really want to play this more, but the single player is kind of ridiculous. I'll probably get my ass kicked even worse online, but at least I'll be able to respawn (at least, I'm assuming so). I don't mind dying because being alive is so fun, but I just want to be able to come right back so I can practice for more than a minute without a long interruption in between.

SGXYl.jpg

How'd I do Gaf?
the one at the top... ;)

red731

Just played like 4x10minute matches and did very well. Second and third places for the whole time.
Still, the AI kicks my ass and I am glad to manage at least one kill.

Multiplayer is the way to go. Oh how I love to drive fast and jump from something into warzone.

Played the demo and absolutely loved it, still not sure if I'll be buying (day one) but I'mdefinitly considering it now. Is there anyway to play with friends in the demo?

Pranay

Pranay_ claimed the OT for the game. So who knows what it will be like because I've honestly never seen them in any of the Twisted Metal topics.

NO PS3 for the last 3 months and i generally havnt played the demo to comment about it for now, have been following this game for quite a while none the less, i will make an insane ot just like the game if i get it [ have sent a pm square triangle to confirm it] , ;)

botty

Banned
This has got to be the most frustrating demo I have ever played. I can't get in any online matches, so I've been trying the single player mode. Here's how every match has gone so far:

1) Match starts
3) I also try to murder someone, but the fucking weird-as-shit controls keep interfering with that objective (square to accelerate, but right analog to go in reverse...wtf?)
5) I spend the remaining 45 seconds of my life desperately searching all over for a health pack

And since they only give you 1 life in the demo, I have to keep reloading the mission which is annoying.

I don't understand why they would set the difficulty so high for the demo, especially when the game has such a complex control scheme. Are they trying to scare people off?

Despite these frustrations I have felt, I know a good game when I play one. And this game is really good. It's clear to me after hearing Jaffe talk about the game and now getting to play it firsthand, that the team focused on making the game as fun as possible (a quality I always look for in games, but so rarely find). Yes, they had to give up some graphical flourish to pull it off, but they clearly understand that gameplay is more important than graphics.

I hope the online play works sometime soon. I really want to play this more, but the single player is kind of ridiculous. I'll probably get my ass kicked even worse online, but at least I'll be able to respawn (at least, I'm assuming so). I don't mind dying because being alive is so fun, but I just want to be able to come right back so I can practice for more than a minute without a long interruption in between.

I think everyone has gone through this with their initial play through of the single player... but once you get a hang of the controls, understand the map lay-out, and know the location of the health packs it gets far easier.

Try using Talon to get a scope of the map, that's what I did.

Played the demo and absolutely loved it, still not sure if I'll be buying (day one) but I'mdefinitly considering it now. Is there anyway to play with friends in the demo?
only simple matchmaking in the demo, full game will have all that stuff

seriously, this demo is more fun than most of the games I've played lately.

RagnarokX

1) Match starts

You should do practice mode to learn controls. Doubletap circle to reverse.

What the hell are people trying to reverse for? QUICK TURN. It even works with almost no speed. QUICK TURN, people, QUICK TURN.

And if you still insist on reversing, you can double tap the brakes to do it.

Owensboro

[lots o text]

I'd suggest that instead of immediately trying to murder someone when you drop into the level, go exploring. Also, hit the Pause button and zoom the mini map out a little. That way, when you are exploring the level, you can also be on the look out for the Heath Packs and search for them / memorize where they are.

I did that on my second try and had fun just dropping mines and getting missiles off as I drifted around corners running from the AI.

Oh! question for everyone: How do you get the health pack on top of the Movie Theater? I've tried jumping into the platform but just bounce off. I also tried hitting it with missiles but can't blow it up.

RagnarokX

I'd suggest that instead of immediately trying to murder someone when you drop into the level, go exploring. Also, hit the Pause button and zoom the mini map out a little. That way, when you are exploring the level, you can also be on the look out for the Heath Packs and search for them / memorize where they are.

I did that on my second try and had fun just dropping mines and getting missiles off as I drifted around corners running from the AI.

Oh! question for everyone: How do you get the health pack on top of the Movie Theater? I've tried jumping into the platform but just bounce off. I also tried hitting it with missiles but can't blow it up.
Shoot it more.

What the hell are people trying to reverse for? QUICK TURN. It even works with almost no speed. QUICK TURN, people, QUICK TURN.

And if you still insist on reversing, you can double tap the brakes to do it.
yeah but it's badass as fuck to quick turn and then hit reverse while firing at someone.

Himself

Being that I'm already sold on the game I'm gonna wait until they address the matchmaking issues before playing anymore.

Guess I'll go try out the Starhawk beta that TM basically made me forget about.

Wow, playing as Reaper is really difficult. How does his special weapon work? I tried the chainsaw and he just throws it out like a rocket and only did 40 damage not the 120+ some people got.

Just stay away from the ai for the first few minutes. Just run around the map keeping an eye on the rader to find the health packs.

Health packs are in the following.
football stadium
Top of movie thearter
Top of hospital
the church
and grocery store.

Alternatively: Options> Change Map Size to show all

Look for the blue icons on radar

Best advice when doing challenge mode is definitely to stay away from the A.I for a while.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's also a 1-time environmental hazard. The giant movie reel will fall down and roll through town. Near impossible to hit anyone with it, though.

I love that. It's real old school in the sense that there's so much stuff in the map that can happen, but it doesn't just hold your hand and make you press 'AWESOME STUFF HAPPEN' button

Top Bottom