• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Edmond Dantès;36048786 said:
Q: Kimi, welcome back. How much has Kimi changed in the two years that you’ve been doing WRC? And how much has your driving changed during that time?
Kimi Raikkonen: Oh, I don’t know really. I don’t think a lot, a little bit older, that’s all. It’s the same really.

He's back, all right!

ANDY_098

New exhausts raise no issues
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/articles/australia-2012/Pages/thursday-2.aspx

Race director Charlie Whiting has confirmed that he is happy with the interpretations applied by each team to the new regulations governing the position of exhaust exits.

Introduced to stop the phenomenon of the off-throttle blown diffuser, this year’s F1 technical regulations specify geometry for the exit of exhausts from the bodywork. Despite the stringency of the new specification, concern has been voiced that some teams are still using exhaust gasses for aerodynamic benefit. However, when talking to the press today, Whiting dismissed the idea, saying he has no problem with how any 2012 team has met the new regulation.

“There has been a little bit of discussion in general, and most of that discussion centres on different interpretations of the new regulations,” he said. “As you know last year there was a very simple regulation, which just required that each car had no more than two exhaust exits. This year there’s a whole page on it and it’s designed specifically to ensure any aerodynamic effect from the exhaust is incidental to its primary purpose.

“Obviously engineers have had different interpretations on that. All of the systems we’ve seen so far comply with the extensive new regulations so our position is simple: we are not in a position to be able to say exactly how much aerodynamic influence each individual system has. The aim of the new regulation was to ensure that we don’t have to do that. We have no idea how much aerodynamic influence each individual system has, nor really at this point is it anything that interests us. As long as they comply with the rules, we are happy. And as far as we’ve seen so far, they all do comply with the rules.”

While exhaust flow has long been used to gain some aerodynamic benefit, the off-throttle blown diffuser breached article 3.15 of the technical regulations with regard to the section governing driver movement being used to alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car. Simply banning the practice via changes to the ECU proved difficult to introduce given the requirements of certain current engines to use these characteristics for legitimate purposes also.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
kimi-raikkonen-dorme-durante-entrevista-coletiva-na-australia-1331815580574_300x230.jpg

Hah

I loved his interview on Top gear. He's so laid back it's unreal, but nobody can question his talent, when he's committed. I think he and Lotus will be very interesting this year.

Not long to go now, less than 8 hours until P1!

S. L.

ah this will be exciting.
my bets on surprise teams in Melbourne will be Mercedes, Sauber and maybe Williams

Goldrusher

F1 is coming (back) to Argentina next year

Probably back to back with São Paulo in November.
And it won't be on a new race track as previously thought, but on a street circuit in Mar del Plata.

BUENOS AIRES, March 14 (Xinhua) -- Argentine President Cristina Fernandez on Wednesday announced that the South American country will host Formula One races in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

The city of Mar del Plata, 400 kilometers south from Buenos Aires, will host F1 races "between the end of November and the beginning of December" in the following three years, said Fernandez.

The announcement was made during an event in Casa Rosada, seat of presidency, where Fernandez met with the Dakar Rally's Argentine competitors.

"For us, this will be very important because after soccer, auto racing is the Argentines second preferred sport," Fernandez said.

The Argentine president said that bring F1 back to Argentina "is an accomplishment Argentines deserve, so we can show the world what we have."

Argentina's Grand Prix was a valid race for the F1 world championship and was hosted by the South American country in an intermittent way from 1953 to 1998.

Due to the organizers financial problems, Argentina's Grand Prix was suspended after 1998.

http://www.canchallena.com/1456801-mar-del-plata-ya-suena-con-su-circuito-callejero-para-la-f1
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.asp?id=57356
http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/3213/7596995/-We-will-have-F1-in-Argentina-

6786611267_4744f5421c_b.jpg

Not sure, guy from work is handling the tickets to the race, I just booked us the flights and hotel.

Hotels in Montreal are fucking expensive good god. :p

Yeah hotel prices double when the F1 is in town. We slept in the Fairmont hotel which was ideal with the subway underneath the hotel directly to the track.

dalin80

Banned
F1 is coming (back) to Argentina next year

Probably back to back with São Paulo in November.
And it won't be on a new race track as previously thought, but on a street circuit in Mar del Plata.

http://www.canchallena.com/1456801-mar-del-plata-ya-suena-con-su-circuito-callejero-para-la-f1
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.asp?id=57356
http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/3213/7596995/-We-will-have-F1-in-Argentina-

A race in argentina could be very.....interesting under current circumstance.

Az

OMG this weekend is going to be great. Finally F1 and a couple of decent Football games. Can't wait.

acm2000

so euro gp makes way for argentina, fair enough swap, Valencia is shite, at least will only have to watch it every other year

AndyD

aka andydumi
so euro gp makes way for argentina, fair enough swap, Valencia is shite, at least will only have to watch it every other year

The problem is that the Argentina track as shown in those concept photos is just as bad if not worse.

Omiee

Edmond Dantès;36061707 said:
Search for the neogaf league, type the password in, choose your team name, pick your team and place your bets.

thanks, cant wait!!

so testing is a few hours away.

what are your predictions for this race guys

As a (fairly rubbish) motion graphics designer, I thought I'd chip in my opinion of the new BBC F1 intro: shite.

It looks really bland and it's too fast to really grasp anything other than, "Look, there's a car! And there's another one!" I didn't have any issues with their previous effort, and personally thought a change was unnecessary, but they should have just moved to an archive reel if they wanted to refresh (on the cheap).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
thanks, cant wait!!

so testing is a few hours away.

what are your predictions for this race guys
Red Bull and McLaren fighting for the win.
Ferrari a solid third with Merc just behind them.
Lotus not living up to their pre-season form.
Force India surprising everyone with excellent pace.
Sauber with some pace, but dropping off eventually.
Caterham having a very lonely race, far ahead of HRT and Marussia, but still far behind Toro Rosso.
Williams, disappointing.

A few surprises at first, but the status quo returning to what we're accustomed to. The might of the current stalwarts of F1 shining through.

xptoxyz

So, nothing on BBC and Practice on Sky at 01:00 GMT? The races that BBC doesn't have they can't show anything live, right? Not even practices and pre-race?

Wooooooo, so psyched for this weekend, been following this and the pre season thread super closely, but first time posting.

Just signed up for the league, but have no idea really who or why I'm choosing my team, just going to wing it and do a Taco (for those that watch The League).

Hoping for a JB win.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I will see, maybe will watch FP2, if trouble with my sleep appear again (going through tough time in my private life).

so, those with sky, have you checked out the new Sky Sports For iPad app that was updated today, the F1 section looks very very slick, looking forward to seeing it in use tomorrow with timings and hopefully the dual screen views etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom