• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

kunonabi

Consider yourself lucky that you never played the Castlevania game on the Wii. It's horrible!

Aside from the love/hate art design the game was actually pretty good. Varied playstyles, flexible combo system, good online, customization, awesome music, and a great sense of humor made for a pretty good arena fighter. I personally liked it better than Power Stone. Only real downsides were that the game needed a few balance tweaks and some platforming.

Amalthea

Banned
Where's that pic from? The concept is amazing!

It was (IIRC) from the booklet in the Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX wich contained 19 CD's, released in 2009.

It can be also found in the Ayami Kojima Artbook Santa Lilio Sangre.

TreIII

what is this!? since the wiimote reveal I dreamed of a castlevania game with whip action, all we got was an item in Skyward Sword, this picture is so damn teasing! :(

I remember that IGA himself admitted that he had no idea of how to make a CV game on the Wii. Then we got "Judgment". :lol

Guys have you seen the new Dave Cox profile picture in twitter?
It's supposed to be a hint
Wolf.jpg

And seriously, who needs Ayami Kojima with artwork like his?
draculax.jpg

Aside from the love/hate art design the game was actually pretty good. Varied playstyles, flexible combo system, good online, customization, awesome music, and a great sense of humor made for a pretty good arena fighter. I personally liked it better than Power Stone. Only real downsides were that the game needed a few balance tweaks and some platforming.

A good story mode would have improved it a lot for me.

mantidor

Consider yourself lucky that you never played the Castlevania game on the Wii. It's horrible!

haha I had completely forgotten about that, but is a fighter game, it doesn't count as awesome whip action.

I remember that IGA himself admitted that he had no idea of how to make a CV game on the Wii. Then we got "Judgment". :lol

All I wanted was to fling my remote like it was whip and kill skeletons, I would have settled for Castlevania 64 quality to be honest. While not great, the game gets way more hate than it deserves, skeletons on motorcycles and all. It would be better than Judgement, thats for sure.

Um, there is absolutely no way for me to get excited over this if it's not an Igavania, especially if it abandons everything that made OoE a great hybrid of old CV and post-Rondo CV.

Wait what? I never went for OoE as Portrait really burned me out on the series, I might have to give this a look now.

Nice to see that they're not just going to let Silent Hill run away with the coveted "Which Respected Property can Konami Mishandle Most Ruinously" award.

Poor Igarashi.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wolf.jpg

Yes, this game is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Because even though some might be fooled into thinking it'll be good, it will terrorize your standards of decency.

7Th

Iga or not, if the game isn't 2D I'm passing on it. And anyone who honestly believes Lords of Shadow's bland, generic art is comparable to Kojima's gothic creativity needs to get his or her eyes checked.

And anyone who honestly believes Lords of Shadow's bland, generic art is comparable to Kojima's gothic creativity needs to get his or her eyes checked.

I don't think its as "inspiring" or whatever elitist terms we can throw around here, but it's certainly good, fitting art for Castlevania. How on earth is it bland and generic? I just don't understand the seething hatred behind everything, either it's the best shit ever or flat out terrible with a lot of people it seems. It's fine to have opinions but saying that people need their eyes checked if they think Lords of Shadow's art is good is a bit much.

Ragus

Banned
I love Igavania's, and I think that Lords of Shadow is one of the best games of 2010.

So I guess it is a win-win situation for me.

7Th

I don't think its as "inspiring" or whatever elitist terms we can throw around here, but it's certainly good, fitting art for Castlevania. How on earth is it bland and generic? I just don't understand the seething hatred behind everything, either it's the best shit ever or flat out terrible with a lot of people it seems.

It's definitely better than the poorly-drawn animu stuff in Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin, but it looks just like any other pseudo-horror action game out there. Hirooka's stuff for OoE, for example, had way more personality and style.

Skilletor

So basically you don't give a shit about most are saying and just want to have faith in this. Okay... you can pretty much do that with anything, it doesn't really make any other argument less valid honestly.

Basically:

Wayforward makes good 2D games. They also make bad 2D games. There's no telling which a new Castlevania by them would be.

Mercury Steam has yet to develop a 2D title, so I don't know whether it would be bad or good. Time will tell. But just because they made two shitty 3D games doesn't mean they'll make a bad 2D one. Either is possible. Just as Wayforward making a shitty 2D game would be possible. I don't have blind faith in either developer. If it's 2D, I'll pay attention. If it's 3D, since they have already made a 3D game I couldn't care less about, I will ignore it.

I don't know where you got I have faith in this from what I've been saying.

mjc

Basically:

Wayforward makes good 2D games. They also make bad 2D games. There's no telling which a new Castlevania by them would be.

Mercury Steam has yet to develop a 2D title, so I don't know whether it would be bad or good. Time will tell. But just because they made two shitty 3D games doesn't mean they'll make a bad 2D one. Either is possible. Just as Wayforward making a shitty 2D game would be possible. I don't have blind faith in either developer. If it's 2D, I'll pay attention. If it's 3D, since they have already made a 3D game I couldn't care less about, I will ignore it.

Lords of Shadow isn't a game I'd classify as "shitty".

I don't think its as "inspiring" or whatever elitist terms we can throw around here, but it's certainly good, fitting art for Castlevania. How on earth is it bland and generic? I just don't understand the seething hatred behind everything, either it's the best shit ever or flat out terrible with a lot of people it seems. It's fine to have opinions but saying that people need their eyes checked if they think Lords of Shadow's art is good is a bit much.

I don't think LoS art is bad, it might be pretty good, but can't compare with the 2D titles. And certainly those are more unique too. The fact is, that while LoS art is good is does nothing out of the ordinaty in terms of dark fantasy games but the art in the castlevania 2D titles it's so distintive and have such a nice use of colors...

Teknoman

It really isnt shitty though. Shitty should be reserved for games with no redeeming values whatsoever. Mega Man MSdos is shitty.

I just don't understand the seething hatred behind everything, either it's the best shit ever or flat out terrible with a lot of people it seems.

Thank you.

.la1n

Basically:

If they scaled back the insane difficulty on Bloodrayne it would have been a perfect 2D game, still stuck on that damn game, will finish one day. Refuse to uninstall.

Wolf.jpg

And seriously, who needs Ayami Kojima with artwork like his?

[IMG ] http://lazyreviewzzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-reverie-Gabriel_Cementerio-1280px-50p.jpg[/IMG]

If there is a thing on LOS that one cannot shit on, is its art. I mean, in some parts I even think that it is better than The witcher 2's art.

I don't think LoS art is bad, it might be pretty good, but can't compare with the 2D titles. And certainly those are more unique too. The fact is, that while LoS art is good is does nothing out of the ordinaty in terms of dark fantasy games but the art in the castlevania 2D titles it's so distintive and have such a nice use of colors...

I agree, but in this case, it was a different kind of Castlevania. It is more, let's say "grounded" in some ways, but looking at some art from LOS on Google, I would say that it's definitely great art. It's fair to say that it's not as unique or inspiring but if it's solid and respects the type of product its being created for, I can't be terribly negative about it.

Barakov

Gold Member
Interesting to see what comes of it. Anything but a 2D metroidvania would definitely make me less interested.

This is gonna run sub 20 fps the majority of the time isn't it?

Let's hope not. Surely enough people complained about it to where they would have to take notice and address it. What I'm excited about mainly is the fact that I really have no idea what to expect from the 3DS title or the LOS sequel. A lot of games are announced and you get the predictable style and setting and such but with these, I literally have no idea.

I would rather have been surprised with both the news/announcement at E3 because these types of games are the ones I look forward to seeing the most at the show.

I agree, but in this case, it was a different kind of Castlevania. It is more, let's say "grounded" in some ways, but looking at some art from LOS on Google, I would say that it's definitely great art. It's fair to say that it's not as unique or inspiring but if it's solid and respects the type of product its being created for, I can't be terribly negative about it.

Well I'm negative because it's just not a different kind of castlevania, it's the "new" castlevania as if replacing the old castlevania, and that means no more Kojima's art, no more 2D titles and so on...

As I said it's great art, but you can find similar art in a lot of games. Castlevania games were one of the last stands of 2D alongside beautiful unique art and 2D backgrounds.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Basically:

How is there no telling just because they don't have a flawless track record? They have a far better one than a developer with nothing to go on. And you obviously have to have faith in the developer, otherwise why would you hope this is true or be defending them before you even find out?

Skilletor

How is there no telling just because they don't have a flawless track record? They have a far better one than a developer with nothing to go on. And you obviously have to have faith in the developer, otherwise why would you hope this is true or be defending them before you even find out?

I hope it's true because I like 2D Castlevanias and would like one for the 3DS.

I'm not defending anybody. I'm stating my stance. You were the one who said that anything done by WF would immediately be better than Mercury just because it would have sprites. I disagree.

There's no telling what Wayforward would give us because it could be like Bloorayne, or it could be like Shantae <3. There's no telling what Mercury will do with a 2D castlevania because they've never done one.

My stance on either developer is wait and see.

SpokkX

Aw man more castlevania from the studio that brought us a god of war clone with worse gameplay and awful framerate... :(

Really hope this is made in Japan

Barryman

People talking shit on LOS's art -- have you played the game?! Like, the part that actually takes place inside the castle?! Because that part was simply incredible.

Well I'm negative because it's just not a different kind of castlevania, it's the "new" castlevania as if replacing the old castlevania, and that means no more Kojima's art, no more 2D titles and so on...

Well, it wasn't going to last forever and the art is good enough for me. It's not bad art to be "replaced" with. Portrait/Dawn's art is bad art to be replaced with. :p

I get what you're saying though and I do agree. Makes sense. Definitely not hating on your opinion as I'm in the same boat as a longtime CV fan but as long as the art isn't bad, I'm okay with that.

Cwarrior

My jaw dropped. I was like "WHAT NEW CASTLEVANIA OH MY GOD!!!!!!!111"

But David Cox probably means it's going to be another 3D one.

In other words, I don't fucking care anymore. Keep it up Konami -- you haven't made a good game in years, so why start now?

My reaction

Barryman

Yeah, I forgot that Kojima's art wasn't even in the last few DS games. LOS's art is immeasurably improved from those games.

Foffy

Banned
People talking shit on LOS's art -- have you played the game?! Like, the part that actually takes place inside the castle?! Because that part was simply incredible.

It's awful compared to Kojima's work. And for that comparison, it may sound berating, but that's just how important Kojima's artwork was with creating a dark identity for the franchise.

Teknoman

It's awful compared to Kojima's work. And for that comparison, it may sound berating, but that's just how important Kojima's artwork was with creating a dark identity for the franchise.

Didnt she just start doing art for the series with Symphony of the Night? Not knocking her art in the least bit, but Castlevania had a pretty decent/dark identity prior to her involvement in the franchise. Just look at how things progressed up to 64.
Either way, all I want is Michiru Yamane to come back for the soundtrack (although LoS did have some nice theme).

Kaldea

I really liked LoS, but my favorite part about it was the art. I'll always prefer Kojima's art though. Castlevania has been amazing when it comes to visual style in my opinion.

I'd do anything for another 2D game with Shanoa. :(

Foffy

Banned
Didnt she just start doing art for the series with Symphony of the Night? Either way, all I want is Michiru Yamane to come back for the soundtrack (although LoS did have some nice theme).

True, but what was impactful is that artwork meshed well with some of the artwork previous to her, outside of the anime work in Rondo. It may look a little more feminine, but it still fit that same dark vibe. Lords has gone with a different vibe almost entirely, and that's how it doesn't feel like it "fits". Even Masaki's, for one game, fit with Castlevania, because of the tone of the direction it made.

Still miles better than Judgment's direction into a sewer.

Barryman

Really? I just don't think this can be considered "awful," no matter what we're comparing it to:

Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow-Review-Belmont-Castle.jpg

Opinions, I guess. I'd love it if they brought back Kojima and Yamane, though.

EDIT: I would, however, agree that the non-castle parts of LOS aren't anything special from an art perspective, particularly the 3rd act.

Top Bottom