• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new Final Fantasy XIV trailer at E3, moved to August instead

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://sqex.to/Dng

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/jump?name=mainmenu&id=teaser

There have been some changes to the roadmap for version 2.0. We had planned to release a new trailer for version 2.0 at E3 this year, but instead we’ve decided to keep it under wraps for now.
(The current version of the roadmap has been updated to reflect this.)

The devs, Visual Works, Sound, PR—everyone did their part and the trailer itself was completed and ready for release at E3. But during our most recent global PR planning meeting, we came to the conclusion that the most effective way to introduce version 2.0 to the world would be with a flood of new material rather than just a trickle.

In order to make version 2.0 a success, we need to appeal to not only our current players (naturally!), but also as many new players as possible, including PS3 owners. I really am sorry for the changes to the roadmap, but I really hope you understand that they were made with appealing to as many of you as possible in mind. We want to place the highest priority on keeping the 2.0 development schedule on track and on time, and prepare a large-scale promotional campaign filled with mind-blowing stuff!

For myself, I’m shifting into super producer mode for the release of version 2.0.
I’m in Japan right now, but will soon be winging my way to LA for E3.

As mentioned in my previous missive, the focus of this letter will be the third edition of the Players’ Poll, but before we get into that I have a few things I’d like to report.

Well, the public release of version 2.0 is set to kickoff with this year’s E3 in Los Angeles. We also plan to unveil a brand new promotion site for version 2.0 soon after E3 ends.

This new site will feature world lore, character, system, and content updates as soon as the information is available. This means that our existing players will have the chance to follow these updates and see how the current world of FFXIV will transform as we move into version 2.0

Yoshida will be at E3 but interview space is super limited... the game doesn't have any booth presence... and now they've pushed their reveal trailer back to August.

The PS3 version is never releasing, sorry. Feel bad if people were holding out hope that since Square's E3 press release omitted FF 14, they must be keeping several other unannounced games close to the chest.

I can't imagine a better place to relaunch your game than E3, with a full trailer. interviews and all.

Are they planning some centric japanese event that will be widely ignored by western press?.... I don't know sounds dumb to me unless they clearly felt they don't have material to follow up the E3 trailer.

The PS3 version is never releasing, sorry. Feel bad if people were holding out hope that since Square's E3 press release omitted FF 14, they must be keeping several other unannounced games close to the chest.

One of the reasons of making a totally new engine from scratch was to able to release a PS3 version...

Maybe this actually means Versus XIII will show up this year? Because if not then what is SE showing this year exactly? And I mean the Japanese branch.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Betas and 2.0 launch are still on schedule, which includes the PS3 version. They're just pushing back the reveal on everything until August instead of June.

Was Versus confirmed from SE not to be showing up in any form? I'm still hoping for something at the Sony Press Conference. I mean why skip this year if you have no other titles to show or will compete with each other?

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised SE has been beyond stupid this gen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So, games that are already out in Japan. Basically a no-show.

Pretty much. Their big focus this year is on their western Eidos titles.

Was Versus confirmed from SE not to be showing up in any form? I'm still hoping for something at the Sony Press Conference. I mean why skip this year if you have no other titles to show or will compete with each other?

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised SE has been beyond stupid this gen.

The next time Versus shows up will likely be a separate Japanese event especially for it.

Mario007

I'm guessing some sort of a press event will be hosted by SE in that case in August...or maybe they want to show it off at Gamescon, since Europe is stronger for playing PC games. Still, seems weird...

Also it's kinda shitty that there will be nothing from SE Japan apart from 2 3DS titles at E3, this year being the anniversary of FF and all.

Hopefully there might be a surprise or two...but I'm not holding my breath. SE has the strangest PR team...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think it'd be met with anything but wisecracks and cynicism anyway.

Rightly so.

ib1vLLgYZzUPMs.gif

Might as well get the console version ready for next gen.

Epcott

Errrrr... what the hell is Squenix going to show besides Theatrhythm and KH3D?

A new Front Mission? (unlikely)
More FF HD remakes? (unlikely)...

DragonQuest X???
More FFXIII DLC? (possibly)

What the hell is wrong with Squenix this gen?

Pffft they may as well cancel Versus XIII too. I mean at least they are telling us when they plan on showing off XIV, we don't even know when that will happen for Versus.

I just want Versus XIII to come out so I can forget about SE for a looong time. They've been awful this gen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Errrrr... what the hell is Squenix going to show besides Theatrhythm and KH3D?

A new Front Mission? (unlikely)
More FF HD remakes? (unlikely)...

DragonQuest X???
More FFXIII DLC? (possibly)

What the hell is wrong with Squenix this gen?

Hitman
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider
Heroes of Ruin
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D

mclem

There's always a possibility there's a new announcement tucked up their sleeve somewhere, and I think there's a reasonable chance we'll see some sort of appearance for DQX, simply because it's awfully close to release now

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hitman
Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider
Heroes of Ruin
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D

Line-up isn't really exciting. I hope they'll at least provide FFX HD info.

Midou

I can't imagine a better place to relaunch your game than E3, with a full trailer. interviews and all.

Yep, they really could have made 2.0 shine at E3, even if the stuff won't be in the game for months, waiting until next E3 may be a bad idea. I guess they can get TGS right close to the 2.0 launch, but that won't help much in the rest of the world.

As much as I hated what the game was at launch, I'm willing to give 2.0 a try.

Coxy

Well I think they may have majorly fucked up here yet again, there'll undoubtedly be a bunch of other mmos on ps3 at e3

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
August suggests a GamesCom reveal?

Lets not forget that E3 isn't the only big trade-show of the summer.

Toth

Um, please quote the whole letter next time. You forgot this part:

For myself, I’m shifting into super producer mode for the release of version 2.0.
I’m in Japan right now, but will soon be winging my way to LA for E3.

As mentioned in my previous missive, the focus of this letter will be the third edition of the Players’ Poll, but before we get into that I have a few things I’d like to report.

Well, the public release of version 2.0 is set to kickoff with this year’s E3 in Los Angeles. We also plan to unveil a brand new promotion site for version 2.0 soon after E3 ends.

This new site will feature world lore, character, system, and content updates as soon as the information is available. This means that our existing players will have the chance to follow these updates and see how the current world of FFXIV will transform as we move into version 2.0

Sounds like there WILL be a public release of version 2.0 at E3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Um, please quote the whole letter next time. You forgot this part:

Sounds like there WILL be a public release of version 2.0 at E3.

Yes, he's doing interviews for it... which I imagine will also include showing of some screenshots.

Toth

Yes, he's doing interviews for it... which I imagine will also include showing of some screenshots.

Okay, but your title thread suggests that there is no new information that is going to be released at E3 when that is not the case.

edit:

ALSO, according to the roadmap,

It is looking VERY likely version 2.0 will launch on the 2 year anniversary of FFXIV.

Mario007

I'd expect it to hit PS3 at about the same time as the Last Remnant.

ib1vLLgYZzUPMs.gif

Might as well get the console version ready for next gen.

Have you guys just read the thread title without bothering to read the OP?

Pffft they may as well cancel Versus XIII too. I mean at least they are telling us when they plan on showing off XIV, we don't even know when that will happen for Versus.

I just want Versus XIII to come out so I can forget about SE for a looong time. They've been awful this gen.

Well you know that versus is in full production for about a year now, you have 6 minute trailer that has gameplay and you have slight acknowledgements from SE that they'll start releasing info about the game soon. So it's coming, it's now closer to being released than ever, really.

Looks like a PAX lineup :(

Line-up isn't really exciting. I hope they'll at least provide FFX HD info.

I just can't believe this is SE's E3 lineup. So bad.

Honestly the line-up is great, it's just not what you'd expect when you hear Square-Enix. I also think that Sony will want to show off Vita footage of FFX HD so that should hopefully make an appearance.

August suggests a GamesCom reveal?

Lets not forget that E3 isn't the only big trade-show of the summer.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It seems that they only had the trailer ready for E3 so they want to rather show it in Germany (at a show that is actually bigger than E3 attendance-wise and is more focused on MMO and PC games) with playable builds.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, but your title thread suggests that there is no new information that is going to be released at E3 when that is not the case.

edit:

It is looking VERY likely version 2.0 will launch on the 2 year anniversary of FFXIV.

"Basically skipping E3" is true though... no trailer, no booth presence... and only a very limited number of people can even talk to Yoshida :<

Epcott

edit:

Well that's good news.

For this being the year of the 25 anniversary of the franchise that started the company, for them to only come to E3 with 2 games with to represent it would be sad. Although, I was expecting a FF blowout this year.

Edit: reads Kagari's reply... throws hands in the air.

Toth

"Basically skipping E3" is true though... no trailer, no booth presence... and only a very limited number of people can even talk to Yoshida :<

Yeah but the way the game is progressing now, I think we will get something interesting. Yoshi is such a proud dad and FFXIV is his baby girl now so he can't wait to show her off XD

Lhexh

This means it is not going to muck up vanafest too thank god. This is good news. New expansion for XI LET'S GO!!

Top Bottom