• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U is Identical to other Platforms

Eideka

Banned
Good news for Wii U owners. http://wii.mmgn.com/News/assassins-creed-3-wii-u-same-as-ps3-xbox-360
http://www.nineinchsandwich.com/?p=10545

While it might seem disheartening that a game on a new platform is apparently so similar to its cross-platform counterparts, Mr Hutchinson sees it as a good thing.

"It is exactly the same game that's on the other platforms. And I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's been a long time since I've shipped a game on more than three platforms where you could say it's all the same. It's not like some radically diminished version, so that's exciting."

No downgrade of any sort it seems.

No downgrade of any sort it seems.

Is this what's being counted as a win for Wii U hardware now?

Anyways, I still wouldn't rule out framerate problems or something, wait for analysis. You know how this PR nonsense is.

Hey, parity is, something. Good or bad it's something. It implies Wii U isn't weaker than PS360.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not that I don't believe or care but we shouldn't need any confirmation for this and it's also best to wait for a DF breakdown.

Exactly the same as which other platform though, as the 360 and PS3 versions have never been identical (PS3 has/had terrible screen tearing)?

nickcv

Is this what's being counted as a win for Wii U hardware now?

Anyways, I still wouldn't rule out framerate problems or something, wait for analysis. You know how this PR nonsense is.

Hey, parity is, something. Good or bad it's something. It implies Wii U isn't weaker than PS360.

if you look at how EA handles fifa and his other release, yes, this is quite a victory...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"Praise us because we didn't make the port complete crap!"

Okay, Ubisoft. Whatevs.

Eideka

Banned
current gen game look the same on all current gen hardware.

this is news now?

I believe some people were worried that the Wii U version would be inferior (they were reports of missing features not too long ago).

This should clear their minds.

mclem

According to them it's an achievement that a console released in 2012 does not receive an inferior port.

Go figure.

It's an achievement when *any* non-lead console recieves a competent port.

It really shouldn't be. But it really is. Think of how many crappy PS3 versions of titles that led on the Xbox there are - and, less commonly but still real - poorer 360 versions of titles that led on the PS3.

nickcv

actually guys i think that it should be read as "we didn't have to strip any features from it"

we already know it has more features, and therefore they are not identical per se, and that also does not imply that there won't be some other improvement from the other two console version.

imho, what he is saying is that content-wise they are identical, and that's it.
can it have a better/more steady frame rate? yes it could.

AndTAR

I guess he is just talking features. There could probably be minor graphical upgrades, such as better texture quality due to the larger RAM. Would be silly not to take just slight advantage of that, anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Exactly the same as which other platform though, as the 360 and PS3 versions have never been identical (PS3 has/had terrible screen tearing)?
So does the 360 version. AC-Brotherhood was a god damned mess on 360 (and PS3, no doubt). Horrible framerate and loads of tearing.

The question I have is whether or not the WiiU version can actually improve upon those issues.

Eideka

Banned
imho what he is saying is that content-wise they are identical, and that's it.
can it have a better/more steady frame rate? yes it could.

You are reading too much into this. If AC 3 Wii U had additionnal features (graphics or framerate) then it would have already been mentionned and it would defeat Hutchinson's point.

8/10 for troll bait thread.
Thanks but that's not a troll thread. They were people genuinely worried about what AC 3 had to offer on Wii U, the news is not old and relevant for them.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This is good news considering this is what we heard the last time:

Supposedly the game performs 99% as well as its current gen counter parts, with missing lightings and particle effects creating the most apparent differences. From what we were told, Assassin’s Creed III is planned to match the graphics of the PS3 and Xbox360, not exceed them. However, this is highly dependant of how much time is actually given to work on the title.

Sure it's not saying much since it's new hardware - but IIRC the port started fairly late in the development cycle of AC3 (not sure).

That being said I'm pretty happy it's up to par - I'm getting the Wii U version because XBLG is running out in December and I actually do want the map on the GamePad. Considering how many times I used to pause the screen to look at the map in the AC games, this is beneficial to me.

nickcv

You are reading too much into this. If AC 3 Wii U had additionnal features (graphics or framerate) then it would have already been mentionned and it would defeat Hutchinson's point.

i don't really think its in their interest. i never seen devs saying "our game runs better on hw X" unless they are selling the X version a lot of time after the other release.
doing that they would render their investment to create the inferior version useless because people could not buy it / buy the other version.

i didn't recall Bethesda saying that the 360 version of Skyrim runs better before they actually released the game.

imho of course

I'm not following the thought process here. It's "good news" that a system that hasn't even been released won't get a downgraded version in relation to systems that are 7 years old?

Having it running identical to each is a feat, but this doesn't seem 'exciting' considering one of the systems is a new generation.

Larsen B

Thanks but that's not a troll thread. They were people genuinely worried about what AC 3 had to offer on Wii U, the news is not old and relevant for them.

I think any Wii U thread, no matter the good intentions, will devolve into the same discussion.

I'm not following the thought process here. It's "good news" that a system that hasn't even been released yet won't get a downgraded version in relation to systems that are 7 years old?

Having it running identical to each is a feat, but this doesn't seem 'exciting' considering one of the systems is a new generation.

But they worked hard to achieve that!

His choice of words is really a little bit strange

King_Moc

Banned
To be fair, i don't remember too many consoles releasing where devs were instantly able to make it perform at its absolute best. If Wii U is able to hit the top level of what other consoles are doing on launch day, then that's good isn't it? Especially with this being a port.

I'm not following the thought process here. It's "good news" that a system that hasn't even been released won't get a downgraded version in relation to systems that are 7 years old?

yes i think that running worse would be a possibility since its a new console and the developers are not familiar with it.

Gemüsepizza;43547071 said:
"Good news for Wii U owners"

"exactly the same game"

"exciting"

How's that not good news? Game runs good. Graphics shouldn't matter. I don't get the whole "7 year old tech" fiasco when WiiU is in some aspects similar to current-gen consoles and in some aspects better. Devs will aim for the lower integer first and as the console matures, they will aim for the higher integer.

Enjoy the development process. It's how its always been.

AndTAR

That being said I'm pretty happy it's up to par - I'm getting the Wii U version because XBLG is running out in December and I actually do want the map on the GamePad. Considering how many times I used to pause the screen to look at the map in the AC games, this is beneficial to me.

Right to the point there. For these kind of navigation-heavy games, I expect even such a simple change to notably improve the gameplay flow, by making pausing the screen optional, instead of necessary.

Even in the light of developers concerned about the porting workload for the graphics, I still do expect this version to look slightly better. Marginally better textures, if nothing else.

omonimo

Banned
Depending on who was doing the port, it could have easily been shitty. Nothing really to do with the system's hardware

I repeat, how? The developers should be completely idiot... we have the quadruple of video RAM, even with an RSX spec would be impossible to screw the graphic. It's quite bizarre, indeed, they can't achieve better features with so more RAM.

Hanmik

is there really any multiplatform games announced for the Wii-U that is "better" in the Wii-U..? just asking, because I think these kind of topics are pretty pointless right now.

Erethian

It's always going to be an issue when launching new hardware, because you need to do all the stuff like porting the engine and content creation tools while getting familiar with a new architecture.

Unless a developer really has the time to put the effort in or is working on an exclusive title, I don't expect much in the way of improvements. There's also the economic incentive, of course, which isn't great when it comes to making multiplats. Like the idea that someone would leverage the different strengths of the 360 and PS3 to improve each version in applicable areas is something you almost never see.

Eideka

Banned
is there really any multiplatform games announced for the Wii-U that is "better" in the Wii-U..? just asking, because I think these kind of topics are pretty pointless right now.

Alien Colonial Marines and others as far as I know.

Top Bottom