• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

Bittercup

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played ME3 since I could never bring myself to finish the second one but the original ME is one of my favorite western RPG's of all time. I think these screens from the PC screenshot thread sum up the reasons why quite well (not mine):
Wow, these are beautiful.

Glad PS3ers can enjoy such a great game. Bitter disappointment can come later (at least if you're just getting into the franchise), but for now, it's good to enjoy the wonders of the galaxy.

I sure wish they ever return to the actual space exploration. One of my favorite feelings this gen.

Yuripaw

Banned
My copy of the ME Trilogy (EU version) just arrived:
cimg2018hrl35.jpg

ME1 has a mandatory install (says 3566MB on the back) and is taking rather long.
Sadly no manual. Just the usual 5 pages black&white with security and health informations etc.

I can make screenshots when the install is complete :) 47%

Soon as you start playing it, you gotta report on how it looks and performs. I know it's probably crazy to think it could run any better than the xbox 360 version, especially after the PS3 versions of ME2, and ME3...but I can dream.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, ME1 fans are in for rude awakening after PS3 owners get their hands on this game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm from Austria (the game as well ^^)

Yes the Trophies are the same.

Seriously, this is the longest install I've ever had. At least 40min.
The info on the box is incorrect: 4272MB install size.
Bummer. Thanks for the confirmation. I hope you get a chance to post your impressions of the game performance after you finish Eden Prime.

cimg2018hrl35.jpg

ME1 has a mandatory install (says 3566MB on the back) and is taking rather long.
Sadly no manual. Just the usual 5 pages black&white with security and health informations etc.

ME1 is retail? Didn't know, thought it would be a download code in the trilogy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
cimg2018hrl35.jpg

Nice, if you post any screenshots I will stick them in the the first post seeing as they seemingly haven't released any official ones, lol.

I'm from Austria (the game as well ^^)

Yes the Trophies are the same.

Seriously, this is the longest install I've ever had. At least 40min.
The info on the box is incorrect: 4272MB install size.

Damn, same trophies, well that is going to be a pain if only for having to spam the biotic ones, lol.
I'll stick the extra info in the first post too, are there any hidden trophies or could you take a picture or list of them all and which are bronze/silver/gold?

And damn, big install.

ME1 is retail? Didn't know, thought it would be a download code in the trilogy.

We've known for a couple weeks that each was its own disc in its own box.

Bittercup

Soon as you start playing it, you gotta report on how it looks and performs. I know it's probably crazy to think it could run any better than the xbox 360 version, especially after the PS3 versions of ME2, and ME3...but I can dream.
Unfortunately I have an appointment I have to go soon, therefore I won't be able to play further than Eden Prime right now. But I will in a few hours :)

At least up to Eden Prime I didn't have any texture pop-in problems (just for a split second when you see Eden Prime for the first time) and the performance feels smooth.
Graphics seem on par with the other versions. Shadows sometimes flicker or look rough on faces but I remember them being quite bad on the PC version and they are by far not as bad on the PS3 version and the flickering only appears sometimes, most of the time they look fine.
Just some quick screenshots from the beginning. The first image has the rough shadows on Joker, on the second image they are fine :)

Nemesis_

I haven't played ME3 since I could never bring myself to finish the second one but the original ME is one of my favorite western RPG's of all time. I think these screens from the PC screenshot thread sum up the reasons why quite well (not mine):

The skyboxes really are just so beautiful, so fantastic. They make me want to live in the world despite an impending Reaper threat. ;_;

Bittercup

The standard control is aim/shoot on L2 and R2 but you can change this in the options.
In the graphics menu film grain and motion blur can be deactivated.
Quit to main menu is hidden in the options menu, not directly at the normal menu you get with pressing Start.
I'm not sure but I haven't found how you can map powers on more hotkeys. Just R2 (R1) instead of L2,R2 and Triangle (that's already used for medi-gel healing) as in ME2/3.

some more images (this time without film grain) before I have to go

Mad_Ban

Oh, didn't notice in the hectic. They are downsized, not native res.
I'll make proper ones when I'm back. Sorry :(

Haha no need to be sorry :p I just saw the images were at like 1100x600 and I was worried they'd lowered the resolution for this port.

kitzkozan

Oh, didn't notice in the hectic. They are downsized, not native res.
I'll make proper ones when I'm back. Sorry :(

I'm wondering if the "mini games" are from the 360 or PC version? I'm also curious to see if they actually used the PC options to command your allies or if it's like on the 360.

Bladenic

Well definitely will not be Platinuming the entire trilogy then. Already got ME3 platinum and close to 2, but no way in hell am I getting ME1's. I hated those achievements on the 360 version. Blargh.

RPGCrazied

All I want to know does the first one screen tear? The others don't, but the first one did on the 360. I hope its vsynced.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Any idea how much this is going to cost on the UK PSN store?

Going by the typical conversion on other PlayStation Store games, if it is indeed $14.99 when it arrives later in the US it should be £11.99 for the UK, on an extra good store day we would get a plus discount too, but I doubt it.

Patryn

Probably. We'll see.

Thankfully, I am secure enough in my love for the game that I can get over PS3 players hating it. I already accept that the consensus is that ME2 is the crown jewel of the series despite my disagreement with that idea.

Bittercup

I'm wondering if the "mini games" are from the 360 or PC version? I'm also curious to see if they actually used the PC options to command your allies or if it's like on the 360.
Like on the 360. The port is based on the 360 version as far as I know. Interface is the same as well. Not the one from the PC version.

All I want to know does the first one screen tear? The others don't, but the first one did on the 360. I hope its vsynced.
I didn't see any tearing. I would suspect it's vsynced.

xion4360

Why do you think PS3 gamers won't like it? Technical issues? The 360 version was a technical mess as well. Didn't stop most people from appreciating it though.

Its the gameplay. ME1 just feels like a different game than ME2 and 3. Not that people who have played 2 or 3 wont like it, just that they might be surprised by how different it feels compared to the other 2.

pargonta

looks great to me... the shadow on femshep's face is better yes? i remember them being very very pixelated in the original xbox vers.

edit: oh, that's already been talked about... the roughness is still there sometimes...fuuuu

Trick_GSF

Banned
Going by the typical conversion on other PlayStation Store games, if it is indeed $14.99 when it arrives later in the US it should be £11.99 for the UK, on an extra good store day we would get a plus discount too, but I doubt it.

That's pretty good. Really looking forward to finally playing this.

Cheers for letting me know.

Dany

Banned
I'm not sure but I haven't found how you can map powers on more hotkeys. Just R2 (R1) instead of L2,R2 and Triangle (that's already used for medi-gel healing) as in ME2/3.

some more images (this time without film grain) before I have to go

That's how it was on Mass effect 1. Only one power is hotkeyed so you're in the radial menu more often in this game.

Lothars

Got the series (all DLC) on PC and 360 on their release's, finally getting all three for PS3. Yeah I have a problem. It might be that I want to play ME1 again.
It's not a problem, only way to do it. I've been doing the same thing and plan to pick up all Mass Effect on PS3 as well.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Embargo is over. Looks like it still has issues.

Colin Moriarty said:
Oh, so I can talk about Mass Effect on PS3 now. It's totally the same for the most part, but there is some strangeness.....long loading times, severe texture pop-in at times, and I had this one time where the framerate dropped so badly that I had to restart.

But my review won't be up 'til later this week. I want to beat the game and see how it connects to ME3 on PS3 before rendering a verdict. If you're interested in it, it'll be live today on the PSN for $14.99 on its own (or you can download the entire trilogy for $59.99).

https://twitter.com/notaxation/

Bittercup

Foxix Von

We do and he will, same for any other side things that require a save ME1, Conrad Verner, Captain Kirrahe etc. will now be in the later games.

Fantastic

Now I just need to decide whether I download it or buy the trilogy over again to have on disc... Assuming it's a decent port anyway.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There is also a bunch of minor ME1 characters that shows up in ME2 that i assume were not there before on ME2 PS3 before the Trilogy package. Like Fist, Helena, that "Thorian Asari", Parsini or the Asari in Virmire before
you meet Sovereign
. Am i missing anything else?

Assuming you don't kill any of them. :D Should be worth it for PS3 players new to ME1 to replay ME2.

Top Bottom