• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: The Cult of Kaz Hirai. GAF members interviewed.

spwolf

No, I won't close my browser and I'd kindly ask you to keep your less than helpful opinions to yourself.

I don't care about Microsoft, why even bring them up? It's not relevant to the discussion at hand, which is the overuse of gifs in the meeting thread and my hope that it won't be replicated in the livestream thread.

Indeed, I was following the thread and will admit I laughed when the first gifs were posted, it was done in the best intentions, but it soon infected the thread and made it annoying to browse. This was doubly annoying as the thread grew so much over the course of a few hours that you naturally assumed that some big news had broken.

I know others love them, which is why I didn't see any point in raising the point in the thread, but I do feel it was overkill and I only mentioned it now in the hopes that it wouldn't go on to be replicated in and make the livestream thread annoying to browse through as well.

well I hope it will be replicated :).

You are not fun at all. Be more fun. Live a little. Enjoy Gifs!

p.s. I am sure you can download some extension for chrome or firefox that lets you disable gifs. Here, simple google search gave us this result:
http://www.simplehelp.net/2011/08/04/how-to-disable-animated-gifs-in-google-chrome/

install and enjoy.

Shahed

This is a thing? I don't buy it. I think it's obvious few if any people actually care about Kaz himself. It's really all about the PS4. Kaz just works as he has more source material than most.

I just see it all as harmless fun. Sure there'll be be a few Sony warrior's being a bit too hopeful/serious, but at the same time there's Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys taking insult at the gifs unnecessarily as well. It's just a joke, and it'll die off soon enough

nib95

Banned
My Kratos made it to their article lol.

nib95KratosKaz.jpg

There is no need to decipher things or any genuine worship, its just fun

They interviewed me too, and that was essentially my response. That I don't have any particular affinity to Kaz Hirai, outside of a general respect for his position and vision for Sony. That the GIF's/shops were in the name of fun.

tipoo

Banned
I feel like the writers miss the tone of...Well, the entire internet. Blogs like Kim Jong Il looking at things don't make the followers of it a "cult", it's a humorous representation, a meme. While Kaz seems actually pretty cool (and not much like the Kims I hope) posting gifs of him doesn't make anyone a cultist, it's just a current running meme.

well I hope it will be replicated :).

You are not fun at all. Be more fun. Live a little. Enjoy Gifs!

p.s. I am sure you can download some extension for chrome or firefox that lets you disable gifs. Here, simple google search gave us this result:
http://www.simplehelp.net/2011/08/04/how-to-disable-animated-gifs-in-google-chrome/

install and enjoy.

Thank you for the link. I'll investigate further after I've had lunch.

I don't mind gifs but only in moderation. Like this thread, the few posted aren't annoying, but the frequency and number posted in the meeting thread was obscene.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel like the writers miss the tone of...Well, the entire internet. Blogs like Kim Jong Il looking at things don't make the followers of it a "cult", it's a humorous representation, a meme. While Kaz seems actually pretty cool (and not much like the Kims I hope) posting gifs of him doesn't make anyone a cultist, it's just a current running meme.
The worst thing is that it isn't even current. GAF and the rest of the web have been doing this for years. It's just a bit more concentrated at the moment.

No, I won't close my browser and I'd kindly ask you to keep your less than helpful opinions to yourself.

I don't care about Microsoft, why even bring them up? It's not relevant to the discussion at hand, which is the overuse of gifs in the meeting thread and my hope that it won't be replicated in the livestream thread.

Indeed, I was following the thread and will admit I laughed when the first gifs were posted, it was done in the best intentions, but it soon infected the thread and made it annoying to browse. This was doubly annoying as the thread grew so much over the course of a few hours that you naturally assumed that some big news had broken.

I know others love them, which is why I didn't see any point in raising the point in the thread, but I do feel it was overkill and I only mentioned it now in the hopes that it wouldn't go on to be replicated in and make the livestream thread annoying to browse through as well.

Hey Quaritch! What do you say? You and I stop by the MLP and Kpop threads next and let them know how their sense of fun and humor is making us annoyed, Yeah?

Tell them to stop posting dem gifs of Asian teenage girls jumping up and down and making peace signs with thier hands, it's annoying the shit out of us, you and I, the more mature pop music fans. Are you with me buddy?

All we want to do is watch the live stream of "The Next Korean Pop Idol" in peace at home on our Internet, but those guys have to ruin the fun with their silly gifs!!

Dawg

those gifs are more than annoying once they pop up when a new positive thread about sony gets posted here. i really think some people are worshiping the guy. i feel bad because they are worshiping the wrong person. :(

also its pretty easy to make a GAF hype train for the ps4 announcement when all avatars have his face, just post a bunch of it in the train and its done.

unlike this bad boy, GAF Nintendo Hype Train

I don't see why one GAF hype train should be easier than the other one? It's just time consuming to place all the heads/characters in the train, it's not actually harder to put nintendo characters in there instead of kaz hirai avatars.

Also, your comment is all like "Nintendo gifs are ok, but sony gifs are bad".

I didn't even make kaz gifs because I worship the guy, but simply because I do hope sony will get their shit together and because it's... fun. SOme of you guys are just hating sony at this point for no reason at all.

Hey Quaritch! What do you say? You and I stop by the MLP and Kpop threads next and let them know how their sense of fun and humor is making us annoyed, Yeah?

Tell them to stop posting dem gifs of Asian teenage girls jumping up and down and making peace signs with thier hands, it's annoying the shit out of us, you and I, the more mature pop music fans. Are you with me buddy?

Let me stop you right there, your poor attempt to edit my posts to make an equally poorly thought out point/score a cheap shot only serves to make you look extremely foolish.

I laid out my position very clearly, do not selectively quote my posts to make some poorly thought out point. It's not clever nor is it relevant to the specific point I was addressing.

Let me stop you right there, your poor attempt to edit my posts to make an equally poorly thought out point/score a cheap shot only serves to make you look extremely foolish.

I laid out my position very clearly, do not selectively quote my posts to make some poorly thought out point. It's not clever nor is it relevant to the specific point I was addressing.

Hahahaha! The only reason I edited your post, was because it's was just a long, winded, drivel...had no other intention but to save page space.

I put the whole thing back there, and I'll be sure to quote you full from now on, my apologies.

So yeah...now what's your defense? Your excuse? LOL!

I said what I had to say, I made my point. If my argument isn't clever than please explain yourself dear friend. Don't just say "your post isn't clever" why is it not?

Hahahaha! The only reason I edited your post, was because it's was just a long, winded, drivel...had no other intention but to save page space.

I put the whole thing back there, and I'll be sure to quote you full from now on, my apologies.

So yeah...now what's your defense? Your excuse? LOL!

I feel it's poor form for you to insult me and my posting style. I take time to articulate the message and thoughts I am trying to convey so there might be no misunderstanding. If you find them so long winded and full of drivel, you are of course free to ignore my posts and simply not respond.

I don't need a defence. I don't browse the K-POP thread nor do I browse the My Little Pony thread. If I did, I might take issue with the number of gifs being posted, but I don't, so I have no feeling one way or the other with regards to those threads.

I do browse gaming threads, I have a special interest in the meeting thread as I am extremely excited for the next generation, so it being infected with gifs and nothing else after a certain point is annoying.

I feel it's poor form for you to insult me and my posting style. I take time to articulate the message and thoughts I am trying to convey so there might be no misunderstanding. If you find them so long winded and full of drivel, you are of course free to ignore my posts and simply not respond.

I don't need a defence. I don't browse the K-POP thread nor do I browse the My Little Pony thread. If I did, I might take issue with the number of gifs being posted, but I don't, so I have no feeling one way or the other with regards to those threads.

I do browse gaming threads, I have a special interest in the meeting thread as I am extremely excited for the next generation, so it being infected with gifs and nothing else after a certain point is annoying.

I'm not insulting you at all, I apologize if you feel insulted (naturally) after me pointing out the flaw in your initial argument.

You're annoyed by the number of gifs in a thread that has people excited about a grand annoucment relating to their hobby. People merely having fun, enjoying themselves, because they share a common passion. And they are expressing their excitement through animated gifs. You seem to be bothered by this and numerous times telling people to stop doing it, without seeing how selfish you sound.

Subtle

I wish there was a new face of Sony. Like Reggie, he's too ugly to be plastered everywhere.

Edit: Except for KazxReggie GIFs. So good.

rouken

I don't see why one GAF hype train should be easier than the other one? It's just time consuming to place all the heads/characters in the train, it's not actually harder to put nintendo characters in there instead of kaz hirai avatars.

Also, your comment is all like "Nintendo gifs are ok, but sony gifs are bad".

I didn't even make kaz gifs because I worship the guy, but simply because I do hope sony will get their shit together and because it's... fun. SOme of you guys are just hating sony at this point for no reason at all.

no i don't hate sony at all, im indifferent to them. i give my opinions on who they do things with their consoles and games and that's it.

on the topic of worshiping kaz, i get that it's really fun doing all those gifs, why would you make them in the first place if it isn't right?

what i notice is that some of the gifs are definitely made to take a shot at other certain executives of other companies, while it might be all true what the makers are trying to portray, it definitely makes the flames go bigger and in the end people argue. all companies are not perfect, no console is better than the other. blah blah :)

also, having kaz avatars really shows the faith the user has on him and how hyped up they are about the event. its unconditional love. :)

Moofers

Two Things:

First, I finished this one that somebody else started. Now its a masterpiece.
NotReady_zps23f075cc.jpg

Second, I made this one better:

DroptheBomb_zpsc5fde9f2.jpg

That is all. :)

PlayStation 4, muthafuckas!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I made my avatar because I think it's absurd and very much fun.

I don't believe Kaz is an amazing CEO or Ballmer/Mattrick/Reggie is evil. I don't know these people, I see them at most an hour a year in a rehearsed press conference.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was thinking the same hahaha well we just need to wait and see

It would be a backfire if Sony promised certain things. I think it's safe to go in with no expectations instead of artificially making some and the calling then conference a fail or win.

zoukka

It would be a backfire if Sony promised certain things. I think it's safe to go in with no expectations instead of artificially making some and the calling then conference a fail or win.

It would be a self-made backfire for the whole Kaz carnival. Sony doesn't have much to do with it you are right about that.

The gif must be then remade. Sony fans are approaching kaz and he kicks the fuck out of their expectations.

Isn't this article missing the point entirely? Memes just kind of take on a life of their own, it's not really a cult of personality.

I'm not insulting you at all, I apologize if you feel insulted (naturally) after me pointing out the flaw in your initial argument.

You're annoyed by the number of gifs in a thread that has people excited about a grand annoucment relating to their hobby. People merely having fun, enjoying themselves, because they share a common passion. And they are expressing their excitement through animated gifs. You seem to be bothered by this and numerous times telling people to stop doing it, without seeing how selfish you sound.

You pointed out no such flaws in my argument outside of making false equivalences. I addressed this. So the issue remains, you insulted both me and my posting style for no other reason than you felt frustrated that you failed to make your ill thought out point.

I also made no such comment telling people to stop doing it. I said I found it annoying and hoped it wouldn't be replicated in the livestream thread. You seem to have been considerable trouble comprehending my posts or you're wilfully making false statements, such as my telling people to stop doing it.

As I said, poor form. If I were a petty individual I would report your insulting me to the moderators, but I am not and would not like to see anyone banned before the bedlam that it due mere hours from now.

iceatcs

I find it funny because I can see they choose the best crazy answers from us. Because none of my answers seem match on this article.

Donos

For the people that are annoyed that they can't have a decent discussion in the Meeting thread because of gifs, avatars, "all over my balls" and Kazual poems posts, i wanted to say that every possible aspect/outcome of the Meeting got it's own thread with a more serious tone and discussions. Be it controller, specs, gaikai, what games are going to be shown etc. The meeting thread is still open for sole purpose of hype,gifs and some casual talk.

Big part why many gifs showing KAz beating or doing "bad things" to MS/Mattrick/Balmer Balmer was because eveybody expected MS to come out first and strong with his console. Kaz said, they are going to react to MS and suddenly the meeting got announced (combined with leaks which indicate that Orbis>Durango). That was just a suprise wich got people from 0 hype to 110.

I hope the conference thread will have stricter rules on gifs although it's going to move with the speed of light with posts alone.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Did you read some of the responses in this thread?
Could you quote them? I specifically flew over all the replies in this thread to find "those responses" and the only thing that is borderline dumb is the stuff in the OP. And the "Loads of butthurt Nintendo/MS fanboys in this thread." post.

But let's be honest, the ones from the OP are cherry picked to fit with the article.

You pointed out no such flaws in my argument outside of making false equivalences. I addressed this. So the issue remains, you insulted both me and my posting style for no other reason than you felt frustrated that you failed to make your ill thought out point.

I also made no such comment telling people to stop doing it. I said I found it annoying and hoped it wouldn't be replicated in the livestream thread. You seem to have been considerable trouble comprehending my posts or you're wilfully making false statements, such as my telling people to stop doing it.

As I said, poor form. If I were a petty individual I would report your insulting me to the moderators, but I am not and would not like to see anyone banned before the bedlam that it due mere hours from now.

Ok now you are really getting frustrating. It's one thing to see the bigger picture by someone who points it out to you, acknowledging it and carrying on, another thing being in denial, threatening to "report" that person to moderators and trying desperately to dodge the argument by twisting your words, you may not literally use the word "stop" but you several times asking people to not act a certain way on an Internet thread, just because you are annoyed by their behavior that has nothing to do with you, not targeted at you in any shape or form. Don't you find that just a tad bit selfish? And could you please, please explain to me how exactly comparing your hobby and passion to someone else's hobby is a "false equivalence"??? You keep saying "I addressed the issue" but you have not, so could you please? Maybe even quote yourself where you addressed it from previous posts? Huh?

Ok now you are really getting frustrating. It's one thing to see the bigger picture by someone who points it out to you, acknowledging it and carrying on, another thing being in denial, threatening to "report" that person to moderators and trying desperately to dodge the argument by twisting your words, you may not literally use the word "stop" but you several times asking people to not act a certain way on an Internet thread, just because you are annoyed by their behavior that has nothing to do with you, not targeted at you in any shape or form. Don't you find that just a tad bit selfish? And could you please, please explain to me how exactly comparing your hobby and passion to someone else's hobby is a "false equivalence"??? You keep saying "I addressed the issue" but you have not, so could you please? Maybe even quote yourself where you addressed it from previous posts? Huh?

Again, I made no such attempt to make people act a certain way nor did I try to imply it. My finding those gifs annoying and hoping such a infestation of gifs wouldn't be in the livestream thread isn't doing anything outside presenting my hopes to the person I was responding to. I haven't expressed my annoyance in the thread in question, I expressed it here and only did so in response to a post that claimed that if you didn't like them you were in the "other camp" and hoping the Sony presser would backfire.

You're the one attributing aspects such my wanting people to act a certain way or implying they stop to my words and posts. You're the one who is having trouble comprehending my very simple posts. You're the one who is having trouble with context.

I addressed it very plainly, I find it worrying you'd ask this as you quoted the post in question. I laid out why you were wrong very clearly, go back and read the post in question.

SelfCon

I made my avatar because I think it's absurd and very much fun.

I don't believe Kaz is an amazing CEO or Ballmer/Mattrick/Reggie is evil. I don't know these people, I see them at most an hour a year in a rehearsed press conference.

Bingo.

Derrick01

Banned
As usual the internet does tend to run humorous things into the ground and then after doing so takes it too far. It went from awesome jokes and gifs to actual fanboy worship like with Iwata, and that bothers me.

As usual the internet does tend to run humorous things into the ground and then after doing so takes it too far. It went from awesome jokes and gifs to actual fanboy worship like with Iwata, and that bothers me.

See it on things like Tumblr all the time. People are joking around then suddenly a new person enters; takes it all seriously and in some cases becomes aggressive over things. Maddness ensues and no one is having fun any more.

I worry what we've all done. Theres got to be a few lurkers waiting to come in and go crazy with the Kaz love.

Wouldn't say the Iwata think is fanboy worshipping; its just we see him for 10-15 minutes every other week.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think people on the outside are looking into this too deeply.

It happened because it's funny. That's kind of it.

Top Bottom