• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

ironcreed

Banned
I want to be able to see and judge the game they made for the vast majority of people first before diving into suicide mode.

I'm with ya, I always play on normal first. If I love a game enough and want to play it again, then I might hop into hard mode for another run.

Geoff9920

Maybe I'm not "hardcore" enough, but to me 1999 mode sounds like something you need to plan for. The type of difficulty where you'd want to know what the future encounters would be like so you could plan a proper build and playstyle.

antitrop

I've already finished Bioshock 1 and 2 at release (hated the second, consider the first a flawed masterpiece).

Never finished System Shock 2, and I even have it installed on my hard drive with all the latest graphics mods. I should really play that... it's like top 3 in my shame list.

Zeliard

I want to be able to see and judge the game they made for the vast majority of people first before diving into suicide mode. I might dive into 1999 mode first if I can be convinced it doesn't end up with similar failings as other game's hardcore modes though.

Yeah my only concern was that it wouldn't be very effective in what it changed, but it seems to be solid. Something like New Vegas' original Hardcore Mode before Sawyer overhauled it completely only looked at a few things and for the most part made trivial changes. This one seems a bit more all-encompassing and seems like it will have a significant effect on play.

I'm mainly attracted to the mode since it makes you specialize. I definitely prefer gameplay choices to have lasting consequences in games of this sort; the closer Bioshock gets to RPG, the better. If I make mistakes along the way, then I'll just have to work my way around them, but the trick to specialization is simply just that - specialize. When you try to spread talents around is when you really run into problems there.

tjohn86

I'm really excited for this. Are steam achievements, cloud, controller support confirmed?

I hope they start the preload soon!

I never played Bioshock 1 substantially, and by the time I was going to, Infinite got announced so I figured I'd wait for it so the experience is completely fresh. The closest Bioshock-like thing I've actually played substantially, was Dishonoured; and I wasn't feeling it. I found Dunwall interesting, but ultimately under-realized due to an anemic story. I also didn't like the gameplay because it felt imprecise to me. But Infinite still looks great to me, I'm hoping I that I just don't dishonoured, and not it's Bioshock influnce.

Fjordson

Hype. Feels like a lifetime ago that they put out that first reveal trailer. Glad we'll all finally get to play it.

I will fully admit to being a little superficial with Bioshock games. That dreaded word "immersion" is king with this series for me. As long as Columbia delivers as a setting like Rapture did with some decent exploration (decent for a shooter at least) then I'll be happy.

54-46!

I'm interested in seeing how this game turns out but I'm skeptical of the PC version given how the original Bioshock turned out.. will have to wait and see.

Looking forward to this game, really hope it's good cos I've been hyped for so long since that first video and the worrying development stories have put me off a bit :/

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Maybe I'm not "hardcore" enough, but to me 1999 mode sounds like something you need to plan for. The type of difficulty where you'd want to know what the future encounters would be like so you could plan a proper build and playstyle.

if it is like System Shock 2 you'll be just very short on resources/upgrades and that is it. If you like playing survival games then turn it on. I will keep it off.

bumpkin

Hmm... Anyone else who preordered the game online through Best Buy get double "Industrial Revolution" codes? I got two emails with two separate codes, but the other content (redemption instructions) seems to be identical.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm... Anyone else who preordered the game online through Best Buy get double "Industrial Revolution" codes? I got two emails with two separate codes, but the other content (redemption instructions) seems to be identical.

I would gladly take that other code off your hands.

Fina1e

Just a heads up to people who do not know, if you preorder the game on Steam you will get a free copy of Bioshock 1 and Xcom if you do preorder before the 26th.

Vasili2K38

In my case of course 1999 mode full powah XD. I love resource management and having to choose carefully what you get and improve. Anyway, I'm worried about the Move support, I fear it'll be a crappy third party one, I haven't found anything in the web talking about it, and my dear Move overlord TTP is MIA since December. I would love to have some impressions, but I'll have to wait a bit :/ .

Hype. Feels like a lifetime ago that they put out that first reveal trailer. Glad we'll all finally get to play it.

I will fully admit to being a little superficial with Bioshock games. That dreaded word "immersion" is king with this series for me. As long as Columbia delivers as a setting like Rapture did with some decent exploration (decent for a shooter at least) then I'll be happy.

Well, you'll be happy then. Don't worry mate.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

If I have any regrets, it’s that there are always more features that we wanted to add than we had time to implement. For example, some of the most requested PC features these days are in-game V-Sync and FOV adjustment controls. Unfortunately, given our tight sc—wait, never mind. We added those too!

Haha

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just a heads up to people who do not know, if you preorder the game on Steam you will get a free copy of Bioshock 1 and Xcom if you do preorder before the 26th.

And a bunch of TF2 items you can trade or sell on Steam Market.

Devil

Thanks for the feedback on the PS3 version!

Now I'm just waiting for someone besides IGN to say something about the 360 version. I personally prefer the 360 controller to dualshock anytime if it comes to shooters.

edit:
Oh, and nice OT. Subscribed of course :)

haha dude sorry, I've talked it about it in a few interviews. Working atm but a few features include: resurrection costs cash (since cash availability already differs in the mode rez expenditures come out of an already stretched-thin wallet with funds you need to use on upgrades), all foes revert to full HP on death, if you die without cash for a rez you'll have to load a quicksave, stuff like that. If some fool just stumbled into the mode thinking it was standard Hard or whatever he'd get massacred and hate the game. It's Derrick mode. Are you a bad enough dude to go full Derrick TM?

That's awesome, I was replaying bioshock and i realized why I hated those things. I could just throw myself at enemies with no regards to planning or skill. And when you had these big conflicts against big daddies, it really made doing it right "tm" less important.

I turned off the vita chambers in bioshock, but 1999 mode sounds like a great mix.

Yea, and fuck it, I never have time to replay games, I'm jumping right in to 1999. Last year's XCom was the last game where I played it twice (once classic, then classic Ironman), and with some big changes in life coming down the pipe I doubt I'll be doing that much more.

AEREC

Gonna go through on hard first as that should give an idea of the best vigors/upgrades to use for 1999 mode. Sounds like it would be insane to start on 1999 mode unless you used a guide...then where's the fun in that?

When are we supposed to receive X-Com, release day ?

I ask because I already got my gift-able Bioshock 1 copy.

Also, is 1999 mode a legit mode with some thought and planning been put into or is it just "enemies get %300 health, deal %100 more damage and you only get %50 of the money" type of deal ?

P.S. as I already said, I have an extra copy of Bio 1, if you want it just PM, quote, whatever and its yours.

noffles

Banned
Also, is 1999 mode a legit mode with some thought and planning been put into or is it just "enemies get %300 health, deal %100 more damage and you only get %50 of the money" type of deal ?

"It’s not simply a matter of adjusting the difficulty sliders in the game – the team went much further than that. Resource planning? If you’re to survive this mode, proper planning will be crucial. Combat specializations? You’ll need to develop them efficiently and effectively throughout the story; any weapon will be useless to you unless you have that specialization. Combat? You will need to carefully target every shot, and your health will be set to an entirely different baseline. Game saves? Well, yes, there will be those, but according to Irrational Games Creative Director Ken Levine “there are game saves, and you’re gonna f***ing need them.”"

Basically, it's going to be amazing.

Zeliard

That's awesome, I was replaying bioshock and i realized why I hated those things. I could just throw myself at enemies with no regards to planning or skill. And when you had these big conflicts against big daddies, it really made doing it right "tm" less important.

I turned off the vita chambers in bioshock, but 1999 mode sounds like a great mix.

Yeah it's cool that the Vita-Chamber-equivalents in this game play into the economy. And enemies regen full HP if you use them, so you can't just corpse-run.

ironcreed

Banned
For those who are thinking of pre-ordering on PSN, you will get the first Bioshock to download for free right away. You also get a theme right away, and if you are a PS+ member, you will be getting a free DLC weapon pack on launch as well. Just a heads up for those considering it.

AAK

In my case of course 1999 mode full powah XD. I love resource management and having to choose carefully what you get and improve. Anyway, I'm worried about the Move support, I fear it'll be a crappy third party one, I haven't found anything in the web talking about it, and my dear Move overlord TTP is MIA since December. I would love to have some impressions, but I'll have to wait a bit :/ .

Yeah... the last game that didn't advertise their MOVE implementation was Ninja Gaiden 3... and we all saw how that turned out. I am however preordering it... but I don't think I'll be able to play until 2 weeks after when my exams finish.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
So if I understood right,if I pre-order this from Steam,I don't have to download XCom right away right? it wont do it automatically or is there an option to make sure it doesn't...? I want to gift Bioshock 1 and download XCom at a later time,like after my monthly bandwith cap starts over for the next month...I only want to start the pre download of Infinite so I can play on the 26th...

XCom will just be in your inventory ready to trade or activate when you wish

Ricker

So if I understood right,if I pre-order this from Steam,I don't have to download XCom right away right? it wont do it automatically or is there an option to make sure it doesn't...? I want to gift Bioshock 1 and download XCom at a later time,like after my monthly bandwith cap starts over for the next month...I only want to start the pre download of Infinite so I can play on the 26th...

Top Bottom