• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

pringles

The changes to the game sound amazing actually, making me kinda want to play this version even though I've already beaten the game 3 times.

Don't know if it's been reported here but the FR website Gameblog played this version of the game and confirmed the Off TV Play option.

Also, they say we can not only annotate the map on the Gamepad, but also add/register vocal annotations with the Gamepad mic. and share it via Miiverse.

There's a NewGame+ mode.

They also say the Wii U version is visually cleaner than the PS360 version with better AA.

--- my bad they played the game!

majik13

Don't know if it's been reported here but the FR website Gameblog played this version of the game and confirmed the Off TV Play option.

Also, they say we can not only annotate the map on the Gamepad, but also add/register vocal annotations with the Gamepad mic. and share it via Miiverse.

There's a NewGame+ mode.

They also say the Wii U version is visually cleaner than the PS360 version with better AA.

so is this saying you can record and post audio to miiverse? or is it just some mistranslation? If so is that newsworthy or somethign we already knew was coming and I missed it?

Effect

I'll say it until Im' heard.

No Wiimote controls, no buy.

I think this needs to be said before some get confused or start getting turned off for the wrong reasons. Deus Ex is an RPG that happens to have shooting in it. It isn't a shooter. That's why there were so many complaints in regard to the boss fights and how they didn't fit with how the rest of the game designed. Think more, not the best comparisons, Elders Scroll or Fallout and massively less Call of Duty.

I enjoy the pointer control as much as the next person but they aren't needed for this game. In fact it might make things worse causing you to play it in a way it shouldn't be.. This isn't a shooter ala Call of Duty. Playing the game like that is likely to get your killed very quickly and some cases instantly do to the number of people shooting at you. There is a lot of cover based shooting. Or avoidance of combat. Sometimes melee is the best option or stealth. There are mods that increase the accuracy of your weapons so where you point isn't where you bullets will go in the end. Certain weapons have ranges as well.

DrWong

so is this saying you can record and post audio to miiverse? or is it just some mistranslation? If so is that newsworthy or somethign we already knew was coming and I missed it?

Yes, you can write or record your map annotations and post to Miiverse.

Edit: full quote in French >
- On peut prendre des notes directement sur l'écran tactile avec le stylet, sur la carte du jeu, pour par exemple ne pas oublier de revenir à un endroit précédemment visité
- On peut également prendre des notes audio : on s'enregistre directement avec le micro du Gamepad, et une icône apparaît à l'endroit où l'enregistrement est fait ; lorsqu'on passe dessus, ce dernier est joué.
- Il est enfin possible de partager via le Miiverse photos d'écran, notes écrites, et notes audio avec des amis.

mrgreen

Banned
Game + DLC, no new content, pointless gimmicks added, no mention of off-TV play, vague PR terms like "striking visual improvement".

I'm not impressed. Not at $50. Maybe at $15.

why would they sell the same game (but better) for just £15? Do you mean £15 because you've already bought it? It's not meant for people who have already bought the game on another machine. I wouldn't bother buying it again just for a few improvements, but it's great that games like this are coming out for and making use of the Wii U gadgets.

The salty anti wii u are at it again.

More games the better for me. I am sure I am not the only Wii U owner that has not
played this game yet.

Like I said before, the enhancements look really cool, will see if they hold up.

Now Wii U is not for everyone, you should get it if:

1. Love Nintendo Games
2. Like the gamepad idea

If we get titles like this, with the features promised, I only see them as extras in my book.

If you don't like the Wii U then good for you there are and will be other options out there.

Not everyone thinks like you, if ports are decent looking and the gamepad adds something to the game, some of us will pick the Wii U version. It is not always about graphics. For me it will depend on the port, if it looks decent enough and the features it brings.

By the way I own a PS3 and will own a PC.

majik13

Yes, you can write or record your map annotations and post to Miiverse.

Edit: full quote in French >

cool, wasnt aware they were gonna add audio recording support/posts for miiverse. I wonder if that will become a standard feature for every community. Or if it will only be avaliable inside the game, with integrated miiverse posts.

lucius

Game is great maybe I will triple dip if I ever get a WiiU, not for $50 though should launch at $40 at most. Even the vanilla digital console verison could be had for $15 a while back which I picked up besides day 1 retail version on 360.

There's a NewGame+ mode.

This is sounding better and better. Ugh. Too many games to play though.

Donnie

Owners of the Wii U better get used to this kind of thing.

With technical stats on par with the 360 and PS3 you're basically going to be stuck with "enhanced versions" of old games and crappy versions of new games.

Still not sure what the Big N was thinking...they need a new captain at the helm.

How can developers make enhanced PS3/360 games (in terms of graphics) on a system with "technical stats on par with the 360 and PS3"?, that's quite a conundrum you've posted there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
why i there the dramas in this thread?

There is drama in every Wii U game thread. People that don't own a Wii U feel an urge to shit on every Wii U game for some reason. Once there is some proof (reviews, videos) that actually the game could be good they usually stop.

All of the OP sounds much better than what I was anticipating for this game.

Pedneault insists these improvements wouldn't be possible on Xbox 360 simply because there's not enough disc space available. Neither, Dugas says, would the anti-aliasing, which wasn't present in the other console versions but is in the Wii U version.

"It's more powerful on the Wii U," Dugas says. "Even some of the graphics that were improved already on the 360 for The Missing Link, we were able to go a little bit farther with the Wii U, just because of the hardware. In terms of the shadows, which are smoothed out, it's much different than the Xbox version."

I've never done this before, but this will be the first time I buy the same game twice.

The_Lump

Banned
It's only a 7 page thread for christ's sake.

Sorry champ, but you were responding to this post

Best looking of the console versions I assume?

Because the PC version is beastly.

Which is clearly talking about the visuals. The guy you just quoted, however, didn't say the WiiU will have the best visuals, he just said 'definitive version' which could be interpreted in any number of ways. He didn't mention visuals.

Maybe there's someone else who said "WiiU version will look better than PC" but I'm struggling to find that post...

Jachaos

There's a NewGame+ mode.

Sounds nice

The_Lump

Banned

There's a NewGame+ mode.

Nice!

Fuck I would kill for new game + on the PC version, I was praying for it throughout the last third of my first playthrough.

Having said that, I'm now on my second run and having a total blast. The game is truly awesome, it's so rich. I played my first run very cautiously, not wanting to make mistakes or miss anything cool, while at the same time trying to 'act' in the game in a realistic manner (ie being affected by the tension of the scenarios, not mooching around too much when there was any sniff of tracking down Megan's killers). I really enjoyed it, but at the same time there was something agonising about it. And I suppose that's the case with any high-stakes story.

My second run has been so much freer. I don't give a fuck, I know the rules of the world and am just enjoying playing it, as a game. Instead of preserving life as much as possible, I'm capping fools and generally acting like a dick. I'm finding the slow grind of augmentations less worrisome now I know what I want and need. And I'm exploring a ton more. My first run through the
FEMA facility
was a panic-soaked exercise in total stealth. This time I've blown shit the fuck up, marching around whole areas I never saw before with grim impunity.

So in fact, despite what I said, the lack of new game + hasn't had that big an impact. I was playing last night and thinking WiiU owners should be very happy to have the game.

Akey

Banned
I picked this game up for like 5 dollars on steam sale like maybe a year ago I think. I have yet to get to it. I'm not sure what developers expect in terms of sales for a game this old. I can only hope this will lead to future development on wii u.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, I have to admit I didn't expect this game to see so many improvements compared to the original release: seriously, lots of things improved, and many nice original features using Wii U Gamepad, nice!

Exeunt

I think this needs to be said before some get confused or start getting turned off for the wrong reasons. Deus Ex is an RPG that happens to have shooting in it. It isn't a shooter. That's why there were so many complaints in regard to the boss fights and how they didn't fit with how the rest of the game designed. Think more, not the best comparisons, Elders Scroll or Fallout and massively less Call of Duty.

I enjoy the pointer control as much as the next person but they aren't needed for this game. In fact it might make things worse causing you to play it in a way it shouldn't be.. This isn't a shooter ala Call of Duty. Playing the game like that is likely to get your killed very quickly and some cases instantly do to the number of people shooting at you. There is a lot of cover based shooting. Or avoidance of combat. Sometimes melee is the best option or stealth. There are mods that increase the accuracy of your weapons so where you point isn't where you bullets will go in the end. Certain weapons have ranges as well.

Thanks for this post! I like the sound of this; I was thinking more Metroid Prime and less Call of Duty when I was wishing for pointer controls but posts here are making me think their absence isn't a huge deal. Hopefully the technical side of the port is solid.

Sounds like a pretty badass version, good for Wii U owners who didn't play it yet

I always meant to play this, but for my sins the idea got lost in the backlog. Portal 2, LA Noire, Arkham City, Dead Island and others were out that year I think...

Sounds like I missed a really good game, and from what people have said about the boss fights - adjustments there could well be a very good thing, and the extras like audio commentary etc sound badass.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Thanks for this post! I like the sound of this; I was thinking more Metroid Prime and less Call of Duty when I was wishing for pointer controls but posts here are making me think their absence isn't a huge deal. Hopefully the technical side of the port is solid.

Oh yeah no, it's nothing like Metroid Prime. It's a stealth-action game with a bit more options for open combat if that's the way you wanna go.

Can someone edit in a list of the specific changes in the OP from the Eurogamer article including this information?

There's a NewGame+ mode.

sfried

Tongs's Rescue mission and the entire Missing Link chapter have also been integrated seamlessly into the narrative flow of the Director's Cut.
Wow, so it's no longer a separate DLC but integrated augmented into the main game. Now all they have to do is to fix the boss...
Other core Deus Ex: Human Revolution augmentations include overhauled boss fights

Oh this had better be good. I don't mind the double dip for a "fixed edition". I already own the game OnLive.
Sounds like a pretty badass version, good for Wii U owners who didn't play it yet
I've played it, and I'm going to get it again. It's nice they've not only bundled everything up but made it so that the DLC was all part of the main game.

sfried

I noticed they're using the GamePad for datalog entries, something Assassin's Creed 3 should've done for the Wii U version. I like how you do not need to pause the game to read things.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah. Off-TV play means I will definitely double dip. That, and the audio annotations sound awesome, and I'm really interested in seeing their implementation. I wonder if video annotations would be a possibility down the line somewhere.

Raven77

How can developers make enhanced PS3/360 games (in terms of graphics) on a system with "technical stats on par with the 360 and PS3"?, that's quite a conundrum you've posted there.

You are aware that the Wii U's controller has a gigantic touch screen embedded in it right...

sfried

I want games for my WiiU. But not trash releases like this, full price for a two year old game that anyone who cares for it has played already, ridiculous.
Considering its getting an overhaul (as in gameplay wise, the boss fights and redoing the DLC so that they're part of the actual campaign are indeed a huge deal), plus doing smart things that should finally be done with the GamePad (logs should always be displayed on the bottom screen, without having to pause the action), I am seriously considering on double dipping. Also, if a game was that good, I'd say it's far from trash.
Does this mean we'd get a total augmentation reset halfway through the game?

This is what I'm curious to see. they would actually have to redo the entire DLC parts to take into account balancing.

Derrick01

Banned
Does this mean we'd get a total augmentation reset halfway through the game?

It's a little more than halfway. If I remember right when you head for the area that missing link takes place you're basically at the point of no return, at least for the 2 hub areas in the game. So while I would approve a skill reset for the hubs since it would help reinforce wise choices (you shouldn't be able to get everything in the game because you have all the skills, poor design), a point reset at that point in the game would only be for a couple of story areas.

Although I guess it would make those more challenging.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow. I've gone from a "meh" to a "will buy".
I have nothing against late ports, done well.

Exeunt

Oh yeah no, it's nothing like Metroid Prime. It's a stealth-action game with a bit more options for open combat if that's the way you wanna go.

Oh, I meant more that pointer controls would be nice to look around the environment with instead of being used to getting loads of headshots or what have you—but I didn't make that clear. That sounds interesting though!

Def Jukie

This sounds like a really great port but they are killing themselves with that price tag. The game is consistently really cheap on the PC and it will be an almost 2 year old game when this is released. Should be no more than $40 maybe even $30.

Top Bottom