• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Short Circuit is one of the most racist movies ever."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure Soul Man is more racist.

soul-man-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moX6XKeVcQ

MrKaepora

Haha, I forgot about this one. I suppose that answers my question regarding there having been a similar thing happen since.

Was that movie any good, btw? Never saw it.

It's not a bad movie but it also isn't something to write home about.

Bruce Lee being denied in Kung Fu so that David Carradine could take the role of an asian guy is something that comes to mind regarding the topic.

stuminus3

Well holy shit. All these years I had no idea that the guy in Short Circuit was actually a white guy, and more to the point, I had no idea it was the guy from Early Edition. :-O

EDIT: and he was Iggy in the Super Mario Bros movie... whaaaaaaaat?

Well, he fooled me! more than 20 times!
That , to me means ; He performed a great acting job and has not got enough credit for it.

I never thought about it to be honest (untill this thread came up), but how did the black community in the US respond to Tropic Thunder?

Slayven

That , to me means ; He performed a great acting job and has not got enough credit for it.

I never thought about it to be honest (untill this thread came up), but how did the black community in the US respond to Tropic Thunder?

We laughed at it and at those that missed the point.

Platy

I think he was referring to shrinking people down to Hobbit and Dwarf heights.

Well ... they can kinda get away with that because the production DID hire a midget double for every main dwarf and hobbit character ... so it is not like they stoped hiring then for hiring a tall white dude for the role

f8A8hss.jpg

Dead Man

Well holy shit. All these years I had no idea that the guy in Short Circuit was actually a white guy, and more to the point, I had no idea it was the guy from Early Edition. :-O

And Hackers.

5.jpg

Probably the same as Just One of the Guys.

The lead seems to still do plenty of work. He's just one those "hey, it's that guy!" actors.
totally, he has bit parts in a lot of stuff. He never really got a leading role after that. After having watched the Outsiders in grade school, I remember wondering why him and Ralph Macchio weren't in more movies. A lot of the other actors in that took off

Zoe

Well ... they can kinda get away with that because the production DID hire a midget double for every main dwarf and hobbit character ... so it is not like they stoped hiring then for hiring a tall white dude for the role

f8A8hss.jpg

Hah, one of the actors isn't really that much taller than the double.

But the argument would be, if they're already using doubles, why couldn't the doubles act?

Platy

The problem with all this is not hiring a minority

If they hired AND choose to hire other people anyway ... than it is their problem of wasting more money =P

aV69yJ8.png

So is it also prejudice where a minority portrays a majority?

It is only a problem when a group that rarely is given chance to act because of the lack of minority characters is excluded because that role that SHOULD go to that group is given to a white dude

black, white, indian, whatever... thanks to this thread I have that fucking song from the end credits of Short Circuit stuck in my head. Thanks OP!

Stet

Banned
I don't understand the strategy of belittling the idea of whitewashing by trying to find situations where something isn't overtly racist (like Americans and British people) and calling them racist.

Eidan

Not at all, I can totally understand that. What is puzzling is the fact that you say that's the only movie to have made you cry.

Some others have made me misty eyed. Short Circuit 2 has the benefit of being seen when I was very young, and there was a window for such an emotional reaction.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This one is both really bad and really dumb. If they couldn't get an asian man to play the role, all they needed to do was change the name used in the script and everything would have been the same.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this thread was going to contain deep insights about how the relationships between Human and robots as presented in the film was an allegory of the racial discrimination during the time. :(

Zoe

This one is both really bad and really dumb. If they couldn't get an asian man to play the role, all they needed to do was change the name used in the script and everything would have been the same.

What's that from? It's the only one I didn't recognize.

Stet

Banned
Still no Peter Sellers? C'mon GAF, he's even playing an Indian man in black-face.

InwXq6A.jpg

From what I understand, the Indian community was accepting of The Party because it was one of the first portrayals of an Indian character in Hollywood who wasn't eating monkey brains or making sacrifices to heathen gods.

Dead Man

I always thought that was sort of the point, he never existed as a real person, he was just a character in a story told by Verbal. Or if he did exist he was just a guy employed by Soze to scare the shit out of the crew, so it wasn't his real name.

Dai101

Banned
I thought this thread was going to contain deep insights about how the relationships between Human and robots as presented in the film was an allegory of the racial discrimination during the time. :(

Nope. Faux outrage for something pretty innocuous

For a kid's movie, Short Circuit also had a lot of tasteless sex jokes.

Yes. That's why the 80's "kids" movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> today's

Not sure if serious. In the context of the film it's an ironic joke.

Well, that is assuming it was his real name to begin with.

I always thought that was sort of the point, he never existed as a real person, he was just a character in a story told by Verbal. Or if he did exist he was just a guy employed by Soze to scare the shit out of the crew, so it wasn't his real name.

Ja.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If the former, then the portrayal onscreen is the story he's telling. If the latter, then the Japanese part isn't necessary.

jmdajr

Freaked me out too when I found out some years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom