• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

IN&OUT

Banned
PSY・S;78088269 said:
I posted this in the Killzone thread but people keep linking it here, which makes sense lol

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

Drive Club on top, Forza 5 below.

Driveclub blows Forza 5 out of the water. Just look at the environments and dynamic lightning.

PSY・S;78088269 said:
I posted this in the Killzone thread but people keep linking it here, which makes sense lol

I tried to find a better forza gif that didn't have the camera. Both titles looks great but drive club is doing so much more, the environments are just packed. Maybe if forza was 30fps.

5Cj7.gif

hg8.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ok... this thread has done it. I've tried to contain my hype for this game. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is one of my favorite racers ever (and MS1 +Apoc were also fantastic). I love evolution. But it's a launch game and it was looking rough early on and it's a change in style and I was worried that.... NO. FUCK IT!

IM ALL IN.

Game looks amazing. If it isn't amazing I will be heartbroken. HEARTBROKEN. You got me, Evo. You got me with your goddamn reflection in the windshield!

So dumb to be so hyped for a launch game but I don't care. THIS GAME IS GOING TO BLOW MY SOCKS OUT OF MY ASS.

This is basically how I feel about Shadow Fall at the moment. GG and Evo really seem to be bringing their A game to PS4 on Day 1.

I tried to find a better forza gif that didn't have the camera. Both titles looks great but drive club is doing so much more, the environments are just packed. Maybe if forza was 30fps.

http://a.pomf.se/5Cj7.gif[/IMG]
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4214/hg8.gif[/IMG]

The biggest difference is when you actually get up close to the trees. Not only there's way more stuff, but it's way more detailed.

~~Hasan~~

PSY・S;78088269 said:

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

thanks for posting this.

I can easily tell that DC look MUCH better in terms of environments and lighting. environment in forza look like current gen to be honest " the trees etc"

but both look nice inside the car view.

edit: man fuck... every time I look at the DC I feel like its real life. its probably the gif but god damn this is stunning

Samyy

Forzas car interior looks a bit better and DCs environment looks a bit better.
They will both end up pretty much looking the same.
Not that im complaining :p

_machine

I have to agree that whilst own it's own FM5 looks pretty stunning, they're definitely behind DriveClub when it comes to natural lighting (especially since FM5 should have the advantage with it's pre-baked conditions). I have to say that the DC video quality is still something that I wouldn't draw any final conclusions, but it does look like it'll be a looker.

lord pie

Hot damn! Driving the car under shadows and in chase cam view shows off some of most realistic fresnel effect I've seen, where speculars and reflections on the back of the car are far more diffused compared to those on the outer rim.

This is by far the part I like the most. Glossy reflections are quite tricky to manage, especially in realtime like this (basically generating intelligent levels of blur for the reflection cubemap). Good job for compute :)
It's also fairly trick to sample too - you can't just sample it like a reflection texture, because those don't get partially occluded (eg, under the wing). Well done evolution.

dc5.gif

]Forzas car interior looks a bit better[/B] and DCs environment looks a bit better.

Ehhh... I'll wait till we can compare the same car on both before passing judgment on that.

Sorc3r3r

Yeah DC looks better, but i think it's an unfair comparison:
30 fps(at least right now) against 60 ,and we have still to see DC with more than one car rendered on these videos if i'm not mistaking.

Yeah DC looks better, but i think it's an unfair comparison:
30 fps(at least right now) against 60 ,and we have still to see DC with more than one car rendered on these videos if i'm not mistaking.

They'll be showing races soon. Although I can tell you right now. Forza car count > DC car count. (both on track, and total)

ypo

I don't see how anyone in their right mind can say which interior is better. Detail wise is pretty much the same only that DC has the correct lighting and shadows.

The generational leap is that there is no racer on 360 or PS3 that looks this good. That is the generations we discuss when talking about consoles.

Yeah i don't get the need for the PC elitists to come down from their lofty clouds to poo poo on our thread... we are talking console gaming here... climb up your high horse and leave.

Paches

Will DEFINITELY take a close look at the PS+ edition and will probably upgrade to the full version. This game is looking great.

Man, i'm so sick of this bad facebook compressed quality videos.. What are developers thinking? Why no direct footage in 1080p in good quality. And this one is just an example of many games coming up

spwolf

i would kind of expect Forza 5 to be somehow superior as the same team has been working on Forza titles for years... DC already looks considerably better even though they are still racing to complete the game.

Of course, they are afterall very different games so it is not like direct comparo even matters, interesting part is technical side of it all. How much will DC improve until release? How much does 30 vs 60 impact the performance and how much is it XB1 vs PS4.

Afrikan

This is by far the part I like the most. Glossy reflections are quite tricky to manage, especially in realtime like this (basically generating intelligent levels of blur for the reflection cubemap). Good job for compute :)
It's also fairly trick to sample too - you can't just sample it like a reflection texture, because those don't get partially occluded (eg, under the wing). Well done evolution.

dc5.gif

O_O

its funny how you can miss this if not paying attention to it.

I love gifs like these that zoom or crop a certain section of the clip.

I think Driveclub looks better than Forza 5 but it's certainly up for debate. What I find fascinating, however, is that Turn 10 is certainly a much bigger team with a much larger budget. I love Evolution with all of my heart but I think it's saying something about the difference in power between the consoles if Evo can put out a better looking game than Turn 10.

IN&OUT

Banned
I think Driveclub looks better than Forza 5 but it's certainly up for debate. What I find fascinating, however, is that Turn 10 is certainly a much bigger team with a much larger budget. I love Evolution with all of my heart but I think it's saying something about the difference in power between the consoles if Evo can put out a better looking game than Turn 10.

I agree. PS4 is much superior to X1 and its showing with DC, Killzone and Infamous.

farisr

Man, i'm so sick of this bad facebook compressed quality videos.. What are developers thinking? Why no direct footage in 1080p in good quality. And this one is just an example of many games coming up

Don't worry: "We know that videos on facebook don't show true quality, so we will share the uncompressed, quality videos with you after Gamescom." From their latest facebook vid's description.

You also have to consider their targets. DC is targeting a natural look, Forza has never targeted natural.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That is still the most real gif ever

I just know GT5 does not look like that in gameplay

ypo

You also have to consider their targets. DC is targeting a natural look, Forza has never targeted natural.

Forza's bullshots and photomode pics all have realistic lighting and coloring. For some reason the actual gameplay looks so off. Probably their real time engine can't handle realistic lighting or just not rendering them right. Who knows.

Theecliff

Banned

Rushy said that they're going to try and get 1080p direct feed videos up after Gamescom.

Edit: Beaten!

PG2G

Not sure how you can leap from the difference in budget to difference in power of consoles when the games have a totally different scope.

KOHIPEET

Does anyone know the name of the song playing ib the background of the Aston clip? It is such a great track.

By the way I was hyped for this game earlier already, but this Aston clips is just magnificent, it made me imagine myself, playing for hours to good dnb and setting up/beating records my friends set.

I was never really hyped for this aspect of the game, but this vid has such a good vibe.

3 months, I count.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Actually I think it is just really hard to design realistic looking lighting and shading. There is as much artistry to it as there is science. Polyphony's artists are obviously there.

I would like to pay the upgrade price from the PS+ version but I want a physical copy.

plainr_

Forzas car interior looks a bit better and DCs environment looks a bit better.

No way is DC's environment just "a bit better". Combined with the lighting it looks a generation ahead imo.

RoKKeR

Omg Driveclub you're reflections! So real! So reflecty!!!!

At least give Forza a fair shake. Both games look fanatastic, and one is rendering twice the frames than the other. (which is apparently not an issue anymore now that Driveclub has reflections or something) One has a realistic model, one as a hyper-stylized baked model. A lot of it comes down to personal taste but DC doesn't "blow it out of the water" and it's not "an entire generation ahead!"

reflection2gesvu.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Forza is much more stylized than DC which is aiming for a more true to life look. I think it's an issue of an preference rather one just looking better than the other.

That being said, if Evo is able to lock DriveClub at 60 fps, that'll really be something to see.

Top Bottom