• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

TheChits

UFC put Bendo v. Pettis 1 on stream for free on the website. Watching it yet again, I have it tied a 2 rounds going into the 5th. The 5th is pretty even, leaning slightly toward Pettis when the kick hits.

The biggest thing I'm thinking though while rewatching this fight is that it's going to be incredibly hard to match or beat the excitement created in the first one.

Yep. That fight was fantastic and really showed the skills of both guys

MjFrancis

UFC put Bendo v. Pettis 1 on stream for free on the website. Watching it yet again, I have it tied a 2 rounds going into the 5th. The 5th is pretty even, leaning slightly toward Pettis when the kick hits.

The biggest thing I'm thinking though while rewatching this fight is that it's going to be incredibly hard to match or beat the excitement created in the first one.
I will make it a point to watch this before Saturday. The way the WEC has managed to shake up the UFC's lightweight division has been a pleasure to watch. The hype from such a rematch will almost certainly eclipse the event itself, especially if Benson controls the fight. I'm hoping he doesn't, or that Pettis forces his hand to overcome the points game rut he's been stuck in.

Even Donald Cerrone has his value as the scythe of the lightweight division. His victories and his defeats separate the wheat from the chaff in a way that no other fighter can do. He wins spectacularly or he loses spectacularly. There is no middle ground with that fighter, and if you come out ahead against him you are cemented as a division leader. He's the best gatekeeper in the sport.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Gilbert made a good point on Sportscenter. Benson will have tons more room to run around in the 30' UFC octagon as opposed to the 25' WEC octagon.

Maybe that's what happened to Aldo.

We need a petition to make bring back the 25'er.

IMO I think it'll end up being pretty exciting, but not if Bendo gets his way. Ben will most likely do everything he can to avoid the fight but it's going to be tough to hold Pettis down. I'd say out of the two fighters, Pettis has improved a whole lot more since that fight. His striking was pretty good back in the WEC, but now he is KOing guys and doing it brutally. Look at the head kick vs Lauzon or even more impressively, the devastating body kick vs Cerrone. I see Pettis KOing Ben in the 2nd, and not with something too flashy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As long as I get to see Lay Guida get KTFO'd, the night will be a success.

Oh, and seeing this guy
1369903235Krylov.jpg

muddream

Banned
IMO I think it'll end up being pretty exciting, but not if Bendo gets his way. Ben will most likely do everything he can to avoid the fight but it's going to be tough to hold Pettis down. I'd say out of the two fighters, Pettis has improved a whole lot more since that fight. His striking was pretty good back in the WEC, but now he is KOing guys and doing it brutally. Look at the head kick vs Lauzon or even more impressively, the devastating body kick vs Cerrone. I see Pettis KOing Ben in the 2nd, and not with something too flashy.

I think Bendo has progressed more based on what we know. Yeah, those were 2 nice knockouts, but before that he barely beat "Jeremy Stevens" by wrestling him and couldn't get up from under Clay Guida. We haven't seen his evolution as a fighter, all we know is that he'll still have a definite standup advantage.

I think what might cost Bendo this fight is that his progress hasn't been in terms of his offensive grappling. He's still mostly a TAM-type scrambler & not someone with a great shot & top game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pettis is going to try some fancy shit and end up knocked out. I'm going to miss the card though. Got tickets to the Dodgers game.
Pettis fights calm enough to know when to pick his shots, I don't think he's gonna try another kick off the cage or anything crazy unless he knows it'll land.

That's a bold call. The thing to consider though is that kicks have been Pettis' KO delivery and outside of his cage leaping, we haven't seen anything especially out of the ordinary from them. The cage leaping kicks work because they're not something the other fighter expects (or at least didn't) similar to Silva and Machida's front snap kicks. Bendo should be expecting them this time so for a kick KO, Pettis is going to have to either accumulate damage over time or pull something new out of his bag of tricks. I just don't think a normal roundhouse kick is something that's going to catch Bendo unless it's thrown from a unique angle (Condit v. GSP) or an insanely perfectly timed counter.

If this rematch ends up on the ground quite a bit, I don't think it's going to be all due to Bendo. In the first fight, Pettis was all too happy to grapple and even spent almost the entire 2nd round on Bendo's back in a stalemate attempt for a RNC. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Pettis has been working on his bottom transition game and some ankle/knee subs.

I was watching the countdown show and Ben's trainers basically admitted he has no power, citing the fact that he has no KOs. The honesty was quite refreshing.

Bendo definitely doesn't have any punching power but the man kicks HARD. The problem is he doesn't kick quickly or from any unorthodoxed angles/situations so his head kicks are usually blocked/avoided.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah but when he starts feeling himself he starts feeling himself.

Not sure you could feel yourself more than a dude who thinks leaping off of the cage and putting feet on you is just another tuesday. Besides young anthony aint feather fisted.

I think Bendo has progressed more based on what we know. Yeah, those were 2 nice knockouts, but before that he barely beat "Jeremy Stevens" by wrestling him and couldn't get up from under Clay Guida. We haven't seen his evolution as a fighter, all we know is that he'll still have a definite standup advantage.

I think what might cost Bendo this fight is that his progress hasn't been in terms of his offensive grappling. He's still mostly a TAM-type scrambler & not someone with a great shot & top game.

IMO his evolution as a fighter mostly happened during those two fights. He went from a striker who a wrestler could hold down, to a more well rounded fighter who fixed that vulnerability, and then refined his striking to brutally KO guys now that his counter-wrestling has given him more confidence to commit more to the strikes.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm saying everyone is hyped for this fight and I've been around long enough to know that usually ends in someone getting caught in the 1st min.
If Benson gets KO'd cold in the first minute then it will have delivered for me.

And yeah, Infamous: Second Son is going to be amazing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
You can do a documentary about licking toads, I have some footage of my dog after it licked toads.

Walking round in circles, staggering, licking it's lips.

All you negative nancies who were shitting on the Shogun/Sonnen card, look at the prelims for 164:
Preliminary Card:
Gleison Tibau (155) vs. Jamie Varner (156)
Tim Elliott (125.5) vs. Louis Gaudinot (125)
Pascal Krauss (170) vs. Hyun Gyu Lim (171)
Chico Camus (135) vs. Kyung Ho Kang (136)
Nikita Krylov (236) vs. Soa Palelei (265)
Ryan Couture (156) vs. Al Iaquinta (156)
Magnus Cedenblad (185) vs. Jared Hamman (185.5)
Now THOSE are some shitty prelims.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
As long as I get to see Lay Guida get KTFO'd, the night will be a success.

Oh, and seeing this guy
1369903235Krylov.jpg

i want to pick him just for that picture, but the guy he's fighting recently destroyed bob sapp in 12 seconds.

images

Top Bottom