• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

mandiller

This game is simply stunning on a handheld. I'm really impressed with what the dev team have managed to do. I'm a few missions into the game so far and have taken a bunch of screenshots.

Here's a gallery

A few of my favourites:

1ZOi2hQ.jpg

Dat reflection...

580TDg1.jpg

sx2docY.jpg

FdeVxeo.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I expected the disparity in reviews. Critics judging Vita games by console standards instead of handheld standards is nothing new. Critics also being harsh on Vita games just cause is nothing new.

ajim

I don't know if I want to PS Store this right now or wait until after work tomorrow to buy it from JB HI FI.

Oh lawd.

nampad

First day multiplayer is nice, so many noobs :)
Just got the 10 killstreak trophy, thought it would be near impossible.

I'm tempted to buy a vita for this but I would really like to know if there are any traces of input delay and how are the controls received? Are they responsive or more like kz3? Cause I hated that.

nampad

I'm tempted to buy a vita for this but I would really like to know if there are any traces of input delay and how are the controls received? Are they responsive or more like kz3? Cause I hated that.

Haven't played KZ3 and KZ2 is years ago. Personally, I really like the controls and think they work well after setting the sensitivity up a notch. Don't think there is big input delay.

Because of the limited buttons it can be a little bit cramped but you will get used to it. Also the Vita sticks are smaller with less range. Grenades aren't placed optimal. Sprinting per backtouch is mindboggling, using circle for it works fine. You seldom do the wrong action even though circle has multiple uses.
Only triangle is keen to it, but this also happens on console games with action/use buttons.

You know, I'm not at all taken aback that reviewers are judging this as a full console experience, because, you know, that's what it was aiming for. The Metacritic score still indicates it's good if you're looking for a standard FPS that works on a handheld; I believe that makes the game a huge success at a developmental level.

Xater

You know, I'm not at all taken aback that reviewers are judging this as a full console experience, because, you know, that's what it was aiming for. The Metacritic score still indicates it's good if you're looking for a standard FPS that works on a handheld; I believe that makes the game a huge success at a developmental level.

Not really. That are a lot of design decision made that take into account that this is a game for a portable system. A lot of reviewers chose to ignore those.

nampad

This game needs a melee swipe for backstabbing. Sometimes I don't want to interrogate because it takes too much time but want the silent knife kill.
Just make it optional with the swipes, up for backstab and down for interrogation.

Any disconnects ?

No, but I also didn't have disconects in the open beta.
They didn't patch the connection bug though. Sometimes you can't join a match until you restart the game. after restart, everything is fine.
Guess it happens when the game stays in sleep/background to much.

nampad

How are the counter-melees handled/balanced in MP, dudez?

I don't know the exact mechanics, but it just seems it just depends on who is faster with the swipe. Don't know if the attacker gets his QTE sooner.
I guess there is also some importance on positioning and maybe even the health. I got some melee kills without swipe QTE.

In my opinion, it works really well. I like the melee swipes, much better than the instant melee kills in other games.

Letep

With regard to the enormous stability patch, if you're playing the game on the cartridge where does the patch save to? The cartridge or the Vita memory card?

Live: Guerrilla Games Cambridge team at the Killzone: Mercenary launch party! Out in Europe today and in the US on the 10th. Thanks for all the amazing support and hope you enjoy the game!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...850100.1073741830.285071830099&type=1&theater

With regard to the enormous stability patch, if you're playing the game on the cartridge where does the patch save to? The cartridge or the Vita memory card?
Memory Card!!

ASFM

Neo Member
I'M SO EXCITED! I WANNA SHOOT STUFF! AND STAB THINGS! AND GET RICH!

Seriously though I'm really excited for this game.

I don't know if that's true, and I'm pretty sure Shadow Fall isn't going to get anywhere near the same amount of criticism regardless of whether it does anything new for the genre or not.

You're right, it won't receive this much criticism, but I can already tell Shadow Fall isn't going to get higher than an 83 or thereabouts. The game has moments when it looks impressive, but we've seen this type of gameplay before in other shooters. The campaign length and quality of the narrative is what will likely be the clincher for reviewers.

It's a fairly small team. According to a Tweet from Guerrilla Games' official Twitter account, the company includes about 270 employees, including Cambridge. So when you consider the difference in team size, about 50 vs nearly 220, it becomes all the more impressive that Guerrilla Cambridge crafted something of this caliber with such a small staff.

Well, it took them some time. I guess its the Vita game with the longest dev cycle. Its been annouced over 2 years ago.
And its not exactly packed with content.

OmegaZero

Hey guys, I dunno if it was mentioned before, but in the Cinema Blend review, I thought this was worth pointing out:
Ryan Winslett said:
I usually wouldn’t bother to comment on campaign length, but I know it’s a big sticking point for many FPS fans. According to the end-game clock, my run through Killzone: Mercenary took only 4.5 hours. I kept an eye on the clock, however, and can assure you that my actual playtime was somewhere between seven and eight hours. Everyone’s mileage will vary, obviously, but I found my trip through the campaign to neither run out of gas too quickly, nor overstay its welcome.

So there's a disparity between the time you actually spent playing the campaign and the in-game clock? Maybe it doesn't count retries/deaths.

bLaiSe

The consensus seems to be that the campaign takes up around 7 hours on normal, yeah.

It took me around 5 hours on hard but I died a lot on purpose because of those damn officers that you need to interrogate for intel.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Only played the first mission and a bit of the beginning of the second one. This is a really nice looking game. I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't check too many videos beforehand so that affects this too.
The blood spatters and the bullet hits on the walls are a nice touch. Lighting is astounding too. For a handheld game it's a beauty.

The aiming is better than any other stick aiming on the Vita so far. Not a lot to compare to though. I still prefer the Golden abyss gyro aiming, but this is good. Will have to twiddle with the settings as the acceleration seems a bit too slow or too fast at times.

Would play this a lot more but life outside games is beckoning me tonight.

P.S. My Vita said it's getting hot while playing this and shutting off mobile phone connection. First time to see that message.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
Maybe 7 hours if you find all the intel and stuff. My playtime says 3 hours after I finished the whole campaign.

Don't think the playtime counts deaths though. One mission took me almost 45 mins to get through but it clocked it as one play through of 20 odd minutes.

I really dislike when games do that because it doesn't give you a real sense of how much you've played - just what your best time was.

My playtime overall on the stats screen was 4 hrs something and I know for a fact that it took me over 7 hours to play the campaign.

Hanmik

Don't think the playtime counts deaths though. One mission took me almost 45 mins to get through but it clocked it as one play through of 20 odd minutes.

I really dislike when games do that because it doesn't give you a real sense of how much you've played - just what your best time was.

My playtime overall on the ststas screen was 4 hrs something and I know for a fact that it took me over 7 hours to play the campaign.

same for me.. stats said 4½ hours.. but I know I played 4 nights for about 2 hours each night before I finished the campaign.

Metalmarc

P.S. My Vita said it's getting hot while playing this and shutting off mobile phone connection. First time to see that message.

Really? Wow has the vita shut down not long afterwards too? Or is it fine? I'm guessing you have the 3g model of the vita? I only have wifi so hoping its just a 3g issue

Waaghals

Many handheld games are technically and mechanically compromised when compared to their home console big brothers. The lack of raw power an the missing imput devices traditionaly means that they like crap and are often stripped down when compared related console versions.

Handheld games are excused when it comes to things like this due the inherent techical limitations of the platform.

KZ:M simply looks and plays too much like a console game. It ends up in a sort of "uncanny valley" between the two platforms; becoming a failed console game rather than a fantastic handheld game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Whats the size of the game?

Top Bottom