• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: New Zelda is not inspired by Skyrim; played because name similar to Skyward

Seda

We had a thread a few months ago: "Aonuma: Zelda Wii U may take inspiration from Skyrim/other Open World games"

However, now Aonuma is saying that "there was no inspiration taken from Skyrim." At least not directly.

USGamer: When I've told people about my experience with the first-person mode in the game, they've said, "Well, Mr. Aonuma has spoken about how he's been inspired by Skyrim." Was this one of those things you pulled away from playing games like Skyrim, and can we expect to see this kind of inspiration – maybe some of these elements – in future Zelda games?

Aonuma: I just wanted to say, I've been a bit surprised by the focus on my comments about Skyrim. I started playing Skyrim because the name was so close to "Skyward Sword" and I wanted to see what that was about. [laughs] I didn't pick it up because it was popular or because it was getting good reviews or anything like that. I just wanted to take a look at it. "Oh, okay, this is what this game's about. There are some things in here that are sort of Zelda-esque and maybe some things that aren't."

But there was no inspiration taken from Skyrim. It didn't impact what I was thinking about for future Zelda titles. I'm always thinking about, "Okay, next time, what are we going to do with the next one?" As a producer, whenever I can find more time to play games, I'm taking that free time to go out and play other games just to play them and see what's out there.

As far as whether or not those are inspiring me or influencing my decisions, I guess it's probably the same way as when I talk to young developers or new people on our staff, or when I read interviews with other people saying, "Yeah, this game was influenced by my experience playing Zelda as a kid." Or, "Zelda really impacted my design decisions going forward." I think the problem with that is that everything you play influences what you're thinking, but I'm not looking at other games to try and find inspiration. If it happens, it's a natural process.

Also, Aonuma sounds tired :/

More here in an interview with Jeremy Parish, mostly about Wind Waker HD with some vague comments about the possibilities of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword HD.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/wind-waker-hd-remaking-a-classic

Mesoian

That's fine. Not every game needs to be skyrim.

I'd rather him take the time to figure out how to make stuff that you can do with the touchscreen innovative and fun rather than having it be higher rez Spirit Tracks elements.

Played Skyrim because the name was like Skyward Sword ? That's an odd reason for buying a game.

I am glad it won't take inspiration from it, I love Elder Scrolls for entirely different reasons than I love Zelda.

Nibel

I never understood why people had to compare Skyrim and Skyward Sword other than both releasing close to each other

eXistor

That's actually somewhat disappointing. Skyrim may be an incompetent piece of software in a lot of ways, but it had a lot of great ideas. Great ideas that could become something special in the right hands.

I would love to see a Zelda game where you get to make Link be what ever you want him to be. A guy that is good with melee weapons, or a wizard. Have skill tree and such.

Ah, thats a shame. It's been a long time since its been fun to explore Hyrule. Aonuma could use a little influence from other sources.

-KRS-

I am glad it won't take inspiration from it, I love Elder Scrolls for entirely different reasons than I love Zelda.

The exploration aspect of the Elder Scrolls games is one thing I think Zelda games could take inspiration from though. I miss my exploration in Zelda-games damnit! That was like the whole point of the first game and these days there's just less and less of it.

Disaster averted, but I still have VERY low expectations for the next Zelda after everything from Twilight Princess onward slowly destroyed my faith in the franchise and Aonuma.

Volotaire

Very intrigued about the next Zelda game.

I would still like to see Zelda take a more exploration based approach, see how that goes.

sphagnum

Banned
You know, actually reading that interview instead of just this thread title, I think it's time for Zelda to be handed over to someone else for a while. Aonuma sounds burned out and depressed since he never gets to spend any time with his family.

I like what he's done with the Zelda series, but he's had a long run. Maybe time to let Koizumi take his shot at it?

TreIII

Thank the Dark Lord Ganon.

ALBW will be the game that brings me back into the Zelda fold, so I'm hoping that Zelda U can keep me there.

Faaip

Neo Member
Im glad to hear that. The only influence from Skyrim I could see happening in a Zelda game is the open world, which I think could be cool.

zoukka

No surprises here, these two IP's share very little so it would be weird to draw inspiration from Elder Scrolls.

Dr.Hadji

If people actually bothered to read quotes and not thread titles, they would have known this (or at least known there was no confirmation of the relation between the games).

PetrCobra

Ah, thats a shame. It's been a long time since its been fun to explore Hyrule. Aonuma could use a little influence from other sources.

Yeah, like from Nintendo's own Xenoblade, for example.

Actually, didn't Takahashi say something about his desire to make a game similar to the ones Bethesda makes? I guess anyone who wants Nintendo to make a game inspired by Skyrim might just wait and see what X is all about.

sphagnum

Banned
Which part is it him sounding tired?

All of this:

USGamer: Thank you very much for meeting with us. Have you been able to take any time off since Wind Waker HD's development closed?

Eiji Aonuma: No, we've had no sort of break. A Link Between Worlds is going into the final stages and we're working hard. Even when I get home, I'm getting home late. I want some vacation. I want some time off.

USG: How much longer do you have on A Link Between Worlds before you get that time off? Or do you even get time off after that?

EA: What we're looking at, really, is a sort of trend. I finish one project and the next one is just overlapping. My family is not happy.

USG: But they do like Zelda games, right?

EA: My son absolutely does like Zelda games, and my wife has started playing the Zelda games as well. So that's great. They understand that I'm making this games, but… They're my family, and the fact that we're not taking vacations together, not going anywhere, it's not making them happy. We're trying to find a balance. It's tough. It's a whole different set of problems.

Kyzon

Although a Skyrim type game with the Nintendo Polish would be pretty amazing, I'm glad they're doing their own thing still.

I'd like them to go the classic Zelda route though. Like the first game. Let you do whatever you want, go to dungeons at your own pace, and figure things out yourself.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That would be pretty difficult when the last four and five games weren't the same shit as each other.

Welp. I don't really think it matters at this point.

original.jpg

Top Bottom