• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

Portugeezer

fec.gif

I enjoyed your review Jim, especially the contrast with "Old dog, old tricks" vs. IGN's "Old dog, new tricks".

Contradictions in COD reviews.

Never changes.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Nope. They specifically said PS4 was having frame rate issues in multiplayer as well. What the hell is the point of having 1080p in this case? Give me a choice so I can lower the resolution to achieve that silky smooth frame rate for multiplayer at least.

So, Gaf, is 720p or a crappy frame rate a bigger issue? Is the story now going to be the PS4 is too weak to do a solid 60fps in COD or are we going to stick with the X1 is too weak to do 1080p in COD?

That's why you don't judge system performance on launch titles...

Portugeezer

So, Gaf, is 720p or a crappy frame rate a bigger issue? Is the story now going to be the PS4 is too weak to do a solid 60fps in COD or are we going to stick with the X1 is too weak to do 1080p in COD?

We don't know about the Xbone versions performance.

Oh man, framerate problems and they made it go 1080p on PS4? Why not make it 900p with much better framerate?

Also, the Xbox One version is a no show? That can't be good... what a fuck up this game is. 6 gigs on PC while it only uses 2... They need to just stop making these games and stop working on that engine.

Dragon

Banned

How about we wait for people to review the XB1 versions? Jump to conclusions mat.

Just like Megan Fox, Call of Duty's days are over

Why are people so salty they feel the need to jump into COD threads just to make these proclamations? Thread trolling defined.

Oh man, framerate problems and they made it go 1080p on PS4? Why not make it 900p with much better framerate?

Or better yet, why not get your shit together and optimize the PS4 version just a little bit to get it running smoothly at 1080p/60.

IISANDERII

Jeff Gerstman knows what's up, glad somebody does. His review begins by detailing changes to the gameplay in multiplayer, the things that are actually important to the players who buy the game.

"There are no UAVs to shoot down. Strike packages are back, and the dolphin dive has been replaced with a knee slide. You can lean out from cover. All of the launchers are free-fire, and knife kills now come with an annoyingly forced kill animation that leaves would-be stabbers open to counterattack."

Because the game is repeating it everytime, same engine, no effort in making the gameplay different or even a better graphics engines

That's fine, and you can just ignore the game. People go out of their way though to shit up COD threads and it's rather pathetic to watch. I don't care that much about Battlefield games, but you'll never see me in a Battlefield thread. Funny how that works.

Sethos

Banned
Why are people so salty they feel the need to jump into COD threads just to make these proclamations?

It's over, period. Activision lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Call of Duty hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Call of Duty. Activision has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in Call of Duty. Except if they want to play TDM. Which is also available in BF4.

The age of Call of Duty is done.

Why are people so salty they feel the need to jump into COD threads just to make these proclamations? Thread trolling defined.

Or better yet, why not get your shit together and optimize the PS4 version just a little bit to get it running smoothly at 1080p/60.

The games framerate always sucked. It was never locked at 60 for any version other than PC. So I wasn't going to expect much, but if they didn't bother optimizing any version, why not put themselves in a situation to better optimize it?

It's over, period. Activision lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Call of Duty hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Call of Duty. Activision has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in Call of Duty. Except if they want to play TDM. Which is also available in BF4.

lol

I'm genuinely uncertain if this post is trying to be hilariously hyperbolic, or if you seriously think those things.

Curufinwe

So, Gaf, is 720p or a crappy frame rate a bigger issue?

What are you going to say if the Xbone version has both?

We've already seen BF4 running at a higher resolution and a higher average frame rate on the PS4, but somehow you've already decided the Xbone version of COD has a better frame rate without any journalist being allowed to talk about it.

[EDIT] That's the second time today I've typed up a reply to a poster who is banned by the time I post it.

Whompa

Just like Megan Fox, Call of Duty's days are over

This is called obvious bait people. Do not feed.

As much as I had hoped this game did something exciting and fresh, the reviews seem pretty apt. It doesn't look next gen and it certainly looks like it's not pushing the formulaic pattern in any real significant direction.

Dawg

This is called obvious bait people. Do not feed.

As much as I had hoped this game did something exciting and fresh, the reviews seem pretty apt. It doesn't look next gen and it certainly looks like it's not pushing the formulaic pattern in any real significant direction.

I expect Treyarch to do this next year.

DRE Fei

There is nothing worse than running around for 5 minutes (in a 6 v 6 gametype), only to get shot in the back by some dude camping in a corner with amplify. This perk kills run and gun gameplay. You can hear enemies from so far away with it. Dead silence does not counter it, which IMO is a horrible design decision. Dead silence promotes movement and keeps the action flowing. They should be doing everything in their power to increase the pace on these huge, shitty battlefield maps. Why try to be like battlefield when your tech isn't on par with what they're doing?

I shouldn't be forced to play cranked just to get some excitement from this game. These maps are clearly made for 9 v 9, which the current gen version doesn't support. It wouldn't be quite as bad if the guns did less damage, but the minute you're spotted, you're done, which is why everyone is camping. At least you can play against bots to rank up if the community becomes unbearable.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Treyarch is probably gearing up to really step it up next year.

I'm already excited for it and I was never really cared for the original Black Ops other than the fact that it had a top-down arcade shooter easter egg which was awesome.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Shinobi we were all so concerned

Don't you run off without giving us proper notice again

Mumford

I'm curious. Flow wise & hit detection wise, does the MP play like MW2's? That had the smoothest gunplay in the series imo. I would seriously check this out if that's the case, and I skipped BO2 & sold back MW3 pretty early.

Boy, you are gonna be so disappointed.
Jim, you're awesome. Keep doing what you do man.(Thanks for still doing Jimquisition) <3

There is nothing worse than running around for 5 minutes (in a 6 v 6 gametype), only to get shot in the back by some dude camping in a corner with amplify. This perk kills run and gun gameplay. You can hear enemies from so far away with it. Dead silence does not counter it, which IMO is a horrible design decision. Dead silence promotes movement and keeps the action flowing. They should be doing everything in their power to increase the pace on these huge, shitty battlefield maps. Why try to be like battlefield when your tech isn't on par with what they're doing?

I shouldn't be forced to play cranked just to get some excitement from this game. These maps are clearly made for 9 v 9, which the current gen version doesn't support. It wouldn't be quite as bad if the guns did less damage, but the minute you're spotted, you're done, which is why everyone is camping. At least you can play against bots to rank up if the community becomes unbearable.

Are you playing in hardcore?

Exactly.

If you don't care for CoD now, why even post about it and thread crap? I thought people should know by now that annual CoD games won't have very many changes to the formula.

If a person did like COD before and does not like it now due to lack of development , lack of
Commitment and focus on making the changes which customers expect, then as a consumer i do expect to voice my opinion on the state of the franchise at the moment. Look at the development of this game? They took out 18 player count and went back to 12 player count, the focus turned too much on multi and i blame bf4 for that too. The focus on single player is secondary and the engine has not changed. The ps3 version of the same engine runs better than the ps4 version which is a 7 year newer hardware on the same engine? Who does that ?! Where is the optimization ?

Magwik

Banned
I'm actually disappointed that there is almost no hype and really no substance coming from the game. I really wanted it to be great considering I skipped out on Blops 2.

Such drama! I've never been interested in a CoD game at launch so this is new to me. Fun!

todd360

Still, they are probably not thrilled. They know that the franchise can stagnate and is a risk.

I don't think they care to tell you the truth. Anyone who releases the same game every year has to know deep down inside that the franchise is gonna get stale fast. I'm surprised its taken this long.

It's search and rescue now. Something to do with you can revive your teammates if you pick up their dogtags (I'm not sure if the other team can pick them up to stop this).

It's sort of the same but not exactly.
Should have named it Casual Strike

No S&D no buy, simply put. I'll put my money on Killzone, fuck off IW 0.5

Top Bottom