• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

oSChbQ8.png

IGN 8.8
Call of Duty: Ghosts isn't a reinvention of the franchise, but proves there's still room for innovation within its existing formula. Though at the risk of overcomplicating things at times, its robust multiplayer gameplay, surprisingly fun co-op modes, and lengthy, challenging, and varied campaign makes Ghosts one of the best Call of Duty games to date.

GameSpot 8/10
From an exuberant campaign full of spectacle and variety to the way Extinction's unpredictable aliens force you to use those targeting skills in entirely new ways, Ghosts strikes an excellent balance between the familiar and the novel. This is a game that's keenly aware of the series' strengths, but doesn't find itself beholden to them. No matter what standard you apply, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a terrific first-person shooter.

Game Informer 8/10
Ghosts had potential to be more than it is. As the first series entry on new consoles and the first of what will assuredly be a new brand, I was disappointed to see it resemble its predecessors even more than the franchise typically does. Even without its own significant hook or sense of identity, however, Ghosts is still fun thanks to Call of Duty’s polished and reliable backbone that’s been established for years.

Digital Spy 4/5
Possibly to accommodate current and next-gen consoles, Call of Duty: Ghosts doesn't feel like a huge step forward for the franchise. Instead, it offers a refined single and multiplayer experience, which ultimately provide more ways than ever to enjoy the action. Despite an overriding feeling of familiarity, Ghosts is another excellent entry in the Call of Duty series.

USGamer 3/5
An aging engine takes one last shot at an aging console before Infinity Ward turns its full focus towards the next generation. The developer does a great job with the some of the set pieces, but most of the campaign is still basic, refined cover shooting. A decent last hurrah on the PlayStation 3, but you may want to invest in the PlayStation 4, PC, or Xbox One versions if you're looking for the full effect.

NOWGamer 7.5/10
It's a mixed bag for Call Of Duty: Ghosts as the brilliant, balanced multiplayer and thrilling Extinctions mode makes up for an unusually flat single-player outing and wasted Squads mode.

Eurogamer 7/10
Ghosts, in and of itself, is a fine game. It ticks all the boxes and then blows the boxes up in glorious 1080p resolution (on PS4 at least). Those who only ever play COD will be more than happy with it, but those who have grown weary of the series will see more of their ambivalence justified this time around. Infinity Ward had a chance here to throw down the gauntlet for the next hardware generation, to set the new standard, to show that this hugely popular, much derided behemoth can dance to a different tune. It's chosen to play a Greatest Hits package instead.

Multiplayer.it 7/10
Call of Duty: Ghosts non è certamente quel passo avanti che tutti speravano con l'arrivo della next gen, e anzi si dimostra più debole in quelli che sono sempre stati i suoi punti di forza. Accanto ad un comparto multiplayer come al solito ricco di contenuti, ben ingegnato e molto divertente, troviamo una campagna che è, senza troppo giri di parole, mediocre. Non mancano buoni momenti ma ha poco mordente, è troppo frammentaria e senza picchi, soprattutto narrativi. Squads è una bella trovata, ma va valutata nel lungo periodo, mentre Extinction ruba la scena al "vecchio" Zombie di Treyarch, col suo essere una orda cooperativa ricca di personalità, grazie al suo piglio quasi ruolistico. La parte tecnica è ovviamente il difetto più visibile del progetto. Un antialiasing efficace, un dettaglio maggiore e una risoluzione più alta non riescono a mascherare un quadro generale che è ancora ampiamente ancorato alla vecchia generazione, con più bassi che alti.

Edge 7/10
Many will be satisfied by the simple existence of a COD game on the day next-gen hardware launches, but this is a missed opportunity nonetheless. The studio that defined the console FPS in the current generation has declined to do the same here. By the time it gets another chance, it may be too late.

Videogamer 7/10
Outside of multiplayer, the campaign is a po-faced, nonsensical rehash of greatest hits long past. Extinction (Left 4 Dead meets Zombies) is a lot of fun, and Squads feels like a well-marketed shell for Black Ops' Combat Training mode.

Multiplayer is still the star then, but it's diminishing with every return, its addictiveness tempered by over-familiarity.

Official Xbox Magazine 8/10
For all Infinity Ward's talk of a new beginning, Ghosts retains the old formula with a few incremental changes. And that's fine, provided you enjoyed the games that came before it. The multiplayer is as solid as it ever was, and while Squads feels a touch superfluous, Extinction is a wickedly moreish inclusion. It does however feel as though CoD's dogged insistence on offering a single player campaign at all is damaging it. It might be too early to say if "mingleplayer" games like Titanfall and Destiny will prove successful, but having had yet another go on the CoD rollercoaster it's not hard to see why next-gen is ready to try leaving it behind.

Call of Duty is, and has always been, a series about instant gratification. It's fast food gaming at its most refined, a continual adrenaline rush that never thinks beyond the next kill. Ghosts maintains that heady, intoxicating momentum of shoot, kill, win, reward - but pales at the thought of taking the franchise in any interesting new directions.

CVG 7/10
There is an overwhelming sense of familiarity one gets from playing Call Of Duty: Ghosts and that's probably because an iteration of this series drops every year without truly reinventing the wheel. Its formula is a world-record-breaking recipe for success. It's fun, sure, but it's not ground-breaking. But then, for the purposes of its audience, does it need to be?

Game Trailers 7/10

PlayStation Official Magazine UK 8/10
And yet Ghosts’ multiplayer has seen wholesale changes that put most annual sports titles to shame, and the result is arresting and noob-friendly, if not revolutionary. I want to make an example of the half-hearted step into next-gen Call Of Duty is making, but I know in six months I’ll still be learning the intricacies of Swtonehaven and lavishing my SA-80 with camo paint without a thought for poly counts or texture resolution. It should be running on a next-gen engine, but a rich solo campaign and irresistible online component saves Ghosts from losing relevance on PS4.

Metro 8/10
In Short: There is innovation here and even if it’s not always in exactly the areas you’d wish it’s enough to ensure that Call Of Duty’s status as the world’s favourite FPS is still largely deserved.

NZGamer 8.7/10
Should you buy it? Absolutely. Call of Duty remains a fun game to play and for those that are looking for a multiplayer title with legs, Ghosts will certainly sit atop the pile for the next 12 months. There's a bunch of great new stuff to explore in the box already, and - of course - more coming thanks to the game's planned DLC content. Highly recommended.

Joystiq 7/10
Expanding on Treyarch's accomplishments could have elevated Call of Duty: Ghosts, but Infinity Ward largely returns to ideas it has been tweaking since the original Modern Warfare. Infinity Ward has always forged its own path, but its formulaic design document has become worn. It's a good book, but it's time to turn a new page.

The Escapist 8/10
Bottom line: While the singleplayer gets upstaged by a dog, the multiplayer comes at you from so many angles that you'll inevitably find something to enjoy.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...osts-Review-Dogs-of-War.2#v3dhmulDcXKkJ6Ou.99

Push Square 6/10
Call of Duty is a series that's getting stagnant. This latest edition is a solid shooter, with highly tuned mechanics, an addictive multiplayer offering, and a plethora of content to play through – but it very much feels like a familiar game with a few minor adjustments. The new Extinction mode is particularly good, but it's the highlight in a title that's following a tired recipe. Fans of the series will enjoy Call of Duty: Ghosts regardless, but those of you looking for something new will have to dig out those night vision goggles and search elsewhere.

God is a Geek 10/10
There’s so much content on offer in Call of Duty: Ghosts that everyone will get their money’s worth, and then some. Infinity Ward could quite easily have rested on their laurels, stayed in their comfort zone to release Modern Warfare 4 this year with little negative critical reception. Instead, they’ve done something bold with the franchise they gave life to, and as a result have created the best Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare 2. Big, brash and absolutely stunning.

Giantbomb 3/5
Ghosts offers the same style of video game combat that Call of Duty has had since 2007. The core of it is still engaging and can be very thrilling, if you're receptive to this type of action. In fact, it's still my favorite online multiplayer shooter. But the bells and whistles surrounding the game are muted and missing, leaving behind that same core without giving you enough new and exciting reasons to come back. Even with the improved graphics to be had on next-generation consoles, I'd rather play Black Ops II.

Now Gamer 7.5/10
But is it enough? That’s the one question that’s difficult to answer in the face of Battlefield 4’s gigantic steps into next-gen and the threat of TitanFall looming large on the horizon. It's the safest choice of all three but perhaps the most unambitious too. It doesn't put a foot wrong because nothing in Ghosts is daring to tread in new territory.

It’s just a shame that the single-player in Ghosts – the one element that could have elevated Ghosts above the superfluous single-player in Battlefield 4 and multiplayer-only affair of Titanfall – ends up being the most disappointing aspect here.

Lazygamer 8.3/10
Call of Duty: Ghosts is a great new addition to the franchise but it is definitely showing its age now. Far too many invisible walls and glitches in the single player campaign show a lack of due care and attention which I didn't expect from Infinity Ward. The multiplayer experience more than makes up for it though.

Laps3 8/10
Una entrega más de Call of Duty en esta generación que prácticamente no innova, quedando su resultado muy por debajo del de Black Ops II. Una historia mal narrada que no sorprende ni impacta y un multigador más limitado que el de la entrega anterior son demasiado lastre. La franquicia debe tener un punto de inflexión para evitarnos productos con un acabado así de regular.

Gamefront 74/100
Given the volatility of consumer behavior surround next-gen console launches, you might expect Call of Duty: Ghosts to play it safe and lean heavily on past formulas. Instead, it goes in the complete opposite direction and crafts its own path. In some areas, like the Campaign and Extinction, that works exceptionally well, but in others, such as the Squads mode, it falls woefully flat. Multiplayer is serviceable and fun if you aren’t looking for high level play and just want to have a good time, but it’s severely lacking in competitive features and customization that the series needs.

When you take a step back and look at the additions and changes to the core functionality of the game, it’s quite clear that, despite everything Call of Duty: Ghosts does right, it’s a step backwards in some regards. There’s some extreme positives, like the campaign and Extinction, but squads and issues with online multiplayer hold Ghosts back from being something special. Instead of a great next-gen transition title, we’re left with something that we’ll likely look back on and say “Huh, remember how great that could have been?”.

PushSquare 6/10
Call of Duty is a series that's getting stagnant. This latest edition is a solid shooter, with highly tuned mechanics, an addictive multiplayer offering, and a plethora of content to play through – but it very much feels like a familiar game with a few minor adjustments. The new Extinction mode is particularly good, but it's the highlight in a title that's following a tired recipe. Fans of the series will enjoy Call of Duty: Ghosts regardless, but those of you looking for something new will have to dig out those night vision goggles and search elsewhere.

Polygon 6.5
"Staunchly unambitious, and the weakest effort in the series since MW2."

Destructoid 5/10
Call of Duty may have picked up a reputation as one of the laziest, most callously developed cash cows in the business, but I've always believed that reputation was undeserved. Call of Duty: Ghosts, however, with its slapdash campaign and unambitious multiplayer, contains enough factory-standard cynicism to earn itself plenty of scorn. Nothing Ghosts does is especially bad, but nothing Ghosts does is worth paying any attention to. It exists to exist, a stopgap bit of filler spat out as the industry transitions from one generation of consoles to another.

Contrary to the old saying, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Black Ops II demonstrated that with style. Ghosts, however, is a dog that simply doesn't want to change. It knows what it is, and sticks with it. It would be a respectable endeavor, if it didn't lead to such an underwhelming and predictable little product. What a sleepy, sleepy dog.

kazebyaka

Banned
Played about 4 hours in singleplayer. Can't agree with Polygon. Campaign is awesome, with tons of fun set pieces, cool effects and graphics and with doge. Best Cod's campaign so far after blops 1 and 2.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if that dog is part of an online Klan?

Riposte

Is MW2 really considered weaker than the games that followed? I think that's the last time multiplayer maps worked.

npa189

I just don't know, I've always like the MP, but this just looks so stale. I haven't really enjoyed a COD since MW2.

I wonder how much longer this series can go on now that we are beginning next gen.

Is it going to fade away with each year? Will we see it remade from the ground up?

Damn, flaying the shit out of this game. It doesn't seem that bad. Also, MW2 was fucking awesome, what the hell is this guy talking about?

I couldn't even give any of them a 6. Bad netcode, bad balance, the guns are so bland and dumb and all feel the same, the campaigns have some of the most baffling design decisions I've ever seen, etc.

I really hope that 6.5 score becomes the trend but I doubt it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Is MW2 really considered weaker than the games that followed? I think that's the last time multiplayer maps worked.
Yeaah
Minus noob tubes being cheap, id much rather have that go off and hit me on spawn than a "spawn him here if no one is within direct eyesight, but is a corner away"

And the maps. Those maps were fun

Went back and played mw2 the other month and i left thinking its still my favorite COD

Bishop89

No, its easily the best cod this gen.
The campaign was great and the mp was extremely fun, the maps didnt suck either.

LordGouda

I couldn't even give any of them a 6. Bad netcode, bad balance, the guns are so bland and dumb and all feel the same, the campaigns have some of the most baffling design decisions I've ever seen, etc.

10/10 on IGN because why not?

diggler41

I wonder how much longer this series can go on now that we are beginning next gen.

Is it going to fade away with each year? Will we see it remade from the ground up?

This reminds me of Tony Hawk last gen. I loved Tony Hawk games but once the new systems came out Activision had already run it into the ground.

Troll

Banned
Unfortunately, for the industry to be healthy COD needs to be good. Let's hope that next year they can come back with something strong.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
This should be a fun 50-page thread, lol.

I'll prolly ask for CoD for Christmas. But with BF4 just out, and new consoles around the corner, it can wait.

rekameohs

Banned
This reminds me of Tony Hawk last gen. I loved Tony Hawk games but once the new systems came out Activision had already run it into the ground.

That's a good example of a series that was at one point a giant, but eventually collapsed into nothing. Guitar Hero would be another one. Gotta love Activision!

NMFried

COD is COD. I enjoy it. The online community is always active, and they're fun.

Headed out to pick up my copy now.

Watching Orb play this on Twitch now. He's been playing it for 6 hours. They're tearing it apart. Being shot through walls, maps way too big for the player count so makes it boring. Horribly unoptimized for their specs. All on PC btw.

It's hilarious to watch though. Not seen a multiplayer game this bad in a while. Apparently only 2500 people online so far.

The Mexinerd

Neo Member

Not if IGN get's their hands on the game.

Clefargle

I'm positive we will see at least a couple of gaffers that used to defend polygon switching sides because of this. Lol

Tapejara

Played about 4 hours in singleplayer. Can't agree with Polygon. Campaign is awesome, with tons of fun set pieces, cool effects and graphics and with doge. Best Cod's campaign so far after blops 1 and 2.

I loved Black Ops 1's campaign so that's good to hear. Gonna be interesting to see the rest of the reviews.

10/10 on IGN because why not?

I refuse to even acknowledge their reviews at this point.

I have no idea how this series has gotten away with releasing essentially the same shit year after year. Like why does next to no reviewer even kinda bring that up? I'd be annoyed even if it was with a series I liked. It's not good for the multiplayer on a really competitive level, but clearly no one cares about it like that.

After MW3 I just can't understand that opinion
The core gameplay? Actual Gun on gun skill?
Infinity ward. Treyarch time traveling gunplay, shitty sounding guns that sound like shogun firecrackers, and gas station netcode makes the game barely tolerable at times. BO2 did do a better job but still not infinity wards level.

NateDrake

Watching Orb play this on Twitch now. He's been playing it for 6 hours. They're tearing it apart. Being shot through walls, maps way too big for the player count so makes it boring. Horribly unoptimized for their specs. All on PC btw.

It's hilarious to watch though. Not seen a multiplayer game this bad in a while. Apparently only 2500 people online so far.

The game was only released in N. America 25mins ago......

Toki767

MW2 was the last COD game I played. I didn't think it was horrible or anything. I'm not sure if that line was supposed to be an insult or not.

Yup, Treyarch's cod games are easily the worst in the entire franchise. IW get's my day one purchase every single time!

Wrong. So wrong.

Treyarch kills in map design. Plus CoD3 has the best multiplayer out of all of them. Sadly single player in that game was the worst one, so not too many people played it.

IW ruined this game. It's now devolved into hot garbage online.

Top Bottom