• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

Raonak

Banned
I hope COD finally gets fried in the reviews for not changing up the formular. The arkham origins reviews spring to mind. wonder if reviewers will have the same thought of mind on COD?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All I get is this:

Code:
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 29097984) (tried to allocate 60429 bytes) in /home/rocketch/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 201

Try refreshing. Could be getting hammered a bit, unexpectedly.

For what it's worth: our review was not based on a review event, nor review code. Hence why it's up before some embargo silliness.

Kuno

That polygon review was bad, I got a chance to see it before it was taken down. I'm no cod superfan, but what I've seen of ghosts has me guardedly optimistic, and this review was brutal. The complaints from the reviewer about multiplayer sound like they're not coming from a fan of the genre.

• The perks/attachment system is too complicated? It looks deeper to me, which seems good after the simpler pick 10 system.

• Cosmetic customizations don't affect gameplay? You don't say...

• Only a handful of new modes? Well, the new ones seem to be well received, particularly Cranked. Most people TDM anyway.

• Loss of theatre mode? That does sorta suck, but it introduced lag so losing it might be justified.

• The campaign sucks? Well, that part's probably true.

Riposte

Treyarch kills in map design.

I think the Black Ops games were the one with the completely messed up spawning system and randomly cluttered maps. Kind of blurs together with MW3 though.

I remember the broken shit (and less broken, but creative builds) in MW2 fondly in a silly way, though what matters is the map design being much more to my liking.

Just weird to me this review would essentially call MW2 the worst Call of Duty in the time of its relevancy. Not that I gave a fuck about any Call of Duty review, I always wondered how in any review I read on the newer games (e.g. BO2) they never described how weird the spawns worked and the cluttered and cramped maps (and how random that made the game feel). EDIT: Oh yeah and how utterly fucked the netcode was for, IIIRC, Black Ops 2. Just frustrating to the point of being unplayable.

Duxxy3

Here is my review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmnpz2d4FiI

If you want me to expand on any points I make in the review just let me know.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have really disliked IW after CoD4. MW2 lost me so much with so much air bullshit to the point where I never even tried 3. Though I have been fairly fatigued on CoD as a whole and haven't played one since BO1, I sorta have a hankering for another. But I'll wait for a next gen console and see what some of the general player feedback is.

hmm... Maybe this will force them to develop a true next-gen engine. Only good can come out of this.

I wouldn't expect it to change much even with a new engine. They recently compared it to sports when they said that they simply can't change certain things about it. So they can make a really awesome version of CoD, but it'll always just be CoD just like FIFA will always be a soccer simulation. There's not much room for them deviate out of that. They aren't going to change the relatively small map sizes, respawn/die concept or the rollercoaster nature of the single player because those are all rules that they have to follow.

Vire

Weird that they use MW2 as the pedestal example as the worst COD game when MW3 was about a trillion times worse.

McDougles

Modern Warfare 3 was fucking awful, and hacker's paradise in MP on PC.

Jim Sterling - 9.5

It's funny how open Sterling was about that review being his 2nd proudest moment as a reviewer, the first being 10/10 for Deadly Premonition. It's like he was trolling all along...

(Not to say DP was bad, but too many graphical/audio problems to be considered as close to perfect as possible)

Expecting an 8.something from IGN.
Any lower than that will really surprise me.

Top Bottom