• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

Ambient80

Been playing a while now. I actually really like this version. The castle map is fantastic, and I like the unlock system. Squad mode is also pretty cool.
really enjoying it so far!

kakashi08

Who's on the PC. Need some friends to play with, I'm currently installing it. Should've preloaded it yesterday ahhhhh. lol

Edit: Also why isn't there a OT on this game? Is anyone making it. There's too many diff threads on this game lol

Going by the review scores it seems fatigue is starting to set in.

This is definitely true. The scores, thankfully, now reflect that this is essentially not changed enough to deserve something better. When reading the reviews, though, most of them do mention that it is still a great CoD game. I'm thankful for this, because I still love these games, despite how little they change (same with Dynasty Warriors).

Hopefully the increased criticism will be some sort of wake-up call for Activision. I approve of the lowered scores, while I can also appreciate that this is still a great game if you're a fan of the CoD formula.

Sioen

Who's on the PC. Need some friends to play with, I'm currently installing it. Should've preloaded it yesterday ahhhhh. lol

Edit: Also why isn't there a OT on this game? Is anyone making it. There's too many diff threads on this game lol
There is an OT actually.

GeeDuhb

Wow, first page is a cesspool of CoD haters trashing the game as usual. SHOCKER. I love that it's ok for Madden to be the same game, year in and year out with 2-3 changes, yet CoD has new weapons, maps, gameplay systems, etc. and it gets ripped to shreds. Oh well, haters are going to do their thing regardless.

ANYWAY, I can't wait to get my hands on my PS4 version and try it out myself. Reviews seem typical. I always enjoy the breath of fresh air that each new game gives for a while.

Wow, first page is a cesspool of CoD haters trashing the game as usual. SHOCKER. I love that it's ok for Madden to be the same game, year in and year out with 2-3 changes, yet CoD has new weapons, maps, gameplay systems, etc. and it gets ripped to shreds. Oh well, haters are going to do their thing regardless.

I think a lot of that hate also comes from people who are upset COD sells so much better than their other favorite shooter.

I think a lot of that hate also comes from people who are upset COD sells so much better than their other favorite shooter.

I understand the reason, but it's still sad to see so many people pissing on a franchise that so many seem to love simply because their own favorite games don't sell as much. Where I get with it is this: let others enjoy the games. If you personally don't like them, it doesn't mean that you should come into every thread for that game and shit it up with posts about how disinterested in the game you are.

from facebook....

Is there something specifically wrong with taking time off of work for your hobby?

There are more than a few people planning to take some time off of work for the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One... Problem, bro?

Come out and say it. What's wrong with that? Is it simply because he/she is doing it for a game that you don't happen to like?

a916

How come none of these reviews focus on the important things like map design and if they've tweaked the MP formula (things like movement, vaulting and knee sliding) are for the better? The core gameplay is good, it's the map design that really makes MP along with weapons and game modes yet everyone just skims over it?

I don't give two craps about these essays on why the campaign works or doesn't and a small blurb on "MP is MP, but hey Extinction mode...."

a916

I understand the reason, but it's still sad to see so many people pissing on a franchise that so many seem to love simply because their own favorite games don't sell as much. Where I get with it is this: let others enjoy the games. If you personally don't like them, it doesn't mean that you should come into every thread for that game and shit it up with posts about how disinterested in the game you are.

The strange thing is... COD selling millions upon millions, shifts consoles, which means new gamers... how is bringing in more gamers a bad thing? Helping the industry grow is kinda good...

Is there something specifically wrong with taking time off of work for your hobby?

There are more than a few people planning to take some time off of work for the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One... Problem, bro?

Come out and say it. What's wrong with that? Is it simply because he/she is doing it for a game that you don't happen to like?

Take a step back from the computer man, you are taking this too seriously..

zebwinz

How come none of these reviews focus on the important things like map design and if they've tweaked the MP formula (things like movement, vaulting and knee sliding) are for the better? The core gameplay is good, it's the map design that really makes MP along with weapons and game modes yet everyone just skims over it?

I don't give two craps about these essays on why the campaign works or doesn't and a small blurb on "MP is MP, but hey Extinction mode...."

I read that Extinction mode is only one map, which seems pretty slim.

Wrong. So wrong.

Treyarch kills in map design. Plus CoD3 has the best multiplayer out of all of them. Sadly single player in that game was the worst one, so not too many people played it.

IW ruined this game. It's now devolved into hot garbage online.

Opinions are all over the place on this game. I've always felt that Treyarch was the ugly stepchild as their games always had the worse netcode, sound effects, and were just the least visually impressive in almost every aspect. That's not to say that they are all bad. The did reduce reliance on kill streaks by making them harder to get which was fine [but some are too difficult to get to]. Infinity Ward started the downward spiral into twitchy gameplay with smaller and cramped maps but quick-scoping was not as prevalent and SMGs were still not overpowered [since their accuracy was kept in check]. Treyarch took all the bad traits of Infinity Ward's last game and added it to their crappy net code, crappy audio, and crappy visual effects with even smaller, more cramped maps and an over-reliance on twitch gameplay.

Ensoul

Despite some average reviews I am looking forward to playing the game. Maybe the COD bubble has started to burst but I expect several more years before it goes the way of tony hawk games.

codhand

dont look too deep into it, i just find it lame as all hell. "problem, bro?" stuff is lame too.

dont look too deep into it, i just find it lame as all hell. "problem, bro?" stuff is lame too.

I just don't understand why people have to cast such judgement upon others because they have different tastes. It comes off as pretty elitist, is all. Sorry that I attacked you for it.

codhand

I just don't understand why people have to cast such judgement upon others because they have different tastes. It comes off as pretty elitist, is all. Sorry that I attacked you for it.

cool man thanks for responding, yeah, i'm judging, it's bad, i admit, some backstory dude is 33 and hates his job, imo he should be looking for new work. not staycationing for a milquetoast cod entry,

i've no problem with cracking out on hobbies, but you gotta handle your other business too

J-Rzez

I'm bewildered at these game scores. The reviews don't read like 7's and 8's, at all. Yet they're rated as such.

Bricky

This is the first time I actually see most of the mainstream media actually acknowledging how similar the game is compared to previous releases. Even Jim Sterling isn't defending the series anymore, and I remember his 9/10's for previous iterations, so that has to say something.

Might still pick it up for PS4 just to have a CoD to play with friends on that platform (especially now that I'll only be able to pick up Titanfall for PC, which is a shame), it's still a fun multiplayer-game after all, but I'm not even going to bother with this gen's version.

system11

CoD still remembers that videogames should be fun, it's the closest modern equivalent to arcade gaming, a series of bite sized blasts.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I mentioned in a thread about that game mode that the cynic in me thinks the mode is there to sell map packs. Turns out I was right.

It should be noted though that Extinction has the player going through multiple areas. Basically you start in an area, use a drill to destroy 3 or 4 Hives and then undergo a 'siege' where a helicopter destroys a barrier to the next part of the map. Now of course I'm not sure how big the whole map is as such but you're progressing to a main part of the map to set off a bomb. I was playing it there and had a lot of fun with it, got killed in the 3rd/4th area or so. I'm enjoying it more than zombies which I never really liked in COD.

Its early days yet but I'm liking this more than Black Ops 2 so far. I prefer the bigger maps, extinction is fun and the bot modes are better. Liking the heavy recoil as well. The game seems a lot more grounded, I haven't seen too many killstreaks with it mostly being ground warfare so far. Again early days though, everyone's still learning the maps, modes, killstreaks etc.

I will also say this for it. At least the games fucking working in comparison to BF4, a game I also want to play but have had no end of problems with in bugs and crashes. (turns out my mouse 'lag' problem was a combination of very little drive space, fragmented drive and Shadowplay running)

This bit from the GiantBomb review surprised me just a little.

After playing a lot of Call of Duty: Ghosts with a lot of different gamepads, the PS4's new DualShock 4 came up as my favorite.

Though it should be noted that he hadn't played the XB1 version as of that writing.

Once when you guys get both BF4 and COD:G on the PS4, you need to make comparison videos between both these games, showing off how similar the sequences in both these games plays out and how one of them brings in a major leap in visual fidelity over another. I was watching the COD:G PS4's All or Nothing campaign walkthrough and towards the end you're running and trying to escape from a sinking aircraft carrier that has fighter jets sliding and falling off from the ship, it looked ditto to BF4's similar Campaign sequence and there are many more similar sequences between both these games. Do it GAF!

ViciousDS

Banned
I just hope the sales reflect this. They need a massive shake up to get out of this rut.

well last night line for midnight release the line was dead......3 people at 6pm.....last year it was over 70 at that time. Mind you next gen is next week but......it was a tiny line compared to last year.

Black Ops midnight was by far the biggest though circling the strip mall twice.....roughly 500 at midnight release.

MW3 wasn't as big but we had NOS come out, a DJ, paintball, live combat training, jimmy johns, dominoes, and a Tournament.

This year was DEAD.....absolutely dead.

Top Bottom