• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Nah its more "for me anyway" I already know the differences and I'm happy with what the DE version delivers it looks like an upgrade
I don't care about the PC version because I already know about it and I'm not here to talk about it and I don't think anyone else is either, did that months ago I already know it good, but look what we have here, an upgraded (in most areas, imo) 1080p@60fps
Thats good wouldn't ya say?
Both look fantastic but this looks fantastic imo
UpgeoKy.jpg

Btw, are the trophies the same as PS3?
Holy crap, her new face looks great. I like it a lot.

So how is multiplayer? The PS3 version was pretty bad. The framerate nearly unenjoyable. Not unplayable but not fun.

Is it better in this one? I'm asking about the Ps4 version of course! ;)

I called my local Gamestop and the guy on the phone laughed when I asked him if they were selling it yet.

I fucking hate my local Gamestop. Every single person that works there is a fucking prick.

FaintDeftone

I called my local Gamestop and the guy on the phone laughed when I asked him if they were selling it yet.

I fucking hate my local Gamestop. Every single person that works there is a fucking prick.

I have a GameStop near me that is similar, and unfortunately it is the closest one to me. I refuse to go there because all of the employees are condescending douchebags that are anything but pleasant to deal with.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was a highly anticipated game or something lol.

It's a way better looking version of a GotY title for quite a few people here. There are haters of the game and the price tag but I'm pretty excited to replay it. It's also been a slow month for games.

PhatSaqs

Banned
It's a way better looking version of a GotY title for quite a few people here. There are haters of the game and the price tag but I'm pretty excited to replay it. It's also been a slow month for games.
Good shit. I'll prob end up impulse buying it via digital now. All the version difference hoopla definitely did the game a huge service in terms of pub.

I got my copy last night and have been playing most of the day today. I have already
found myself back in the Mountain Village with the rope arrows
. I 100%'d the SP campaign on the 360 and am now working through it again on the PS4. My take on this "Definitive Edition:"

Tomb Raider is a good game. Worthy of a second playthrough so soon, for me, maybe not. Especially not at $60.

The graphics are simply gorgeous and the framerate seems to mostly 60fps. Some scenes take a hit, but it's not enough to detract from my experience. Edges seem to be very crisp and clean with some form of AA, the texture detail is superb, and the new particle effects are instantly recognizable.

Playing with the DS4 is simply sublime. The game uses the controller speaker and lightbar to great effect. In spite of it reflecting on my Kuro, I do love the lightbar. One of the neat ways it is used in DE is when you have a torch the controller flickers between orange and yellow, making it seem like the ambient light of the torch is on one's lap.

I don't have buyer's remorse, but I could have waited for a price drop. I am still having fun romping through this game again, but having already 100%'d the SP campaign I do feel like I am just jumping through familiar hoops all over again.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was a highly anticipated game or something lol.

I dunno why but I just think it's pretty appealing when a game breaks it's street date, unexpected, and just a great way to start the weekend.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The game uses the controller speaker and lightbar to great effect. In spite of it reflecting on my Kuro, I do love the lightbar. One of the neat ways it is used in DE is when you have a torch the controller flickers between orange and yellow, making it seem like the ambient light of the torch is on one's lap.

This sounds so fucking stupid.

LTWood12

I preordered yesterday morning and got the artbook edition today. I think I lucked out, however, as the GameStop employee said it was the last one. Hopefully you'll get one as well.

Edit: I see you are getting it as well :)

They ALWAYS say that.

thuway

Comparing this game apples to apples will be tough. I'm waiting for Digital Foundry to come through it. I will say the PS4 version supercedes the PC version in many aspects. Until a PC port hits I doubt we'll be able to tell.

Did you see how many posts each thread for this game has gotten? They knew what they were doing when they priced this game at $60. Despite all the belly aching this game is gonna sell quite a few copies at that price.

This sounds so fucking stupid.

Because it is. A flashing light in my lap while I play a videogame? No thanks. Nobody asked for this. Even better they give you no option to turn it off!

JLeack

Banned
Sorry if I'm repeating what someone else said.

For those of you interested in the PS4 version, the benefits of the DS4 are pretty cool. The speaker (optional) performs gun noises, and interactions with the environment. You might want to disable it if you're streaming though. My viewers were kind of annpyed by hearing noises doubled.

Also, the light bar flickers yellow and red when you're holding a torch. It isn't enough to light up a dark room, but the bright white flash when you fire a gun is. Your neighbors might think you're shooting a real gun.

Kinthalis

Banned
Comparing this game apples to apples will be tough. I'm waiting for Digital Foundry to come through it. I will say the PS4 version supercedes the PC version in many aspects. Until a PC port hits I doubt we'll be able to tell.

Not fromt he screens I've seen.

There is no selfshadowing in many places and/or inferior SSAO. Grass that is nicely shadowed on PC is flat on PS4. Also less of it. Depth of field effect on the PC seems to be gone on the PS4, at least in some shots. And the textures look better on the PC version as well. Also that new face is ugly.

They did seem to add a lot more leaves on the trees though for the next gen console version and lighting seems a bit more complex.

That's the new skin shader. Give the old model that sub-surface scattered skin, and she'd look better IMO.

Nah...it's the old face. Even when the game first shipped, I always found her face to look odd. This new one shows more emotion and looks to fit her more. In my opinion, of course.

Are these for real?

If so. Lol.

2424422-4405281814-SXXXr.gif

2424424-0239598468-Fjwcw.gif

Sure, use the worst screen caps available. From a stream, no less.

Kinthalis

Banned
Nah...it's the old face. Even when the game first shipped, I always found her face to look odd. This new one shows more emotion and looks to fit her more. In my opinion, of course.

Sure, use the worst screen caps available. From a stream, no less.

Is there another angle from which that tree doesn't look like ass?

Xander51

Well, I played about an hour of the Xbox One version so far. Have seen no tearing at all, but the framerate definitely jumps around a bit here and there. Very smooth gameplay overall though, I believe their claim that it maintains at least 30. I like the new face and the new effects so far.

Noticed that the new Lara model is also actually in the flashback cutscenes on the video camera, which I believe were pre-rendered on the older versions because even with TressFX on for the PC, she still had the old hair in those cutscenes. It's nice that they re-did the pre-rendered cutscenes to account for the new model.

Looks like the other models got some minor tweaks too. Roth's hair is...thicker, for lack of a better word.

Is it 60? Nope. Not close. Is it nice and smooth? So far yes, with just a few judders during intense stuff like the climb up the boulder area near the beginning. I think they beefed up the dynamic range of the audio a little too, as my sub is getting a good workout.

Full disclosure: I love the game and played all three versions last year, and have replayed it a few times too, take from that what you will. But the Xbox One version in no way feels broken or terrible. If you didn't see the PS4 footage/version, or didn't have a nice fast PC, you'd probably be more than happy with the framerate here, in my opinion.

Edited to reflect new info on pre-rendered cutscenes.

xion4360

Noticed that the new Lara model is also actually in the flashback cutscenes on the video camera, which I believe were pre-rendered on the older versions because even with TressFX on for the PC, she still had the old hair in those cutscenes. I think they're real-time now.

its still pre-recorded but it was re-rendered.

Tomb Raider is a good game. Worthy of a second playthrough so soon, for me, maybe not. Especially not at $60.

The graphics are simply gorgeous and the framerate seems to mostly 60fps. Some scenes take a hit, but it's not enough to detract from my experience. Edges seem to be very crisp and clean with some form of AA, the texture detail is superb, and the new particle effects are instantly recognizable.

Playing with the DS4 is simply sublime. The game uses the controller speaker and lightbar to great effect. In spite of it reflecting on my Kuro, I do love the lightbar. One of the neat ways it is used in DE is when you have a torch the controller flickers between orange and yellow, making it seem like the ambient light of the torch is on one's lap.
Sounds excellent. I'll wait until it's about $30, that seems like the perfect price/value ratio for me.

Well, I played about an hour of the Xbox One version so far. Have seen no tearing at all, but the framerate definitely jumps around a bit here and there. Very smooth gameplay overall though, I believe their claim that it maintains at least 30. I like the new face and the new effects so far.

Noticed that the new Lara model is also actually in the flashback cutscenes on the video camera, which I believe were pre-rendered on the older versions because even with TressFX on for the PC, she still had the old hair in those cutscenes. I think they're real-time now.

Looks like the other models got some minor tweaks too. Roth's hair is...thicker, for lack of a better word.

Is it 60? Nope. Not close. Is it nice and smooth? So far yes, with just a few judders during intense stuff like the climb up the boulder area near the beginning. I think they beefed up the dynamic range of the audio a little too, as my sub is getting a good workout.

Full disclosure: I love the game and played all three versions last year, and have replayed it a few times too, take from that what you will. But the Xbox One version in no way feels broken or terrible. If you didn't see the PS4 footage/version, or didn't have a nice fast PC, you'd probably be more than happy with the framerate here, in my opinion.

Thanks for the Impressions. Looking forward to picking it up. :) I DO wonder if both versions can/will have a patch down the road to help make the Frame rate more stable.

Xander51

Thanks for the Impressions. Looking forward to picking it up. :) I DO wonder if both versions can/will have a patch down the road to help make the Frame rate more stable.

Given the 13 gig Dead Rising patch happened, I suppose anything is possible at this point!

Top Bottom