• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT2| Prepare to Vengarl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fee like I have the perfect build, I'm OP as hell, or this game is stupid easy. I've beaten the last 4 areas without dying, including bosses. SL 88ish, I'm in Harvest Valley atm, destroying these guys with my arrows. It's still addicting as hell though. I wanna change my melee weapon, it's a Fire Longsword +5, but nothing has come close to matching its damage and I still can't make the special weapons since I don't have the ember yet. I'm a high DEX build, I found a rapier which I really like and has an A dex stat boost, I'm hoping I can do something with that, but I'm not sure I should commit to it only to find out nothing great will come of it.

well i was soul level 50 something at harvest, so sounds like you are OP

Went to post... THREAD CLOSED! PREPARE TO SECOND THREAD!

Anyways, anyone have any tips for the
three tall ass suits of armor boss - Ruin Sentinels? The top one I can take out but the bottom two really get to me.

Clevinger

Those masked guys from the reveal trailer
in Earthen Peak ended up being a letdown. Figured they'd be more important. They didn't even have heads! And they changed those cool creepy masks they had! :(

tookhster

Holy shit
Belfry Sol.

Got invaded by one dude who killed me while I was fighting the regular enemies. Then I respawn and as soon as I go up the ladder and kill the enemies, I get invaded by TWO freaking people who double teamed me and went all backstab glitch on me.

Ugh, considering going offline lmao.

Gorillaz

The PVP in this is just as bullshit as Dark Souls 1. There is so much lag, spells that clearly come no wheres near you do damage. Such horse shit.

Nah PvP was actually more fun in DS1, you might be a distance away from the dedi in your "area".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The official guide should show up tomorrow. Looking forward to digging into after I finish my first run through the game.

three tall ass suits of armor boss - Ruin Sentinels? The top one I can take out but the bottom two really get to me.

I beat the two on the ground by using Lightning Spear on one and closing in to melee the last. Do you have any ranged options?

Zeliard

I fee like I have the perfect build, I'm OP as hell, or this game is stupid easy. I've beaten the last 4 areas without dying, including bosses. SL 88ish, I'm in Harvest Valley atm, destroying these guys with my arrows. It's still addicting as hell though. I wanna change my melee weapon, it's a Fire Longsword +5, but nothing has come close to matching its damage and I still can't make the special weapons since I don't have the ember yet. I'm a high DEX build, I found a rapier which I really like and has an A dex stat boost, I'm hoping I can do something with that, but I'm not sure I should commit to it only to find out nothing great will come of it.

I recommend the Blacksteel Katana, which you can get as a drop from
the knights in Iron Keep.
Use item discovery boosting stuff to help ensure the drop.

It has an S scale with DEX when upgraded, does solid damage, and has great R1 attacks. It uses normal titanite for upgrades.

There's also the Berserker Blade which is a rare drop from
a phantom in Belfry Luna
. It's reminiscent of the Chaos Blade from Dark Souls 1 in its moveset but also has a thrusting attack with its 1H R2 attack. Note that it does have a STR requirement of 18, and uses twinkling titanite.

Those are the two weapons I'm messing around with as a DEX character. They're very nice. If you get your STR high enough you can also power stance them, if you're into dual wielding.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Had the areas kinda cleared out to 3 bosses today, and had failed on all 3 multiple times yesterday.

Beat all 3 on my first shot today.

So happy

So many rings and levelups.

Feel like an idiot though because after equipping a bow I have the stats for/slotting in arrows I can't seem to figure out how to fire from aim mode. Forgot since I almost never used bows in earlier games.

Honestly, no. Or not that I have tried. Mostly a melee guy. Not sure if I'm screwed or what.

Nah, but the skill requirement for the fight probably just doubled. ;)

If you don't want to do it solo I'm pretty sure there's an NPC phantom you can summon, and no end to people putting their summon sign down there to help.

test_account

XP-39C²
Holy moly, i thought there was a bug in the game where my character changed sex. I was getting pretty "nervous" about that hehe, because i'd prefer that my character is the way that i made it. I thought the bug happened when i used
Ring of the Dead
, but after doing a quick search on Google, it turns out that you can change sex by
going into the coffin which can be found early in the game
. I didnt notice this before now, turns out i've been playing like this for a while hehe since i've used a mask and armor for some time, not seeing which sex i've been using hehe.

Ken

darn you can't go in reverse from
lost bastille to dead man's wharf by the boat lol

any where i can find a good chime upgrade from the starting one? i have the disc chime but the lower spell speed is killer.

Just got to an area with
a pirate ship and freaky enemies. Difficulty has increased here with enemies that guard-break you! Much tougher than the giant knights in the area before it!

Finished this thing last night. Pretty good but seriously what the fuck is up with those bosses. Way too easy, especially the
last one who had such a weird and vague set up.

Idunno. I think I like it more than Dark Souls content wise. Archdrake Set sucks more than I'd like though and it takes a while to even get it so fuck my dreams of playing through like that without it being NG+ I guess.

Also I was not invaded even once besides by NPC phantoms outside of the Bell areas. Fuck's up with that?

ironcreed

Banned
Whew! Smelter Demon down. Not ashamed to admit that I summoned a handy sorcerer to help me as well. Thing is, I soloed both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and planned to do it here as well. But this was one of those times where I said screw it. He was pissing me off too much. lol. I'll save soloing each boss for my next play through. Thanks sorcerer dude!

test_account

XP-39C²
Honestly, no. Or not that I have tried. Mostly a melee guy. Not sure if I'm screwed or what.
I think its best to go back to that fight later on when you have leveled up some more. That is what i did at least. I'm also a melee guy. I had big problems beating that boss, but after i had leveled up my strength and dexterity, it was a lot easier. I use a Halberd +10, and it takes down each of those bosses in maybe 10-12 hits. I also think that i took off most of my armor to make rolling/avoiding faster. But using a shield might also work.

Audioboxer

This chariot boss....

The run up to it sucks, those normal mobs hit like trucks and are really fast, there's a red phantom (luckily dies and stays away), and then the boss itself keeps wiping out anyone I summon.

And it's optional.

lol.

Had the areas kinda cleared out to 3 bosses today, and had failed on all 3 multiple times yesterday.

Beat all 3 on my first shot today.

So happy

So many rings and levelups.

Feel like an idiot though because after equipping a bow I have the stats for/slotting in arrows I can't seem to figure out how to fire from aim mode. Forgot since I almost never used bows in earlier games.

If the Bow is in your left hand, R1 to aim. Vice versa if the bow is in your right hand.

So I used a bonfire ascetic in the Iron Keep to take on
Smelter Demon
again for Lucatiel's questline, and at least it appears she knows how to block in NG+ lol.

Zeliard

tips for
iron king
?

He only has about
four different attacks, all of which can be dodged by rolling (even his lateral fire spewing, though you should also be able to move to the corner and have it miss). He also does this rare AOE blast thing, but so long as you back up it will miss you completely.

If you're melee, wait until he slams his hand(s) on the ground and swipe away. With an upgraded bladed weapon you should be doing significant damage. He has a common attack which is to slam one fist down, then the other, and that's the best time to attack him.

halfbeast

Banned
I recommend the Blacksteel Katana, which you can get as a drop from
the knights in Iron Keep.
Use item discovery boosting stuff to help ensure the drop.

It has an S scale with DEX when upgraded, does solid damage, and has great R1 attacks. It uses normal titanite for upgrades.

There's also the Berserker Blade which is a rare drop from
a phantom in Belfry Luna
. It's reminiscent of the Chaos Blade from Dark Souls 1 in its moveset but also has a thrusting attack with its 1H R2 attack. Note that it does have a STR requirement of 18, and uses twinkling titanite.

Those are the two weapons I'm messing around with as a DEX character. They're very nice. If you get your STR high enough you can also power stance them, if you're into dual wielding.

what do you think of the
curved sword you can get with the sentinel's souls (forgot the name)?
I'm toying with both
the black katana
and this one, can't tell which one I prefer. got my
katana to a +7

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I played from about 9am-3pm today and somehow haven't hit a boss yet. Game seems huge. I'm playing as a knight--so far I'm really liking the feel of combat though I did turn off the auto-lock to next enemy since that messed me up against larger groups. Can't say enough about jump having a dedicated button, haven't fallen to my death yet going for those delicately placed items. Overall, the game feels easier to me, at least the actual enemies. Even the intimidating ones you meet early on go down fairly quickly.
I'm on the fence about fast travel. On the one hand it's great if you've got a pile of souls and just want to level up before risking losing them but the huge negative is that you then find yourself disconnected from the world. The familiarity that was part of the Dark Souls experience definitely suffers as a result.
On enemy placement--I've experienced some classic ones but then I'll go through stretches of emptiness which seems odd considering the size of the world. There are times where I'm scared of what's around the corner only to find nothing there. Maybe this is too early in the game for final judgment however.
Regardless, the game is great---surprisingly beautiful as well, considering some of the "downgrade" backlash. The framerate on the 360 seems pretty damn nimble, which threw me off at first in less demanding areas.

Woo OT2! Now I have a question. Is there a point to all the Pharros Lockstones in
Grave of Saints
? Some don't seem to do anything.

Gorillaz

This chariot boss....

The run up to it sucks, those normal mobs hit like trucks and are really fast, there's a red phantom (luckily dies and stays away), and then the boss itself keeps wiping out anyone I summon.

And it's optional.

lol.

I think the worst part of summoning people for that fight is one people don't know the way to evade the boss and die at the start.

Now that shit bugs me

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or do most of the boss soul weapons kind of suck? The Pursuer's Great Shield is pretty damn nice, but everything else I've made hasn't been amazing. I'm probably about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the game, so have seen quite a few. Maybe they get better after lots of upgrades?

bigmac996

Posted this earlier, but it'll help you:

I had to solo the
sentinels
on my first playthrough since the servers weren't online yet, and picked up a pretty good strategy. All you have to do is focus on the first
sentinel
on the ledge, kill him (while remaining on the ledge) and then drop down onto the other doing a drop-stab move. When the other two are together, keep them in front of you at all times, never let them separate and get behind you. If you have a good stability shield, you can block their attacks easily with very little stamina reduction and the fight becomes a matter of finding a good moment to strike in between blows, keeping them in front of you and blocking/ circling behind them.

It's really not as difficult as you might think.

halfbeast

Banned
This chariot boss....

And it's optional.

lol.

I LOVE that boss! fought him many times in the beta, so I knew what I had to do.
I still find it hilariously awesome that you end up fighting the horses and not the rider!

UnrealEck

This chariot boss....

And it's optional.

lol.

Spoiler tag therefore try beanpole and then praise the sun.

Ravager61

FINALLY cleared
The Iron Keep

While it might be one of my favorite looking areas of the game so far, its also probably to most frustrating.

Archers everywhere, those turtle enemies with the huge clubs are bullshit and way harder than they should be, the smelter demon sucks ass is if you don't have fire resistance, the run back to him also sucks. Oh, and fuck that small hole in the floor during the Old Iron King. I got knocked into that thing almost every death I had on that boss.

AngryMoth

Oh yeah another thing I just remembered that I never found. (Shaded woods)
The NPC you find in the foggy area who is just a head pretty strongly I implies that his headless body is going to be a boss at some point. Is that a thing
?

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
If the Bow is in your left hand, R1 to aim. Vice versa if the bow is in your right hand.

So I used a bonfire ascetic in the Iron Keep to take on
Smelter Demon
again for Lucatiel's questline, and at least it appears she knows how to block in NG+ lol.

Haha. I summoned her along with a sunbro for that fight. I don't know what happened, but the boss performed a combo on her right off the bat that somehow glitched her into the wall. After that the boss ignored her while she was stuck against the wall walking in place for the rest of the fight. The only fight she has managed to survive through so far.

Fbh

ahhh I hate that damn;
Rat Boss. Have only actually managed to fight it once. The other 5 times I died from toxic from the small ones at the start. Is there any effective way to kill them?

bigmac996

Oh yeah another thing I just remembered that I never found. (Shaded woods)
The NPC you find in the foggy area who is just a head pretty strongly I implies that his headless body is going to be a boss at some point. Is that a thing
?

Yes! You'll know when you get there.

Wait, unless you've already passed the part, in that case:
it's the dual-sworded guy you fight at the bonfire in brightstone. If you go back to his head after, he'll give you his helmet to complete his armor set.

iekSB7Zed5thX.gif

are you proud of me dad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom