• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT2| Prepare to Vengarl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona7

Banned
I think the worst part of summoning people for that fight is one people don't know the way to evade the boss and die at the start.

Now that shit bugs me

Like one out of every two games I am summoned in have the host immediately run towards the boss and get skewered within five seconds.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I think the worst part of summoning people for that fight is one people don't know the way to evade the boss and die at the start.

Now that shit bugs me

The worst part of that fight is being summoned by someone that doesn't know how to do that fight. I spent a good 5 minutes on one summon trying to point out the solution while my summoner was too busy running around doing everything but finishing the fight.

Is there anything special to do in the
Cathedral of Blue after beating the boss? I went to the downstairs bonfire but there's nothing going on...

halfbeast

Banned
ahhh I hate that damn;
Rat Boss. Have only actually managed to fight it once. The other 5 times I died from toxic from the small ones at the start. Is there any effective way to kill them?

yeah, there's an easy way to do it:
throw the disc out of the window. fuck that stupid boss and he's stupid toxic rat posse! seriously!

bigmac996

ahhh I hate that damn;
Rat Boss. Have only actually managed to fight it once. The other 5 times I died from toxic from the small ones at the start. Is there any effective way to kill them?

Best way is to
kill the corpse rats with a melee weapon like a greatsword, or a spell that has a wide area of effect. If you can keep your distance and take em all out in a couple sweeps, you're set. It's easier if you bait them a bit so they cluster together, but do it fast before the boss does its lunge attack

Ken

You can talk to the dude by the balcony to join his covenant, that's about it.

if you join the blue sentinels, you can interact with the statues by the bonfire too!

but then i dont think any one is in the way of the blue so blue sentinels have no one to protect lol.

Thanks

Okay so thus far I've done
Forest, Heide's, Cathedral, Wharf, and Lost Bastille
. Is anything else open to me aside from
Sinner's Rise?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Ah, the ol' "didn't know it was the final boss until the credits rolled."

Not sure if 2 is as good as 1, but it's at least pretty close, which makes it still one of the absolute best games on the 360/ps3.

For me I think it depends on how PvP ends up turning out, and PvP is pretty fucked up right now.

I have been Black Separation Crystal'd TWICE now. Really pissing me off. Once summoned me only to Separate immediately after.

Quick question, can you be invaded by NPCs while in Hollowed? Haven't found an answer yet and don't want to waste Effigies while exploring levels.

i have to go on a business trip for the next two weeks, so no dark souls. and so far i have only made it to
the lost bastille
. about 11 or 12 hours in, which is a lot for me to play in a week. i love helping people fight bosses in this game.

bigmac996

I'm at what I think is the final boss lol, I must have missed it.

I edited the post, but in case you didn't see it,
it was the boss at the brightstone bonfire that drops the heavy armor set. Can't remember his name off the top of my head, but that should ring a bell! He gives you his helmet if you talk to him after beating him

Zeliard

what do you think of the
curved sword you can get with the sentinel's souls (forgot the name)?
I'm toying with both
the black katana
and this one, can't tell which one I prefer. got my
katana to a +7

I've used boss souls to create both the
Warped Sword, which is the one you're referring to, and the Mytha dagger. I've only messed with them for a bit but I think they're both pretty neat. Warped Sword has a solid moveset (especially its R2 combos) and pleasantly quick attack speed, though I'm not sure what sort of damage it can get up to.

The dagger seems like it could work really well in a dual wielding setup, though obviously as a dagger it has a great deficiency in range. Ideally you'd want the other weapon to make up for that.

I haven't played with those two around too much yet because my katanas do considerably more damage, and I'm hesitant to invest petrified dragon bone in boss weapons until I've gotten to play around with more of them.

saturnine

holy shit, the npc summons are fucking pathetic
how in hell are they supposed to help you when they go down in 60 seconds!? FROM, give me back sweet solaire :mad:

is there a summon range guide somewhere already? I'm having a really hard time finding any summon sign, level 55-ish
against lost sinner
. I fear I might be over-leveled, but I still get my ass handed to me by the mooks as soon as I let my guard down.
I don't want to spend titanite to reinforce my armors because I might find something better, and the devs had the brilliant idea to not let you buy it freely, so you have to be really careful about not wasting it. FROM, give me back my dude andré :mad:

Haha. I summoned her along with a sunbro for that fight. I don't know what happened, but the boss performed a combo on her right off the bat that somehow glitched her into the wall. After that the boss ignored her while she was stuck against the wall walking in place for the rest of the fight. The only fight she has managed to survive through so far.

If only I could be so lucky :(

My friend and I deal out plenty of damage, but even with that ring that supposedly draws aggro he just focuses her the entire time and wails on her. This is the last fight I need her to survive as per the requirements for her quest line so just gotta keep on trying..

how in hell are they supposed to help you when they go down in 60 seconds!? FROM, give me back sweet solaire :mad:

is there a summon range guide somewhere already? I'm having a really hard time finding any summon sign, level 55-ish
against lost sinner
. I fear I might be over-leveled, but I still get my ass handed to me by the mooks as soon as I let my guard down.
I don't want to spend titanite to reinforce my armors because I might find something better, and the devs had the brilliant idea to not let you buy it freely, so you have to be really careful about not wasting it. FROM, give me back my dude andré :mad:

You can actually buy titanite, although it's late game.

against lost sinner

You actually might be underleveled. I was SL72 at that boss.

AngryMoth

I edited the post, but in case you didn't see it,
it was the boss at the brightstone bonfire that drops the heavy armor set. Can't remember his name off the top of my head, but that should ring a bell! He gives you his helmet if you talk to him after beating him
Is he a proper boss as in health bar at the bottom of the screen? I am blanking hard here. Which bonfire?

Ristlager

I think this game just broke me :( finished both demons souls and dark souls without that much trouble, but I just think that this game have gone over the top in ways to make it frustrating. The boss fights are all the same so far, strafe and try to get a hit in somewhere. And fuck the sentinels, everyone I summon dies within seconds leaving me, due to my suckiness, totally overwhelmed. Drinking estus is almost useless in boss fights, and when one hit takes away 50% I have no chance. Tried to do something else and found a bonefire, guarded by three bowwielding shitheads. So every time I spawn I get to a couple of arrows in my knee :(

And then we have enemies that trips and falls on the ground and for no reason spreads dust in my eyes taking 30% of my health while guarding. So I am right now not feeling it as I should.

I need a glitch/cheat that makes it more tollerable. Or a better dex weapon (heidis sword and flamesword at the moment. SL 56.

halfbeast

Banned
Warped Sword, which is the one you're referring to, and the Mytha dagger. I've only messed with them for a bit but I think they're both pretty neat. Warped Sword has a solid moveset (especially its R2 combos) and pleasantly quick attack speed, though I'm not sure what sort of damage it can get up to.

The dagger seems like it could work really well in a dual wielding setup, though obviously as a dagger it has a great deficiency in range. Ideally you'd want the other weapon to make up for that.

I haven't played with those two around too much yet because my katanas do considerably more damage, and I'm hesitant to invest petrified dragon bone in boss weapons until I've gotten to play around with more of them.

oh, so there won't be plenty of
dragon bones
then? well, I'll give the
warped sword
a shot, anything else just needs way too much strength to wield, since I'm going with a DEX/MAGE build (not sure how I feel about it).
I like the warped sword's moveset a lot, tried it on those guards in Iron Keep and I feel like I can R1-spam-kill them with it easily. don't know if you can buff it, though - would be another plus for the black katana if not. also, thanks on the rotten resin tip for smelter demon! :D worked great until we double KO'd. v_v

AngryMoth

I have
warped sword
at +5 and it only does slightly less damage than my uchi +10. I'm using it as my main, it's got a really nice moveset.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I have been Black Separation Crystal'd TWICE now. Really pissing me off. Once summoned me only to Separate immediately after.

Quick question, can you be invaded by NPCs while in Hollowed? Haven't found an answer yet and don't want to waste Effigies while exploring levels.

People are summoning you for co-op then immediately sending you home? That seems... pointless. I've never seen that, though I've had a few where a phantom gets summoned then immediately goes home. I assume they were trying to be summoned by a friend or something, but doing it the other way around doesn't accomplish anything.

And yes, NPC phantoms will invade you while you're hollow now.

Dresden

And then we have enemies that trips and falls on the ground and for no reason spreads dust in my eyes taking 30% of my health while guarding. So I am right now not feeling it as I should.

Those guys are the worst. There's a certain room in that area with a petrified statue where there's about six of them, and due to how you warp there frequently for ~reasons~, it remains one of the more annoying areas of the game.

isual

sup casuls.

btw, has anyone been able to get the two other parts of the alonne captain (not knight) set ?

or are they in NG plus?

Those guys are the worst. There's a certain room in that area with a petrified statue where there's about six of them, and due to how you warp there frequently for ~reasons~, it remains one of the more annoying areas of the game.

their armor set is one of the hardest to get...

ironcreed

Banned
Sorcery looks so badass in this game. Between the sorcerer who invaded and destroyed me last night and the one that helped me today, I have decided that I am definitely going to have to do a pure sorcery run. It will be a real change of pace for me as well, because I rarely ever do that.

I have
warped sword
at +5 and it only does slightly less damage than my uchi +10. I'm using it as my main, it's got a really nice moveset.

I'm using a mace and halberd at the moment, but I want to add a katana to the mix as well. Is the Uchi the one to go with?

People are summoning you for co-op then immediately sending you home? That seems... pointless. I've never seen that, though I've had a few where a phantom gets summoned then immediately goes home. I assume they were trying to be summoned by a friend or something, but doing it the other way around doesn't accomplish anything.

And yes, NPC phantoms will invade you while you're hollow now.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, it was cause they wanted to access the bonfire, I think.

Does shockwave do anything at all lol? I tried to use it to knockdown some enemies in lost bastille but it just hit them and did nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Dresden

Sorcery looks so badass in this game. Between the sorcerer who invaded and destroyed me last night and the one that helped me today, I have decided that I am definitely going to have to do a pure sorcery run. It will be a real change of pace for me as well, because I rarely ever do that.

Soul Vortex and Soul Greatsword are two of the coolest spells in the series. The latter needed to be acquired earlier than it is, though.

CrovaxPSO

I killed one of the cyclops on the beach when I first did the tutorial area and just went back and killed the second one, but the woman in the house won't give me the
ladle
. I saw a post somewhere that said you might have to kill both without dying to get it. Anyone know what the deal is?

Arcayne

Got
Lost Sinner
down after I effigied back to full health. Strategy I used was forward-roll + R1 for Heide Sword lunge a couple miliseconds after he charges his attacks, back away as needed, and rinse repeat the whole fight.

Also, the scale of Lost Bastille is incredible if you look up and around outside. The area looks so large it could be an entire game in itself. Instant reminder of Castlevania.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Killed my first boss.
dragonrider
Thinking I might have gone out of order.

I'm really sucking hard on this game. DS1 didn't seem this difficult.

When you're summoned, do the enemies in the host's world drop their weapons/armor when they die? All I've been getting are lifegems from the Alonne knights.

Those masked guys from the reveal trailer
in Earthen Peak ended up being a letdown. Figured they'd be more important. They didn't even have heads! And they changed those cool creepy masks they had! :(

I got their mask to drop pretty quickly. It's light and has decent stats, good for light DEX builds. And yeah, judging by the trailer, I thought they'd be more important plot-wise.

Oh, and Jester Hat also has item find and has slightly better defense than the Explorer beret. And it's funner to wear.

bigmac996

Is he a proper boss as in health bar at the bottom of the screen? I am blanking hard here. Which bonfire?

lol
remember in brightstone cove after the boss you fight that undead guy in his study? Then the room after is the primal bonfire and the boss is there. He doesn't have a bottom screen health bar. I just checked his armor in my game and his name is Vengarl if that rings any bells.

I killed one of the cyclops on the beach when I first did the tutorial area and just went back and killed the second one, but the woman in the house won't give me the
ladle
. I saw a post somewhere that said you might have to kill both without dying to get it. Anyone know what the deal is?

There is a third one, it's located
near where you first start the game, left of the river bridge you cross to get to the house
. It drops a nice ring, too.

Edit- I have killed all of them but haven't been offered the item reward yet. What gives?

Akai XIII

Where do you get the armour from all the promo trailers? Feeling a bit silly running around in the Drangleic set with a jester hat.

The flambérge looks amazing, serrated Zwei lol.

I've been to all the places you mentioned and a few others, yet I haven't managed to wander into [that place]
Sinner's Rise
… Where is the entrance?

Keep going through
Lost Bastille
, just follow it through after the boss fight and you should find that area

saturnine

You can actually buy titanite, although it's late game.
ah, I hoped so. I pray it's not too late in the game.

You actually might be underleveled. I was SL72 at that boss.
what seriously? ugh :(
I guess the average SL must be higher than in the previous games, what with equipment load, stamina, health and the agility thingy stat.

oh, and I see people talking about a
wharf before tackling lost sinner
, I found an area that might be it but I was coming from the
bastille
, did I miss an obvious road somewhere ?

annybuddy?
with the
cat ring
, you can get to
the bottom of the hole in majula
and meet true despair.

Fbh

Best way is to
kill the corpse rats with a melee weapon like a greatsword, or a spell that has a wide area of effect. If you can keep your distance and take em all out in a couple sweeps, you're set. It's easier if you bait them a bit so they cluster together, but do it fast before the boss does its lunge attack

Thx.

Tried using my +3 bastard sword and it worked great.
Boss itslef wasn't hard

Vee_One

Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide to this game? I am keen to get started but have no idea what class I should play, bonuses to choose etc.

Seems very daunting but I'm keen to get into it. For reference I played about 5 hours of Dark Souls (not sure why I stopped)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom