• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT2| Prepare to Vengarl

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inconsistency in graphics in this game can be a bit hu?', but damn -
Shrine of Amana
is a nice looking zone. Has that feeling of atmosphere that many of the other ones are lacking.

Some of the mid-late game areas are hella cool. The initial half of the game is a bit so-so, but the latter half is impressing the hell out of me .

I think its best to go back to that fight later on when you have leveled up some more. That is what i did at least. I'm also a melee guy. I had big problems beating that boss, but after i had leveled up my strength and dexterity, it was a lot easier. I use a Halberd +10, and it takes down each of those bosses in maybe 10-12 hits. I also think that i took off most of my armor to make rolling/avoiding faster. But using a shield might also work.

Nah, but the skill requirement for the fight probably just doubled. ;)

If you don't want to do it solo I'm pretty sure there's an NPC phantom you can summon, and no end to people putting their summon sign down there to help.

Posted this earlier, but it'll help you:

I had to solo the
sentinels
on my first playthrough since the servers weren't online yet, and picked up a pretty good strategy. All you have to do is focus on the first
sentinel
on the ledge, kill him (while remaining on the ledge) and then drop down onto the other doing a drop-stab move. When the other two are together, keep them in front of you at all times, never let them separate and get behind you. If you have a good stability shield, you can block their attacks easily with very little stamina reduction and the fight becomes a matter of finding a good moment to strike in between blows, keeping them in front of you and blocking/ circling behind them.

It's really not as difficult as you might think.

Ok thanks for the heads up guys. I'll head over and do the Wharf and then come back to fight them after. :D

AngryMoth

The inconsistency in graphics in this game can be a bit hu?', but damn -
Shrine of Amana
is a nice looking zone. Has that feeling of atmosphere that many of the other ones are lacking.

Some of the mid-late game areas are hella cool. The initial half of the game is a bit so-so, but the latter half is impressing the hell out of me .
And the best is yet to come...

anddo0

WTF did I just see?
I summoned two guys to help me with a boss fight.. We beat the boss rather easily. While we're celebrating, one of them turns into a giant vase and skates away.

I'm scared, I'm at a fog door after going down the elevator and fighting the giant
frog/croc monsters underneath sinners rise. I went through a gate and crossed a long path to a fog door. There's a boss behind it isnt there...

Clevinger

WTF did I just see?
I summoned two guys to help me with a boss fight.. We beat the boss rather easily. While we're celebrating, one of them turns into a giant vase and skates away.

lmao

there's an item that morphs you into an inanimate object as disguise. I really want to try it when someone invades me or when I go into the bell area.

brinstar

Man, I somehow beat the
Belfry Gargoyles
with no healing items and a single Gold Pine Resin. Somehow just went into ZEN MODE.

Question from last OT:

I think I only need two more items in
Forest of Fallen giants. One is on the hill above the hole where you get the fire sword. How do you get up there?
The other is on the
lava floor with the fire lizard scampering around. Do I need to just make a suicide run down there with the fall damage ring?

PS: I think everyone saying the game isn't as deep as Dark Souls is playing too much too fast. I'm taking in my surroundings. Playing maybe two to three hours at a time and am loving the areas (although I'm still sore about the graphics downgrade). The only thing I'm not enjoying right now is my disconnection with Majula. Another poster put it perfectly when he said finding a new route that led back to Firelink was such a great feeling, it's a shame we can fast travel right out of the gate because I think I would feel a deeper connection to Majula if I was excited to see it again.

halfbeast

Banned
WTF did I just see?

a giant vase? what??
I turned into a giant boar head :p

Chuck

Still without luck
Hint for where i need to go after the
bastille/belfry
?

I can't figure out where to go :/

Audioboxer

Strolling along and bam boss, covetous (sp?) demon. I was surprised as the area before had no boss and I was expecting a camp fire first lol.

Easy as pie boss mind you. Think I'll setup camp here for co-op to farm some medals.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Question from last OT:

I think I only need two more items in
Forest of Fallen giants. One is on the hill above the hole where you get the fire sword. How do you get up there?
The other is on the
lava floor with the fire lizard scampering around. Do I need to just make a suicide run down there with the fall damage ring?

PS: I think everyone saying the game isn't as deep as Dark Souls is playing too much too fast. I'm taking in my surroundings. Playing maybe two to three hours at a time and am loving the areas (although I'm still sore about the graphics downgrade). The only thing I'm not enjoying right now is my disconnection with Majula. Another poster put it perfectly when he said finding a new route that led back to Firelink was such a great feeling, it's a shame we can fast travel right out of the gate because I think I would feel a deeper connection to Majula if I was excited to see it again.

You can't get the item on the hill until extremely late in the game. You can't miss the item that gives you access to it, so just be patient for a while.

You can get access to the burning place with the salamander dudes by either equipping the cat ring and rolling off onto the barricade or by getting a key later on and opening the locked door near the entrance to the Last Giant.

Insaniac

Does reinforcing my staff boost my spell damage? I see it boosts my "magic damage" but I'm not sure if thats just my staff doing magic damage when i attack with it physically. I've got like 26 intelligence and its already teetering off and my magic damage is pretty meh (using starter staff)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Does reinforcing my staff boost my spell damage? I see it boosts my "magic damage" but I'm not sure if thats just my staff doing magic damage when i attack with it physically. I've got like 26 intelligence and its already teetering off and my magic damage is pretty meh (using starter staff)

upgrade a later staff. Stating one its crap anyway.

zma1013

So im in the early area forest of the giants and
theres some knight who got dropped on the ground by a bird and then he vanished in a puff of smoke and now he is nowhere to be found.
where did he go?

Ghazi

What is the armor from most of the trailers and for the Warrior (the name of the class from the Beta) called in the full game? I really want to get it, as it looks awesome. Anyone who has it, is it good?

Here's my Sun-Bro. I'm at the last area, I don't want to go through it though and find some more areas.

]

Asking for some advice, first off, I know that there's certain items that I can get access to earlier through the Bonfire Ascetic, and was wondering which are recommended.

Secondly, I've been mostly a sorcerer build (at SL125) but I've been curious about Hexes and some of the DEX weapons (like the Katana), I was wondering if that would be stretching my self to thin.

And last, I still can't find a decent replacement for my starter staff, some of the other's seem more powerful but none have better casting rates.

AngryMoth

Yeah and i killed
scorpion lady.

yeah got both the dudes there.
There a door in the
scorpion ladie's room that leads to the next area. Alternatively, if you exhausted the dialogue with the NPC at the end of Heide's tower then she moves to path between there and majula, she can help you out

TheGrue

I wasn't able to log into the Dark Souls servers for some reason (maintenance?) so I took the opportunity to go get Belfry and Grave of Saints done. Sorry, Bell and Rat Covenant, but you can't claim me as your victims. ;)

Audioboxer

Here's my Sun-Bro. I'm at the last area, I don't want to go through it though and find some more areas.

]

Asking for some advice, first off, I know that there's certain items that I can get access to earlier through the Bonfire Ascetic, and was wondering which are recommended.

Secondly, I've been mostly a sorcerer build (at SL125) but I've been curious about Hexes and some of the DEX weapons (like the Katana), I was wondering if that would be stretching my self to thin.

And last, I still can't find a decent replacement for my starter staff, some of the other's seem more powerful but none have better casting rates.

The only thing I've read is those bonfire ascetics mean that in new game+ you'll essentially be playing those areas as new game++. Just in case you didn't know that.

So, considering I'm well past the
Shaded Garden and am currently at the fog gate in the sticky spider web area
, I'm 99% certain I've encountered the enemy/area long ago, but I just can't recall where to farm for basic titanite shard.
Royal Swordsman
, maybe? Stupid limited blacksmith supply. I've got chunks and largies coming out of my bum.

A simple non-spoilery reply would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Gaf.

TheGrue

, I'm 99% certain I've encountered the enemy/area long ago, but I just can't recall where to farm for basic titanite shard.
Royal Swordsman
, maybe? Stupid limited blacksmith supply. I've got chunks and largies coming out of my bum.

Cheers, Gaf.

Um, yuck?

IJoel

Success! Just beat the
Lost Sinner
with the help of Lucatiel and someone with Potato in his name. Lucatiel even survived. Onto the next...

Thank you Mr. Potato!

Royal Swordsman

Cheers, Gaf.

Big guys with sledgehammers in
Harvest Valley
have been dropping a lot of shards for me. It's the area after Huntsman Copse.

Chuck

Still without luck
There a door in the
scorpion ladie's room that leads to the next area. Alternatively, if you exhausted the dialogue with the NPC at the end of Heide's tower then she moves to path between there and majula, she can help you out

Wow, I somehow managed
to kill her, see that door, and just not go in it?!
:\

Ugh, I feel dumb.

Dresden

Two items to use a bonfire ascetic for:

ng+ ring off the Skeletal Lords
- huge boost to casting time

southern ritual band +2 off Scorpioness
- 3 extra spell slots

Staff:

Sunset Staff -
given by Felkin if you have the right stats (20int/20faith, or something like that), S scaling in Dark

Staff of Amana -
random drop off those homing missile lasses at the shrine, S scaling in Magic

So I beat the giant
spider
boss, and lit the last
primal bonfire
but I only have a normal soul in my inventory and I have no clue where to go next. Went back to the boss arena and saw a crystal that, when examined, said "Alas, nothing happened" and am super confused on what to do.

You can't get the item on the hill until extremely late in the game. You can't miss the item that gives you access to it, so just be patient for a while.

You can get access to the burning place with the salamander dudes by either equipping the cat ring and rolling off onto the barricade or by getting a key later on and opening the locked door near the entrance to the Last Giant.

Thanks so much, man!

Mentok

Banned
Ok, so I'm sticking through this, and I think I'm starting to get the mechanics behind it (it is a little different from DS). Still struggling with parries, but that's ok.

My stats so far are
VGR: END: VIT: STR: DEX: ADP: all 10
ATN: 20
INT: 24
FAI: 4

I think I'm going to put enough into DEX/STR so I can wield a curved sword (like
black steel or berserker)
and a decent shield, otherwise I'm just going to pump up VGR, END, ATT and INT. Any suggestions, or am I dooming myself?

Also, question,
There's a turtle knight behind a gate in the Forest of Fallen Giants, is that reachable at a later stage?

isual

So I beat the giant
spider
boss, and lit the last
primal bonfire
but I only have a normal soul in my inventory and I have no clue where to go next. Went back to the boss arena and saw a crystal that, when examined, said "Alas, nothing happened" and am super confused on what to do.

yeah that's fine.

that's an old one's soul, it just isn't 'great'.

Astral

Those dudes at the bottom of
sinners tower
are no joke.

Make the elevator leave and lure them to the hole left behind. Easy kills.

What's the best way to get souls at level 151? I'm freaking poor and need money to upgrade stuff. I think I might be too high a level though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom