• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wow sorry Zero! But I really thought it was you, since you were so active there with tips and stuff! Still, playing the game and reading everyone's experiences and opinions made me want to play more, I wanted to be part of the discussion, but I couldn't. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one importing the Taiwan version, so that there's someone to talk to about the game.

zero needed help since they had said they were unfamiliar with the fame too. during that time i was bouncing back and forth between this thread and that one. am glad to see that most folk find themselves enjoying the game one way or another. exp inc most def needs more fans overseas.

do think there were other folks getting the asian w/ english release too

i have eyes on the thread so when you do geg the game feel free to ask away bout stuff and will answer to the best of my abilities

NA 'summer' release can't come soon enough
Might be because it is really early over here, but your comment just made me crack up ahaha. That waifus game is quite strong here in the west, indeed lol. They gave us a taste of it and now we are all hooked.

And yes, I absolutely loved Demon Gaze. I am a fan of dungeon crawlers so I am pretty biased, but the game deserved all of the positivity that it got around these parts. Had a ton of fun with it, hope that NISA brings over their future releases as well. They would be day 0 purchases for me.

EDIT: And sure do. I asked for 1-3 day shipping so I'm hoping that it gets here by the end of the week/beginning of the week after. I'll post screenshots to either confirm or not if the game is indeed all subbed or not (although I'm 99% sure that it will be).

Parakeetman

Might be because it is really early over here, but your comment just made me crack up ahaha. That waifus game is quite strong here in the west, indeed lol. They gave us a taste of it and now we are all hooked.

And yes, I absolutely loved Demon Gaze. I am a fan of dungeon crawlers so I am pretty biased, but the game deserved all of the positivity that it got around these parts. Had a ton of fun with it, hope that NISA brings over their future releases as well. They would be day 0 purchases for me.

im curious to know ehat the sales numbers looked like for demon gaze. hope that they were positive so that it encourages exp inc to release more games for localization.

TUSR

Banned

EDIT: And sure do. I asked for 1-3 day shipping so I'm hoping that it gets here by the end of the week/beginning of the week after. I'll post screenshots to either confirm or not if the game is indeed all subbed or not (although I'm 99% sure that it will be).

hah, I just bought a Vita about a week ago and im thirsting for games to play since I just got back into watching anime

I think it did pretty well, all things considered. I'm seeing a shift in gaming towards the more niche, RPG games this year, specially on the Vita. Might just be a momentary thing, but I guess you gotta take advantage of it while you can. 2014 has so many games that I want already, and E3 hasn't even started yet.
EDIT: Welcome to the Vita club! ^^

Parakeetman

I think it did pretty well, all things considered. I'm seeing a shift in gaming towards the more niche, RPG games this year, specially on the Vita. Might just be a momentary thing, but I guess you gotta take advantage of it while you can. 2014 has so many games that I want already, and E3 hasn't even started yet.

part of it is i think sony in the west is finally taking vthe vita seriously and in order to bolster their own sony ecosystem they are getting more games on the system. the recent choices of whats slated shows they are targeting core gamers, gamers of a certain genre. since in the end sales are sales and more titles allows for more word of mouth to spread to others

Yeah, most Vita owners are what you called core gamers. The fact that something like Senran Kagura, Danganronpa, X blaze or Akiba's Trip 2, which are really niche but are making it over is proof on it's own even though they are 3rd party. But even Sony is joining the fray too, with Freedom Wars and Oreshika and potentially, fingers crossed for E3, a Gravity Rush sequel (one can dream right?).

Parakeetman

i still think its funny that team gravity used to be project siren, the folks behind the siren series

Lusankya

How was the reception of the game in Japan? Is it a good game? I just started to watch the anime so i don't want to search this thread to closely in fear of spoilers.

Parakeetman

How was the reception of the game in Japan? Is it a good game? I just started to watch the anime so i don't want to search this thread to closely in fear of spoilers.

Its doing not too bad considering. That and reviews have been positive. There are some issues which folks talk about which are valid, but people seem to be enjoying the experience for what it is. Yeah for the anime stuff to be ready for the game watch up to at least ep 14.

Got charged on my CC and Play-Asia updated my order status to "Now preparing". I chose the quickest shipping option, if I get this on my birthday I will literally flip ahaha.

MSMrRound

10394798_467757343356381_6354476258817385931_n.jpg

Dual inlay for localized version confirmed by Bandai Namco Asia. You can flip it around for preferred design. (I prefer the second one)

Parakeetman

Dual inlay for localized version confirmed by Bandai Namco Asia. You can flip it around for preferred design. (I prefer the second one)

The balance is a lot better with the second one do agree there. The other Kirito takes too much of the viewers attention which throws the design off to the right.

Parakeetman

Reminds me of a poorer version of Fire Emblem Awakening's design too.

I dont get why they changed the design, since the JP one was pretty decent and made more sense the way they had it.

fireemblem3ds

oh yeah I picked up that 攻略本 just for the DLC stuff for the game. Ill snap off a photo of the cover. Its pretty thick. still cant play shit as am busy with work stuff and other things. D: I havent played anything asides of 30 minutes of wolfenstein to see how it looked on the PS4, but been about 2 weeks now of little to no gaming... D: Or almost 2 weeks.

TUSR

Banned
Parakeetman just wanted to say you've been doing a stellar job with this thread and answering questions, really appreciate it.

Pretty damn excited for this game.

Parakeetman

Parakeetman just wanted to say you've been doing a stellar job with this thread and answering questions, really appreciate it.

Pretty damn excited for this game.

Yep no problem, as always if folks have questions just feel free to ask and will answer if possible. Ive just been real busy with work and such so for things that is like end game related cant really answer those, so would be pulling info from the wikis / the guide book i have now instead.

The guide book is great full color pics and lots of data. Not bad for what translates into around 20 USD. Plus has the DLC content. I just wanted to see what the additional dungeon was. lol

Yup, definitely reversing this baby once it gets here. Only 2 more days! I'm expecting it to ship tomorrow, because of the time difference between Canada/Taiwan. I'm praying that it gets here on Friday, since it's my birthday I have the weekend booked off from work aha.

Parakeetman

Yup, definitely reversing this baby once it gets here. Only 2 more days! I'm expecting it to ship tomorrow, because of the time difference between Canada/Taiwan. I'm praying that it gets here on Friday, since it's my birthday I have the weekend booked off from work aha.

hahaha one thing for sure is your weekend is gonna fly by fast playing the game as you wander about in the hollow area.

antibolo

Banned
Left cover seems like it's drawn by the anime production team while right is by the original artist of the novels. I could be wrong though.

So my retailer just received their copies of the R3 Asian version of the game:

1524669_10152191176839331_1267665921641856768_n.jpg

Here's some points that I've noticed.
- The save from the Japanese version can be used in the Asian version. I was surprised to see the "Continue" option instead of the customize character screen that usually shows up upon first bootup of the game. So if you double-dipped, you won't lose any progress. (Unfortunately this also means you cannot have two saves....)
- The Asian version shares the same trophy list with the Japanese version, so you will not get two platinums if you have both.
- The two versions do not share the same update server. I tried refreshing the LiveArea menu of the game but there was no update to be seen for the Asian version (of course, the game isn't technically supposed to be out till tomorrow...so perhaps the update will start rolling in then...)
- The translation is just passable and feels sloppy..don't expect too much out of it. (This may probably be improved on by the time the NA version releases...assuming they are not using this script for the NA Summer release)

Here's some screencaps for the time being:
14103517019_0eb133087a_z.jpg

The menu translations are "alright" at best.
14286867021_ce28c5b8aa_z.jpg

The translated skill map:
14103607818_1d11881db6_z.jpg

Perhaps the most annoying part so far, your partner's convo bubble is overlapped by the selections....this shot was less annoying compared to some others....(don't remember this being an issue in the Japanese release...correct me if I'm wrong though)
14103600168_5c88ae01ae_z.jpg

Parakeetman

So my retailer just received their copies of the R3 Asian version of the game:]

Thanks for the updates am sure lots of people will appreciate this.

Also am pretty sure the translations are going to be 2 separate things. As would imagine they went with some quick n dirty / cheap localization outsourcing as its not like English is the main language in Asia anyways is the mindset behind it. Trust me Ive seen it first hand when it comes to stuff like this. Either that or they had it done internally, then ran passes over with testers from Asia making changes to the master text file.

They know better what happens to bad translations in the US and stuff with how the internet rips through things hard and fast.

I think it might depend on how you are standing next to the NPC. In regards to the word bubs. Its not like they are saying anything substatial for the most part anyways. Even the JP one for the 2 answers dont make much sense with the ... and いいね! being your only 2 responses lol with most of the time いいね! works as the positive reinforcement. Yui is actually the harder to converse one as she mixes it up with what you need to answer to her questions. I think its due to being fairly easy to raise the friendship bar with her as you dont need to take yui to combat and such like everyone else.

Man Im so looking forward to the large update since will be able to take Argo out to combat and such.

Dear god they called the "mace" a "club"? Its like they went with a more literal translation. Its not wrong, but if you look at the weapon type and the fact lisbeth for example is a mace master, kinda gives you the idea what the weapon category should really be called. Sure a mace is considered a club, but its a more specialized weapon than just being a heavy stick so to speak. Lisbeth is a "mace user" also.

$T2eC16RHJH8FHRdmrSP,BSKCTBn(Kg~~60_35.JPG

I still remember people not believing me when I said be wary of the quality of the localization that would be coming out with the Asian version.

Btw so how much did you pay for it? Am curious on what the price out there is.

200 Malaysian Ringgit...that's about 62 USD.

And I take what I said back about the translation being passable. It's more like "laughable". Typos and grammatical errors are aplenty in this. It sure looked like a rush job translation for the Asian folks lol.

I was too hopeful when I said that I wanted this game by my birthday, still hasn't even shipped yet. I am keeping my hopes up for getting it on Friday but that really doesn't seem likely.
Great seeing those impressions, and I guess with the translation, it was kind of expected. Is it "fan subbed anime" quality, or choppy broken english? I can deal with the former, but the latter will be a little harder to swallow. Also, is there really a reversible cover?

Parakeetman

And I take what I said back about the translation being passable. It's more like "laughable". Typos and grammatical errors are aplenty in this. It sure looked like a rush job translation for the Asian folks lol.

Hooboy that should be interesting hearing your impressions as you go through the game then haha.

Looks like I'm only going to keep the day1 poster and the DLCs then sell my copy to an unsuspecting folk. I am usually a physical cartridge guy but I can't tolerate rush jobs.

I backed up my current save to PS+ and then started a new one. Hooboy, just the short time between the introduction to Philia to the first time you reach Floor 76 and I've lost count on how many typos and missing words are there already.

It's as if they only focused on the Chinese translation (which I won't cover on how accurate it is given I can't read it), and then the localization team at the last minute just said "hey guys lets just throw in a simple English translation since there's so many folks who want the game in English".

Parakeetman

Looks like I'm only going to keep the day1 poster and the DLCs then sell my copy to an unsuspecting folk. I am usually a physical cartridge fag but I can't tolerate rush jobs.

To save on localization costs, I bet they did have a quick QA pass done to the text telling said folks as long as it makes sense leave it as is. Since thats whats its sounding like from what Phoenix_Cypher_K1 is telling us. I mean even seeing "club" in there without someone apparently even checking context of the series itself says something already.

Its interesting that the data can be shared. I wonder how it deals with all of the items and such. Since usually its things like that which is why data isnt shared between "regional" versions of games that use different languages.

Im surprised considering that there are a lot of SAO fans in Asia, so you would think that it would have gotten a bit more attention with the english bits regardless.

9sGSCR9.jpg

"Brb beta testing."

theres one other hilarious pic out there but like this one the actual source is removed so are left with some messed up thumbnail instead.

I'll leave a sample of how bad the translation is here. This is just one of many lol.
14267546526_7c5f572182_z.jpg

EDIT: And this is directly after answering the statement above. Oh god.
14290685725_f513ff4f13_z.jpg

Parakeetman

I'll leave a sample of how bad the translation is here. This is just one of many lol.

With how the english is written there sounds like the JP was run through google translate.

Anyways back to work, if you got any gameplay mechanics questions and whatnots just leave it here and will answer them to the best of my abilities.

EDIT: And this is directly after answering the statement above. Oh god.
14290685725_f513ff4f13_z.jpg

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment[OT] Would not doing other thing else

would make a fantastic inside joke title for the actual western release OT lol.

It's a bit disappointing, but I'm still going to bite the bullet and play it like this. Summer is already packed with releases, and I'm way too hyped for this to turn back. This is what's going to keep my hunger for more SAO satiated until the anime releases in July (yes I am like, one of the only few people that actually enjoyed the entire thing, burn me in a fire lol).
EDIT: LOL what a gem. At least it's understandable... I'm trying my best not to care about it lmfao.

Parakeetman

It's a bit disappointing, but I'm still going to bite the bullet and play it like this. Summer is already packed with releases, and I'm way too hyped for this to turn back. This is what's going to keep my hunger for more SAO satiated until the anime releases in July (yes I am like, one of the only few people that actually enjoyed the entire thing, burn me in a fire lol).

The gameplay should keep you busy enough. Just pray that the descriptions of the skills are at least understandable since this game knowing what all the skills do and using them makes a huge difference in combat. lol Mainly all the buffs and whatnots. Thankfully most of the stuff is pretty straight forward.

Whats going on in that pic is hes asking her about her combat style which effects her AI in battle with what it does. They will generally respond like should I attack more, support you more, etc.

Parakeetman

The gameplay should keep you busy enough. Just pray that the descriptions of the skills are at least understandable since this game understanding what all the skills do and using them makes a huge difference in combat.

Of course, I'm just joking around over here. I can definitely read that, and if anything I'll just create a metagame in my own head, in which I fix what the characters say in my own head LOOL. Skills do seem to be important, so here's hoping that those at least are a bit coherent. Beggars can't be choosers, at least I get to play the game early, and I have nothing else to keep me busy aside from Watch_Dogs until the end June/beginning of July.

Parakeetman

Of course, I'm just joking around over here. I can definitely read that, and if anything I'll just create a metagame in my own head, in which I fix what the characters say in my own head LOOL. Skills do seem to be important, so here's hoping that those at least are a bit coherent. Beggars can't be choosers, at least I get to play the game early, and I have nothing else to keep me busy aside from Watch_Dogs until the end June/beginning of July.

Ive only advanced the Hollow Fragment story just to gain access to the other parts of the Hollow Area haha.

Though you do kinda want to advance the Infinity Moment part of the story to have Lisbeths upgrading abilities get better as it helps your success rate. With how uncommon mats are for upgrades you really dont want her fucking up the process lol. Well uncommon for the better stats boosting components that is. Plus the more levels you try to put into the upgraded stat the more materials it takes. So while 99 might seem like a lot that you can carry it can vanish pretty quick.

TUSR

Banned
Ive only advanced the Hollow Fragment story just to gain access to the other parts of the Hollow Area haha.

Though you do kinda want to advance the Infinity Moment part of the story to have Lisbeths upgrading abilities get better as it helps your success rate. With how uncommon mats are for upgrades you really dont want her fucking up the process lol. Well uncommon for the better stats boosting components that is. Plus the more levels you try to put into the upgraded stat the more materials it takes. So while 99 might seem like a lot that you can carry it can vanish pretty quick.

waifu?

galvenize

I didn't really enjoy the anime (Must have watched 10 episodes or so) but this game... This game I'm looking forward to. Also I dislike Asahina so the freedom of choice given to the player regarding waifus is a positive. Plot wise how much does the game cover?

Parakeetman

Damn thats awful, can I play the JP version on my NA Vita? I might just translate it myself.

That you can if its a physical copy. Problem being is that if you dont have access to the JPSN you cant get the DLC.

Updates apparently work regardless of PSN region is what Ive heard.

If you are looking for a collectors edition of the J PSV version I have an unopened copy for sale for 75 USD + Shipping from Japan. Thing is generally 90-100+ USD on import sites such as Amiami / play asia, if they still even have it in stock that is.

Shipping done by EMS so there will be a tracking number also its fairly fast. Granted it costs more than normal post, its well worth it.

SAOHF-LE_12-10_001.jpg

Payment by paypal only unfortunately.

lisbeth-04.jpg

Shes actually pretty useful due to a lot of the mace skills stun shit. One problem though is some of the moves knock back enemies which can screw up your own attack causing it to miss due to the target being moved out of the damage area.
So to prevent that its suggested you stand on the opposite side of the target.

Ex.
*Key - L = Lisbeth, K = Kirito, T = Target

[L] [T] [K]

That way it just gets pushed into you instead of past you or to the side of you. Allowing for your own attacks to connect.

That's a sweet deal, I would definitely buy it if it wasn't for non-existant japanese kick-ass skills ahahaha! But to anyone who knows the language, around these parts, that's one deal and a half.
Shes actually pretty useful due to a lot of the mace skills stun shit.
You mean club right? ;) LOL sorry I had to.

Parakeetman

That's a sweet deal, I would definitely buy it if it wasn't for non-existant japanese kick-ass skills ahahaha! But to anyone who knows the language, around these parts, that's one deal and a half.

You mean club right? ;) LOL sorry I had to.

I would up with 3 copies 1 being my own. The other 2 have just kept on hand.

Am looking to make back at least some of the money and as anyone else whos bought from me in the past will tell you I never sell anything for any sort of markup or profit. Am in the GAF buy & sell thread.

I didn't really enjoy the anime (Must have watched 10 episodes or so) but this game... This game I'm looking forward to. Also I dislike Asahina so the freedom of choice given to the player regarding waifus is a positive. Plot wise how much does the game cover?

isshak_gravi

Bandai Namco Europe and Australasia Community Manager for Tales, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and One Piece
The western translation will be different :)

Top Bottom