• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8's Soundtrack is Amazing

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ryo is a safe bet since he also did Mario Kart Wii

I was just musing to myself how Ryo Nagamatsu is Nintendo's secret best composer these days. He did some amazing tracks in Galaxy 2, and with ALBW and Nintendo Land on his resume he has ascended to Holy Shit status. If he's doing these Mario Kart tracks too, hot damn!

clav

OP you lied.

Someone butchered Donut Plains. It sounds terrible! :(

DISAPPOINTED!

Why didn't they just stick to an original piano or something more percussive beat? Whoever chose the instrumentation did a horrible job as it sounds like a baseball stadium keyboard.

This interpretation is much better: http://youtu.be/-SRSOMx-wqc

edit: Just clicked on "Mario Circuit." My ears....

This sounds like an inspirational Christian rock ballad.

But instead of being about Jesus, it's about Captain Falcon.

There's some hair metal, too...if you're into that ;)

To the original point, I'd say both F-Zero X and GX have incredible soundtracks by any standard. I've never really considered MK's music to be listenable outside of the games, but MK8's looks to turn that around. Between 3D World, Tropical Freeze, and MK8, Nintendo is going all fucking out on their AAA soundtracks.

Neiteio

There's some hair metal, too...if you're into that ;)

To the original point, I'd say both F-Zero X and GX have incredible soundtracks by any standard. I've never really considered MK's music to be listenable outside of the games, but MK8's looks to turn that around. Between 3D World, Tropical Freeze, and MK8, Nintendo is going all fucking out on their AAA soundtracks.
Agreed on all fronts. Smash Bros. will deliver an amazing soundtrack, as well.

Regarding F-Zero X and GX, I recognize them both as great soundtracks, but I definitely prefer the style of X. From the "HOO... RAH... HOO... RAH" on the character select screen, to the wailing buttrock guitars on each course, it's just exquisitely extreme.

ffdgh

If you mean the sound samples used for midi music, well, this game (as shown in the Direct) is all or mostly played with live instruments at a recording session. Electric guitars, big band instruments, and all.

If you mean you wonder how the uploaders got the full songs, then I really wonder that, too. Maybe there's finally a sound test in the game?

They're on the offical site. http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/tracks/

Effer

Call me crazy, but I think I prefer my Nintendo music cheaper and more electronic sounding. This whole real orchestration music doesn't really stand out during gameplay.

clav

Are there any Mario Galaxy inspired tracks?

Seems like a missed opportunity here if the answer is no.

Sciz

It's nice to see EAD finally stepping their production quality up. I'm going to assume Sega's biannual Mario & Sonic mixes finally lit a fire under their collective asses.

Teknoman

Bowser's Castle could easily be his appearance theme in a new Mario RPG.

Tell me that doesnt sound like something from Arc System Works.

EDIT: Its awesome how they went full circle to the SNES Mario Kart theme for the main.

sfried

Do we know the composers?

Some of these absolutely sound like Ryo Nagamatsu, the composer for ALBW and Nintendoland. I like him a lot, but sometimes his stuff is a tiny bit *too* similar.

I'm highly suspoecting Kenta Nagata (MK64) is once again involved in this.

Teknoman

Would be nice if others who still think game music = beep boop beep could hear some of this stuff (or stuff from anything as far back as 16 bit lol).

Kinda personal annoyance when you see a commercial going for game style and it sounds like some old computer game.

GCX

I love how well Nintendo's composers combine orchestrated and synth sounds together. They've been perfecting that since Mario Galaxy.

HUELEN10

After hearing it all multiple times, only Thwomp Ruins and Mount Wario are "classics" to me as far as songs for new tracks goes. The rest sound great as music, but could fit a lot better. The 2 I mentioned sound like pure unadulterated Mario, and fit like hand in glove.

I only listened to the first couple, but really liking what i am hearing so far.

Agreed on all fronts. Smash Bros. will deliver an amazing soundtrack, as well.

Regarding F-Zero X and GX, I recognize them both as great soundtracks, but I definitely prefer the style of X. From the "HOO... RAH... HOO... RAH" on the character select screen, to the wailing buttrock guitars on each course, it's just exquisitely extreme.

Yeah for sure, Fall Down to the Scream is ear-bleedingly awesome.

Call me crazy, but I think I prefer my Nintendo music cheaper and more electronic sounding. This whole real orchestration music doesn't really stand out during gameplay.
You have a point. In fact the one thing I wasn't impressed with in the original MK8 trailers was the music. It lacked impact and seemed to get lost in the background. But the main theme performed in the recent Nintendo Direct got me back on board. On its own, this stuff sounds fantastic. But I think you need very good sound speakers/headphones to appreciate these complex live instrument arrangements during gameplay, and even then it can be overwhelming. There is certainly something to be said for more simple electronic tones, and it's not just nostalgia talking.

Hasney

You have a point. In fact the one thing I wasn't impressed with in the original MK8 trailers was the music. It lacked impact and seemed to get lost in the background. But the main theme performed in the recent Nintendo Direct got me back on board. On its own, this stuff sounds fantastic. But I think you need very good sound speakers/headphones to appreciate these complex live instrument arrangements during gameplay, and even then it can be overwhelming. There is certainly something to be said for more simple electronic tones, and it's not just nostalgia talking.

With music this good, if there's not an audio mix option where I can turn down the engine noise and crank the music up, I may be likely to kill somebody.

akaoni

Banned
Didn't know the soundtrack had all more or less leaked, the Rainbow Road 64 remix is a big part of why I want the game. It's sweet.

I nearly lost my shit when I heard the first race track music from Mario Kart 64 sounding the way it did on the direct.

Can OP (or anyone) divide the tracks up by which game they come from. Not much into Mario Kart but I love this music. Really, I just want to know which ones are from Mario Kart 64.

KaneU

that Moo Moo Meadows track is not the remake of the N64 one, or is it?

That one got already remade for the Wii version...

ffdgh

that Moo Moo Meadows track is not the remake of the N64 one, or is it?

That one got already remade for the Wii version...

No no moo moo farms is what you're thinking of from mario kart 64 and it was a retro for mario kart ds. Moo moo meadows is from mario kart wii

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is the one thing I'm leaving as a surprise for myself. Of course I've heard bits and pieces from Directs and what not and what I've heard is making me really look forward to hearing the full renditions.

That throwback to the SMK title theme is delicious.

Toadette

Banned
Oh I get why they've put Rainbow Road from Nintendo 64 on Mario Kart 8.
What is 8 times 8? 64, very clever Nintendo.

Top Bottom